PDA

View Full Version : Is Jay Bruce now the starting center fielder?

AmarilloRed
12-22-2007, 06:37 PM
My question is does this trade now make Jay Bruce the favorite to start in center field in 2008. We could still see Krivsky sign a established center fielder like Mike Cameron, but why do that when you can pay Bruce the minimum next year. I think it definitely gives him the edge. I made a mistake in creating the poll; I meant to ask if you believe he will be starting in 2008, not 2009.

*BaseClogger*
12-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I think we will see a constant lineup shuffle in the OF like April of last year...

Stephenk29
12-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I think we will see a constant lineup shuffle in the OF like April of last year...

agreed, but I wish it would be Bruce's to lose.

Jay Bruce
12-22-2007, 06:53 PM
I would love to see him win the job in the spring, but I could definitely see Baker taking a liking to Hopper or Freel. They have the speed Baker likes from his CF, as well as the scrappiness to appeal to the manager.

Stingray
12-22-2007, 07:14 PM
If it turns out Bruce needs a little more time in AAA, I'd like to see the Reds give Chris Dickerson a fair chance in CF in 08. With Dunn in left and Jr in right Dickersons' CF defense would be a godsend if he can even approach his AAA offense in Cincy.

Degenerate39
12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
They won't say it but he's the starting center fielder.

Marge'sMullet
12-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I would start him in spring training 2/3 of the time and go from there.

captainmorgan07
12-22-2007, 08:42 PM
he's clearly the favorite. I think hopper likes the reserve role where he can pinch hit and play defense for dunn late in games. Freel should be mostly backup infielder so Bruce clearly has to be the choice with mr. chris dickerson being second in line. Dickerson has worked his way up and deserves his chance also. If Cameron comes in he can step in for bruce if he struggles and if bruce doesn't cameron would be a great weapon off the bench.

mlbfan30
12-22-2007, 10:09 PM
I'll make a prediction now and say that Hopper is the starting CF batting leadoff on opening day, with Bruce on the bench. Not because Bruce isn't ready, but because Baker wants a "leadoff" guy to set the rest of the lineup.

AmarilloRed
12-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I don't think Bruce will sit on the Reds bench. He will either start every day for the Reds, or he will play every day in Louisville.