PDA

View Full Version : Reds interested in Jon Lieber

AmarilloRed
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Free-agent pitcher Jon Lieber is attracting interest from the Royals, Astros and Reds. The Mets and Rangers have also inquired about him as a potential fallback option. Lieber missed the second half of last season, but not with an arm injury. He ruptured a tendon in his foot running to back up home plate, but he's expected to be fully healthy by spring training.

BEETTLEBUG
12-05-2007, 07:07 PM
He would be OK.

Bip Roberts
12-05-2007, 07:12 PM
He would be ok but hes not really much of an improvement over in house candidates based on injuries and his medicore last year even before he was injured.

Prf15
12-05-2007, 07:20 PM
He has been a very dependable starter outside of the injuries. His ERA always is around 4.30 or so which would be good for our 3rd starting at the moment. How would a rotation of this look like:

1 - Bedard
2 - Harang
3 - Wells/Lieber
4 - Bailey
5 - Belisle/Tomko/Cueto/Maloney

GoReds33
12-05-2007, 07:28 PM
He has been a very dependable starter outside of the injuries. His ERA always is around 4.30 or so which would be good for our 3rd starting at the moment. How would a rotation of this look like:

1 - Bedard
2 - Harang
3 - Wells/Lieber
4 - Bailey
5 - Belisle/Tomko/Cueto/MaloneyDavid Wells is not even close to being a third starter. Lieber is. Lieber could be a 3, 4, or 5 guy for the Reds. At the very least, getting him would fill voids until Bailey, Cueto, and Maloney are ready.

Orenda
12-05-2007, 07:37 PM

1 - Bedard
2 - Harang
3 - Wells/Lieber
4 - Bailey
5 - Belisle/Tomko/Cueto/Maloney

Did you trade Arroyo for Bedard? I want no part of David Wells, if he's not motivated to stay in playing shape for some of the best teams, what makes you think he would be a solid choice to pitch in Cincinnati and GABP for a full season? Lieber I wouldn't mind, but not as a 3rd starter.

Prf15
12-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Total brian fart, my bad. Don't know how I forgot Arroyo.:eek::arroyo::beerme:

It would be Bedard, Harang, Arroyo, Wells/Leiber, Belisle/Bailey/Cueto/Maloney.

hippie07
12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Hard to believe we can pull off Bailey, Cueto, and Bedard ... prob have to give up one of 'em

AdamDunn
12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
rather take a risk on Bartolo Colon who was good consistantly two years ago than Jon Lieber who was inconsistantly good 4 years ago

jmac
12-05-2007, 07:59 PM
rather take a risk on Bartolo Colon who was good consistantly two years ago than Jon Lieber who was inconsistantly good 4 years ago

I havent heard Colon's name mentioned much. As far as Leiber, if we count Bailey as a rotation spot, that still leaves us with two open. Leiber would be alright I guess.

BEETTLEBUG
12-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Leiber or Colon?

Hondo
12-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Lets trade for Santana. Wayne Krivisky already got Kyle Loshe!!!

Anyhow... Sign Jon Lieber and at worst he is a great Long Man in the Bull Penn...

Thanks

ChatterRed
12-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Lieber would be a fine #4 or #5 guy. I'd be fine with that. We need to buy some time til Cueto is ready.

It's who will be the #3 starter that I'm concerned about.

captainmorgan07
12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
i'd be reasonably happy with Leiber he's been pitching in the NL so im sure he's pitched at GABP a few times. This would give him some idea how to pitch here.

Stephenk29
12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
As a one year plug he would be ok, although I'd rather look more into Colon's situation. Part of me would rather just watch Cueto go through some growing pains rather than watch Lieber. It just seems like 09 will be our first year to really make some noise with guys developing. We should allow Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, and Hamilton to get all the BP they can at this point.

fewfirstchoice
12-07-2007, 04:08 PM
1)Harang
2)Arroyo
3)Leiber
4)Bailey
5)Belisle
Doesnt look great but its not terrible either.I still think the WK will add 2 more arms to the rotation.One via the trade route the other coming from a FA signing probably Leiber,Tomko, or Boomer.I would be fine with any one but Leiber would be best.I say he pulls off a trade for someone thats not getting mentioned so much right now.But I believe he gets 2 more arms to go with Harang,Arroyo,(Belisle or Bailey) one will be in the rotation not both.The other will be traded.The Reds rotation with the right moves could look pretty solid.

SMcGavin
12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Lieber's a solid option, he made $7.8M last year though so it's not gonna be cheap. Would be pretty suprised if we sprung for Cordero and Lieber in the same offseason but you never know.