PDA

View Full Version : Darren McFadden and the Cincinnati Bengals

TC81190
12-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Now let me just start out by saying that I know the Bengals have more pressing needs than another RB.

But as it stands the Bengals have the number 9 pick in the draft. So let me say this: Hypothetically, if McFadden was available at the number 9 spot, would anyone else, like myself, want deep down inside for them to take him, even with the defense in shambles?

Now I realize there's no way he gets past NE at the number 2 pick (what a joke of a punishment). But I thought I'd indulge this selfish thought on my behalf, and see what the rest of you have to say.

Chip R
12-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Now let me just start out by saying that I know the Bengals have more pressing needs than another RB.

But as it stands the Bengals have the number 9 pick in the draft. So let me say this: Hypothetically, if McFadden was available at the number 9 spot, would anyone else, like myself, want deep down inside for them to take him, even with the defense in shambles?

Now I realize there's no way he gets past NE at the number 2 pick (what a joke of a punishment). But I thought I'd indulge this selfish thought on my behalf, and see what the rest of you have to say.

I'm no Bengals fan but if by some miracle he's there at #9 you have to take him. I think the Bengals problems at RB are due more to the offensive line but a guy like that you have to take no matter what.

Johnny Footstool
12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
He won't be there at #9.

With any luck, neither will the Bengals. They really, really need a top 5 pick to make a difference.

flyer85
12-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Unless the Bengals can make it to #2 it won't matter.

Handofdeath
12-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Despite the success that they are having with Marion Barber, the Cowboys will wind up trading their two 1st rounders to the Dolphins (who need them) and taking McFadden #1 overall. Jerry Jones will not pass up on a fellow Razorback who was Heisman runner-up the last two seasons.

Chip R
12-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Despite the success that they are having with Marion Barber, the Cowboys will wind up trading their two 1st rounders to the Dolphins (who need them) and taking McFadden #1 overall. Jerry Jones will not pass up on a fellow Razorback who was Heisman runner-up the last two seasons.

Speaking as a Dolphins fan, I think I could get behind this move.

GoReds33
12-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I would never take another first round running back with our luck. Hopefully Perry, Watson, and Irons will take charge. I would like to see Irons pan out.

WMR
12-11-2007, 04:02 PM
As much as I love his game--and I love it ALOT--I would take Dorsey. (if both were available)

If Dorsey was gone, then yeah, I'd prolly take him.

Sea Ray
12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
No way do I want a RB with the #1 pick. As a fan of the SEC I know how good McFadden is but he's not worth a #1 pick on this team.

Joseph
12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm with Wily Mo, I want Glen Dorsey and I dont care who else is available at that spot.

WMR
12-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I've got a buddy who's a huge Eagles fan. Each year we have a bet for a case of beer over whose team will have the better record. This is the first time in several years that both of us want the other guy to win.

joshnky
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
As much as I love his game--and I love it ALOT--I would take Dorsey. (if both were available)

If Dorsey was gone, then yeah, I'd prolly take him.

Dorsey really scares me and I hope he is gone before the Bengals pick. He is an excellent player but has been very injury prone the last two years. Do the Bengals really need another injured defensive player?

WMR
12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Dorsey really scares me and I hope he is gone before the Bengals pick. He is an excellent player but has been very injury prone the last two years. Do the Bengals really need another injured defensive player?

I see what you're saying, but Dorsey is one of those few talents that I say "to hell with it" and roll the dice.

Honestly, if they can't land a high-impact player with their pick, I'd be perfectly alright with them trading their first rounder for more later picks.

Hell, we normally only get on-field production from our latter picks anyway.

Handofdeath
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Most mock drafts have the Bengals taking DT Sedrick Ellis from USC or James Laurinaitis.

flyer85
12-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I think it is a rather safe bet that Dorsey/McFadden will be the top 2.

Sea Ray
12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
What did NE trade in order to secure SF's #1 pick?

CrackerJack
12-11-2007, 04:50 PM
The Bengals' need at least one "good" LB in the worst sort of way, currently they have none. And their 0-line is a mess, and they'll most likely lose Justin Smith at DE (hopefully).

I take the best LB/OT/G or DT/DE on the board, or trade down for an extra 1st round pick.

They can win with Watson/Rudi/Dorsey/Irons, if the o-line is performing up to snuff. Perry is finished much like Odell and Pollack.

WMR
12-11-2007, 04:51 PM
How do you know Perry is finished? Is that official?

Roy Tucker
12-11-2007, 04:52 PM
What did NE trade in order to secure SF's #1 pick?

In the 2007 draft, the Patriots traded the 28th selection in the draft to the 49ers who selected OT Joe Staley. In return, the Patriots got the 49ers fourth round pick in 2007 and San Francisco’s first round pick in 2008.

Whoops.

Screwball
12-11-2007, 05:08 PM
The Bengals' need at least one "good" LB in the worst sort of way, currently they have none. And their 0-line is a mess, and they'll most likely lose Justin Smith at DE (hopefully).

Dhani Jones has played exceptionally well ever since he came over here. If Ahmad Brooks can stay on the field next year, he can be an absolute beast. Couple them with Landon Johnson (who plays solidly week in and week out), and you have 3 guys capable of getting the job done. While they aren't ideal, our 1st rounder shouldn't be used on a LBer.

The much more pressing need on this team is on the D-line. They desperately need a monster DT (a Casey Hampton game changer type), and a pass rushing DE that can consistently get pressure on the QB. Not necessarily 15 sacks a season, but enough penetration so that guys like JP Losman and Damon Huard aren't carving up our secondary.

Games are won and lost in the trenches, and the sooner the Bengals' coaching staff abides by that truism, the sooner our defense will stop being the joke that it is.

Hobo
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Is Jones under contract for next year? I'd say some team will give him a multi-year deal which the Bengals shouldn't. Landon figure's to get paid as well. I like E. Henderson coming back but the Bengals only have a couple linebackers under contract for next year. I'd love to have any USC defender, they play with the speed and energy the Bengals need.

Redhook
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Dhani Jones has played exceptionally well ever since he came over here. If Ahmad Brooks can stay on the field next year, he can be an absolute beast. Couple them with Landon Johnson (who plays solidly week in and week out), and you have 3 guys capable of getting the job done. While they aren't ideal, our 1st rounder shouldn't be used on a LBer.

The much more pressing need on this team is on the D-line. They desperately need a monster DT (a Casey Hampton game changer type), and a pass rushing DE that can consistently get pressure on the QB. Not necessarily 15 sacks a season, but enough penetration so that guys like JP Losman and Damon Huard aren't carving up our secondary.

Games are won and lost in the trenches, and the sooner the Bengals' coaching staff abides by that truism, the sooner our defense will stop being the joke that it is.

Excellent post!

Benihana
12-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Most mock drafts have the Bengals taking DT Sedrick Ellis from USC or James Laurinaitis.

I think it will be either of these two or Chris Long, the DE from Virginia (and Howie's son). I wouldn't be shocked if the Dolphins went QB and the Patriots traded down with the Cowboys, who will then grab McFadden. If that's the case and Dorsey slides to #3, I would love for the Bengals to trade up and grab him. Otherwise, I'd be content with Ellis, Long, or Laurinitis.

Dorsey or Ellis would address the Bengals' biggest need. Chris Long would be the long term replacement for Justin Smith. Laurinitis would be the 4th guy I'd take because ILB is less of a need with Brooks, Jones, and Thurman hopefully all returning.

NorrisHopper30
12-11-2007, 07:52 PM
New England will take McFadden with the 2nd overall pick.

The Bengals will draft Ellis, Gholston, Phillips, Laurenitis/Connor (I hope not), or an O-lineman (Otah/ Clady)

Yachtzee
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I think drafting an RB in the first round is a foolish pick. RBs tend to be overrated. A decent RB can become a great one with a good OL, but even great RBs aren't going to do much with a bad OL.

I personally think the Bengals must focus their energies in this draft on Defensive Front 7 and OL. Screwball mentioned Dhani Jones, but I honestly don't expect him do maintain his level of performance over the next season. I think he's better as special teams captain and spelling other LBs. Ahmad Brooks could be good if he can stay healthy, but that leaves the Bengals in that same position of wishing and hoping that some injured guy is going to live up to his potential. So if they draft LB, I won't be too upset. If Brooks comes back and plays to his potential, they'll have a solid LB corps. If not, they've got a solid LB corps. I'd also like to see DL as the first pick because that's another area of great need.

OL wouldn't be too bad either. Like many folks, I thought the Bengals were smart to let Steinbach go and keep Justin Smith. I figured Whitworth could handle the job and Ghiachec would do fine in place of Braham. Foolish mortal I am. As much as I didn't like Steinbach's occasional lapses that led to Carson Palmer sacks, he is a tremendous pulling guard and was essential in springing Rudi Johnson for more yards than he can get on his own. Even if those two firm up, it's looking like they're going to need help at both tackle positions sooner rather than later.

WMR
12-11-2007, 09:40 PM
To add to your thought, Yacht: How bad does the Willie extension look in light of what we could have had with Steinbach? We kept the wrong player. Personally, I thought they should have traded Justin Smith for whatever they could get for him, possibly a 2nd or 3rd round pick. A high motor doesn't matter if you can't pressure the quarterback. Doh.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I live in Detroit, and trust me, drafting skill positions (position of strength) when your weakness is in the trenches is a bad idea...

blumj
12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
New England will take McFadden with the 2nd overall pick.

That would shock me more than anything the Pats have ever done.

WMR
12-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Why? Who do you have them taking?

WVRed
12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Darren McFadden is the best running back to come out since LaDainian Tomlinson, period.

The Bengals running game is in shambles with a ton of question marks. The offense right now is very explosive, could you imagine if Palmer had McFadden in the backfield?

I think McFadden to NE isnt the lock that people think. The linebackers are getting older and Laurianitis could make an impact there. They could trade down and stockpile more picks and add veteran players.

If I am Cincinnati, I am looking at adding players to make a switch to a 3-4 defense. If Sedrick Ellis is there, take him.

WMR
12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Darren McFadden is the best running back to come out since LaDainian Tomlinson, period.

The Bengals running game is in shambles with a ton of question marks. The offense right now is very explosive, could you imagine if Palmer had McFadden in the backfield?

I think McFadden to NE isnt the lock that people think. The linebackers are getting older and Laurianitis could make an impact there. They could trade down and stockpile more picks and add veteran players.

If I am Cincinnati, I am looking at adding players to make a switch to a 3-4 defense. If Sedrick Ellis is there, take him.

How many seasons have we been calling for the 3-4 now, Wv?

Yachtzee
12-11-2007, 10:39 PM
To add to your thought, Yacht: How bad does the Willie extension look in light of what we could have had with Steinbach? We kept the wrong player. Personally, I thought they should have traded Justin Smith for whatever they could get for him, possibly a 2nd or 3rd round pick. A high motor doesn't matter if you can't pressure the quarterback. Doh.

As much as I appreciate what Willie has done for the Bengals, I don't notice many other NFL teams giving out big extensions as a reward for past contributions. Most teams pay for the performance they expect to get during the life of the contract. I think Willie would have been a cap casualty by now if it were another team.

I thought the franchise tag was either to use to trade Smith or keep him around while we got his replacement ready. Doesn't look like the Bengals did either one of those.

WMR
12-11-2007, 10:43 PM
As much as I appreciate what Willie has done for the Bengals, I don't notice many other NFL teams giving out big extensions as a reward for past contributions. Most teams pay for the performance they expect to get during the life of the contract. I think Willie would have been a cap casualty by now if it were another team.

I thought the franchise tag was either to use to trade Smith or keep him around while we got his replacement ready. Doesn't look like the Bengals did either one of those.

That's why we're the Bengals. :p:

NorrisHopper30
12-11-2007, 10:52 PM

If NE actually had a good running back they would beat everyone by 30.

Believe it or not Morris and Maroney aren't all they are hyped up to be. NE has a great O-line and they will continue to bring in nobodies, build up their value., and trade them out for position players. The Broncos also do this. (portis, bell)

Who else would NE draft?

McFadden is going to be special.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 11:50 PM

Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Calvin Johnson anybody?

Handofdeath
12-11-2007, 11:55 PM
I repeat. The Cowboys will draft McFadden. They were talking about it before this season even started. Google "Darren McFadden" and Dallas Cowboys and you get over 44,000 sites. You really get the sense down here in Texas that's what they are wanting to do and it would explain one of the reasons why they picked up that extra 1st rounder from the Browns in 2008.

blumj
12-12-2007, 12:01 AM
If NE actually had a good running back they would beat everyone by 30.

Believe it or not Morris and Maroney aren't all they are hyped up to be. NE has a great O-line and they will continue to bring in nobodies, build up their value., and trade them out for position players. The Broncos also do this. (portis, bell)

Who else would NE draft?

I can't really picture them drafting anyone that high. Top 5 picks cost too much to sign. And they need to do something about their LBs.

Cedric
12-12-2007, 12:19 AM

Period? That guy named Adrian Peterson is better than McFadden.

camisadelgolf
12-12-2007, 03:51 AM
If he's available at #9, you clearly must trade down to a team that needs him.

WVRed
12-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Period? That guy named Adrian Peterson is better than McFadden.

Peterson isn't the pass catcher that McFadden is. Plus with the Wild Hog formation at Arkansas(doubt it would be used in the NFL for McFadden), he has also thrown for some TD's, he can do it all.

Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Calvin Johnson anybody?

I don't see what the Detroit Lions drafting four wideouts have to do with talking about McFadden's talent.

FIRELEFT
12-12-2007, 11:08 AM
I repeat. The Cowboys will draft McFadden. They were talking about it before this season even started. Google "Darren McFadden" and Dallas Cowboys and you get over 44,000 sites. You really get the sense down here in Texas that's what they are wanting to do and it would explain one of the reasons why they picked up that extra 1st rounder from the Browns in 2008.
No one gets him in 2008, he will stay in Collage:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

No but seriously, I have heard about the Cowboys doing some kind of trade but that was earlier in the season. They have some strong backs that have impressed not sure if they will still go after him. I say he will be pick #2 (Miami go with the monster from LSU)

WVRed
12-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Unless they trade up, no shot of it happening. The Browns doing as decent as they have done has pretty much nixed that happening.

blumj
12-12-2007, 11:49 AM
No one gets him in 2008, he will stay in Collage:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

No but seriously, I have heard about the Cowboys doing some kind of trade but that was earlier in the season. They have some strong backs that have impressed not sure if they will still go after him. I say he will be pick #2 (Miami go with the monster from LSU)
I could easily see the Pats trading the #2 pick to the Cowboys for some combination of one of their current RBs and/or a LB, and/or other picks. I wouldn't be shocked if they have a Parcells-leftover type LB lying around who would be a better Pats fit than he is a Cowboys fit.

FIRELEFT
12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I could easily see the Pats trading the #2 pick to the Cowboys for some combination of one of their current RBs and/or a LB, and/or other picks. I wouldn't be shocked if they have a Parcells-leftover type LB lying around who would be a better Pats fit than he is a Cowboys fit.
Could happen.
I just don't see it. I think they stay were they r and take
DMAC.
However, we all know that, when it comes to the draft.
No one know what is really going to happen.

Chip R
12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
However, we all know that, when it comes to the draft.
No one know what is really going to happen.

Why do you hate Mel Kiper, Jr.? ;)

FIRELEFT
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
It's is hair.:thumbup:

*BaseClogger*
12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't see what the Detroit Lions drafting four wideouts have to do with talking about McFadden's talent.

My point was that taking the best skill players when we already have plenty won't solve our problems...

Benihana
12-12-2007, 03:36 PM
My point was that taking the best skill players when we already have plenty won't solve our problems...

It's like the Jim Bowden method to managing personnel. The Bengals need defense like the Reds needed pitching, not more outfielders.

No way do the Bengals draft an offensive player in my opinion. Dorsey, Ellis, Long, Laurinitis should be the Bengals draft/wish list- in that order.

*BaseClogger*
12-12-2007, 04:35 PM
It's like the Jim Bowden method to managing personnel. The Bengals need defense like the Reds needed pitching, not more outfielders.

No way do the Bengals draft an offensive player in my opinion. Dorsey, Ellis, Long, Laurinitis should be the Bengals draft/wish list- in that order.

amen

NorrisHopper30
12-12-2007, 06:41 PM
You guys can keep thinking Peterson is better than McFadden, but about a year from now you'll agree with me :)

Peterson can't stay healthy, either.

Peterson is a great RB and runs strong, don't get me wrong, but McFadden is better.

redsfanmia
12-12-2007, 07:15 PM

Because if he was as smart as he is suppossed to be he would be Scott Paoli or Bill Polian.

Handofdeath
12-12-2007, 08:15 PM
You guys can keep thinking Peterson is better than McFadden, but about a year from now you'll agree with me :)

Peterson can't stay healthy, either.

Peterson is a great RB and runs strong, don't get me wrong, but McFadden is better.

Peterson has had a hard time staying healthy and McFadden is a hell of a back but when Peterson is healthy McFadden is not in his league. Peterson was a National High School Player of the Year. Even with the injuries in college and only playing 3 seasons Peterson was 74 yards short of being OU's All-Time Leading Rusher. Oklahoma has had plenty of fantastic RB's over the years including one fans from Ohio should be familiar-Greg Pruitt. For Peterson to rush for more yards than anyone except 1978 Heisman winner Billy Sims is saying something. Now he's in the NFL. What has he done? He rushed for more yards in his 1st 8 games than any rookie in NFL history. Peterson is the only rookie who has ever had 2 games of over 200 yards rushing in a season. They are comparing this guy to Jim Brown. McFadden could wind up being Ron Dayne for all we know. The NFL is a big leap from college. Anyone remember the name Archie Griffin?

FIRELEFT
12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Peterson has had a hard time staying healthy and McFadden is a hell of a back but when Peterson is healthy McFadden is not in his league. Peterson was a National High School Player of the Year. Even with the injuries in college and only playing 3 seasons Peterson was 74 yards short of being OU's All-Time Leading Rusher. Oklahoma has had plenty of fantastic RB's over the years including one fans from Ohio should be familiar-Greg Pruitt. For Peterson to rush for more yards than anyone except 1978 Heisman winner Billy Sims is saying something. Now he's in the NFL. What has he done? He rushed for more yards in his 1st 8 games than any rookie in NFL history. Peterson is the only rookie who has ever had 2 games of over 200 yards rushing in a season. They are comparing this guy to Jim Brown. McFadden could wind up being Ron Dayne for all we know. The NFL is a big leap from college. Anyone remember the name Archie Griffin?

I will not say that DMAC will be better that Peterson. However, I think that they both will be great backs in the NFL. They r very much a like.

Handofdeath
12-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I will not say that DMAC will be better that Peterson. However, I think that they both will be great backs in the NFL. They r very much a like.

Agreed and McFadden will look mighty fine in a Cowboys uniform.

Chip R
12-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Because if he was as smart as he is suppossed to be he would be Scott Paoli or Bill Polian.

He probably makes more money than those two.

redsfanmia
12-13-2007, 04:17 PM
He probably makes more money than those two.

Maybe but wouldnt his ego make him atleast try to run a team?