PDA

View Full Version : Reds interested in Mike Cameron?

sammonator
12-08-2007, 12:14 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/weblog/2007/12/camerons_options_may_expand.html

Prf15
12-08-2007, 12:14 AM
According to Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Mike Cameron's agent tonight said he has a new suitor. Krasovic makes an educated guess that the Reds are that team. He cites Cameron's desire to play for Dusty Baker, the possible defensive improvement, and the availability of Josh Hamilton as factors. It would be odd for the Reds to spend their remaining money on a position player though.

Cameron enjoyed his time in Cincinnati in 1999, hitting .256/.357/.469 as a 26 year-old before being included in the Griffey trade. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Reds brought back Cameron and Brett Tomko? And Antonio Perez is probably kicking around somewhere too.

Please no.

Bip Roberts
12-08-2007, 12:17 AM
no way

ED44
12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
There HAS to be a reason for our interest in OF's. I am guessing Hamilton and Freel are as good as gone...

Bip Roberts
12-08-2007, 12:20 AM
I think the rumors are just false and made up honestly.

ED44
12-08-2007, 12:23 AM
I think the rumors are just false and made up honestly.

I sure hope so...I have NO desire for Cameron back in Cincy...:thumbdown

Bip Roberts
12-08-2007, 12:24 AM
I put this in the same category of Tomko Lieber and Wells.

People just guessing and hoping it sticks for a few extra reads.

mlbfan30
12-08-2007, 12:34 AM
So once Hamilton is traded they can block Bruce again?

mlbfan30
12-08-2007, 12:37 AM
People are underestimating the power of Dusty Baker. He's going to try and get all the players he likes (Willis, Cameron) with no recognition of the star prospects that would be blocked if we get them (Cueto, Bruce)

roby
12-08-2007, 01:28 AM
People are underestimating the power of Dusty Baker. He's going to try and get all the players he likes (Willis, Cameron) with no recognition of the star prospects that would be blocked if we get them (Cueto, Bruce)

I vote a very loud NO! on Mike Cameron.

12-08-2007, 01:30 AM
He starting the 2008 season with a 25 day suspension for using an illegal stimulant.

Hopefully, that means his value is decreasing, and he can be signed on the cheap.
But that also means that he is unavailable to the Reds for the first month. I am thinking that if the Reds sign him, it is as a fourth outfielder and defensive replacement. He is not replacing anyone (Hamilton), or getting in anyone's way (Bruce).

Considering he is 35 and starting the season under suspension, I doubt anyone is offering a full time starting job, or a lot of money.

I do think that his numbers have been suppressed by playing in pitchers parks the last 7 years. I think he could put up nice #'s in GAPB.

hippie07
12-08-2007, 01:37 AM
This is funny... the same thread on the org is excited about the possibility of Cameron - while us sundeckers are getting ready to jump out a window.....;)

ChatterRed
12-08-2007, 02:26 AM
....because the old timers on ORG are overrated in their opinions.

Natty Redlocks
12-08-2007, 06:27 AM

Just wait til the Hamilton-for-Willis trade goes down and we have to take Jacque Jones too.

Natty Redlocks
12-08-2007, 06:28 AM
....because the old timers on ORG are overrated in their opinions.

In your underrated opinion?

jmac
12-08-2007, 10:41 AM
To me,if this is true only proves WK may have a deal in the works involving Hamilton. If that is the case I would rather see Rios as discussed in the other thread but Cameron would be good otherwise. He can cover alot of ground plus hit25-30 hrs in GABP.
Worst part is the suspension.

jmac
12-08-2007, 10:44 AM

As far as Willis and Cueto. Believe me, Willis would not block Cueto. This team is questionable in 3 starting spots so there is enough room for any pitcher that proves himself. I imagine Cueto will start out in louisville for awhile at least.

thatcoolguy_22
12-08-2007, 10:49 AM
If Cameron could be had on a 2 year deal with a club option 3rd year cheaply, we would be crazy not to sign him. That would give us the flexibility needed to push Josh Hamilton for a SP and greatly increase the defense up the middle which would help our pitchers greatly as well.

If Cameron is the first of a couple of moves then I am all for it. But if we sit out for the rest of the offseason I will be scratching my head:dunno:

captainmorgan07
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
i'd rather have hamilton than cameron but if both freel and hamilton are gone we need another outfielder. Bruce would have to play the first 25 games see how he does if he's tearing the cover off the ball continue to keep him in the lineup if he's not we have cameron to step in.

kbrake
12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Cameron would be huge for this team. We do not have a true CF on this team and Jay Bruce is not the answer. Cameron would be a real solid move.

UK Reds Fan
12-08-2007, 02:24 PM
If defense is that big of a loss with Hamilton in CF...then why not just go with Hopper/Dickerson platoon in CF? I can't imagine Cameron would be that great defensively at age 35 plus a 25 game suspension to start the year...is this reallly worth it?

kbrake
12-08-2007, 02:42 PM
If defense is that big of a loss with Hamilton in CF...then why not just go with Hopper/Dickerson platoon in CF? I can't imagine Cameron would be that great defensively at age 35 plus a 25 game suspension to start the year...is this reallly worth it?

I really think it would be worth it if you could give him a deal with no more than 2 years. Hopper is not even close to the defensive player that Cameron is. He is just the kind of guy we need to help our outfield defense. When you have Dunn in left and Junior in right you better be as strong as you can be in center.

*BaseClogger*
12-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I am thinking that if the Reds sign him, it is as a fourth outfielder and defensive replacement. He is not replacing anyone (Hamilton), or getting in anyone's way (Bruce).

What makes you so confident of this? The fact that Dusty Baker is now our manager:p:?

Stephenk29
12-08-2007, 04:33 PM
As much as I like Cameron this move doesn't seem to fit our needs. We're better off at least overpaying for Silva or whoever for pitching. He would improve our defense a great deal but he is aging and realistically can't even be playing three - four more years. Hamilton on the other hand could play over double that length for much cheaper.

*BaseClogger*
12-08-2007, 04:35 PM
As much as I like Cameron this move doesn't seem to fit our needs. We're better off at least overpaying for Silva or whoever for pitching. He would improve our defense a great deal but he is aging and realistically can't even be playing three - four more years. Hamilton on the other hand could play over double that length for much cheaper.

Silva will get a 4 or 5 yr contract...

Stephenk29
12-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Silva will get a 4 or 5 yr contract...

I met pitching in general opposed to Cameron, not him in particular. Silva will be 29 next year, a four year deal wouldn't be all that bad. Cameron will be 35, big difference. VERY RISKY though. I could live with him being signed.

*BaseClogger*
12-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I met pitching in general opposed to Cameron, not him in particular. Silva will be 29 next year, a four year deal wouldn't be all that bad. Cameron will be 35, big difference. VERY RISKY though. I could live with him being signed.

I understand what you meant, its just that I'd rather wait to spend money till next offseason than overpay carlos silva or anyone else out there this year...

Stephenk29
12-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Cameron just seems like a guy we would go get if he was the last piece of the puzzle for a push for the Series. Although anythings possible, I don't see us making a huge playoff run this year. By the time all the young guys roll around Cameron will be at the end of his days and declined.

12-08-2007, 05:22 PM
What makes you so confident of this? The fact that Dusty Baker is now our manager:p:?

Not confident at all. I guess I should have said "I'm hoping" instead.

AmarilloRed
12-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Krasovic did say it was an educated guess. I don't think there is much to it.