PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds to the Padres

larks
12-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Per Rotoworld

The Padres have acquired Jim Edmonds from the Cardinals for David Freese, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Looks like we will only be exposed to the George Grande-Jimmy Edmonds love fest, at least directly, two series a year now!

larks
12-14-2007, 11:58 PM
More from Rotoworld:

Edmonds made it clear earlier this offseason that San Diego was a preferred destination for him if he was going to waive his no-trade clause. It's a very good gamble for the Padres, especially since the Cardinals are going to be kicking in at least $1 million to help cover his $8 million salary. They should still have the funds to sign Geoff Jenkins if he decides he wants to play in San Diego. In Freese, the Cardinals get a pretty good third base prospect, though he won't be ready to step in next year if Scott Rolen is dealt. He was expendable because the Padres had both Kevin Kouzmanoff and Chase Headley ahead of him.

Bip Roberts
12-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Lots of black players on that San Diego team

fadetoblack2880
12-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Thank God. I get sick of him twenty times a year. Well, less than that. He's on the DL or day-to-day mostly nowadays.

mlbfan30
12-15-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm starting to really like the Cards lineup

fadetoblack2880
12-15-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm starting to really like the Cards lineup

Me too. No Eckstein or Edmonds. Anyone else decide to leave?

BucksandReds
12-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Teams in the Central are getting worse. Strike while the iron is hot.

Orenda
12-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Per Rotoworld

Looks like we will only be exposed to the George Grande-Jimmy Edmonds love fest, at least directly, two series a year now!

George Grande is still under contract? Usually I don't condone violence, but if this was a previous point in time....say Roman Collisuem days, I might be tempted to see George Grande battle Juan Castro. My money would be on Castro.

reds77
12-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Haha, my first thoughts were also that of Grande crying himself to sleep over this news.

captainmorgan07
12-15-2007, 10:56 AM
good ridance to jimmy. I was sick of him always robbing us of basehits and homeruns. It's not the pads are getting a real prize here. He is a shell of his former self. Injury proned and doesn't quite have the power he used to have.

GoReds33
12-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Haha, my first thoughts were also that of Grande crying himself to sleep over this news.This coupled with Biggio retiring? This is turning out to be a very sad offseason for Grande.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-15-2007, 12:43 PM
For the past few seasons I've viewed Edmonds, Pujols and Rolen as the "Face/Main Identity" of the Cardinals. Matt Morris was the same before he went to the Giants. Jim Edmonds was always a big pain for the Reds. I'm glad (even though JE is 37 years old) he is out of our division. Now if the Cards follow through and trade Rolen; I'll be even happier about the Cardinals lineup!

Cardinal_Fan
12-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Obviously I'm a Cardinals fan so you all might think I'm biased. Nevertheless, this trade makes St Louis better. Edmond's offensive production these last few years was a joke and can be easily replaced. Furthermore, we don't have to pay him 7 million of the 8 million he is owed next year. Clearly this move was a salary dump...but it's one that took a bad player out of our line up. And did I remind you guys of the fact that he's always injured?

With Rolen you have a guy who at least has a chance (because of his age) to improve (even if it's not a good chance). Edmonds was done and I'm glad that we got rid of him.

*BaseClogger*
12-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Obviously I'm a Cardinals fan so you all might think I'm biased. Nevertheless, this trade makes St Louis better. Edmond's offensive production these last few years was a joke and can be easily replaced. Furthermore, we don't have to pay him 7 million of the 8 million he is owed next year. Clearly this move was a salary dump...but it's one that took a bad player out of our line up. And did I remind you guys of the fact that he's always injured?

With Rolen you have a guy who at least has a chance (because of his age) to improve (even if it's not a good chance). Edmonds was done and I'm glad that we got rid of him.

I think the Cardinals are picking up $2 million...

Cardinal_Fan
12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I think the Cardinals are picking up $2 million...

Either way it's still less than 8.

Stephenk29
12-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Living near St. Louis the general consensus over here is that no one really cares. Edmonds hasn't had much of a following the last few years. Maybe they finally realized half the dives are not needed.

Carolina Red
12-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Pujols may also be facing a suspension because he is one of the players mentioned in the Mitchell Report. Looks like the Cards will be hurting next year. Now if only the Cubs could head in the same direction.........

Bip Roberts
12-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Pujols may also be facing a suspension because he is one of the players mentioned in the Mitchell Report. Looks like the Cards will be hurting next year. Now if only the Cubs could head in the same direction.........

:explode:

Cardinal_Fan
12-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Is this a joke?

gedred69
12-16-2007, 11:48 PM

I won't hold being a Cards fan against you, you guys are okay to be around. Un-like of course, Cubs fans.:D I agree with your observation of Edmonds, simply put he is past his prime. In his day though, he had "a flair for the dramatic".

Bip Roberts
12-16-2007, 11:51 PM
He had a flair for being slow and having to dive for every catch

Stephenk29
12-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Pujols was not in the Mitchell Report

gedred69
12-17-2007, 09:58 PM
He had a flair for being slow and having to dive for every catch

And timing his jump perfectly to bring back HRs....

thatcoolguy_22
12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Pujols was not in the Mitchell Report

he was mentioned in the leaked fake report put out an hour early by NBC.com. The cards were extremely upset (and with good reason) for his name getting tarnished