PDA

View Full Version : Mike Santon

gobucks106
12-14-2007, 10:44 AM
In light of the news following the Mithcell Report should the Reds cut ties with Mike Stanton? I'm sure the steroids probably go back to his New York days but if he's been using them lately they've not help. I say cut his fat ass!!! Let the young guys pitch!

mlbfan30
12-14-2007, 10:54 AM
He should be cut since he sucks. But if they cut him right now, the MLBPA would prob make it a big deal, and make it a roids issue when it really shouldn't be.

goreds2
12-14-2007, 11:12 AM
I say cut his fat ass!!! Let the young guys pitch!

AGREED

captainmorgan07
12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
he should be cut cause he's not very good anymore steroids are not.

HokieRed
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
He won't be cut because that will make Krivsky's failure, his ridiculous overpayment, too obvious.

Hey Meat
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Cut him.

AmarilloRed
12-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I believe the only way to get rid of him is through a trade. If we cut him, and another team signs him and gives him 80+ appearances, the Reds will be required to pay for the vesting option in 2009. If he is traded, the contract becomes another team's problem.

Bip Roberts
12-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Sue him for false advertisement

putrnrd
12-14-2007, 12:32 PM
you can't start making this a witch hunt or the mccarthy hearings. at the time most of these players did this, mlb had no rules limiting the activity and/or turned a blind eye towards it. like mitchell said in the report, ownership and the commish should not drudge up the past but look forward and do a better job policing the drug activities.

this report should stop much of the use of the chemicals, let those who keep using get busted and forget about the sins of the past of those who stop. they will either be able to be competitive without the help or they will be dropped because of performance reasons.

that being said, i wonder why, if mitchell did not want selig to punish those on this list, did he then publish the names of players suspected of using?

Z-Fly
12-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I believe the only way to get rid of him is through a trade. If we cut him, and another team signs him and gives him 80+ appearances, the Reds will be required to pay for the vesting option in 2009. If he is traded, the contract becomes another team's problem.

I am pretty sure that isn't how that works. Is there anyway to check?

Orenda
12-14-2007, 01:42 PM
remember last year when people would say he was a good veteran presence to have around for the younger relievers?

roby
12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I would think that his contract could be voided if he is still using...or was using after steroids became illegal in baseball. Is there no escape clause from his contract?

mlbfan30
12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I remember most people saying he would suck, and he did. Also chemicals are used all the time by every player, so I don't know what your trying to say.

Orenda
12-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I remember him getting a lot of blind support around here ifrom people after saying all along he sucked. And one justification for some was that they said he was a good guy to have around, to teach the younger guys like McBeth, Coutlangus, Bray's etc. Turns out not so much.

mroby85
12-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Mike Stanton *

12-14-2007, 02:17 PM
He might retire after being named in the Mitchell report. If he is active, then Selig can punish him, which would be a long ordeal for Stanton, that would require him testifying in front of a arbitrator, which could lead to criminal prosecution. If he retires, none of that happens.
I think not having to deal with that could outweigh the money he would make by staying active one more year.

bounty37h
12-14-2007, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=putrnrd;1517395]you can't start making this a witch hunt or the mccarthy hearings. at the time most of these players did this, mlb had no rules limiting the activity and/or turned a blind eye towards it. like mitchell said in the report, ownership and the commish should not drudge up the past but look forward and do a better job policing the drug activities.

I fully understand your point, but also need to add in, I dont think MLB had a rule at that time about not killing people, and it wasnt needed, as it was ILLEGAL throughout the country, not just baseball.

putrnrd
12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
is hgh illegal?

speeding is against the law too, wonder how many players do this.....

roby
12-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I remember most people saying he would suck, and he did. Also chemicals are used all the time by every player, so I don't know what your trying to say.

I'm saying that if there is a way to get rid of Mike Stanton and his crappy pitching without having to pay him...DO IT, please! Is that clearer?

tripleaaaron
12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
you can't start making this a witch hunt or the mccarthy hearings. at the time most of these players did this, mlb had no rules limiting the activity and/or turned a blind eye towards it. like mitchell said in the report, ownership and the commish should not drudge up the past but look forward and do a better job policing the drug activities.

this report should stop much of the use of the chemicals, let those who keep using get busted and forget about the sins of the past of those who stop. they will either be able to be competitive without the help or they will be dropped because of performance reasons.

that being said, i wonder why, if mitchell did not want selig to punish those on this list, did he then publish the names of players suspected of using?

Looking back I guess there should have been clear rules on this issue, but should that have really been necessary. I don't buy this argument because they were federally outlawed. Should there be rules stating that a player can't use heroine or cocaine, etc? No, because they are against the law, just like steroids.

tripleaaaron
12-14-2007, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=putrnrd;1517395]you can't start making this a witch hunt or the mccarthy hearings. at the time most of these players did this, mlb had no rules limiting the activity and/or turned a blind eye towards it. like mitchell said in the report, ownership and the commish should not drudge up the past but look forward and do a better job policing the drug activities.

I fully understand your point, but also need to add in, I dont think MLB had a rule at that time about not killing people, and it wasnt needed, as it was ILLEGAL throughout the country, not just baseball.
Oops, should read ahead a little more often, didn't see this post.

tripleaaaron
12-14-2007, 04:46 PM
is hgh illegal?

When used as a performance enhancer, yes.
And speeding isn't a felony.

putrnrd
12-14-2007, 05:57 PM
i don't thinking using these drugs are felonies either. no matter though, someone compared it to murder which is certainly more ridiculous than comparing it to speeding.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-14-2007, 06:46 PM
We can only hope that Selig nails the cheaters still playing!!!

Bip Roberts
12-14-2007, 07:11 PM
is hgh illegal?

no wonder you dont post much

Old NDN
12-15-2007, 09:36 AM
He won't be cut because that will make Krivsky's failure, his ridiculous overpayment, too obvious.

Probably true, but keeping him and allowing him to suck almost every appearance would be a constant reminder of overpayment and steroids. Cut him now, for whatever reason.