PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Andy Phillips, claim outfielder Jeff Fiorentino off waivers

Degenerate39
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Reds sign IF Phillips

January 4, 2008
CINCINNATI (Ticker) - The Cincinnati Reds on Friday signed infielder Andy Phillips to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Phillips hit .292 with two home runs and 25 RBI in 61 games last season while part of the New York Yankees' platoon at first base, but he failed to earn regular starts. Phillips also appeared at second and third base.

Phillips has a career batting average of .253 with 11 home runs and 60 RBI in 203 career games, all with the Yankees between 2004 and 2007.

Also Friday, the Reds claimed outfielder Jeff Fiorentino off waivers from Baltimore, and signed righthander Jim Brower, infielders Jolbert Cabrera and Andy Green, and lefthander Adam Pettyjohn to minor league deals with invitations to spring training.

Bip Roberts
01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
interesting couple of moves, not exciting but surely kinda interesting

01-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I really like the Phillip's signing. He could be a nice RH bat off the bench, and can provide some nice defense. He could also be a late inning defensive replacement for Votto. If he makes the team, it could mean the end of Castro's playing career.

The other guys seem like the usual non roster invitees. A has been (Brower), two veteran minor leaguers who were once highly thought of (Cabrera and Pettyjohn), and an all glove, not hit infielder.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
The ordinary "take a chance" kind of moves. These kinds of moves have a low risk / good return opportunity. Besides that, the last guy Krivsky brought on board named Phillips turned out rather well!!! :) Curious to see if Brower has anything to offer; bullpen wise.

I'm still hoping to see an announcement of Bartolo Colon or Livan Hernandez signing by the Reds any day now. No info, just hoping. Same with a Reds signing of Mike Cameron. I hope it will happen. We can definitely use two of the just named three this season.

Here's Andy Phillips' player profile:
http://www.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=425429

mlbfan30
01-05-2008, 12:18 AM
The part that doesn't make sense is why they would pick up Phillips as a "right handed hitter off the bench" It's just a minor league deal, but it still is a waste of money.

His lifetime line against LHP is
.217 / .255 / .289 / .544
Isn't it great to have a .544 OPS coming off the bench? Castro's .586 OPS is a better option.

Not only are his numbers pathetic, but he's a 1B. He hits worse than one of the worst hitting shortstops in baseball, and it's at the position that requires the most hitting value.
It's not like he's young and has a chance to breakout since he's 31.

The Marlins got Cantu in a minor league deal, while the Reds just let him walk. It's fine releasing him, (which I didn't like), but if you can get him back for a minor league deal, do it. You don't get an inferior player for the same cost just so you don't have to admit to making a mistake. What's worse is thinking he's a "Right handed bat" when he hits right handed pitching much better (.741 OPS).

Newman4
01-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Hey, could be worse....they could've signed STEVE Phillips.

mlbfan30
01-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Steve Phillips would have been a much better signing

Bip Roberts
01-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Steve Phillips would have been a much better signing

Funniest post ever

mlbfan30
01-05-2008, 01:04 AM
He Would. Just give him a title to make him think he's important so then he's off ESPN

Bip Roberts
01-05-2008, 01:15 AM
He Would. Just give him a title to make him think he's important so then he's off ESPN

I see what you did there

01-05-2008, 01:45 AM
The part that doesn't make sense is why they would pick up Phillips as a "right handed hitter off the bench" It's just a minor league deal, but it still is a waste of money.

His lifetime line against LHP is
.217 / .255 / .289 / .544
Isn't it great to have a .544 OPS coming off the bench? Castro's .586 OPS is a better option.

Not only are his numbers pathetic, but he's a 1B. He hits worse than one of the worst hitting shortstops in baseball, and it's at the position that requires the most hitting value.
It's not like he's young and has a chance to breakout since he's 31.

The Marlins got Cantu in a minor league deal, while the Reds just let him walk. It's fine releasing him, (which I didn't like), but if you can get him back for a minor league deal, do it. You don't get an inferior player for the same cost just so you don't have to admit to making a mistake. What's worse is thinking he's a "Right handed bat" when he hits right handed pitching much better (.741 OPS).

Agree that I would rather have Cantu, but Cantu was due around $2-3M in arbitration this year. That is why the Reds let him go. I think he was worth it but it is not my money. The Reds could not sign him until May 1.

Yeah, Phillips stats as a Yankee are not impressive, but he put up very impressive power numbers in the minors, especially against lefties. He was known as a lefty killer in the minors. He hit .434 against lefties in the first half of 2005 and close to half of his hits against lefties were for extra bases. Here is an article about him.

http://yankees.scout.com/2/412443.html

Hard to explain why he was so bad against lefties in the majors, but it might have to do with not seeing that many. Only 152 AB's in four years. He also just could be a AAAA hitter.

He also is not a first baseman by trade. He was drafted as a SS, but has played mostly 2B and 3B in the minors. Was considered a top Yankee prospect for years, but never reached his potential. Was very popular with fans and teammates. Everyone loved his attitude and defense. He also was known as a clubhouse leader and a great fielder.

Considering it was a minor league deal, it was a good signing.

mlbfan30
01-05-2008, 02:05 AM
That May 1st Rule doesn't exist anymore. It was changed last year

01-05-2008, 02:28 AM
That May 1st Rule doesn't exist anymore. It was changed last year

Then not resigning Cantu makes no sense. I don't care how bad his defense is. No reason not to sign him to the same contract that the Marlins did.

Blue
01-05-2008, 03:34 AM

You know you love the mock GM press conferences.

We all do.

Newman4
01-05-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm still holding out for Kevin Mench for the designated RH bat.

tomd63
01-05-2008, 01:18 PM

I'd pick up Jason Lane instead. Cheaper, better defense, and should provide about the same offense next season.

Newman4
01-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd pick up Jason Lane instead. Cheaper, better defense, and should provide about the same offense next season.

Jason Lane? Dude hit .175 last year and .201 the year before. :eek:

mlbfan30
01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Mench would be a great right handed power bat off the bench. He could play the corner OF and probably 1B and be one of the best backups in baseball (because he would only start against LHP).
His career line against LHP is .305 / .361 / .563
However he would cost probably around 5M per year, and possibly need a guaranteed 2nd year. That's a lot of money to spend for a backup/pinch hitter, but if the Reds think they need some extra right handed power, he is the perfect choice and would be worth the cost.

Lane's career line against LHP is .231 / .310 / .469. That's pretty bad, but his BABIP was below .230. He might not be horrible, assuming his BABIP increases, but Mench is a much better option.

captainmorgan07
01-05-2008, 04:21 PM
not bad signing low risk high reward type of deal. If he does good it's a plus if he doesn't it's not a big thing. He was part of that platoon in new york and he can also play more than just 1st base in the infield.

tomd63
01-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Jason Lane? Dude hit .175 last year and .201 the year before. :eek:

I think he's worth taking a shot at for a big rebound. He fell off the table too quick. He also put up a .940 OPS in about 200 ABs in AAA last year also. So he's shown some life in the bat that once hit 26 HRs and put up a .815 OPS in 2005. I like that he's a decent defender in the OF and can play CF, and has played some 1B in the past also. Here are some projections for him for next season.

Proj AB AVG OBP SLG OPS
Chone 407 .247 .327 .437 .764
James 196 .245 .327 .454 .781

Moosie52
01-07-2008, 07:36 AM
If he makes the team, it could mean the end of Castro's playing career.

:shocked: What would we do without Juan?

*BaseClogger*
01-07-2008, 01:18 PM
First Bubba Crosby now this... :thumbdown

BLEEDS
01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
We've got Kepp to be the RH bat off the bench - and the lefty-platooning 1B-man.

Phillips is a hopeful "diamond in the rough" pick-up, nothing more, nothing less.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Newman4
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, they could have done worse, I guess. They could've signed this Phillips:

http://data1.blog.de/blog/t/theobgcommunique/img/Lawrencephillipsmug.jpg

FreelFanatic
01-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Too expensive...you know we don't have any hats or helmets that big! :p:

Royals Fan
01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Athletics claimed outfielder Jeff Fiorentino off waivers from the Reds.

Another left-handed hitting outfielder for the A's. The 24-year-old Fiorentino should be nice to have around as depth, though he belongs in Triple-A right now. He hit .282/.346/.445 for Double-A Bowie last season.

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 02:59 PM
oh well