PDA

View Full Version : ORG members

*BaseClogger*
12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
I was wondering if any ORG members ever read the SunDeck, and if they don't, how are they supposed to be able to vote on who should be added?

Thanks

savafan
12-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, we do. :)

westofyou
12-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Yes, we do. :)

Actually No... many of us don't.

*BaseClogger*
12-24-2007, 02:49 PM
hey, I wouldn't if I was in the ORG, but then how are you guys supposed to know who should be added?

Highlifeman21
12-24-2007, 03:38 PM
hey, I wouldn't if I was in the ORG, but then how are you guys supposed to know who should be added?

I can't speak for all ORG members, nor would I ever attempt such a thing, but I read the SunDeck to keep tabs on prospective posters, and also to see how former ORG members that are still in the SunDeck post-split are handling things.

I don't read it everyday, but rather I'll check up/check in on more promising posters that have separated themselves from the overall noise that can be the SunDeck (at times).

gonelong
12-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Actually No... many of us don't.

I read daily.

GL

Tommyjohn25
12-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I visit there at least once every time I log on.

nate
12-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I do.

jojo
12-24-2007, 09:19 PM
I read the SunDeck.

Boss-Hog
12-24-2007, 10:16 PM
I read it, as well.

camisadelgolf
12-24-2007, 10:20 PM
About once or twice a week, I click on the SunDeck and open no more than a few threads--usually stuff that isn't being talked about in tORG. Also, when prospective ORG members are voted on, I look back on dozens of the most recent posts from the user in question.

SunDeck
12-26-2007, 01:22 PM
I do, primarily because my habit is to go by New Posts, which mixes all the different parts of the board together.

Ron Madden
12-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I read ORG, Minor League Talk and The Sun Deck.

I'm addicted to RedsZone.

:redface:

Chip R
12-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I try to but then my head starts to hurt.

WMR
12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I try to but then my head starts to hurt.

You prefer to read the most recent scuttlebutt in the "Bedard Talks Not Dead" thread? :laugh: :lol:

wheels
12-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I am always watching.

I am both omnipotent and omniscient.

PickOff
12-27-2007, 03:17 PM
I can't speak for all ORG members, nor would I ever attempt such a thing, but I read the SunDeck to keep tabs on prospective posters, and also to see how former ORG members that are still in the SunDeck post-split are handling things.

I don't read it everyday, but rather I'll check up/check in on more promising posters that have separated themselves from the overall noise that can be the SunDeck (at times).

How do you find that the former ORG members are handling things?

Highlifeman21
12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
How do you find that the former ORG members are handling things?

Some have adjusted well, and are now ORG members.

Others, not so much.

It seems that the former ORG members that took the split personally haven't adjusted well. But that's a very broad statement, so take it for what its worth.

Caveman Techie
12-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Well I just kind of found it funny that last week I had to go to an Orioles board to interact with an ORG member about baseball. Sad.

chicoruiz
12-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Odd you should mention it: I hadn't read Sundeck in quite a while, then just came back to it a week or so ago and was impressed. I'm not sure that an outsider would be able to tell one board from the other in a blind taste test.

jimbo
12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
It seems that the former ORG members that took the split personally haven't adjusted well.

I've debated whether to respond to this since I read it, so I'm just going to make a short comment.

I probably fall into this category, but speaking for myself only, I did not take it personally nor have I felt the need to "adjust" in order to get into ORG. I simply chose not to post as much or as in depth as I used to because of the constant feeling like I was in an audition. I came here simply to interact with Reds fans in the best environment possible, not to feel like I need to be a certain way in order to get accepted. Also, I have had a lot of personal problems in my life recently and they made my time here a much lower priority. If I am not ORG material, then so be it, I'm fine with it.

Please know that I do not mean my feelings as a way of criticism towards the forum or it's design. When the change was made, there was a consensus that a change needed to be made in ORG and I did not agree with that. Now, I know I was totally wrong because I find 95% of my time now spent at RedsZone is now lurking and reading ORG. The quality of discussion that goes on there is just fantastic and something that I never knew could exist in an internet messageboard, and the creators, moderators, and the members of ORG deserve a lot of credit for making it what it is today.

Okay, maybe it wasn't short but I said what I wanted to. :thumbup:

Go Reds!!!

Falls City Beer
12-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I read it once every couple of weeks. And even then, I find the content to be either totally stultifying or merely a doppelganger of the discussion being held on ORG.

I see no reason to go there unless a thread title catches my eye.

Raisor
12-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I check it out occasionally to see if anyone in the Sun Deck is talking about me. When I find that they aren't talking about me, I get very sad.

eichstadtreds
12-28-2007, 11:33 PM
I am a member of the Sundeck and i don't even read it. It seems to me that I get a much more satisfying read on the ORG.

Chip R
12-29-2007, 12:39 AM
You prefer to read the most recent scuttlebutt in the "Bedard Talks Not Dead" thread? :laugh: :lol:

That thread makes my head hurt too. Honestly, I feel really bad that I don't read Sun Deck as much as I should - especially since I'm a mod - but it's not necessarily the content that pains me, it's the tone. And a lot of it is repetitive to ORG but that's to be expected.

jojo
12-29-2007, 07:06 AM
I check it out occasionally to see if anyone in the Sun Deck is talking about me. When I find that they aren't talking about me, I get very sad.

Take heart. They are talking about you-they're just doing so via code. Any post on the Sundeck containing these words in combination- the, you, was, Reds-is in actuality specifically about you. As always, beware of men in black.... :cool:

remdog
12-29-2007, 01:35 PM
.....a doppelganger of the discussion being held on ORG.

That wouldn't be a problem with one board....

Rem

Handofdeath
12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
That wouldn't be a problem with one board....

Rem

You mean let the cool kids and the uncool kids interact together? What kind of hippie idea is that?

Falls City Beer
12-29-2007, 07:34 PM
You mean let the cool kids and the uncool kids interact together? What kind of hippie idea is that?

Yeah, I went to grade school in a school that had rooms that were called "pods"--no walls separating the individual grade levels. Hippie as hell.

There's no fighting city hall on this one; the mods' job was made easier, so basically, that was that. When it's framed that way, I have less of a problem with it philosophically. But then, who cares what I think? Right?

westofyou
12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I went to grade school in a school that had rooms that were called "pods"--no walls separating the individual grade levels. Hippie as hell.

High School for me... and the buildings were shaped like Pizza Hut.

I like Hippies.. to a point.

I volunteer anyone who wants one board to be a moderator, it should be easy right?

jojo
12-29-2007, 07:59 PM
"We thought the hippy subspecies would have died out long ago; a result of one too many acid trips. However, the hippy is apparently extremely resilient. Each new generation seems to spawn new hybrid forms. The hippy counterculture is spooky and will forever be a mystery to us."-Eric Cartman

Caveman Techie
12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't understand the argument of having two seperate boards as being easier for the moderators. With two boards they have twice the number of places to moderate thus making their job harder.

Unless the argument is based upon the presumption that the lower-class board does not get moderated at all, and you only let the "good" posters into the upper-class board. Which if this is the case then are they really moderators or just clique organizers.

jojo
12-29-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't understand the argument of having two seperate boards as being easier for the moderators. With two boards they have twice the number of places to moderate thus making their job harder.

Unless the argument is based upon the presumption that the lower-class board does not get moderated at all, and you only let the "good" posters into the upper-class board. Which if this is the case then are they really moderators or just clique organizers.

Hey now.....due to the large signing bonuses and very generous per diem, the ORG doesn't require moderation (unlike that rowdy splinter group, the minor league forum).....

The ORG really isn't cliquish but rather it's members represent the penultimate chic.... Therefore I propose the elimination of pejorative language such as upper/lower class in lieu of the much prettier sounding passé/chic... :cool:

Raisor
12-29-2007, 11:29 PM
The Sun Deck would be much more interesting if they did talk about me more.

Well, more interesting for me at least.

Yachtzee
12-29-2007, 11:56 PM

Would you feel better if they posted that picture of you where you look like the host of "Win Ben Stein's Hoochies?" ;)

WMR
12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
I think Raisor still has to pay each of those "YOUNG LADIES" fifty dollars in perpetuity every time that photo is posted.

remdog
12-30-2007, 09:15 AM
I volunteer anyone who wants one board to be a moderator, it should be easy right?

Yep. Just let everyone go at it. This board could use a little excitement. You all act as though you're some 61 y.o. white-bread male living in a perfect resort community that wears pastel Ralph Lauren polos and Gucci loafers without socks. Oh, wait a minute.....;)

Rem

WMR
12-30-2007, 10:09 AM
"white-bread" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unassisted
12-30-2007, 12:53 PM
I check it out occasionally to see if anyone in the Sun Deck is talking about me. When I find that they aren't talking about me, I get very sad.That's the funniest post I've read here in a very long time. :beerme:

AmarilloRed
12-30-2007, 02:58 PM

How many members of the Sun Deck know you are a member of ORG?:rolleyes:

jimbo
12-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Raisor is just having some fun.

And I know he is a member of ORG.

Handofdeath
12-30-2007, 05:30 PM

You are just begging for a Sun Deck thread of your own, aren't you? :laugh:

Raisor
12-30-2007, 05:51 PM

As one of the Ten, I'd assume that everyone on the Sun Deck would know who I am, and be jealous of my power.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

jojo
12-30-2007, 09:38 PM
As one of the Ten, I'd assume that everyone on the Sun Deck would know who I am, and be jealous of my power.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Looks like being one of the ten is kinda like being one of Santa's reindeer.... not many people can really name them all and really as long as a present is delivered, UPS or Fedex is preferable to deer poop on your roof..... :cool:

smoke6
12-31-2007, 05:15 PM
I've only been here 2 days, but I can already see that the ORG has much more in-depth baseball conversation happening than the Sun Deck. I feel jipped.:p:

Dom Heffner
12-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Well I just kind of found it funny that last week I had to go to an Orioles board to interact with an ORG member about baseball. Sad.

That really says more about some posters than it does about the board.

Not sure if you've ever read the words "Har Ecou" before, but believe me, if you had, you'd know why we have the two forums.

macro
01-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Speaking for myself, I moderate both forums equally, and read both just about every day. Most issues get handled privately, so it may seem that there's no "moderating" taking place.

westofyou
01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Speaking for myself, I moderate both forums equally, and read both just about every day. Most issues get handled privately, so it may seem that there's no "moderating" taking place.

Isn't any talk of how hard it is to moderate pretty moot right now? The board is always a sea of calmness in the off season compared to the the season, there is less traffic and less moments to trigger negative responses from those who create and those who reply to threads.

It's like baking bread at sea level and then at 8000 feet, same process, different results based on environment.

But hey... that's why I don't want to be a moderator.

Because it's time consuming and seems kinda taxing.

Let's revisit these sentiments during the season and see if if we get a different point of view (from the majority, some folks are firmly entrenched in their positions).

Z-Fly
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I read RedsZone a lot more than I post. The split is good for me, because I prefer to read the Sundeck over the ORG. It always feels like in the ORG that I have to Read 10 pages of crap to find out that we are unlikely to get Eric Bedard. :thumbdown Plus it seems like there are so many egos in the ORG, that are posting almost so they can hear thier own voice, so to speak. Fall City Beer is a someone that comes to mind. Sorry to personally attack someone.

I try not to be negitive, but it has something that has been on my mind for a little bit now. Honestly the only reason I would want to be a member of the ORG, would be so I can get a picture under my name.

Caveman Techie
01-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I've been a member here at Redszone for a long time never a member of the ORG even before the split, and yes I remember Har (what a jerk). However it still rubs me the wrong way that there is no way for ORG members and Sundeck members to discuss MLB.

I understand the reasons for changing the system from a rep sytem (gaming the system), but at the same time the ORG members access from Sundeck was removed. Now the mere fact that I as a Sundeck member can not discuss MLB with you, an ORG member on an open forum without breaking the rules of the site just seems wrong.

I also think the division of ORG and Sundeck is bad for the ORG. The one thing I've learned about the Internet is, your either growing or your dying. Eventually, the ORG membership is going to stop visiting the website as much for a variety of possible reasons. So that means the membership of the ORG will have to be replenished. Now the further removed from the split we are the less likely someone is to actually want to move over to the ORG. Lets say a user who signs up today, adds thoughtfull intelligent posts to threads and is invited to the ORG. Why would he want to ever move to the ORG to totally change the group of users he interacts with? He doesn't know who Raisor (there you go there's your Sundecker mention), WOY, or Boss are. Why would he want to be promoted to the ORG? I know me personally there are quite a few posters on the Sundeck that I enjoy reading and I would be hesitant to leave them behind.

Team Clark
01-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I read it often. Not every day as a lot of posts are similar but I do read Sun Deck none the less. I also vote on new members when I can or feel that I know some of their "work".

nate
01-02-2008, 02:29 PM
However it still rubs me the wrong way that there is no way for ORG members and Sundeck members to discuss MLB.

I know its not forum-based nor is it year-round but there's a pretty good mix of ORG and Sundeck peeps in chat during the games.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I've been a member here at Redszone for a long time never a member of the ORG even before the split, and yes I remember Har (what a jerk). However it still rubs me the wrong way that there is no way for ORG members and Sundeck members to discuss MLB.

I understand the reasons for changing the system from a rep sytem (gaming the system), but at the same time the ORG members access from Sundeck was removed. Now the mere fact that I as a Sundeck member can not discuss MLB with you, an ORG member on an open forum without breaking the rules of the site just seems wrong.

I also think the division of ORG and Sundeck is bad for the ORG. The one thing I've learned about the Internet is, your either growing or your dying. Eventually, the ORG membership is going to stop visiting the website as much for a variety of possible reasons. So that means the membership of the ORG will have to be replenished. Now the further removed from the split we are the less likely someone is to actually want to move over to the ORG. Lets say a user who signs up today, adds thoughtfull intelligent posts to threads and is invited to the ORG. Why would he want to ever move to the ORG to totally change the group of users he interacts with? He doesn't know who Raisor (there you go there's your Sundecker mention), WOY, or Boss are. Why would he want to be promoted to the ORG? I know me personally there are quite a few posters on the Sundeck that I enjoy reading and I would be hesitant to leave them behind.

I agree with these sentiments and it's why I started this thread. I would love to be a member of the ORG, but considering that most of the best posters in the SunDeck can't get in, I doubt I will ever be accepted. It just seems like the ORG is an elitist group that doesn't want their own distinction hurt by allowing any new members, which is a shame...

IowaRed
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who take it as a personal affront that they are not in the ORG. I obviously don't understand that viewpoint but as somebody who was a Reds fan long before the internet was around I appreciate having a central location for Reds information, regardless if there is a split within that location. There are procedures in place to "graduate" if that is your goal but it's been said a million times, this is not a democracy. It's a website run by real people who can decide how they want to run their website.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who take it as a personal affront that they are not in the ORG. I obviously don't understand that viewpoint but as somebody who was a Reds fan long before the internet was around I appreciate having a central location for Reds information, regardless if there is a split within that location. There are procedures in place to "graduate" if that is your goal but it's been said a million times, this is not a democracy. It's a website run by real people who can decide how they want to run their website.

well yeah I guess, but I wasn't taking it personally. Sorry I don't remember what it was like being a Reds fan before the internet :)

jojo
01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Sorry I don't remember what it was like being a Reds fan before the internet :)

There was that big red machine thing.... I wonder how many Reds fans would trade their internet connection for the return of those days?

remdog
01-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Now the mere fact that I as a Sundeck member can not discuss MLB with you, an ORG member on an open forum without breaking the rules of the site just seems wrong.

:thumbup:

Rem

Cyclone792
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I agree with these sentiments and it's why I started this thread. I would love to be a member of the ORG, but considering that most of the best posters in the SunDeck can't get in, I doubt I will ever be accepted. It just seems like the ORG is an elitist group that doesn't want their own distinction hurt by allowing any new members, which is a shame...

The changes were made because Reds Live was a sea of festering crap during its existence, and that's all you'll ever get if you allow ORG posters to interact with RL/SD posters. Meanwhile the ORG, which was set up to be the focus of Reds discussion, was a ghost town because too many ORG posters were willing to participate in the sea of festering crap known as Reds Live. Eventually the place just turns into cincinnati.com and reds.com, and what we saw with Reds Live last year is proof of that.

RZ's premise is geared toward high quality Reds discussion in the ORG. The only way to ensure that high quality discussion occurs on RZ (and the ORG) is to restrict access to the ORG to posters who have proven they'll provide high quality content. If ORG posters would be allowed to post in the SD, then the ORG would turn into a ghost town once again and the Sun Deck would be Reds Live version 2.0, in other words, another sea of festering crap.

As far as I'm concerned, the quality discussion on RZ during the last six months is as high as I've ever seen it, and jimbo already correctly pointed that out in this thread. High quality discussion is the goal of the forum, and the ORG in the last six months has provided that. The ORG is far from dying; it's absolutely thriving. Just 10 minutes ago there were 113 people viewing the ORG (granted some of them were search engine spiders). It's January 2nd. It's the offseason. Spring training is still over six weeks away. This time last year the ORG would be lucky to have 40 people viewing it.

Just wait until the Reds are actually good. The readership in the ORG will absolutely explode, as will participation across the entire forum.

I'd welcome anybody unhappy with RZ/ORG to try to post on the main board at SoSH. You want to post there, then you'd better pony up and pay a fee. I find it ironic that the Orioles board - Orioles Hangout - was referenced too. Guess what happens once you reach 500 posts and you want to continue to post there? You're required to pay a fee.

Boss and GIK could very easily charge a fee for posting on RZ, but they don't. I can't speak for them, but if I had a guess then I'd say what they want most with RZ is just a place with high quality Reds discussion.

Unassisted
01-02-2008, 08:09 PM
It was said at the time that the interaction between some ORG-eligible posters and some ineligible posters on baseball topics was creating more work for the moderators. Keeping the camps separate reduces the friction and makes things more peaceful.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, when you guys talk about the "old days" I have no idea what you are talking about...

Handofdeath
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Boss and GIK could very easily charge a fee for posting on RZ, but they don't. I can't speak for them, but if I had a guess then I'd say what they want most with RZ is just a place with high quality Reds discussion.

Recent post on ORG verbatim:

"Jim Leyritz is a tool"

Yeah, I can see why I didn't get voted in. I mean how do you compete with that? And the Tim Hummel thread? Such concise, thoughtful discussion. High quality indeed. When I read the likes of " theys retirin' fiddy eight, as in eight bawl, yo RemDawwwwg." it's so obvious that I and others need to step up our games. Well, I better get back to the Sun Deck. There's a "Who loves tater tots?" thread I'm dying to post on since I can't participate in the infamous "Bedard talks not dead but this discussion is" thread.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Recent post on ORG verbatim:

"Jim Leyritz is a tool"

Yeah, I can see why I didn't get voted in. I mean how do you compete with that? And the Tim Hummel thread? Such concise, thoughtful discussion. High quality indeed. When I read the likes of " theys retirin' fiddy eight, as in eight bawl, yo RemDawwwwg." it's so obvious that I and others need to step up our games. Well, I better get back to the Sun Deck. There's a "Who loves tater tots?" thread I'm dying to post on since I can't participate in the infamous "Bedard talks not dead but this discussion is" thread.

:bowrofl:

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2008, 09:19 PM
thanks everybody for clearing things up :)

Boss-Hog
01-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Now that the poster who started this thread received an answer to the original question, I'm closing this thread because I don't see anything else good that will come from the rest of it.