PDA

View Full Version : Tejada to Astros

Daniels_Parker
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM
ESPN reports Miguel Tejada traded to Astros for 5 players, OF Luke Scott, P's Matt Albers, Troy Patton, and Dennis Sarfate, and 3B Michael Costanzo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3151849

rotnoid
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
That's an awful lot in return for what Tejada has become. Maybe playing at Minute Maid will help a little, but still. Makes me wonder what a top line starter is really going to cost.

jmble
12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow. I just can't believe the Astros agreed to this trade the day before the Mitchell Report is released.

mroby85
12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Wow. I just can't believe the Astros agreed to this trade the day before the Mitchell Report is released.

good point, tejada has been a guy kind of tied into the whole debate. is that mitchell report going to result in suspensions?

jmble
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think anyone knows for sure what is going to result from this report, but to this point people (Jose Guillen) have been suspended just for being associated in the investigations, so I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see suspensions come from this.

Stephenk29
12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Did the Astros really give up a whole lot here? I saw two of the prospects were only their 3rd and 6th best. Luke Scott is nothing all that special. Seem somewhat right on par really. This seems like the Reds giving up Votto, Maloney, Freel and some scraps.

GoReds33
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Did the Astros really give up a whole lot here? I saw two of the prospects were only their 3rd and 6th best. Luke Scott is nothing all that special. Seem somewhat right on par really. This seems like the Reds giving up Votto, Maloney, Freel and some scraps.I don't even think they gave up a Votto. They did give up a good player or two. I really like Luke Scott. He is stronger than any hitter I have seen in a long time.

*BaseClogger*
12-12-2007, 04:01 PM
The Astros gave up WAY too much! I'm very pleased to see them make this mistake...

Tejada 2007 OPS+: 109
Luke Scott 2007 OPS+: 119

Tejada career OPS+: 114
Scott career OPS+: 125

So, the Orioles get a young cheap, and improving hitter for an expensive, declining, and possibly linked to steroids shortstop (that doesn't play that great of defense anymore either)... Oh yeah, and the Orioles get four other prospects...

Nice trade for the O's...

Bip Roberts
12-12-2007, 05:25 PM

agreed

Vada Pinson Fan
12-12-2007, 06:27 PM
As a fan of the Reds and not the Astros- I like it!
Tejada may very well show up on the Mitchell report. We shall see tomorrow!

Why Not?
12-12-2007, 09:23 PM
The Astros gave up WAY too much! I'm very pleased to see them make this mistake...

Tejada 2007 OPS+: 109
Luke Scott 2007 OPS+: 119

Tejada career OPS+: 114
Scott career OPS+: 125

So, the Orioles get a young cheap, and improving hitter for an expensive, declining, and possibly linked to steroids shortstop (that doesn't play that great of defense anymore either)... Oh yeah, and the Orioles get four other prospects...

Nice trade for the O's...

Tejada is only two years older than Scott.

Handofdeath
12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
A supremely stupid move by the Astros. His numbers are going down and everybody knows why. He will probably be named in the Mitchell report and the Astros give 5 freaking players for this guy? Rest assured Reds fans your team will not be last in 2008.

*BaseClogger*
12-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Tejada is only two years older than Scott.

got me there but Scott is cost controlled for many more years

Stephenk29
12-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Do you think he's declined because he got off the roids or because he refused to take a day off for the past 6 years? He also plays winter ball ever year. I think he's simply wearing down.

*BaseClogger*
12-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Do you think he's declined because he got off the roids or because he refused to take a day off for the past 6 years? He also plays winter ball ever year. I think he's simply wearing down.

combo... mostly natural aging w/lost of playing time

Why Not?
12-12-2007, 11:54 PM
One could argue that Tejada's decline was really just an off year.

OPS+ since 2002: 128, 111, 131, 128, 126, 109

There WAS a drop in power last year. Maybe it's a steroid thing, who knows? I watched Tejada play every day last season and it was clear that Tejada at times was making a conscious effort to dump singles into RF. At some point he made comments about being pitched differently, getting nothing on the inside part of the plate. He didn't have much lineup protection, so there might be something to it.

Regardless, I think he'll be outstanding for Houston next year.

Why Not?
12-12-2007, 11:57 PM
got me there but Scott is cost controlled for many more years

Gotcha, didn't mean to call you out or anything.

Scott will become our LF, perhaps a platoon with Jay Payton if we can't deal him. I like Scott but he's never going to be an All-Star. None of the other guys are top-shelf prospects, but should help fill some holes for us.

Handofdeath
12-13-2007, 12:51 AM

It could very well be what you say. I do know that a LOT of players had off years and were getting injured in 2007. I also know he's a former teammate of both Rafael Palmeiro and Jason Giambi.

Red in Atl
12-14-2007, 12:48 AM
Ha Haw...

- voice of the bully, on the simpsons

Hondo
12-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I think they are wasting a lot on Carlos Lee and Tejada...

Thanks

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Anyone else notice that we play the Astros on April 24th and don't see them again until after the all-star break July 28th. Thats quite a split, both teams could be quite different by then. Seems odd to me that two teams in the central would play so little in the first half of the year. The first series in April is only a two game set.

*BaseClogger*
12-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Anyone else notice that we play the Astros on April 24th and don't see them again until after the all-star break July 28th. Thats quite a split, both teams could be quite different by then. Seems odd to me that two teams in the central would play so little in the first half of the year. The first series in April is only a two game set.

by then most of that veteran squad should be broken down :beerme: