PDA

View Full Version : Nationals looking to trade Kearns and Lopez for starting pitching

AmarilloRed
12-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Nationals Shopping Lopez, Kearns

According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, the Nationals are shopping shortstop Felipe Lopez and outfielder Austin Kearns. Two targets: Mike Pelfrey of the Mets and Kevin Slowey of the Twins.

It wouldn't be surprising to see Omar Minaya flip Pelfrey for someone with more immediate value. While the Mets could use Kearns in right field, he's not the type of return one envisions for Pelfrey. Maybe for a Phil Humber though. Kearns will earn $5MM in '08, and $8MM in '09 plus a $10MM club option for '10 with a $1MM buyout. The 27 year-old hit .266/.355/.411 this year.

The match for Slowey seems better - Lopez could play short for the Twins and Kearns might be able to handle center. However, trading Slowey and Matt Garza in the same offseason seems unlikely, and even less likely if Johan Santana is moved. If Lopez's defense is truly improved, maybe the Rays would have interest.

I just had to laugh when I saw this. It seems the bloom is off the rose with Jim Bowden as far as Lopez and Kearns are concerned.

ChatterRed
12-04-2007, 12:18 AM
This just makes me laugh. I remember ole Jimbo gloating after he made that trade, on how these two would be their future starting SS and OFer for years to come.

My how the tune changes.

.....and there will be those on this board wanting to get those two back based on the anger toward that trade........hahaha.

Blue
12-04-2007, 12:36 AM
I think Kearns is poised for success next season. Lopez not so much.

What he recieves might exceed Bray, Majewski, and Thompson, but it won't be anything really good.

12-04-2007, 01:37 AM
I say we offer him Stanton and Castro for Kearns.

BEETTLEBUG
12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
I agree 757690 lets do that DEAL.

podgejeff_
12-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I'd jump on a Stanton and Castro for Kearns deal. There's gotta be some toolsy outfielder or old Red he'd take for Kearns? Castro needs to go obviously, but how about we throw in Freel instead of Stanton? Jimbo would be swimming in former Reds!

Dracodave
12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd jump on a Stanton and Castro for Kearns deal. There's gotta be some toolsy outfielder or old Red he'd take for Kearns? Castro needs to go obviously, but how about we throw in Freel instead of Stanton? Jimbo would be swimming in former Reds!

I'll give him Danny Graves phone number for Kearns...

terminator
12-04-2007, 12:25 PM
I never heard about a final resolution on the grievance that Krivsky filed. Does anyone know if it was resolved?

12-04-2007, 02:57 PM
I never heard about a final resolution on the grievance that Krivsky filed. Does anyone know if it was resolved?

Selig will announce his decision on the same day he announces that Pete Rose will be re-instated.

ChatterRed
12-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Bowden is only trying to trade those two so that when Selig dishes out his punishment, where the Nationals have to return one of those players to the Reds, Leatherpants can say "uh......we don't have them anymore". LOL.

gedred69
12-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Bowden is only trying to trade those two so that when Selig dishes out his punishment, where the Nationals have to return one of those players to the Reds, Leatherpants can say "uh......we don't have them anymore". LOL.

Oh yes!! He is indeed that repugnantly, slimy. His parents are some reptile genus I'm convinced!

AmarilloRed
12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Throw in a contract extension signed by slugger Wily Mo Pe¿a, and the Nationals have four outfielders they believe are capable of starting -- Kearns, Milledge, Dukes and Pena -- for three spots. Top club officials, though, said they don't intend to trade any. Kearns, the only one on the roster for Opening Day '07, is a favorite of Bowden and Manager Manny Acta despite a sub-par offensive year, and both said he is unlikely to be dealt.

It lloks like the Nationals will not be trading any outfielders after all.

Handofdeath
12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I think Kearns is poised for success next season.

People have been saying that for five years. As much as people have criticized "The Trade", perhaps WK got the best he could because ML teams think that Kearns and Lopez, though talented, are not all that special.

gedred69
12-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Kearns is a whiner and difficult to coach. Lopez also hard to coach, and has other problems not fit to discuss here.

ChatterRed
12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Kearns is a whiner and difficult to coach. Lopez also hard to coach, and has other problems not fit to discuss here.

I also heard that Kearns is uncoachable and we'll leave it at that.