PDA

View Full Version : What if WK can't make a deal for a starter?

ChatterRed
12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
What if Wayne Krivsky can't/doesn't make a deal for a #2 starter in the Winter Meetings? How will you feel about that?

Assuming the asking price was too high.........will you praise him for not selling the entire farm or will you be ticked that he didn't get it done?

GoReds33
12-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I think that he has tried. That's all you can ask in today's market. There arew way too few good pitchers out there, and too many teams we need. If he doesn't do anything, atleast he got Cordero. That's more than I expected.

Handofdeath
12-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Honestly, the Reds need another starter bad but a smaller deal might wind up bringing in that #2/3 starter. Who knew when the Reds got Harang that he would be this good? But inactivity/stupidity by the Reds FO has proven that method to be pretty hit or miss. Mostly miss.

schmidty622
12-04-2007, 09:34 PM
He probably wont be able too and thats fine. 2008 wont be the year of the Reds, 2009 will.

ChatterRed
12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
After what Detroit just paid, I'm not so sure I want Wayne to do the same. Wow. Detroit overpaid big time.

It's not worth it. Not saying Bailey and Cueto are definites, but maybe we better consider giving them a try?

Prf15
12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Detroit also got Cabrera and Willis so figure 3 prospects for each.

Bip Roberts
12-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Hope that Cueto and Bailey are as good as we think they can be.

steig
12-04-2007, 10:07 PM
At a certain point you have to test your young talent in Bailey and Cueto. Nothing will train them like pitching consistently in the majors.

hippie07
12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I think barring disaster, if Bailey follows the lead of young phenoms that have come before him, he'll be putting up a 3 era by mid-year and will slide into our #3 spot. Does that mean we don't need a #3... no.... I cross my fingers and wish for another Arroyo/Wily Mo bargain.

jmac
12-04-2007, 10:12 PM
He probably wont be able too and thats fine. 2008 wont be the year of the Reds, 2009 will.

It appears Bob C is looking more to present tense.

Carolina Red
12-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I know he is trying. I just hope he doesn't overpay for someone who is just a stopgap until Bailey and Cueto are ready. A lot of people forget that this team was very competitive two years ago and the main thing that kept them out of the playoffs wasn't pitching, it was the injuries to some key bats and the inability to score runs down the stretch. We don't necessarily have to have a Bedard or Lincecum to contend. We need someone who is solid, stays consistent and healthy. Something like what Kenny Rogers has given Detroit for the past couple of years.

Krawhitham
12-04-2007, 10:25 PM
What if WK can't make a deal for a starter?

He continues being a failure as a GM

AdamDunn
12-04-2007, 10:37 PM

Couldn't agree more!

hippie07
12-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Personally, I think he pulls off a big deal, but only for a sure thing - WK is in the last year of his contract, so I don't think BCast is going to settle for 4th place in the Central again. If he banksrupts the farm but gives BCast a title, he guarantees himself a job and another 4 years or so to tinker around and rebuild the farm....

Lets not overlook the fact that WK has personal interests that may conflict w/ the team's interest on occasion.

AmarilloRed
12-04-2007, 10:48 PM
The end of the Winter Meetings is not the end of the off-season. He can continue to use the foundation he has bullt through this period, and finally bring us some starting pitching before March begins.

ChatterRed
12-04-2007, 11:44 PM
He continues being a failure as a GM

Failure? They're on the cusp of being pretty good. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Previous management couldn't get it done with Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Junior, Edwin Encarnacion, and Aaron Harang. Previous management couldn't fix the lineup or pitching either.

Ross > Larue BY FAR.........I'm sure WK would like to continue to upgrade the catching.
Phillips > than any second baseman we've had in the last 10 years
Gonzalez > Lopez
EE> previous regime
Hatteberg/Votto> or = to Sean Casey at a discounted price
Arroyo acquired for Willy Mo= incredible move
Hamilton acquired in a rule V trade = incredible move
Bruce has not been traded and should be in our OF for years to come - Reds are only team in majors to have 2 prospects in the top 10
WK fixed the depth problem on this team by signing Freel, finding Keppinger/Hopper/Cantu...........
Extended Harang and Arroyo
Found Burton in rule V signing......

Need I go on?

Look at where this team was and where they are now. They are on the cusp of being a contender.

Handofdeath
12-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Failure? They're on the cusp of being pretty good. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Previous management couldn't get it done with Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Junior, Edwin Encarnacion, and Aaron Harang. Previous management couldn't fix the lineup or pitching either.

Ross > Larue BY FAR.........I'm sure WK would like to continue to upgrade the catching.
Phillips > than any second baseman we've had in the last 10 years
Gonzalez > Lopez
EE> previous regime
Hatteberg/Votto> or = to Sean Casey at a discounted price
Arroyo acquired for Willy Mo= incredible move
Hamilton acquired in a rule V trade = incredible move
Bruce has not been traded and should be in our OF for years to come - Reds are only team in majors to have 2 prospects in the top 10
WK fixed the depth problem on this team by signing Freel, finding Keppinger/Hopper/Cantu...........
Extended Harang and Arroyo
Found Burton in rule V signing......

Need I go on?

Look at where this team was and where they are now. They are on the cusp of being a contender.

Well said. If this team had Francisco Cordero in 2006 the Reds win the NL Central.

fourrunhomer
12-05-2007, 05:50 PM
I applaud Krivsky for not making the trades that have been talked about. These teams are asking way too much. I realize they are in position to ask this but hopefully other teams will see how they are over asking and later in the offseason the price will come down. The Tigers fell for it with the Marlins But so far they are the only ones. Notice how even the Big players are saying that these teams are crazy if they think thay are going to get that much in return. There is no way I'd trade more than one top prospect and up to two 2nd tier prospects/major leaguers.

gedred69
12-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Well said. If this team had Francisco Cordero in 2006 the Reds win the NL Central.

I add my comment of, Well said. If Krivsky had been here 2 years earlier like John Allen wanted, we'd be talking entirely differently. Uncle Carl over-ruled him in favor of O'Brien, because he had Ohio ties.