PDA

View Full Version : Rose on Mitchell Report

Stephenk29
12-19-2007, 02:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3160548

Sometimes Rose just doesn't know when to shut up.....

"I never knew someone would make me look like an altar boy."

"These guys are a mockery to the game."

I'm pretty sure Pete broke the cardinal sin of baseball by betting on it. Gotta love Pete the player, but my gosh.:thumbdown

durl
12-19-2007, 09:45 AM
This is gonna open this can of worms all over again. :)

Betting on the game evolved into the cardinal sin of baseball. The Black Sox scandal involved players throwing games for organized crime. Pete never did that.

Pete messed up big time. Still, juicers can directly effect each and every game in which they play. They have an unfair advantage over their opponents and they can cost clean players roster spots. They cheat. To me, betting on your team isn't cheating. It's a dumb thing to do, but it's not cheating.

Personally, I find it to be much worse to give yourself an illegal physical boost than to bet on your team to win. But baseball held up it's glorious "cardinal" rule all the while ignoring the elephant in the room. It's allowed strikes that almost ruined the game, but MLB made sure no one placed a bet on the game. They've ignored players ballooning up to the size of small moons from steroid use, but as long as they didn't call a bookie, it's ok by the commish.

Now let the fun begin! ;)

Hey Meat
12-19-2007, 10:03 AM
If Clemens and McGwire get in then so should Pete. My only question is wasn't Pete Rose Junior finally banished from the minors for using performance enhancing drugs?

Orenda
12-19-2007, 10:04 AM

UPRedsFan
12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't think he would have. Just a gut feel. Given his work ethic, competetiveness, hustling approach to the game it just strikes me that he wouldn't lower himself to take the easy way and cheat.

Of course my opinion could be colored by the fact that he was my childhood hero.

If Pete only bet on the Reds to win, there is no sound argument for keeping him out of the Hall and admitting Bonds, et al. The 20 year suspension he's had should be punishment enough if there's no evidence that he ever through a game or bet against his team.

Orenda
12-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I asked that before I read the article. I took his response to the question, what he would have done had steroids been more prevalent when he played, "I would have had 5000 hits" to mean he would have.

terminator
12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
To me, betting on your team isn't cheating. It's a dumb thing to do, but it's not cheating.

The problem with betting on your team is how it affects the way you use players. Does it make you play your stars in the meaningless game on which you bet and them rest them against the playoff team? Do you bring in your closer after pitching for three straight days instead of resting him so he's available for the next series? Do you need to point shave -- i.e. do you need to score two runs to cover the spread so he brings in a poor hitter with power instead of a good hitter with no power? Whether it does or not, it subjects the legitimacy of the game to the same scrutiny.

I still think betting on your own team is much less egregious than betting against your team, but I have been convinced by others that it's almost as bad and worthy of the baseball death penalty.

And yet I'm still a fan of Pete.

Boston Red
12-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Pete would be a lot more likeable if he had lost the ability to speak in about 1988.

GoReds33
12-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Pete would be a lot more likeable if he had lost the ability to speak in about 1988.Agreed. Pete has no mind as to when to shut up. He would probably be a Hall of Famer if that had happened as well.:)

Jim
12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
With comments like Rose made in this interview, he might as well accept that no commissioner will give him a break. He's a moron and should keep his mouth shut.

durl
12-19-2007, 03:24 PM
With comments like Rose made in this interview, he might as well accept that no commissioner will give him a break. He's a moron and should keep his mouth shut.

Whether or not one's a moron should not be a factor when determining if one is allowed to be a part of baseball, don't you think?

kbrake
12-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I cant wait for Pete Rose to go away. He still doesnt get it. He might as well be a 9 year old. He still cant accept what he did was truly wrong. Yet, he has time to point to the teacher what the other kids are doing is wrong. Pete thought he was above the game and still thinks what he did was not a big deal. It amazes me how much support he still gets from Reds fans even after he lied to every single one of us for 15 years.

Caveman Techie
12-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry but I don't believe a word Pete says.

His story went from:

"I did not bet on baseball" =====> "Ok, I bet on baseball, but I only bet on games I wasn't involved in" =======> "Ok, I bet on games I was involved in, but only for the Reds to win"

He was a great player that I loved watching play. However he has ruined any credibility he used to have.

*BaseClogger*
12-19-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry but I don't believe a word Pete says.

His story went from:

"I did not bet on baseball" =====> "Ok, I bet on baseball, but I only bet on games I wasn't involved in" =======> "Ok, I bet on games I was involved in, but only for the Reds to win"

He was a great player that I loved watching play. However he has ruined any credibility he used to have.

Yeah and he made money off that lie (book)...

will5979
12-20-2007, 08:27 AM
ah, Pete is still the man ! He does no wrong in my book! He has freedom of speech and I understand his frustration with this situation. I would mad too if these roid ragers are going to get away with this with just a slap on the wrist while MLB will continue to no allow Rose into the HOF.

flash
12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Wasn't Pete once real good pals with the guy who turned him in, Paul Janszen? Didn't Janszen do time from illegal income derived from distributing steroids? Who were Janszen's clients?

Pete's son was also involved with steroid usage? It is said the apple never falls far from the tree.

What I can't understand is why Mitchell didn't talk to Rose about Janszen or the team he managed.

Mr.MojoRisin
12-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I have to say, I think it's stupid that they'll let these guys like Bonds and the other "juicers" into the hall of fame but still ban Pete just because he liked to gamble. Yeah, it was stupid, but it wasn't cheating. That said, he does have a habit of saying the wrong things at the wrong time.