PDA

View Full Version : Prior now a free agent

BearcatShane
12-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Is it safe to assume he'll be a Red or Padre?

AmarilloRed
12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Cubs cut Prior loose

December 12, 2007
BY GORDON WITTENMYER gwittenmyer@suntimes.com

The long, winding and mostly frustrating road of Mark Prior's career as a Cub has officially come to an end with the Cubs' decision tonight to non-tender the former 18-game winner, sources said.

Prior, who is rehabbing from shoulder surgery eight months ago, was eligible for arbitration - a process that would have meant a projected salary of about $3.4 million for a pitcher whose health for the season was at least in doubt.

Negotiations on a possible contract that would have called for a lower salary stalled weeks ago over the Cubs' offer and their demand for a club option for 2009 - which would have bought out Prior's first year of free agency.

Facing an 11 p.m. deadline for offering arbitration, and failing in an attempt to trade him for a prospect, the Cubs instead cut loose the former No. 2 overall draft pick, making Prior a free agent.

As to whether the Padres are interested in him:

After gathering medical information on Cubs pitcher Mark Prior, who is coming off shoulder surgery, the Padres have cooled somewhat on the former USDHS star, who would become a free agent today if the Cubs do not tender him a contract.

I expect whatever the Padres saw in the medical report was enough for them to decide not to pursue Mark Prior.

kaldaniels
12-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I just wonder as well...I loathe the Cubs but they aren't idiots either. Gotta be something seriously wrong with him if they are just going to cut him loose. Sure go ahead and sign him if you want...but don't be shocked when he doesn't pan out. I swear I'm not trying to be negative...just pointing out the fact that the Cubs are letting him walk out the door.

Bip Roberts
12-12-2007, 10:27 PM
If we want to have dead weight on the roster we sign him

OldRed1966
12-12-2007, 11:17 PM
If we want to have dead weight on the roster we sign him

I would rather the Reds waste a few million dollars on him rather than Brett Tomko.

jmble
12-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Why wouldn't Prior want to come to a team managed by a guy that most of the world thinks ruined his career.

I just don't see it happening.

Bip Roberts
12-12-2007, 11:27 PM
I would rather the Reds waste a few million dollars on him rather than Brett Tomko.

both are pretty much worthless

schmidty622
12-13-2007, 12:03 AM
That’s what they said about Chris Carpenter after the 2002 season too, and he gave the Cards 3 excellent seasons after they signed him.

Handofdeath
12-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Why wouldn't Prior want to come to a team managed by a guy that most of the world thinks ruined his career.

I just don't see it happening.

Because maybe he knows that is crap. Say that Prior is healthy but not quite what he used to be, perhaps 85%. Would you be happy with 180-200 IP and 180 K's with maybe an ERA around 4? Sounds like a very solid mid-rotation starter to me. Question is, how healthy is he and does his name show up in the Mitchell Report?

ChatterRed
12-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Why can't we sign him to a minor league deal with incentives based on innings pitched, games won, etc.?

If he's not healthy, it doesn't hurt you. If he comes around and can contribute.......he helps the team and he can make money based on reaching the incentives? A win-win situation.

mlbfan30
12-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Rangers non-tendered RHP Akinori Otsuka
Career ERA - 2.44
ERA past 2 seasons - 2.11 / 2.51
He's injured, but he would be under control until 2009....
We should get him and hope he stays healthy

Bigredfan#1
12-13-2007, 12:45 AM
I just wonder as well...I loathe the Cubs but they aren't idiots either. Gotta be something seriously wrong with him if they are just going to cut him loose. Sure go ahead and sign him if you want...but don't be shocked when he doesn't pan out. I swear I'm not trying to be negative...just pointing out the fact that the Cubs are letting him walk out the door.

Read where the Padres backed off when they read his medical report. I still think he would be worth trying though, he may never be back to what he was but he would be worth the gamble and if was to return to form the WOW!!

mlbfan30
12-13-2007, 12:50 AM
I value great injured players more than average reliable players, so guys like Gagne/Prior/Otsuka/Wood/etc are pitchers I think would be good fits since it's a high reward type situation. We just stash them on the DL when hurt, but have an immediate upgrade when healthy.

kaldaniels
12-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Would it be wrong for me to suggest that we wait until after 2 pm Thursday to form any solid opinions on picking up Prior.....wink wink.

crazybob60
12-13-2007, 01:33 AM
With the names of Wells, and Tomko, and others of the such being tossed around, I think Prior is well worth the chance....even with the injury risk. I say make it worth his while with a 1 year deal and the possibility of signing him longer if he performs well....heck who knows. I wonder just what Dusty's opinion on this is.

I really loved the reference earlier about how Chris Carpenter was 'washed-up' when the Cards decided to give him another shot.

A fun fact about that is, Carpenter had just sat out an entire season and was 29, when the Cards gave him that second shot and although injuries have resurfaced last year, he did lead them to a WS championship.

Now back to Prior...you may forget but he is only 27, actually just turned 27 in September so he will be 27 the entire, or most if the entire season. And similar to Carpenter he didn't pitch any of last season...the comparisons are just too similar....this is one move that i hope we just take a risk, and yes it will be a BIG risk on. Similar to that of Josh Hamilton!

AmarilloRed
12-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Fay notes Dusty Baker told folks at the Meetings that he'd like to have Mark Prior. Whether Prior would like to be under his watch again is the question. As a 22 year-old in 2003, Prior ranked third in baseball in Pitcher Abuse Points per start.

This makes a good point. Prior may very well consider Dusty Baker somewhat to blame for what happened to his arm. I imagine it might be very difficult to persuade Prior to go to a team where baker is the manager.

Bip Roberts
12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Prior is now also a busted roider :laugh:

Handofdeath
12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Prior is now also a busted roider :laugh:

And Wood and Sosa. I tell you, I'm just shocked by those 3 names. Who knew?;)

AdamDunn
12-13-2007, 03:42 PM
And Wood and Sosa. I tell you, I'm just shocked by those 3 names. Who knew?;)

Fake list.

Handofdeath
12-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Fake list.

Very true. But Sosa is a known cheat and there are enough whispers about Prior and Wood and enough joint injuries between the two that I think it is just a matter of not being caught yet. Baker didn't use those two any differently than pitchers were used in the past. If it walks like a duck...

The Cowboy
12-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Most steroid abusers dont het hurt, hand..

I(heart)Freel
12-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Incentive contracts seem like no brainers to me.

If you can be guaranteed that Prior will return to greatness, wouldn't you pay him that going rate and be happy with it (since it meant he helped the team win)?

So overwhelm him with incentives, making sure we have the best offer.

The problem is, this doesnt really solve the Reds problem, because if he's not healthy enough to start the season, we still need a warm body to throw every five days.

Prior would be a good pickup, but can not be the only.

Handofdeath
12-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Most steroid abusers dont het hurt, hand..

Totally false. Research shows that steroid users are injury-prone and especially prone to joint injuries. McGwire retired because of constant leg injuries. Look at Bonds and his constant leg injuries over the last few seasons. Look at Jeff Bagwell, Kevin Brown, Eric Gagne, Derrick Turnbow...

AdamDunn
12-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Totally false. Research shows that steroid users are injury-prone and especially prone to joint injuries. McGwire retired because of constant leg injuries. Look at Bonds and his constant leg injuries over the last few seasons. Look at Kevin Brown, Eric Gagne, Derrick Turnbow...

not enough to say we've very confident that he did steroids

Blue
12-15-2007, 05:40 PM
They very well may have used, but in Prior's case, I think his some of his injuries were freak injuries, like the collision with Giles and the line drive to the elbow joint.

kentjett
12-15-2007, 08:15 PM
He is worth a flier

captainmorgan07
12-15-2007, 08:42 PM
i'd pick him up in a heartbeat.give him an incentive ladden contract. If i don't work out it don't work out. You may be able to move him to the pen. Even if he has to sit out all this year and come back next year healthy he'd be better than half the people in our rotation right now.

Hondo
12-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Mark Prior a RED? Make it happen. If Jim Bowden doesn't invite him to Spring Training...

That Bowden line was an attempt at Humor.

Thanks

Redsfan08
12-16-2007, 08:26 PM
lets get him

Bigredfan#1
12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-071222philrogerswhispers,1,5188139.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

Link says that Rangers backed off after looking at medical records and the Padres had done so back when they were talking trade with the Cubs. Houston or Cincy was where the writer thought he might end up.

Degenerate39
12-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I'd give him an incentive based deal and that's it. Maybe give him an option for 09

captainmorgan07
12-24-2007, 02:33 PM
i agree with degenerate incentive based contract would be the way to go for Prior. Dusty was not the one that ruined priors career, priors poor mechanics ruined his career. His legs injuries than hastened the strain on his arm. That's what did him in.

mlbfan30
12-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Prior is asking for only 1 year with all guaranteed. He's not going to accept a 2 year deal or an option in the deal.

Hondo
12-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Dusty had him with his 18 win season. I think it's a Fit!

Thanks

Bigredfan#1
12-24-2007, 03:37 PM
i agree with degenerate incentive based contract would be the way to go for Prior. Dusty was not the one that ruined priors career, priors poor mechanics ruined his career. His legs injuries than hastened the strain on his arm. That's what did him in.

I don't know if Dusty did it or not but Prior was supposed to have a picture perfect motion and flawless mechanics. If Prior thought Dusty did it he would not even consider coming to the Reds, nor would he keep in contact with Dusty!

Dracodave
12-24-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't know if Dusty did it or not but Prior was supposed to have a picture perfect motion and flawless mechanics. If Prior thought Dusty did it he would not even consider coming to the Reds, nor would he keep in contact with Dusty!

Interesting read about Prior's mechanics, and if you really look at Harrang's motion and the fact that he doesn't form a M with his shoulders than you can see the difference..

Link (http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics.html)

kaldaniels
12-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Any predictions on the dollars he will get for a 1 year deal??? I can see 4-5 Million.

*BaseClogger*
12-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Any predictions on the dollars he will get for a 1 year deal??? I can see 4-5 Million.

me too

mlbfan30
12-24-2007, 06:50 PM
He's going to get around 8 mil

Hondo
12-24-2007, 07:05 PM
There is nobody gonna give Prior 8 Million Guaranteed...

Not even Steinbrenner...

Thanks