PDA

View Full Version : Arbitration Deadline

AmarilloRed
12-01-2007, 09:02 AM
All of these players below are eligible for arbitration and the Reds must decide whether to offer it prior to the 9PM PST deadline on December 1. The players have until 9PM PST on December 7 to accept or reject the offer. By accepting the offer, the players immediately are added to the team’s 40-man roster and are considered signed players for 2008.

Brandon Philips
Gary Majewski
Matt Belisle
Jorge Cantu

I copied this fromMlb4U.com. All of these players the Reds will soon have to decide whether or not to offer arbitration to.

AdamDunn
12-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Offer Phillips, Majewski, and Belisle. Not Cantu.

jamess697
12-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Offer Cantu and Phillips-Maybe Belisle-cut losses with Majic

*BaseClogger*
12-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Offer Cantu and Phillips-Maybe Belisle-cut losses with Majic

MAYBE BELISLE?

ED44
12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I think you have to keep them all. While Majic has been nothing short of horrible, he is still young and hopefully the past two seasons were due to health issues.

Belisle is promising and I would at least sign him and if we upgrade over him we could always trade him to someone looking for back-end of the rotation help.

Cantu is a right-handed bat that can spare Votto. He impressed me in his time up with the big club. He is a professional hitter...and he's right-handed...something we lack a lot of.

Staffer
12-01-2007, 01:10 PM
There is a difference between the arbitration deadline for free agents and or players under teams control. All above are under the teams control, so the deadline to tender a contract is December 12th.

12-01-2007, 01:43 PM
There is a difference between the arbitration deadline for free agents and or players under teams control. All above are under the teams control, so the deadline to tender a contract is December 12th.

They are all keepers. Phillips is the only one who will get a big contract. The rest will get close to the major league minimum, except for Belisle, who might make twice that.

AmarilloRed
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Today's Arbitration Decisions

The decision whether to offer your own free agent arbitration can affect your team in two ways: you may end up retaining a player you didn't want, or you may score a draft pick or two as compensation. With that in mind let's run down the rumors regarding some Type A and B free agents.

* The Red Sox plan on offering arbitration to Type B Eric Gagne. Worst case scenario, they hang onto him for one more year. Best case, they get a sandwich pick.
* The Astros have to decide on Trever Miller and Mark Loretta. Both are Type Bs, but the Astros might not want them back. Richard Justice notes that the old Astro regime made a mistake not offering arbitration to Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte.
* The Angels decided not to offer arby to Bartolo Colon, because the most they could give him would be a 20% pay cut. So best case scenario they could get him for one year, $11.2MM. Colon is not a Type A or B, so there's no compensation regardless.
* The Phils will offer arb to Aaron Rowand but not Freddy Garcia. Rowand is a Type A, Garcia a Type B. It's a no-brainer with Rowand, who will hopefully net them a first-round pick plus a supplemental depending on who he signs with. With Garcia they risked getting burned as he might've accepted.
* The D'Backs will offer arbitration to Livan Hernandez, who will likely decline it to pursue a three-year deal. He's a Type B so they'll snag a sandwich pick.
* The Padres will offer arbitration to Michael Barrett, and Kevin Towers actually hopes he accepts. No worries if he doesn't - Barrett is a Type A. The Friars will also offer arby to Mike Cameron and Doug Brocail. Brocail nets them a sandwich pick for sure; Cameron still has a slight chance of accepting.
* The Braves did not offer arb to Andruw Jones but did for Ron Mahay. Both are Type Bs; I'm surprised they didn't want to risk Andruw returning on a one-year deal.

Some talk on players who have been offered arbitration, and others who have not.

jnwohio
12-01-2007, 06:53 PM

Agreed. None of these REDS guys in th original are free agents. They only become so if the team does not tender them a CONTRACT OFFER. If tendered, they can decide to sign it or file for arbitraton. Walking away is not an option for them. Being "fired" by the team is a possibility.

Again, none of these guys will be free agents unless the team nontenders them

AmarilloRed
12-01-2007, 08:44 PM

Baseball Arbitration For Free Agents

There is not a great source on the Internet for info about tonight's arbitration deadline. I've found a lot of outdated links so far. Maybe collaboratively we can create a guide to it in layman's terms here. Below is my understanding of the rules and tonight's deadline.

Tonight at midnight EST is the deadline for teams to offer arbitration to their former players who have filed for free agency. If arbitration is not offered, the team can still negotiate with the player but cannot receive draft pick compensation if he signs elsewhere. Only Type A and B free agents result in compensation, anyway.

If his old team does not offer arbitration, the player can still sign with that team and be eligible to play on Opening Day.

This is all separate from the non-tender deadline, which is December 12th. That is for players under team control (less than six years of service time) who do not have contracts for the 2008 season.

This would seem to indicate that you are correct. I initially misunderstood the difference in my opening post. None of the Reds I listed are free agents, so the Reds don't have to do anything right away. Their deadline really is Dec.12th. There are a number of players on other teams who are free agents, and it will be interesting to watch how other teams deal with these players who a decision will have to be made on whether they offer arbitration to them.