PDA

View Full Version : Bengals to Draft Ninth

Dom Heffner
12-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Not sure if this is new news, but Bengals fared best out of logjam of 7-9 teams.

From the Enquirer site:

By virtue of their weak schedule, the Bengals will draft ninth in April, the NFL announced this afternoon.

The Bengals were one of seven teams to finish 7-9, but they were the worst of the 7-9 teams based on their strength of schedule. Bengals opponents had a winning percentage of .461 with a composite 118-138 record.

No. 9 is the highest the Bengals have drafted in five seasons that Marvin Lewis has overseen as head coach.

They were first overall in the 2003 draft (Carson Palmer) as the result of compiling the NFL's worst record, 2-14, in Dick LeBeau's last season as coach.

Under Lewis, the Bengals have earned the Nos. 17 (traded down twice to No. 26, 2004), 17, 24 and 18 picks in the past four years.

Besides Palmer, the Bengals have drafted running back Chris Perry, linebacker David Pollack and cornerbacks Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall under Lewis’ direction.

posted by Mark at 1:46 PM 0 comments

WMR
12-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Nice!!

WMR
I guess. :lol:

WMR
Under the circumstances. :laugh:

KronoRed
12-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Talking to yourself there WIly Mo? :D

WMR
12-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Talking to yourself there WIly Mo? :D

:D

You've got to be at least a little crazy to be a Bengals fan.

GoReds33
12-31-2007, 04:28 PM
:D

You've got to be at least a little crazy to be a Bengals fan.Agreed.

:beerme:

klw
12-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Good to see Patriots picking 7th, they need the help.

macro
01-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Good to see Patriots picking 7th, they need the help.

Hopefully they'll be able to find that one player that will put them over the hump.

OldRightHander
01-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Hopefully they'll be able to find that one player that will put them over the hump.

Call me sick, but I'm actually hoping that they end up picking up a problem child who ends up getting arrested a few times, just so some other team can deal with that stigma for a change.

traderumor
01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I hear the Patriots are looking at the top videographer out of the UCLA drama department :p:

Highlifeman21
01-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Besides Palmer, the Bengals have drafted running back Chris Perry, linebacker David Pollack and cornerbacks Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall under Lewis’ direction.

Ah Chris Perry, the gift that keeps on giving (nothing).

Pollack is an unfortunate situation, so we'll never know his potential.

Jospeh and Hall are still works in progress, but an attempt to address a blatant need/deficiency.

Unfortunately my crystal ball for the Bengals' options with the 9th pick doesn't yield an impact player that will magically help this pathetic franchise. Conversely, I don't see any such unicorn in this coming draft, so all teams are in the same boat.

The best thing that could happen for the Bengals is for Mike Brown to cease to exist. I just blame him for all the Bengals' woes, as well as drafting Chris Perry. I don't know if that's fair or not, but at this point I could care less. Every year goes by and it just reinforces how horrible that pick truly was.

WMR
01-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Who are we going to draft?

Highlifeman21
01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Who are we going to draft?

While I wish we could get either Dorsey or Long (Howie's son) and they could significantly help us, I think we'll end up doing something criminally stupid and taking someone like Keith Rivers (USC LB), Ali Highsmith (LSU LB), Quentin Groves (Auburn DE), Leodis McKelvin (Troy CB) or Limas Sweed (Texas WR).

Guys that project between the 6th and 12th picks are as follows, as of 1/1/08 according to MKJr.

Dan Connor - Penn State LB
Kentwan Balmer - North Carolina DT
Mike Jenkins - South Florida CB
Sam Baker - USC OT
Chris Williams - Vanderbilt OT
Keith Rivers - USC LB
Tracy Porter - Indiana CB

Connor is the only one out of that group that I remotely like, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Patriots @ 7, due to the fact they'll eventually have to start replacing their Senior Citizen LBs.

WMR
01-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Seems to me, as much as we need help on the d-line, we needs LBers even more.

WMR
01-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I wish the Bengals could find a way to draft Keenan Burton in the later rounds.

WMR
01-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I wonder if Wesley Woodyard would still be available in the 3rd/4th rounds? He is a tackling MACHINE.

MWM
01-01-2008, 02:27 PM

I stood in disbelief when they announced that pick. It was a horrendous pick at the time and has proven to be even worse than it looked.

What baffled me is that Steven Jackson was still sitting there and the Bengals chose Chris Perry. Even at the time, I was screaming for Jackson. How good would the Bengals have been the last few years with Jackson at tailback? I'd have to question anyone who thought Perry was a better pick than Jackson.

Highlifeman21
01-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Seems to me, as much as we need help on the d-line, we needs LBers even more.

Given Thurman's cloudy future, I agree that we need to reassess the LB situation, but Dan Connor is the only LB I like that's draft-bound (as of right now) and I don't see him being around @ 9.

Highlifeman21
01-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I stood in disbelief when they announced that pick. It was a horrendous pick at the time and has proven to be even worse than it looked.

What baffled me is that Steven Jackson was still sitting there and the Bengals chose Chris Perry. Even at the time, I was screaming for Jackson. How good would the Bengals have been the last few years with Jackson at tailback? I'd have to question anyone who thought Perry was a better pick than Jackson.

It seemed that the logic at the time was that Perry would be a receiving HB, or converted to WR.

Regardless, neither have happened, and it was a lousy pick.

MWM
01-01-2008, 02:35 PM
It seemed that the logic at the time was that Perry would be a receiving HB, or converted to WR.

I'm not sure about that. Why would anyone spend a first rounder on a receiving HB?

Highlifeman21
01-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure about that. Why would anyone spend a first rounder on a receiving HB?

I didn't say it was good logic.

Just jot Perry down in the same category of Bengals' draft picks as Akili Smith.

traderumor
01-01-2008, 03:03 PM
A healthy Perry looks a lot different than an injured one in the grand scheme of things. He was a huge contributor in the playoff year and would have likely fallen into the yards that Kenny Watson got this year due to Rudy's hammy. It is real easy to say they could have had so and so, but he provided value when he got on the field. Sometimes you have to look beyond "first round pick."

traderumor
01-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I didn't say it was good logic.

Just jot Perry down in the same category of Bengals' draft picks as Akili Smith.No comparison, Akili was a top 5 pick, Perry second half of the first round. Akili could not perform due to lack of ability, Perry has been injured. There are a lot of different philosophies available to decide on a pick in the latter half of the first round than with a top 5 pick.

Boss-Hog
01-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I also agree that comparing Perry to Akili is a major stretch, but it doesn't require years of hindsight to realize that the 2004 (and 2007) Bengals weren't nearly good enough defensively to have the luxury of using a first round pick on a third down back. I'm sure they weren't fully convinced that, even after his fine 2003 season, Rudi was the real deal, but that's a call that should have been able to make after a year of evaluation and shouldn't require using a first round pick as running back insurance. Of course, if they absolutely had to take a RB, Stephen Jackson was the number one back on every board that year (except ours, of course).

Highlifeman21
01-01-2008, 04:55 PM
A healthy Perry looks a lot different than an injured one in the grand scheme of things. He was a huge contributor in the playoff year and would have likely fallen into the yards that Kenny Watson got this year due to Rudy's hammy. It is real easy to say they could have had so and so, but he provided value when he got on the field. Sometimes you have to look beyond "first round pick."

I agree that a healthy Perry is a completely different animal, but he's injury prone, so are we ever really seeing a healthy Perry? Unfortunately, Perry is not as good of a runner in the backfield as Irons or Watson, so I'm not sold on the idea that had he been healthy he would have gotten Watson's yards.

The thing that confused me at the time was why we selected a HB in the 1st Round when we had no immediate need for said position. If we needed a HB, then Perry certainly could have been an option, although he wasn't even the best HB left on the board at the time, so it just reaffirms the lack of direction that is the Bengals' drafting strategy.

traderumor
01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
I also agree that comparing Perry to Akili is a major stretch, but it doesn't require years of hindsight to realize that the 2004 (and 2007) Bengals weren't nearly good enough defensively to have the luxury of using a first round pick on a third down back. I'm sure they weren't fully convinced that, even after his fine 2003 season, Rudi was the real deal, but that's a call that should have been able to make after a year of evaluation and shouldn't require using a first round pick as running back insurance. Of course, if they absolutely had to take a RB, Stephen Jackson was the number one back on every board that year (except ours, of course).I think he was drafted as the heir apparent to Rudi, but his injury history prevented them from not shelling out the dough to Rudi. I'm starting to wonder if Rudi doesn't have hit men--Perry, then Irons, a pattern is developing.

Boss-Hog
01-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I think he was drafted as the heir apparent to Rudi, but his injury history prevented them from not shelling out the dough to Rudi. I'm starting to wonder if Rudi doesn't have hit men--Perry, then Irons, a pattern is developing.
I don't know that I buy that - when we drafted Perry, Rudi had just completed his first season seeing significant NFL action. 2004 was the first year that he went into a season as the full-time starter.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
What about this Maualuga kid playing LB for USC???

Wouldn't mind him playing for the Bengals.

Looks amazing out there.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
What's a good website for mock drafts?

Joseph
01-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Sedrick Ellis the DT from USC seems to be the early consensus amongst mock draft 'experts' for the Bengals at 9.

WVRed
01-01-2008, 06:46 PM

www.hailredskins.com

As far as the Perry pick goes, MWM made a good point about Steven Jackson, but at the time, we had Rudi who had emerged and they wanted a complimentary back, not somebody who would have dominated the carries.

I would have been happy with Kevin Jones or Steven Jackson, but I think the one player the Bengals really missed out on as much as I hate to admit it is Chris Gamble. At the time, I thought he was too raw and never would make it, but he has really paid off for Carolina.

If we stay at 9, Sedrick Ellis or James Laurianitis would be your most likely picks.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:47 PM
What about Maualuga?

Also: Do you think Wesley Woodyard will be converted to SS in the NFL? I heard that during the game last night.

Where are the UK boys going to be drafted?

traderumor
01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't know that I buy that - when we drafted Perry, Rudi had just completed his first season seeing significant NFL action. 2004 was the first year that he went into a season as the full-time starter.Rudi languished for 2, maybe 3 years on the bench and was due a payday if he became a star, which he did. If it was not in mind, it should have been. Instead, they gave him a big contract, which was regrettable then and now.

Danny Serafini
01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Instead, they gave him a big contract, which was regrettable then and now.

Disagree completely. Rudi was a workhorse and a Pro Bowl RB. It's never regrettable to sign one of those. He did fall off, somewhat predictably, this year. But in the land of nonguaranteed contracts you simply cut your losses and move on. Keeping Rudi on was undoubtably the right call when it was made, as 2005 and 2006 showed.

As for Chris Perry, the problem wasn't so much drafting him personally, it was the fact that when a team has a glaring need for defense and holes in its lineup drafting a 3rd down back with your first pick is a horrible strategy. The fact that his body collapsed the second he stepped foot in Cincinnati was just icing on an already foul-tasting cake.

Boss-Hog
01-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Disagree completely. Rudi was a workhorse and a Pro Bowl RB. It's never regrettable to sign one of those. He did fall off, somewhat predictably, this year. But in the land of nonguaranteed contracts you simply cut your losses and move on. Keeping Rudi on was undoubtably the right call when it was made, as 2005 and 2006 showed.

As for Chris Perry, the problem wasn't so much drafting him personally, it was the fact that when a team has a glaring need for defense and holes in its lineup drafting a 3rd down back with your first pick is a horrible strategy. The fact that his body collapsed the second he stepped foot in Cincinnati was just icing on an already foul-tasting cake.
I agree with you - resigning Rudi was a good move after the 2004 season, but failing to recognize that he was capable of doing that after the 2003 season was not.

traderumor
01-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Rudi messed up his body, ironically, when he went on the healthy eating regimen, in my not so sophisticated opinion. I disagree completely with paying big money for a "workhorse" and "Pro Bowl" is about as meaningful as "All Star" in baseball. In the NFL, you pay big money for game changing backs. Rudi type backs are disposables. Throw one away, insert another, which Perry fit perfectly.

I was OK when we resigned Rudi, but I wish the Bengals had the luxury of letting him go and plugging in Perry and spending money to keep someone like Steinbach or sign a free agent front 7 player. Water under the bridge at this point, though, they pretty much got stuck having to sign Rudi because they did not have a clear replacement due to Perry's injury instability.

Ron Madden
01-02-2008, 12:01 AM
As long as Mike Brown is in charge the Bengals could have the first nine picks in the draft and it wouldn't matter.

Bip Roberts
01-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Anyone that plays DE, DT or LB please. Id take the LB from Ohio state if he drops to us and if he leaves.

Cedric
01-02-2008, 04:28 AM
NEVER pay big money for RB types like Rudi. Let them walk and pick up another dime a dozen back like him. That type of back can't last with the physical punishment they take and it's just a waste of money. Give me Steinbach over Rudi any day. Also you let Justin Smith walk instead of paying 8 million and not signing Steinbach.

When announcers consistently call you a "grinder" and a "run stopper" you are not worthy of 8 million dollars at that position. We need play makers and he is certainly not one of those.

OesterPoster
01-02-2008, 08:47 AM
I agreed with picking a RB at the time of the Perry pick, just not him. Steven Jackson was the better option, and I still think so. You have to remember that Rudi was not under contract at the time of the draft, so the Bengals were protecting themselves by picking a running back, just in case Rudi didn't sign. Typical Brown family negotiating tactic, in my opinion.

gonelong
01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Give me Steinbach over Rudi any day.

Also you let Justin Smith walk instead of paying 8 million and not signing Steinbach.

That should have been as plain as the nose on their face. Can't believe they let Steinbach go.

GL

Bip Roberts
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
That should have been as plain as the nose on their face. Can't believe they let Steinbach go.

GL

Bengals have personnel issues they couldnt keep him or ESPN would have thrown a fit saying how the Bengals love keeping their criminals

bucksfan2
01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I agreed with picking a RB at the time of the Perry pick, just not him. Steven Jackson was the better option, and I still think so. You have to remember that Rudi was not under contract at the time of the draft, so the Bengals were protecting themselves by picking a running back, just in case Rudi didn't sign. Typical Brown family negotiating tactic, in my opinion.

Rudi wasn't under contract and was looking at a big pay rase coming off his good season. The bengals had Perry rated higher than Steven Jackson. Whether you/I agree with that rating it was what the bengals and their coaches wanted. Perry is a dymanic running back who has paid dividens when he has been healthy. I don't believe he was injury prone in college but his injuries in the NFL have been unfortunate.

As for this draft I am not a big Conner fan nor a fan of taking a DT in the first round. They are in a fortunate position because a lot of the teams ahead of them need QB help so some good defensive players may slip to the Bengals.

traderumor
01-02-2008, 11:29 AM
I agreed with picking a RB at the time of the Perry pick, just not him. Steven Jackson was the better option, and I still think so. You have to remember that Rudi was not under contract at the time of the draft, so the Bengals were protecting themselves by picking a running back, just in case Rudi didn't sign. Typical Brown family negotiating tactic, in my opinion.Mike Brown can be criticized for many things, but drafting in a way to provide a contingency for an undecided contract situation is good business.

CrackerJack
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
As long as Mike Brown is in charge the Bengals could have the first nine picks in the draft and it wouldn't matter.

Yep. If a franchise QB who's finished in the top 5 the last 3-4 years can't help them get over the proverbial hump, nothing will outside of significant operational/business model changes.

The Bengals' are hopeless. I have friends who go to games as season ticket holders, yet every year they try to literally give away tickets to crappy games in crappy weather and can't find takers.

But like Mike Brown, a man who never changes, they are still stupid enough to re-up on their tickets every year, and then complain about how lame the actual games are.

Whatever, I quit going after 2005 and never plan on going back unless they do the following:

Add at least 4-5 more full-time scouts

Add a personnel GM from outside of their current management staff who has a track record of success

Build an indoor practice facility

Change their idiotic salary cap allotment model that only pays RB's, WR's, QB's and OT's with hardly any flexibility. Recently, they've paid DE's as well. Outside of those positions, they typically let every player go who's any good once their first contact is up (Steinbach and Goff are two recent examples, you could throw in Spikes regardless of his reasons, Sam Shade, others).

Fire Paul Alexander (he's AWFUL and never receives criticism) and any other coach who's been around here that long.

Mario-Rijo
01-02-2008, 07:18 PM
While I wish we could get either Dorsey or Long (Howie's son) and they could significantly help us, I think we'll end up doing something criminally stupid and taking someone like Keith Rivers (USC LB), Ali Highsmith (LSU LB), Quentin Groves (Auburn DE), Leodis McKelvin (Troy CB) or Limas Sweed (Texas WR).

Guys that project between the 6th and 12th picks are as follows, as of 1/1/08 according to MKJr.

Dan Connor - Penn State LB
Kentwan Balmer - North Carolina DT
Mike Jenkins - South Florida CB
Sam Baker - USC OT
Chris Williams - Vanderbilt OT
Keith Rivers - USC LB
Tracy Porter - Indiana CB

Connor is the only one out of that group that I remotely like, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Patriots @ 7, due to the fact they'll eventually have to start replacing their Senior Citizen LBs.

Kentwan Balmer could help. He seems like a really good pass rushing DT prospect. Although the last 1st rounder we took at that position was supposed to be better than Dorsey is now and look how that turned out.

I am waiting for the Jr's to make themselves eligible before I start getting Mock happy. But I wouldn't mind Connor but would love to get Laurinaitis there (I think he leaves for sure). I could also see taking Baker from USC happening and letting Willie make Phat Burgers full time. I hoped one day that Andrews could be that guy but I'm not alltogether sold on him nor is the staff IMO, at least at RT.

But I see quentin Groves as a legitimate target for the staff. They have a strong need for a pass rusher. He may not be a DE though, but I honestly see them considering a 3-4 this coming season. I never have before but it looks like it's possible to do at this point. That would make Groves an OLB in that scheme which he may be better suited for.

Boss-Hog
01-02-2008, 10:25 PM
You have to remember that Rudi was not under contract at the time of the draft, so the Bengals were protecting themselves by picking a running back, just in case Rudi didn't sign.

Rudi wasn't under contract and was looking at a big pay rase coming off his good season.

Though it wasn't long term, Rudi was under contract through the 2004 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=bengalsrjohnson&prov=st&type=lgns

My point has always been that they should have signed him after 2003 or let him go after 2004. While a franchise record breaking 2004 season certainly helped the team on the field in 2004, it also meant paying more than they would have after a very productive 2003 season and wasting a first round pick on an insurance policy (and clearly not the highest rated RB available at that time).

Mario-Rijo
01-03-2008, 12:10 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=bengalsrjohnson&prov=st&type=lgns

My point has always been that they should have signed him after 2003 or let him go after 2004. While a franchise record breaking 2004 season certainly helped the team on the field in 2004, it also meant paying more than they would have after a very productive 2003 season and wasting a first round pick on an insurance policy (and clearly not the highest rated RB available at that time).

I agree with that notion.

But my thoughts then and now about Perry was that the boneheads in the FO were duped in that draft. I think that they felt Steven Jackson was the pick however the Rams offered what seemed like a sweetheart deal. They had to be thinking (at least I was) that with the offense that St. Louis ran at the time and Marshall Faulk in rapid decline, that Perry was the ideal back for the Rams. Sure he had his issues as did Jackson (lots of carries on that body) but he was the perfect fit or so it seemed. They probably felt that they were still going to be able to choose Jackson and worst case scenario they could fallback to Perry or Jones (who said later that they told him they were gonna pick him) if they indeed were wrong.

Just a thought but it adds up IMO. I'll also add this, I was so psyched when Jackson fell to us and so disgusted when we ended up with Perry (the one guy I didn't want at our pick) that I actually made myself physically sick for the rest of the day about what could have been. I wanted Jackson and then Gamble as plan B., Perry well he was not plan C. he was the character at the end of the Chinese Alphabet, whatever that is.

OesterPoster
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM

Oops, I didn't think he was under contract, but I do remember that there was a huge question mark about whether or not Rudi would be back.

Benihana
01-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Mike Brown can be criticized for many things, but drafting in a way to provide a contingency for an undecided contract situation is good business.

No, it's not when you are talking about using a first round pick to protect yourself in a contract negotiation. First round picks are viewed as gold to NFL teams, and you can't simply squander that asset to save a few dollars. Otherwise, why not just "pass" when its your turn to pick.

Benihana
01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Kentwan Balmer could help. He seems like a really good pass rushing DT prospect. Although the last 1st rounder we took at that position was supposed to be better than Dorsey is now and look how that turned out.

I am waiting for the Jr's to make themselves eligible before I start getting Mock happy. But I wouldn't mind Connor but would love to get Laurinaitis there (I think he leaves for sure). I could also see taking Baker from USC happening and letting Willie make Phat Burgers full time. I hoped one day that Andrews could be that guy but I'm not alltogether sold on him nor is the staff IMO, at least at RT.

But I see quentin Groves as a legitimate target for the staff. They have a strong need for a pass rusher. He may not be a DE though, but I honestly see them considering a 3-4 this coming season. I never have before but it looks like it's possible to do at this point. That would make Groves an OLB in that scheme which he may be better suited for.

Balmer is not a top 10 pick, nor are Groves or Connor. Kiper's list hasn't been updated in some time, as evidenced by his statement that Balmer should be ready to "break out" this season.

If the Bengals are going to get a defensive lineman, I hope it's Sedrick Ellis. He is far and away the best d-lineman out there not named Dorsey or Long, and those guys will be long gone by #9. Not to mention, he is a great character guy.

If they don't take Ellis, they better sign Haynesworth. If they do that, they could take Keith Rivers or either Buckeye (Gholston or Laurinaitis)- assuming they come out. However, I'd rather see them draft Ellis and sign Terrell Suggs.

Benihana
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM

nfldraftcountdown.com is pretty good, as are todd mcshay's mock drafts on espn insider. both of those are updated fairly regularly.

WMR
01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
What about the LBer Maumaleuga from USC? He really impressed me during the Rose Bowl. Is he going to come out?

HotCorner
01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
What about the LBer Maumaleuga from USC? He really impressed me during the Rose Bowl. Is he going to come out?

I hope so. He's a beast. Here's what interests me the most about him - his attitude. This defense needs some attitude!

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/maualuga_rey00.html

His style: "I want to become the player that the offense gameplans around, that the offense fears coming into the game."

WMR
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
HC, if he came out I would be thrilled if the Bengals drafted him.

OesterPoster
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I hope so. He's a beast. Here's what interests me the most about him - his attitude. This defense needs some attitude!

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/maualuga_rey00.html

Exactly. Every great defense has someone who is feared by opposing offenses. Nobody on the Bengals' current defense strikes an ounce of fear into the opponent. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed do that for the Ravens. Brian Urlacher does that. Jason Taylor, yes. Rodney Harrison, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, etc. The Bengals have not had that type of guy since David Fulcher, IMHO. Takeo Spikes was probably close, but the rest of the defense was too horrible.

WMR
01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rey_Maualuga

HotCorner
01-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately it appears that he is staying for his senior season.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/usc-rachal-quarterback-1952396-players-maualuga

Linebacker Rey Maualuga has been adamant for weeks. He said he wouldn't turn professional after his junior year no matter how well his Rose Bowl went or much his stock grew among NFL scouts.

After Maualuga was named the bowl's defensive MVP after he sacked quarterback Juice Williams three times and picked off one of his passes, the question popped up again. Maualuga said Tuesday his plans aren't changing.

"Nobody can offer me enough money to leave," Maualuga said. "It won't happen. I made my decision and I'm going to stick to it."

traderumor
01-03-2008, 12:51 PM
No, it's not when you are talking about using a first round pick to protect yourself in a contract negotiation. First round picks are viewed as gold to NFL teams, and you can't simply squander that asset to save a few dollars. Otherwise, why not just "pass" when its your turn to pick.Eh? You have a degree of uncertainty that Rudi could walk and you have no one in house to take his place, so using a first round pick to replace an above average back is "squandering" a pick? Glad you're not in charge.

Degenerate39
01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
When is Chris Long expected to be taken in the draft?

BRM
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM

I've seen him as high as #2 overall.

Benihana
01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Eh? You have a degree of uncertainty that Rudi could walk and you have no one in house to take his place, so using a first round pick to replace an above average back is "squandering" a pick? Glad you're not in charge.

No, Rudi was signed through the 2004 season. When a team is 8-8 and one season removed from 2-14, I think they have a lot more pressing needs than drafting to fill out depth at a position of strength. It sounds like if you were in charge, the Bengals would be quite similar to the Bungles of today.

Benihana
01-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Should be a top 5 pick, but I'm guessing it will be dependant upon the combine.

HotCorner
01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Here are the players I expect to be off the board by the Bengals pick:

Glenn Dorsey
Darren McFadden
Chris Long
Matt Ryan
Brian Brohm
Jake Long

I belive one of these three will be available at 9.

James Laurinaitis
Vernon Gholston
Sedrick Ellis

Benihana
01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Here are the players I expect to be off the board by the Bengals pick:

Glenn Dorsey
Darren McFadden
Chris Long
Matt Ryan
Brian Brohm
Jake Long

I belive one of these three will be available at 9.

James Laurinaitis
Vernon Gholston
Sedrick Ellis

I agree, and I'd like to see the Bengals take Ellis first, and either of the Buckeyes second. Keith Rivers or Kenny Phillips would be Plan C.

traderumor
01-03-2008, 01:32 PM
No, Rudi was signed through the 2004 season. When a team is 8-8 and one season removed from 2-14, I think they have a lot more pressing needs than drafting to fill out depth at a position of strength. It sounds like if you were in charge, the Bengals would be quite similar to the Bungles of today.And able to walk at the end of the 2005 season, if I remember my facts correctly. That was the same season the team made the playoffs, Perry comes up lame late in the season, his return is uncertain, so they end up buckling and giving the contract to Rudi. I think the Bengals were of a mind to let Rudi walk, but Perry's injury squashed that idea. Again, despite your attempt at tit-for-tat, the fact remains that does not fit the definition of a "squandered" pick with that type of very likely gameplan. And that handwriting was written very clearly on the wall with the pick, in my most humble, honest opinion ;) .

LoganBuck
01-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I think Linebacker is a luxury pick in the first round for this team. The pick must be a DT or DE, imo. You can pick up a linebacker in lower rounds. Maybe not a physical freak, but a player nonetheless.

WVRed
01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
If I had to do a mock(simulation coin flip included) before the Bengals pick, this would be it:

1.Miami:Glenn Dorsey
2.St Louis:Jake Long
3.Atlanta:Darren McFadden
4.Oakland:Chris Long
5.Kansas City:Matt Ryan
6.New York:Chris Long
7.New England:James Laurianitis
8.Baltimore:Brian Brohm

I'm starting to like Keith Rivers the more and more I read. That being said, Miami is the real wild card, because Parcells likes to wheel and deal during the draft and Miami has a lot of needs. Take your pick.

WMR
01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Just for @#$%'@ and giggles, what would the Bengals have to relinquish to get Miami's draft pick?

traderumor
01-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I think Linebacker is a luxury pick in the first round for this team. The pick must be a DT or DE, imo. You can pick up a linebacker in lower rounds. Maybe not a physical freak, but a player nonetheless.Whether he comes from the draft or free agency, the D will not be any good again unless they have an impact DL and an impact LBer. The front 7 has been running on support guys for most of Marvin's tenure, starting with the walking of Spikes, and when was the last time the Bengals had an impact Dlineman? He did draft two potential impact LBers in Thurmond and Pollack, but we got one above average season out of one and the other we hardly knew.

WMR
01-03-2008, 02:39 PM
I thought you had some man-love for Justin Smith, tr?

traderumor
01-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I thought you had some man-love for Justin Smith, tr?Nope, I just thought your criticism in the Browns game was misplaced because he actually had a really good game, yet you called him out. Of course, you also criticized the front 7 in that game, which is one they actually did pretty well, hence the win and 4 picks.

11larkin11
01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
From a Browns fan, sitting at 9 your best bet is to take Sedrick Ellis, or if hes gone Calais Campbell. Gholston is also considered a Top 10 pick at would be great as a DE for you guys.

Benihana
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
From a Browns fan, sitting at 9 your best bet is to take Sedrick Ellis, or if hes gone Calais Campbell. Gholston is also considered a Top 10 pick at would be great as a DE for you guys.

Ellis I love. Gholston I like. I want no part of Calais Campbell, especially at #9.

WVRed
01-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Just for @#$%'@ and giggles, what would the Bengals have to relinquish to get Miami's draft pick?

If it were me, Chad Johnson plus a swap of first round picks for starters.

Highlifeman21
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
If I had to do a mock(simulation coin flip included) before the Bengals pick, this would be it:

1.Miami:Glenn Dorsey
2.St Louis:Jake Long
3.Atlanta:Darren McFadden
4.Oakland:Chris Long
5.Kansas City:Matt Ryan
6.New York:Chris Long
7.New England:James Laurianitis
8.Baltimore:Brian Brohm

I'm starting to like Keith Rivers the more and more I read. That being said, Miami is the real wild card, because Parcells likes to wheel and deal during the draft and Miami has a lot of needs. Take your pick.

I completely agree that The Animal, Jr. would look very enticing to the Pats @ 7, since I think all but 1 member of their LB group collects Social Security.

That being said, I hope they somehow overlook him, or draft for a different need and he falls to us @ 9.

Highlifeman21
01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
If it were me, Chad Johnson plus a swap of first round picks for starters.

Wrong Johnson.

Keep Chad, send Rudi.

WVRed
01-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Wrong Johnson.

Keep Chad, send Rudi.

Disagree.

Rudi has very little value right now. He is 28(which is about the time RB's go downhill) and is starting to show signs of age. He may possibly be cut in favor of the Kenny's in the offseason.

Chad is starting to reach the age plateau as well. I have to believe that he is one that Marvin pointed out as being concerned more about statistics than winning games, plus his altercations with Palmer make this doable.

The Dolphins need somebody who will provide some marketability for the franchise. Take Chad and pair him up to groom Ginn and draft Andre Woodson with the 9th pick.

Highlifeman21
01-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Disagree.

Rudi has very little value right now. He is 28(which is about the time RB's go downhill) and is starting to show signs of age. He may possibly be cut in favor of the Kenny's in the offseason.

Chad is starting to reach the age plateau as well. I have to believe that he is one that Marvin pointed out as being concerned more about statistics than winning games, plus his altercations with Palmer make this doable.

The Dolphins need somebody who will provide some marketability for the franchise. Take Chad and pair him up to groom Ginn and draft Andre Woodson with the 9th pick.

I agree that Rudi has very little value right now, but Carson will need someone to throw to, and I'd rather it be Chad than Housz or Henry or someone we draft. Actually, now that I think about Housz, send him packing along with Rudi. Attempt to maximize return on investment. Get something for Rudi. If that means moving Housz along with Rudi to gain another 1st Rounder, then do it.

Chad would instantly put a face on the Dolphin franchise, alongside Jason Taylor, but giving up Chad isn't worth the #1 overall pick for the Bengals due to the lack of an immediate impact player in the draft. If the draft was better then maybe, just maybe, you move Chad and attempt to gain another 1st Round Draft Pick, but moving Chad just to swap 1st Round Draft Picks with the Dolphins and gain 8 spots doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

guttle11
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Trading Chad in order to move up 8 spots is absurd.

I'm not opposed to trading Chad, but do it for multiple picks. Like a 2nd and 3rd.

WMR
01-03-2008, 05:24 PM
HLman: Have you not seen extensive tape of Glenn Dorsey? Look up impact player in the dictionary and you'd see a picture of him.

Joseph
01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Trading Chad in order to move up 8 spots is absurd.

I'm not opposed to trading Chad, but do it for multiple picks. Like a 2nd and 3rd.

What about Chad and our first rounder for #1 and their 3rd rounder?

guttle11
01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
What about Chad and our first rounder for #1 and their 3rd rounder?

I don't see why that would make sense. Is Dorsey really THAT much better than a front 7 player the Bengals will be able to take at 9, and with the extra picks in rounds 2 and 3? I doubt it.

Trading Chad would signal a rebuilding process, which is what the team really needs. Gain as many picks as possible, add them with the young secondary, and guide them into being a good unit. After next year is when you start looking at FAs.

Of course, with Mike Brown in charge the FA market isn't an option, but I still think a rebuild is the way to go. I'd trade TJ too, if it lead to a couple more first day picks. If done correctly, a rebuild in the NFL can be done in a year, two tops.

I guess though, your deal could work if they took McFadden and traded TJ as well. Build a stud running game and a good defense, and Palmer could succeed with you and I at WR. That should be the last position the Bengals stockpile.

Joseph
01-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I threw that out because I read on some blog somewhere Chad could likely be had for a 3rd rounder.

Oxilon
01-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't see why that would make sense. Is Dorsey really THAT much better than a front 7 player the Bengals will be able to take at 9, and with the extra picks in rounds 2 and 3? I doubt it.

Trading Chad would signal a rebuilding process, which is what the team really needs. Gain as many picks as possible, add them with the young secondary, and guide them into being a good unit. After next year is when you start looking at FAs.

Of course, with Mike Brown in charge the FA market isn't an option, but I still think a rebuild is the way to go. I'd trade TJ too, if it lead to a couple more first day picks. If done correctly, a rebuild in the NFL can be done in a year, two tops.

I guess though, your deal could work if they took McFadden and traded TJ as well. Build a stud running game and a good defense, and Palmer could succeed with you and I at WR. That should be the last position the Bengals stockpile.

Wow, the Bengals should start to rebuilding? I know everybody is really down about the team right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Fact of the matter, we have an All Pro QB, two All Pro WRs and a very solid O-Line all about to enter the prime of their careers.

And yes, we have issues on defense, but fixing the front seven (where the issues lay) isn't as such a daunting task as everybody seems. We SHOULD get two starters for the front seven in this years draft and if we just sign a quality free agent at LB or DL, we'll see a drastic improvement, mark my words. All the Bengals need to do is shore up and retool, not rebuild.

Mario-Rijo
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow, the Bengals should start to rebuilding? I know everybody is really down about the team right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Fact of the matter, we have an All Pro QB, two All Pro WRs and a very solid O-Line all about to enter the prime of their careers.

And yes, we have issues on defense, but fixing the front seven (where the issues lay) isn't as such a daunting task as everybody seems. We SHOULD get two starters for the front seven in this years draft and if we just sign a quality free agent at LB or DL, we'll see a drastic improvement, mark my words. All the Bengals need to do is shore up and retool, not rebuild.

Spot on analysis Ox! It's what I think as well.

However we may need more than 1 DLman and 1 LB, but that's certainly the minimum IMO.

Justin Smith, Brian Robinson, Landon Johnson, Caleb Miller are all UFA's to be. I'm not so sure they re-sign any of them.

That Leaves a starting unit of:

Rucker/Fanene - Peko - Thornton - Geathers

Marshall - Brooks - Jeanty

Laurainitis and Gholston seem like the most likely candidates in that order with Ellis being the wildcard.

Danny Serafini
01-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I threw that out because I read on some blog somewhere Chad could likely be had for a 3rd rounder.

It amazes me how little NFL teams value current players as compared to draft picks. Randy Moss (he of the single season receiving TD record) was acquired for a 4th round pick this year. For comparison's sake, here are some recent Bengal 3rd round picks:

2007 - Marvin White
2006 - Frostee Rucker
2005 - Chris Henry
2004 - Caleb Miller
2004 - Landon Johnson
2003 - Kelley Washington
2002 - Matt Schobel
2001 - Sean Brewer
2000 - Ron Dugans

That isn't the most imposing list. In fact three of those guys were Chad Johnson's backups over the years. Yet I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd round pick is what they got. That's why it's such a terrible idea to trade him.

traderumor
01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
If folks are gonna rag on Mike Brown, quit using strawmen. The Bengals opted to pay some pretty hefty contracts to hold on to some core guys like Rudi, TJ, Willie, Levi, gave generous extensions to Chad and Palmer instead of bringing in pricey free agents that rarely provide value. Don't forget they almost had Sapp in a big contract before Oakland stepped in (thank you Raiders as it turned out). I think if there is a gotta have free agent, Marvin will get the money.

WVRed
01-03-2008, 09:18 PM
If folks are gonna rag on Mike Brown, quit using strawmen. The Bengals opted to pay some pretty hefty contracts to hold on to some core guys like Rudi, TJ, Willie, Levi, gave generous extensions to Chad and Palmer instead of bringing in pricey free agents that rarely provide value. Don't forget they almost had Sapp in a big contract before Oakland stepped in (thank you Raiders as it turned out). I think if there is a gotta have free agent, Marvin will get the money.

This could be the year for it, but its a matter of how much do you want to pay?

Albert Haynesworth, Terrell Suggs, and Lance Briggs, among others.

guttle11
01-03-2008, 09:39 PM

I hope you're right. I just don't see it.

Oxilon
01-03-2008, 09:44 PM
I can't see Haynesworth and Suggs not being resigned by their clubs. Infact, I'd go on record to say that there will only be a few worthwhile FAs actually on the market this offseason. Just goes to show you how vital the draft is how bad drafts really hurt you in the long haul (2005).

Bip Roberts
01-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Rex Ryan and bring along Suggs please and switch to the 3-4

Redhook
01-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Rex Ryan and bring along Suggs please and switch to the 3-4

Sadly, I'd be pretty happy with just one of those happening. All 3 would be great, but I doubt any happen.

Highlifeman21
01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
HLman: Have you not seen extensive tape of Glenn Dorsey? Look up impact player in the dictionary and you'd see a picture of him.

I've seen him, and I'll see more of him stop the Buckeyes' running game in the NC, and while I think he's the consensus best player available as of right now, I wouldn't list him as an impact player. I guess I've never thought of DTs as impact players.

I thought Tommie Harris was great in college and thought he'd have a good pro career, but I still wouldn't call him an impact player, and I think he's better than Glenn Dorsey.

HeatherC1212
01-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Wasn't Haynesworth all ready re-signed recently? I swear I read that somewhere.

bucksfan2
01-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Wouldn't Haynesworth be considered a bad character move? I think that would signify the bengals looking more towards winning than looking at high character guys.

traderumor
01-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I've seen him, and I'll see more of him stop the Buckeyes' running game in the NC, and while I think he's the consensus best player available as of right now, I wouldn't list him as an impact player. I guess I've never thought of DTs as impact players.

I thought Tommie Harris was great in college and thought he'd have a good pro career, but I still wouldn't call him an impact player, and I think he's better than Glenn Dorsey.Dorsey worries me that his body might not be up for his weight.

Bip Roberts
01-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Wasn't Haynesworth all ready re-signed recently? I swear I read that somewhere.

He is a free agent and hasnt been resigned but there is no way he isnt franchised unless they totally think hes worthless

Bip Roberts
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Sadly, I'd be pretty happy with just one of those happening. All 3 would be great, but I doubt any happen.
Of course we will be lucky if one of those 3 happens. We are talking about the bengals

Hoosier Red
01-04-2008, 07:17 PM

I thought Tommie Harris was great in college and thought he'd have a good pro career, but I still wouldn't call him an impact player, and I think he's better than Glenn Dorsey.

I agree, especially as rookies, a DT is rarely exemplary.
Draft a LB, sign a better lineman than Smith and go back to the playoffs.

I'm all for not re-signing any of the UFA's. Landon would be the only one I would think twice about, but he's from Purdue, and I hate having to cheer for Boilermakers, past or present.

cincrazy
01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
With the 9th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select University of Michigan running back Mike Hart!

Just a little Bengals humor..... I hope

Pollack is an unfortunate situation, so we'll never know his potential.

Jospeh and Hall are still works in progress, but an attempt to address a blatant need/deficiency.

Unfortunately my crystal ball for the Bengals' options with the 9th pick doesn't yield an impact player that will magically help this pathetic franchise. Conversely, I don't see any such unicorn in this coming draft, so all teams are in the same boat.

The best thing that could happen for the Bengals is for Mike Brown to cease to exist. I just blame him for all the Bengals' woes, as well as drafting Chris Perry. I don't know if that's fair or not, but at this point I could care less. Every year goes by and it just reinforces how horrible that pick truly was.

Degenerate39
01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Another mock draft:

1. Miami (1-15)
The Pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
The Buzz: Dorsey is a dominant inside force who will impress Bill Parcells on film.
2. St. Louis (3-13)
The Pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
The Buzz: The Rams defense needs a playmaker up front.
x - 3. Atlanta (4-12)
The Pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
The Buzz: The Falcons must rebuild their offense, and the start with the most important position.
x - 4. Oakland (4-12)
The Pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas*
The Buzz: The Raiders' Al Davis never passes on the chance for a superstar.
x - 5. Kansas City (4-12)
The Pick: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
The Buzz:The Chiefs are a total offensive disaster, and the quarterback spot is their highest priority.
6. N.Y. Jets (4-12)
The Pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
The Buzz: The Jets want to land a blue-chip offensive lineman, and Long is a fine bookend tackle.
7. New England (From San Francisco (5-11))
The Pick: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State*
The Buzz: The Pats are looking for an impact player to add to their aging linebacker unit.
8. Baltimore (5-11)
The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State*
The Buzz: The Ravens may draft into deep offensive tackle class this spring to replace Jonathan Ogden, who probably retires.
9. Cincinnati (7-9)
The Pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern Cal
The Buzz: The Bengals defense gives up too many big plays and needs a leader and anchor in the middle.
10. New Orleans (7-9)
The Pick: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State*
The Buzz: The Saints defense gets smoked weekly, and Jenkins looks like the No. 1 cornerback in this class.
11. Buffalo (7-9)
The Pick: Early Doucet, WR, LSU
The Buzz: The Bills wants more playmakers to help their young passers develop further.
12. Denver (7-9)
The Pick: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss*
The Buzz: The Broncos offensive line must improve for QB Jay Cutler to take the next step as an NFL starter.
13. Carolina (7-9)
The Pick: Keith Rivers, LB, USC
The Buzz: The Panthers linebacking corps would benefit from another strong defender.
14. Chicago (7-9)
The Pick: Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky
The Buzz: The Bears are hoping for a chance at a future offensive leader in the first round.
15. Detroit (7-9)
The Pick: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State*
The Buzz: The Lions must improve their outside pass rush to be a playoff contender.
16. Arizona (8-8)
The Pick: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
The Buzz: The Cardinals' defensive line must improve for this unit to move up to playoff level.
17. Minnesota (8-8)
The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami*
The Buzz:The Vikings are looking to continue to build a playoff caliber defense - especially in the secondary.
18. Houston (8-8)
The Pick: DeSean Jackson, WR, California *
The Buzz: The Texans are looking to add a young playmaker on the outside.
19. Philadelphia (8-8)
The Pick: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
The Buzz: The Eagles are looking to solidify their front seven on defense.
y - 20. Tampa Bay (9-7)
The Pick: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
The Buzz: The Bucs hope to return to defensive prominence, and the secondary needs help.
y - 21. Washington (9-7)
The Pick: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*
The Buzz: Joe Gibbs needs a big-time pass rusher for his front four.
22. Dallas (from Cleveland (10-6))
The Pick: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma*
The Buzz: The Cowboys need to address problems on the corner, and Smith is a highly regarded defensive back.
y - 23. Seattle (10-6)
The Pick: Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia*
The Buzz: The Seahawks are looking for an impact playmaker out of the backfield.
y - 24. Pittsburgh (10-6)
The Pick: Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State *
The Buzz: The Steelers plan to address their offensive line early in the draft.
y - 25. Tennessee (10-6)
The Pick: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan*
The Buzz: The Titans are lacking playmakers in the passing game.
y - 26. NY Giants (10-6)
The Pick: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas*
The Buzz: Big Blue defense needs a top-flight cover man opposite rookie Aaron Ross.
y - 27. San Diego (11-5)
The Pick: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU*
The Buzz: The Chargers are looking to fortify their front three, and this defender fills the role.
y - 28. Jacksonville (11-5)
The Pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
The Buzz: The Jaguars are looking to stretch the field with a blue-chip receiver.
y - 29. Green Bay (13-3)
The Pick: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech*
The Buzz: The Packers will look to improve their secondary early this April.
y - 30. Dallas (13-3)
The Pick: James Hardy, WR, Indiana*
The Buzz:The Cowboys' passing game needs another playmaker to continue to rank among the elite.
y - 31. San Francisco (From Indianapolis (13-3))
The Pick: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois*
The Buzz: The 49ers offense needs another playmaker, and Mendenhall is a fast-rising prospect.
y - 32. New England (16-0)
The Pick: no pick
The Buzz: Pick forfeited.

cincrazy
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
It's not just a matter of improving the talent on this Bengals team, it's a matter of improving the culture, and the character, of that locker room. And that, my friend, is easier said than done.

I have no confidence whatsoever in this ownership to turn things around. Sooner or later, with no GM, and virtually no scouts, Marvin Lewis is going to jump ship and flee to a place where he can succeed.

Buckeye33
01-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Man, 4 underclass Buckeyes in the 1st round in that mock. I'm sure glad Tressel has this program reloading every year. Last year OSU lost Ginn, Gonzalez, and Pittman early and look to lose 4 more juniors this year.

As far as the Bengals go, I'd be happy with Ellis or Gholston. If by some miracle the Bengals could sign Haynesworth, they could draft Gholston and switch to a 3-4 with Peko and Haynesworth in the middle and Gholston and Geathers playing between DE and OLB.