PDA

View Full Version : I have just declared myself the new GM...

Bigredfan#1
01-01-2008, 03:27 PM
what do I do to start the new year out right?

1. I revisit the Bedard trade, I offer Votto and Cueto and another prospect but not Bailey or Bruce. I stick to my guns because they have over priced him and they know it. I also demand a window to sign him to a LTC which I get done.

2. Now I sign Estrada to be my starting Catcher. I trade Ross for a prospect.

3. I sign Dunn to a LTC.

4. I sign Ensberg to play 1B and use Hatteburg as a PHer.

That would get us ready for the season.

Rotation of
Harang
Bedard
Arroyo
Belisle
Bailey or Volquez

Cordero Cl
Weathers
Burton
Bray
Volquez if not SP
Coffey (on a short string)
Livingston

Starting Lineup
Bruce CF
Estrada C
Phiilips 2B
Griffey RF
Dunn LF
EE 3B
Ensberg 1B (sure hate to lose Votto but worth the sacrifice)
Gonzo SS

Bench
Keppinger INF
Valentin C
Hatteburg 1B
Hopper OF
Freel OF-INF

I would give Freel a shot at 2B and consideer moving Philips to SS if Freel could beat out Gonzo. That would give us a true leadoff hitter! Hopper could spell all 3 OFs!

JMHO

NorrisHopper30
01-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Why are some so quick to get rid of Ross. He's spectacular behind the plate, great arm, pitchers love him, and has some pop in his bat. I'd much rather have Ross than Estrada.

Ensberg to play 1b? Doesn't he play 3b? Hatteberg hits much better even though he is a lefty, + Ensberg did terrible last year..although he would do better at GABP.

Bigredfan#1
01-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Just adding a RH bat and hoping GABP brings back the power he lost. I want Estrada's average in the lineup.

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2008, 04:10 PM
well,

I would just have to say that you can't justify moving Phillips to SS because that would sacrifice his fielding, and our defense would be even worse. The idea gets really stupid when you think about playing Freel over Gonzalez, when Gonzalez was the better hitter last year. Second, David Ross's 2007 WARP was 3.2, while Estrada's was 1.5 in more than 100 more abouts. It's simple: Ross isn't that bad, and is much better than Estrada. Estrada is terrible defensively. When you consider Ross should bounce back some, it's not even close...

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
can't bat phillips 3rd either, he makes too many outs. i agree with you that Ensberg/Hatteberg (wow thats "bergy", couldn't resist) could be a nice little platoon...

tomd63
01-01-2008, 04:34 PM
well,

I would just have to say that you can't justify moving Phillips to SS because that would sacrifice his fielding, and our defense would be even worse. The idea gets really stupid when you think about playing Freel over Gonzalez, when Gonzalez was the better hitter last year.

I've never understood what we would sacrifice in Phillip's fielding by moving him back to SS. He's played more of his professional career at SS than he has at 2B (5.5 yrs. vs 3.5 yrs.) and showed interest in moving back to his original position late in 2006 before they picked up Gonzalez. I've never heard that he was moved to second because of fielding deficiencies or lack of tools to play the position. I've always assumed it was because he had others in front of him, Vizquel and Peralta in Cleveland, and then the Reds had Lopez coming off his great season here, and then they picked up Gonzalez.

Gonzalez did not do much to impress me at SS last season, and I believe that anyone who thinks that he will continue to hit like he did last year, a career best season for him, will more than likely be disappointed very soon. I like the idea of moving Phillips back to SS, trying to find a deal to improve elsewhere by dealing Gonzalez and his 4M/yr contract, and trying Keppinger out at 2B fulltime. I think the offensive gain of Keppinger over Gonzalez would exceed the defensive dropoff, if any.

01-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Defense up the middle is almost more essential to winning than good pitching. You never, ever, ever, want to downgrade your defense for any reason.

A good batter will get a hit once every six games more than a bad one, but a good fielding SS or 2B will make a good play more than a bad one, almost every game.

01-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Also, if I had just declared myself the Reds new GM, I wouldn't post it on any Reds forum. Wayne Krivsky might find out about it and get mad.

jmac
01-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I like the idea of signing Ensberg as rh bat off the bench and play some first on occasionally. I am really not sure how Dusty will handle the first base spot with Votto/Hatt and when a lefty pitches.
And I am not a big Ross fan either.

Bigredfan#1
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Also, if I had just declared myself the Reds new GM, I wouldn't post it on any Reds forum. Wayne Krivsky might find out about it and get mad.

WK will just have to get over it, ha!

Bigredfan#1
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I like the idea of signing Ensberg as rh bat off the bench and play some first on occasionally. I am really not sure how Dusty will handle the first base spot with Votto/Hatt and when a lefty pitches.
And I am not a big Ross fan either.

Of course if we keep Votto I hope he starts at 1B, I think he will be the real deal.

jmac
01-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Of course if we keep Votto I hope he starts at 1B, I think he will be the real deal.

I have been a big Votto fan and agree he can be the real deal.
Just saying I am not sure if Dusty will declare it open competition between him and Hatt or if starts Votto, what he will do when we face our first lefty.
Most may not agree but if it was Hamilton/Votto in a trade, I was hoping it would be Hamilton.

AmarilloRed
01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
1. If that will land Bedard I would be for it. I expect the Orioles will hold out for 3 top prospects however.

2. I considered signing Estrada, but I hear he plays bad defense and is bad at throwing runners out.

3. Get the LTC done already.

4. Morgan Ensberg is not the player he was 2 years ago.

jmac
01-01-2008, 07:00 PM
4. Morgan Ensberg is not the player he was 2 years ago.

That is exactly why the reds could sign him. Not to start but maybe add a little rh bat with some pop off bench.

Bottom of 9th , score tied at 4 and runners at first and second, two outs.
In the on deck circle preparing to come to plate to PH is Juan Castro....No wait...that is ensberg with a bat as Dusty calls Castro back in.

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I've never understood what we would sacrifice in Phillip's fielding by moving him back to SS. He's played more of his professional career at SS than he has at 2B (5.5 yrs. vs 3.5 yrs.) and showed interest in moving back to his original position late in 2006 before they picked up Gonzalez. I've never heard that he was moved to second because of fielding deficiencies or lack of tools to play the position. I've always assumed it was because he had others in front of him, Vizquel and Peralta in Cleveland, and then the Reds had Lopez coming off his great season here, and then they picked up Gonzalez.

Gonzalez did not do much to impress me at SS last season, and I believe that anyone who thinks that he will continue to hit like he did last year, a career best season for him, will more than likely be disappointed very soon. I like the idea of moving Phillips back to SS, trying to find a deal to improve elsewhere by dealing Gonzalez and his 4M/yr contract, and trying Keppinger out at 2B fulltime. I think the offensive gain of Keppinger over Gonzalez would exceed the defensive dropoff, if any.

shortstop is a more challenging defensive position, and therefore phillips would not be as far above average defensively playing SS over 2B. As for Gonzalez declining defensively and offensively, which would you rather have: Phillips at SS and Freel at 2B or Gonzalez at SS and Phillips at 2B?

AmarilloRed
01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Okay, I will take a stab at it. What would I do if I were the Reds GM?

1.. Sign a starter in free agency to a 1 year deal.This will allow both Bailey and Cueto to start at AAA. Bailey needs to work on building his innings and working on his off-speed stuff, and Cueto needs some more experience in AAA.

2. Sign Adam Dunn to a LTC

3. Find a quality RH bat for the bench.

Sidd Finch
01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Count me among the fans who expect Gonzalez to not only hit as well as he did last year, but better.

He has shown pop before, as in 03/04 with Florida when got over 500 AB, and averaged 20 homers and 75+ RBI over the two year period.

I think it is reasonable to expect him to increase his offensive ouput over last season.

BLEEDS
01-02-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm the Reds Owner.

I just fired you.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bigredfan#1
01-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm the Reds Owner.

I just fired you.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I guess I am looking for job, I didn't even get to start the season.

Bip Roberts
01-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Good fit in Baltimore probably

durl
01-02-2008, 10:46 AM

Tough crowd, huh? It's not easy being a GM. :)

BLEEDS
01-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Hehehe!! Thanks for taking it in stride, a lot of people don't have as thick of skin 'round here!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bigredfan#1
01-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Hehehe!! Thanks for taking it in stride, a lot of people don't have as thick of skin 'round here!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Have to leave graciously, love the Reds and would want to be hired later if your next hire does not work out.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Have to leave graciously, love the Reds and would want to be hired later if your next hire does not work out.

always good to play the politician :D

XU Lou
01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm the Reds Owner.

I just fired you.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Excuse me, does that mean there is an opening? I look good in leather.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Baltimore is asking more than I want to trade them (If I'm the Reds GM). Consequently, I go after innings eater Livan Hernandez and he agrees to a two year contract with a mutual option for the third year.

Next- I keep my Big 5 (which now includes Volquez). I believe as GM that Bruce and Votto are more likely to be all-stars sooner than Bailey, Cueto or Volquez will, but ultimately my young pitchers account themselves quite well, with each one winning from 10-16 wins in 2008. Therefore I keep my young guys and pass on Bedard in the '09 season too. I sign Mike Cameron now and have Griffey's replacement in house, with either Cameron or Bruce in RF in 2009. I'll talk money to FA Bedard after the 2009 World series and ask Eric Bedard, point blank, if he wants to join us in (not at)the 2010 World Series. He agrees. We sign EB for 4 years at an average of 16 million per year. Now for 2010, I still have my homegrown boys and an impressive starting staff.

Dusty Baker's claim that players want to join him in Cincinnati is paying off. Noah Lowry comes to the Reds as a free agent.

One further thing, I as pretend GM have spoken (in my dreams) to Bob Castellini and he has allowed me to buy out the contracts of Stanton & Castro IF I can't trade them b/4 spring training. Too bad Sean Casey doen't hit right-handed. He would be on my bench in a minute if he could backing, up Joey Votto.

OBTW- Adam Dunn signs long term with the Reds with 1 million increases from his current salary for the next 5 years.

This is my dream GM job/scenario. Thank Goodness for the young guys limited pay(roll). It offsets the long term extensions and FA signings not to mention excising the contracts of Stanton and Castro.... Look out Coffey. You might be next. Have at it, Gentlemen!!! Tell me what you think. Thanks!!! It's OK, I have thick skin. Dish it out!!! LOL!!!

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Baltimore is asking more than I want to trade them (If I'm the Reds GM). Consequently, I go after innings eater Livan Hernandez and he agrees to a two year contract with a mutual option for the third year.

Next- I keep my Big 5 (which now includes Volquez). I believe as GM that Bruce and Votto are more likely to be all-stars sooner than Bailey, Cueto or Volquez will, but ultimately my young pitchers account themselves quite well, with each one winning from 10-16 wins in 2008. Therefore I keep my young guys and pass on Bedard in the '09 season too. I sign Mike Cameron now and have Griffey's replacement in house, with either Cameron or Bruce in RF in 2009. I'll talk money to FA Bedard after the 2009 World series and ask Eric Bedard, point blank, if he wants to join us in (not at)the 2010 World Series. He agrees. We sign EB for 4 years at an average of 16 million per year. Now for 2010, I still have my homegrown boys and an impressive starting staff.

Dusty Baker's claim that players want to join him in Cincinnati is paying off. Noah Lowry comes to the Reds as a free agent.

One further thing, I as pretend GM have spoken (in my dreams) to Bob Castellini and he has allowed me to buy out the contracts of Stanton & Castro IF I can't trade them b/4 spring training. Too bad Sean Casey doen't hit right-handed. He would be on my bench in a minute if he could backing, up Joey Votto.

OBTW- Adam Dunn signs long term with the Reds with 1 million increases from his current salary for the next 5 years.

This is my dream GM job/scenario. Thank Goodness for the young guys limited pay(roll). It offsets the long term extensions and FA signings not to mention excising the contracts of Stanton and Castro.... Look out Coffey. You might be next. Have at it, Gentlemen!!! Tell me what you think. Thanks!!! It's OK, I have thick skin. Dish it out!!! LOL!!!

good for the most part but Bedard and Dunn will cost more than what you estimate...

Vada Pinson Fan
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
baseclogg- No doubt, but I'll reason with them....I have my ways!!! LOL!!!!

Bigredfan#1
01-02-2008, 11:29 PM
baseclogg- No doubt, but I'll reason with them....I have my ways!!! LOL!!!!

You probably won't last on this job either. I will see you in the unemployment line.

AmarilloRed
01-03-2008, 01:16 AM

Mlbtraderumors suggests that Dunn will go for 5 years, 18 million a year. I expect Stanton will have to be traded. If we release Stanton and another team gives him those appearances, we will have to pay for the option year, therefore he will stay on the Reds in 2008 unless he is traded. I support signing Livan, the FA deal with Bedard, and keeping our young prospects. I am not sure about signing Noah Lowry.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Which Reds? The Cincinnati Reds, or the Washington Reds? l:thumbup: :D