PDA

View Full Version : Coffey in better shape

AmarilloRed
12-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Well, there's less of Todd Coffey here. He said he's lost 19 1/2 pounds and it's noticable. First thing I said to him after hello was it was noticeable that he's lost some weight. He said 9 pounds of body fat are gone. He's wearing a monitor that measures his caloric intake and how many calories he burns and everything. It's pretty amazing. He's in much better shape and by February, he's going to be in even better shape.

posted by ctrosecrans at 3:17 PM

Bip Roberts
12-07-2007, 11:02 PM
He needed it for sure

captainmorgan07
12-07-2007, 11:06 PM
better shape and i read somewhere that he and his high school pitching coach figured out he was bending his back to much during his delivery. Hopefully the weight loss and his fixed mechanics returns him to good form.

Degenerate39
12-08-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm glad he's working on improving hopefully he shows that improvement on the mound.

Orenda
12-08-2007, 09:00 AM
If the 06 version of Coffey returns, and Bray rebounds like most of us think he can. The bullpen could really start to become a weapon at the end of games. Glad to see Coffey is working hard, the weight thing is one of my pet-peeves. If you can produce and be out of shape thats great but if your getting knocked around I find it easier to root for someone who I can't accuse of failing to maximize on their talent.

buck
12-08-2007, 10:29 AM
If I remember correctly, early in Coffey's minor-league career, he weighed nearly 300 lbs., and he was a marginal prospect at best. He didn't begin to show some promise in the minors until after he began taking better care of himself. He may have lost focus on his conditioning once he reached the majors. Too much per diem money? LOL

ChatterRed
12-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Well, I will give him credit for caring enough to do something about his weight and conditioning...........and also for examining his mechanics and making adjustments. It sounds like he cares and all we can do is hope it leads to improvement. He's got the fastball we need from our relievers and he's proven all he can prove in the minors. It's make or break time for Todd Coffey and I think he knows it. I wish him the best and hope he has a great season.

mlbfan30
12-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, I will give him credit for caring enough to do something about his weight and conditioning...........and also for examining his mechanics and making adjustments. It sounds like he cares and all we can do is hope it leads to improvement. He's got the fastball we need from our relievers and he's proven all he can prove in the minors. It's make or break time for Todd Coffey and I think he knows it. I wish him the best and hope he has a great season.

The only thing he cares about is staying in the majors and money.
It's not like he suddenly said he wants to help the Reds win. He just realized if he doesn't improve, he'll stay in AAA and make nothing. But this is a normal response so if it helps the Reds then thats fine

ChatterRed
12-08-2007, 12:32 PM
The only thing he cares about is staying in the majors and money.
It's not like he suddenly said he wants to help the Reds win. He just realized if he doesn't improve, he'll stay in AAA and make nothing. But this is a normal response so if it helps the Reds then thats fine

.....uh, dude........uh, everyone of us has to perform in our jobs or we'll be out of a job. There's nothing new there that doesn't apply to a baseball player or a guy working for Cintas, AK Steel, or Carl Lindner. And we all work FOR THE MONEY.

I think you were somewhat harsh in that very few of us work FOR FUN. We all work FOR DA MONEY!

mlbfan30
12-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I think you were somewhat harsh in that very few of us work FOR FUN. We all work FOR DA MONEY!

That was my point. Others are acting as if Coffey is just trying to be in better shape because he likes the Reds and wants to win

gedred69
12-08-2007, 05:52 PM
If I remember correctly, early in Coffey's minor-league career, he weighed nearly 300 lbs., and he was a marginal prospect at best. He didn't begin to show some promise in the minors until after he began taking better care of himself. He may have lost focus on his conditioning once he reached the majors. Too much per diem money? LOL

You are correct! Actually I think he weighed over 300lbs., and was a 41st rounder. I gotta' say though this guy makes me run for the concession stands when he comes in. He's got a lot to prove before I'll be able to watch. He should be lights out. He will need a new brain, because what I saw last year was a guy who's mind had been broken.

jnwohio
12-08-2007, 06:02 PM
You are correct! Actually I think he weighed over 300lbs., and was a 41st rounder. I gotta' say though this guy makes me run for the concession stands when he comes in. He's got a lot to prove before I'll be able to watch. He should be lights out. He will need a new brain, because what I saw last year was a guy who's mind had been broken.

Yes and his 90 whatever fastball is one of the straightest a person will ever see. He needs to show it but be able to keep it out of the hitting zone and thow a slider for his out pitch.

redsupport
12-08-2007, 06:52 PM
he was/is/and always will be garbage

gedred69
12-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Ya' gotta' learn to quit holding it in! Tell us how you really feel:D
(I'm leaning the same way though).

Orenda
12-08-2007, 07:10 PM

I don't know about that, he was pretty much lights out for the first 2-3 months of 06 when Narron sent him out almost every chance he got. He was awful last year though.

redsupport
12-08-2007, 07:14 PM
His hits per innings pitched is an abject absolute utter disaster

crazybob60
12-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I'll tell you what, as I was walking past the photograph section yesterday at Redsfest, Todd Coffey was standing up next to someone and the first thing that popped into my head was that he sure does look like he has lost some weight and lost some for the good and looks like he is in excellent shape....let's hope he has some of that confidence back as well. I think that is what one of his biggest problems was last season was not him being out of shape (sure that was a big problem) but his biggest problem in my opinion was that he had zero confidence out there on the mound. I hope the best for him, he is one heck of a nice fella.