PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Clippard

Topcat
12-06-2007, 03:14 AM
I am not sure why it is bothering me that Washington got him in a trade for some minor leaguer but it does! This is the point I open my self up for ridicule. But I watched this kid pitch for the Yankees and I just loved his bulldog mentality. He came across as a kid who was unfazed by the big stage and the pressure that had potential to pitch in the majors and be a serviceable 4 or 5 starter. I guess what I am trying to say is my gut feeling is this kid can be very decent to border line very good.

I am not a numbers guy in that I believe desire and intelligence can inspire a guy to reach far beyond his projected expectations. I am seriously burning that the Reds did not grab this kid with some of there mid prospects that it would have taken to acquire this kid :rolleyes:

camisadelgolf
12-06-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm pretty much with you. If I were the Reds, I would've tried to match the Nationals' offer.

TRF
02-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I was looking at the Nats roster and came across this transaction. This part of the story on espn made me laugh:

The deal was agreed to late Monday, but the Nationals wanted to give Clippard an enhanced MRI exam of his elbow and shoulder to make sure there was not structural problem behind his demotion to the minor leagues last year. Albaladejo also passed a physical, Nationals general manager Jim Bowden said.

I think this is a steal for the Nats. They certainly sold high on a reliever that had virtually no track record, a total of 14 MLB innings in which he pitched well, but was likely used in low impact situations. I really like the Nats manager. Their pen was pretty decent despite it's relative inexperience. And they got a lot out of guys getting chances kinda late in their career like Chris Schroder, and perhaps rushed a kid or two. Ross Detwiler looks interesting, but I doubt he is any higher than AA this year. But you never know.

I'll say this, JimBo is putting together an interesting team. A lot of longshots, but they won't be boring.

M2
02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Clippard's always pitched better than his stuff, which is encouraging. He really hit a wall last year, but the Reds would have done well to find a place for him in the AAA/AA mix.

fearofpopvol1
02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I had been saying since last season that I really wanted the Reds to try to go after him. He looked promising after he was first brought up and then hit a wall and the Yanks pretty much gave up on him after that. He could've been had for cheap. Bummer on this one.

cincyinco
02-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Sorry ya'll, but I won't be losing any sleep over not having Clippard in the mix.