PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Bresnahan Fired

WVRed
01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
According to Rotoworld, i'll pull up a link when I find it.

Oxilon
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Rex Ryan was let go with Brian Billick. You think he'll get an interview with Marvin?

Buckeye33
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Biggest no brainer ever.

Now lets hope Brat isn't far behind and honestly I wouldn't care if Lewis joined both of them. Neither of these are likely to happen so I guess Bengals fans will have to hope they pick a worthy D cordinator.

I also try to get 2 draft picks for Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson. If those 2 can net you a 2nd and a 3rd round pick this upcoming draft could go a long way to shaping the next 3 years.

Go with a Watson, Irons, Dorsey backfield with the outside chance Chris Perry could contribute something. Then go with Housh and Henry as your #1 and #2 and sign or trade for a veteran WR (Javon Walker wants out of Denver?)

Let Justin Smith walk, and attempt like hell to sign Haynesworth, Suggs, or Samuel to anchor the D and then take all those draft picks and get DL, LB, DL, OL, TE.

Matt700wlw
01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Still on the Pro Football Talk rumormill, but wouldn't shock me if it's no longer a rumor soon

Hoosier Red
01-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Would Marvin hire Billick to be OC and Ryan to be DC?

TC81190
01-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Biggest no brainer ever.

Now lets hope Brat isn't far behind and honestly I wouldn't care if Lewis joined both of them. Neither of these are likely to happen so I guess Bengals fans will have to hope they pick a worthy D cordinator.

I also try to get 2 draft picks for Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson. If those 2 can net you a 2nd and a 3rd round pick this upcoming draft could go a long way to shaping the next 3 years.

Go with a Watson, Irons, Dorsey backfield with the outside chance Chris Perry could contribute something. Then go with Housh and Henry as your #1 and #2 and sign or trade for a veteran WR (Javon Walker wants out of Denver?)

Let Justin Smith walk, and attempt like hell to sign Haynesworth, Suggs, or Samuel to anchor the D and then take all those draft picks and get DL, LB, DL, OL, TE.

Not sure why you would want to trade Chad, but yeah, I'd dump Rudi, too.

CTA513
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Biggest no brainer ever.

Henry hasn't proven he can stay out of trouble and Walker has missed 23 games over the past 3 seasons.

guttle11
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I'll miss the way he always looked completely lost when the camera caught a glimpse of him on the sideline.

Cyclone792
01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Bresnahan gone?

Looks like I'll be busting open a beer in celebration tonight!

Buckeye33
01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Not sure why you would want to trade Chad, but yeah, I'd dump Rudi, too.

I really like Chad as a WR. He is a legit #1 WR as long as he is happy. The instant anything doesn't go his way then he becomes an average player.

I also believe he, and probably just as much, Housh are the guys people have been refering to when they have been quoting talking about guys just wanting to get their catches and yards. He is very me 1st and I think that effects a football team a lot.

I looked into it a little more and Chad will be nearly impossible to trade because of the cap hit the Bengals would take because of all the bonus money he's been given.

I really think it's time to "blow it all up" like Lewis said. Now it's just a matter of actually doing it. Step #1 is done.

Buckeye33
01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Henry hasn't proven he can stay out of trouble and Walker has missed 23 games over the past 3 seasons.

I agree that you'd be taking a chance relying on Henry. I'd love to be able to only rely on him being the #3 receiver, but with Chad and Housh on the team as well that is where any talent would have to be traded to get anything worthwhile. I'd have to look into what other veteran WR will be out there.

As I posted in another reply though, Chad's cap hit if traded would be extreme and make it pretty much undoable.

Bip Roberts
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Great news im tired of watching fat gary busey running out d

TC81190
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I really like Chad as a WR. He is a legit #1 WR as long as he is happy. The instant anything doesn't go his way then he becomes an average player.

I also believe he, and probably just as much, Housh are the guys people have been refering to when they have been quoting talking about guys just wanting to get their catches and yards. He is very me 1st and I think that effects a football team a lot.

I looked into it a little more and Chad will be nearly impossible to trade because of the cap hit the Bengals would take because of all the bonus money he's been given.

I really think it's time to "blow it all up" like Lewis said. Now it's just a matter of actually doing it. Step #1 is done.

True, but Chad wasn't a problem in '05 when they were winning. Winning cures everything, and I think once they field a competent defense and hanging some W's, Chad will be content.

LawFive
01-02-2008, 06:19 PM
not to bust anyone's bubble, but I'd think if legit it would have hit a local source by now...nothing on Curnutte's blog, Enquirer, WCPO, etc.

CrackerJack
01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
It was mentioned on ESPN not too long ago, probably legit. Marvin and the Bengals org don't have the cajones to just come out and announce it like the Ravens did apparently - instead they quietly sneak it out so no one's feeling are hurt.

I suppose another lame duck like Donnie Henderson will take his place.

Cheap, jobless, desperate = ideal target for the Bengals

CTA513
01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
From Bengals.com:

Report: Bresnahan, Hunley out
By GEOFF HOBSON
January 2, 2008

6:20 p.m.

For the third time under Marvin Lewis the Bengals appear to be looking for a defensive coordinator with one of the candidates possibly former Jets and Lions coordinator Donnie Henderson.

ESPN reported Wednesday that the Bengals let go Chuck Bresnahan and linebackers coach Ricky Hunley. Bresnahan, 47, led the defense to finishes of 28, 30, and 27 in the NFL rankings the past three seasons.

The Bengals, through public relations director Jack Brennan, won't confirm the reports. He did say the club could have an announcement on coaches as early as Thursday.

In the first year Bresnahan replaced Leslie Frazier, the defense helped fuel the run to the 2005 AFC North title with a league-leading 44 turnovers. The 74 they forced in '05 and '06 were second only to the Bears.

But a devastating set of circumstances at linebacker this season doomed the defense as soon as training camp opened. David Pollack, the team's No. 1 pick in 2005, sat out '07 with a broken neck. Middle linebacker Odell Thurman was denied reinstatement from a drug suspension. And four others went on season-ending reserve after playing a total of eight games.

TC81190
01-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I suppose another lame duck like Donnie Henderson will take his place.

:laugh:

For the third time under Marvin Lewis the Bengals appear to be looking for a defensive coordinator with one of the candidates possibly former Jets and Lions coordinator Donnie Henderson.

Sea Ray
01-02-2008, 07:19 PM

I think we can all agree that Chad was not a happy player this year, yet he set a new franchise record for receiving yards.

I'll take Chad whether he's happy or not...

Allegro
01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Strangely-worded cryptic announcement on Bengals.com....

http://www.bengals.com/

WMR
01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Bresnahan gone?

Looks like I'll be busting open a beer in celebration tonight!

ME TOO BUDDY!! :D :D :D

Bottoms up!! :beerme:

Yachtzee
01-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Great news im tired of watching fat gary busey running out d

I always thought he looked more like a middle-aged Bam Bam, constantly scanning the crowd to see if his estranged wife Pebbles decided to use the tickets he left her at will call.

WMR
01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I always thought he looked more like a middle-aged Bam Bam, constantly scanning the crowd to see if his estranged wife Pebbles decided to use the tickets he left her at will call.

:laugh:

WMR
01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
He certainly constructed a defense like he was a member of a modern stone-age familyyyyy.

GoReds33
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I hope we can get somebody good to replace him. I don't expect much though. Why not let Marvin take over the defensive play calls?

How about Jim Mora Jr?

WVRed
01-03-2008, 08:44 AM
If Henderson takes over as defensive coordinator, they might as well have just kept Bresnahan.

During the year the Jets made the playoff run under Herm Edwards, Henderson was the defensive coordinator. They were second against the pass, but 30th against the run. Sound familiar?

Only advantage I see is Henderson is good for if they want to run a Cover 2 defense, while Marvin's specialty has always been 3-4.

Another name being thrown out today by the Enquirer is Tim Lewis, former Steeler and Giants coordinator.

HotCorner
01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Only advantage I see is Henderson is good for if they want to run a Cover 2 defense, while Marvin's specialty has always been 3-4.

Henderson is not a Cover 2 guy. He was let go in Detroit because Marinelli uses the "Tampa 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2)" scheme and Henderson did not.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6577

Henderson, 50, was the Jets defensive coordinator in 2004 and '05 before moving to the Lions for a year in 2006. Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said when he let Henderson go after a 3-13 season that it was more about systems and Henderson didn't have any background in the Tampa 2 that Marinelli brought to Detroit.

OesterPoster
01-03-2008, 10:30 AM
while Marvin's specialty has always been 3-4.

Marvin's specialty has always been the 4-3.

Benihana
01-03-2008, 10:40 AM
It's about time they fired Bresnahan, he was one of the worst defensive coordinators ever. I wouldn't mind seeing Rex Ryan as the D-coordinator. Hopefully Bratkowski will be the next to go.

I would desperately try to trade Rudi this offseason for whatever they could get (I'd be ecstatic with a 3rd round pick), because otherwise I would cut him June 1. Go into the year with Watson, Perry, Irons and Dorsey and see who emerges in training camp.

I would keep Chad, because you'll never be able to get any kind of equivalent value for him. As Parcells said in Miami, while we do need to shake things up, I think we should try to keep the good players.

I would let Deltha walk in free agency, and re-sign Madieu only if he'll take a hometown discount. Otherwise start the year with the all young secondary of Hall, Joseph, Ndukwe and Marvin White. Sure there will be some growing pains, but I think they could be a solid group for years to come.

Finally, I would let Justin Smith walk, and I would try desperately to sign either Albert Haynseworth or Terrell Suggs. If they can sign the former, I would target a DE/LB in the draft (Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, James Laurinaitis, or Keith Rivers). If they could sign the latter (which I would prefer), I'd love to draft Sedrick Ellis.

I would also love to get a shot at Fred Davis, the TE from USC in the second round. He would help open up the offense and stop the constipation.

Sea Ray
01-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Marvin's specialty has always been the 4-3.

I think he ran a 3-4 in Pittsburgh and Baltimore before being hired here.

I would let Delthea walk in free agency, and re-sign Madieu only if he'll take a hometown discount.

Deltha is signed through next year. I'd keep him but I think Marvin has had enough of him. I think he was exhibit A when Marvin spoke of players more concerned with contracts than wins

OesterPoster
01-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I think he ran a 3-4 in Pittsburgh and Baltimore before being hired here.

Baltimore was a 4-3 when Marvin was there. They switched to a 3-4 sometime after he left.

OesterPoster
01-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I'd love to trade Rudi too, but anyone who gives up anything for him is nuts. All the other teams know the Bengals will most probably cut him on June 1st anyway, so they can have him for free if they wait.

Benihana
01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Ugh, looks like Bratkowski (and everyone else) is returning according to bengals.com

Matt700wlw
01-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Rest of coaches in fold

By GEOFF HOBSON

January 2, 2008

Updated: 1-3-08, 2 p.m.

The Bengals said Thursday in the wake of Wednesday's moves that their remaining coaches are in place, working, and under contract for the 2008 season.

Some could leave for better jobs, but it looks like Bengals defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan and linebackers coach Ricky Hunley are the only assistants that won't return.

Also Thursday there are indications from Carolina that the Bengals have not asked the Panthers for permission to talk to secondary coach Tim Lewis, a possible candidate for coordinator. For the third time under head coach Marvin Lewis the Bengals are looking for a defensive coordinator with another of the candidates possibly former Jets and Lions coordinator Donnie Henderson.

The Bengals released a statement Wednesday night from Lewis announcing that Bresnahan and Hunley won't return in 2008.

"These are very difficult decisions that affect the lives of coaches and their families," Lewis said in the release. "But after meeting with all our coaches, I determined that it was necessary to make these changes. Both Chuck and Ricky worked extremely hard this past year, and I wish them and their families the best as they move on in their careers."

The Bengals' release confirmed reports that hit ProFootballTalk.com and ESPN earlier Wednesday.

Bresnahan, 47, led the defense to finishes of 28, 30, and 27 in the NFL rankings the past three seasons. In the first year Bresnahan replaced Leslie Frazier, the defense helped fuel the run to the 2005 AFC North title with a league-leading 44 turnovers. The 74 they forced in '05 and '06 were second only to the Bears.

But a devastating set of circumstances at linebacker this season doomed the defense as soon as training camp opened. David Pollack, the team's No. 1 pick in 2005, sat out '07 with a broken neck. Middle linebacker Odell Thurman was denied reinstatement from a drug suspension. And four others went on season-ending injured reserve after playing a total of eight games.

Hunley, 46, bore the brunt of the injuries. Free-agent middle linebacker Nate Webster ended up playing just three games for the Bengals before blowing out the patella tendon in his kneecap in the '04 season.

While Webster surfaced in Denver this past year, Hunley was working with the eighth different starting middle linebacker of his five Bengals seasons in Anthony Schlegel, a second-year player picked up on waivers from the Jets just before the season. Thurman, Webster, Kevin Hardy, Landon Johnson, Brian Simmons, Caleb Miller and Ahmad Brooks were the others.

Still, the defense closed with a strong second half this season. In the last eight games the Bengals gave up an average of 300 yards per game, 93 on the ground and 17.6 points compared to 397, 133 and 27.3, respectively, in the first eight games.

The popular, outgoing Hunley, one of Lewis' first hires, proved you can go home again even if you were never there to begin with. The Bengals took him with the seventh pick in the 1984 draft, but he never reported and the contract dispute led to his trade to the Broncos in one of Bengals president Mike Brown's more famous negotiations.

After playing linebacker for three teams during seven NFL seasons, Hunley embarked on a coaching career that overlapped with Lewis in the early '90s when Lewis was the linebackers coach in Pittsburgh and Hunley was an intern in the NFL's minority coaching program.

It seemed to be fate that he would finally sign with Brown when Lewis took him from the Redskins staff they both served in 2002.

"I've got no bitterness toward Marvin. He remains a friend. He was good to me while I was there," Hunley said. "I've got the deepest gratitude and appreciation for the entire Brown family. They're great people to work for. Mike brought me back. I don't care what people say about him. He's a very fine man, a loyal employer, and great to his people."

Bresnahan, who couldn't be reached for comment, took the job a season after he joined the club as a defensive assistant under Frazier in 2004. Henderson, who coached Lewis' linebackers when the Ravens won the 2000 Super Bowl, arrived at training camp as a consultant and observer and already has knowledge of the Bengals personnel.

Henderson, 50, was the Jets defensive coordinator in 2004 and '05 before moving to the Lions for a year in 2006. Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said when he let Henderson go after a 3-13 season that it was more about systems and Henderson didn't have any background in the Tampa 2 that Marinelli brought to Detroit.

Henderson's first NFL game as a coordinator came against the Bengals' Carson Palmer in his first NFL start and the Jets won that one, 31-24, with Palmer throwing a late interception at The Meadowlands. The Jets went on to finish seventh in defense in the league for 10-6 team that won a playoff game in overtime and lost one in overtime. In '05 the defense finished 12th, but the Jets went 4-12 and head coach Herm Edwards moved on to Kansas City.

Other potential candidates with Lewis ties are former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and former Steelers and Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis. Ryan is up for the head job in Baltimore and possibly Atlanta. An inside candidate could be secondary coach Kevin Coyle, a coordinator at Holy Cross, Syracuse and Fresno State for 15 seasons before joining the Bengals in 2001.

Tim Lewis, 46, a former cornerback with the Packers, broke into NFL coaching on the Steelers' Super Bowl staff in which Marvin Lewis coached the linebackers in 1995. During his four seasons as the Steelers defensive coordinator from 2000-2003, Pittsburgh finished in the top 10 all four years and led the NFL in 2001.

He moved to the Giants in 2004, where he developed the Pro Bowl pass rush combo of Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyioro and oversaw 15 consecutive scoreless quarters in 2005. But with head coach Tom Coughlin taking heat, some say Lewis took the fall for the '06 late-season collapse.

Lewis moved to Carolina to coach the secondary this past season and despite the sudden retirement of safety Mike Minter, the Panthers finished 17th against the pass on a defense that finished 16th,

Hunley, a Petersburg, Va., native recently named to the Virginia Hall of Fame, served in an executive position in the NFL Players Association and on the board of the Black Coaches Association. "College or pro, wherever the next chance is," said Hunley, who spent 10 years in the college game before joining the Redskins. "When we got fired at Missouri with Larry Smith (in 2000) I got a great book. 'Who Moved My Cheese?' This cheese is gone. I'm moving on to find another one."

WebScorpion
01-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I would love to see a young defense coached by Tim Lewis! :thumbup:

Matt700wlw
01-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Falcon's DC, Mike Zimmer interviews today

Friday, January 04, 2008
Bengals to interview Zimmer

A new candidate has emerged to replace Chuck Bresnahan as Bengals defensive coordinator.

Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will interview today with the Bengals. Zimmer is still under contract with the Falcons, but was given permission by the team to pursue other opportunities. The Falcons are in the process of interviewing for a new head coach.

Zimmer previously was defensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys.

-Curnutte's blog