PDA

View Full Version : First base if Votto gets traded

dunner13
12-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Obviously we still have hatte but he is getting older and he only provides so much offensively. But the nationals might be willing to move nick johnson considering they have dimitri young and did just sign him to a longer deal last year. I have always liked johnson, if he could stay healthy he could be very good. And at GABP his power numbers would improve.

_Sir_Charles_
12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
You know, I've never got a suitable answer to this idea. Is there any chance that Dunn would be willing to switch to 1B? This would free up the room in the OF and allow us to move Votto. We already know Dunn's defense in LF is attrocious. His running is so clumsy and .... bulky? I can see him being an average first baseman. Any thoughts?

Bip Roberts
12-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Dunn really needs to learn how to play 1st. Hes going to end up there at some point in his career anyways

_Sir_Charles_
12-20-2007, 02:12 PM
That's what I think too.

Someone on the espn boards said that Dunn actually played some 1B earlier in his carreer. I certainly don't recall that though. Is that true? *heads off to see if he can find out*

~edited~

hmmm....106 ab's as a first baseman in the last 3 years. How in the world did I not know that? *stunned* Well, h&ll...let's get him some time there in ST, asap!!!

Bip Roberts
12-20-2007, 02:26 PM
yea he tried 1st base before and he was terrible and didnt act like he wanted to improve at it so they just gave up.

_Sir_Charles_
12-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Then give him a freakin' ultimatum. Switch...or waive your no-trade clause. Because I'm certain we could get a Starting Pitcher deal done with Dunn in the equation.

Bip Roberts
12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Yea this isnt MVP baseball 2008

Jim
12-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Then give him a freakin' ultimatum. Switch...or waive your no-trade clause. Because I'm certain we could get a Starting Pitcher deal done with Dunn in the equation.

Dunn for Bedard straight up? I like it. I'm sure the O's would not, but I like it!!!!

_Sir_Charles_
12-20-2007, 02:47 PM
The O's are now saying that we've just now stated that we're willing to discuss Bruce for Bedard. Yikes.

*BaseClogger*
12-20-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't think it would be that hard to find a cheap FA to give us something at 1B. Just think Carlos Pena, Jack Cust, and Dmitri Young last year...

Stephenk29
12-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Nick Johnson is actually not a bad idea. I bet we could get him extremely cheap now that D.Young is tearing it up. Johnson is 30 and he has a pretty decent bat. His power would definitely soar going from the cavern of RFK to GABP. The past two years he hit right at .290 with about 25 bombs.

Hondo
12-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Naw, Nick Johnson is a better Sean Casey...

Thanks

AmarilloRed
12-20-2007, 10:59 PM
We can put Jorge Cantu at first. OOPS! We cut him.

GoReds33
12-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Naw, Nick Johnson is a better Sean Casey...

ThanksNick Johnson is Casey before he hurt his elbow. He has quite a bit of pop in his bat.

gedred69
12-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Dunn for Bedard straight up? I like it. I'm sure the O's would not, but I like it!!!!

What does anybody think, the Reds could or would throw in with Dunn to sweeten this deal to make it happen? It's a "new" idea that maybe could benefit the '08 season and beyond. Not that I'm for trading Dunn, but it is a different train of thought toward protecting the big 4 or 5, "prospects"?

Nasty_Boy
12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
As much as I would have liked to see Cantu on this team, I didn't like him at 1st base. In the short time I seen Cantu playing 1st his footwork looked terrible. He wasn't a great gloveman during his tenure as a 2nd baseman either. I don't think Dunn would be a bad option at 1st base, I just think they need to let him know going into an offseason instead of 2 weeks before spring training. The toughest thing about playing first (IMO) is the footwork and getting to the bag in time to accept the throws in a good fielding position.

Anyways, I wouldn't feel terrible seeing Hatteberg and Keppinger sharing at bats at 1st. This is the only infield position, I feel, that Keppinger is quick enough to play on a regular basis.

Orenda
12-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Anyways, I wouldn't feel terrible seeing Hatteberg and Keppinger sharing at bats at 1st. This is the only infield position, I feel, that Keppinger is quick enough to play on a regular basis.

I'm not a fan of Keppinger being an everyday player, or more importantly that his presence makes Edwin expendable like others suggest. But in his defense, he played adequatly at ss last year. A position which requires more lateral agility and quickness then the corner positions. If he is hitting, then I think he would fit in with a number of teams as a 2nd basemen. His main problem is that he's not a great glovemen for an everyday ss and he doesn't have the power you want from a 1st or 3rd basemen.

TheWalls
12-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Actually, Dunn really needs to learn to play DH. ;{)

AmarilloRed
12-21-2007, 10:58 AM
I am sure everyone will consider moving Dunn to first if we trade Votto, but that is simply a bad idea.

jmac
12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
I read where WK said Kepp would be getting Cantu's ab's so my guess was if they platoon at First then Kepp would get some starts there.

BucksandReds
12-21-2007, 03:07 PM
What does anybody think, the Reds could or would throw in with Dunn to sweeten this deal to make it happen? It's a "new" idea that maybe could benefit the '08 season and beyond. Not that I'm for trading Dunn, but it is a different train of thought toward protecting the big 4 or 5, "prospects"?

Dude the O's are trying to dump salary to compete in 2-3 years. Why would they take Dunn at 1 yr 13 mill?

bigredbunter
12-21-2007, 04:45 PM
yea he tried 1st base before and he was terrible and didnt act like he wanted to improve at it so they just gave up.

I remember the 1st base experiment, though, I didn't remember him playing the position poorly--Did you have specific impressions regarding his lack of acumen at the position?

Nasty_Boy
12-21-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm not a fan of Keppinger being an everyday player, or more importantly that his presence makes Edwin expendable like others suggest. But in his defense, he played adequatly at ss last year. A position which requires more lateral agility and quickness then the corner positions. If he is hitting, then I think he would fit in with a number of teams as a 2nd basemen. His main problem is that he's not a great glovemen for an everyday ss and he doesn't have the power you want from a 1st or 3rd basemen.

I will give you that Keppinger made plays on balls hit to him, but he has very little range and he wasn't very good turning the DP. I could handle him there for a few games but in the long run he will cost you runs by not getting to balls. He had a hard time on the slow roller and I think he was worse getting balls up the middle than getting to balls in the hole. I don't have a problem with him at the plate, but I would much rather play him at a position that didn't require great range.