PDA

View Full Version : Clemens didn't seem believable in the interview

Goten
01-06-2008, 08:55 PM
He kept looking down at his shoes multiple times, and completely buckled at the lie detector test question. I just can't believe his story.

Redleg39
01-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah, he wasn't very convincing. After waiting so long to give an explanation I just can't believe him either

REDblooded
01-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah, he wasn't very convincing. After waiting so long to give an explanation I just can't believe him either

Michigan's got a new dick rod.

gotta wonder how you've been able to keep your signature without getting warned.................

Degenerate39
01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't know if Clemens did steroids or not but I really hope he didn't. Clemens is a legend in the game and steroids would just ruin everything he worked for much like Rose and gambling. If he did do steroids and he's lying then chances are he'll go through the same hell Rose did when Rose finally admitted to it. But I don't think everyone will turn on him like they did Bonds because he's not a jerk like Bonds was. Roger is a Hall Of Famer in my book regardless of steroids like Bonds but if he did steroids then he won't get in. He would've been a Hall of Famer easy before the Mitchell report. Now I'm not so sure.

schmidty622
01-06-2008, 11:54 PM
gotta wonder how you've been able to keep your signature without getting warned.................

gotta wonder why people get so offended round' here.

George Foster
01-07-2008, 12:30 AM
here is the official CBS interview.
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3680216n&channel=/sections/60minutes/videoplayer3415.shtml

bengalsown
01-07-2008, 01:27 AM

lol

:cry:

Redus
01-07-2008, 02:14 AM
It was hilarious. My Mother happened to be in the room and asked "who is this guy?". I told her who he was and she asked "should we believe him?". I said no. She said "yeah I didnt think so."

XU Lou
01-07-2008, 08:49 AM
This is probably important to Clemens' legacy, albeit a small sample size, but my 11 year old daughter watched the interview and about half way through stated, "He's lying through his teeth!"

You had to believe he would have a hard time convincing the older generations of his innocence. If he can't convince the kids than his legacy is in grave danger.

I am interested if any other Redzone members' children had the same reaction.

Say it ain't so, Roger.

durl
01-07-2008, 09:04 AM
The way 60 Minutes conducts their interviews, most of those interviewed for their "scandal-related" pieces look as though their lying. The interviewer looks very stern. The drastic close-up on the interviewee's face, etc.

I'm not saying Clemens wasn't lying, though. Still, I have my doubts about the Mitchell Report.

XU Lou
01-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Everyone on 60 Minutes is made to look as though they're lying. (The exception are their "feel-good" pieces that don't involve scandals.)

True, however I had heard that Wallace and Clemens were actually friends. Guess not anymore.

Goten
01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Clemens is now threatening to sue McNamee. This is interesting to me. I still think he's guilty...but if he's going down...he's going down with a fight.

ChatterRed
01-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Clemens should have learned from Pete Rose.

He'd have been better off saying he used Steroids/HGH to heal his injuries quicker. He might have been more believable.

I believe some players did use them for just that reason. I don't believe Clemens did though.

His legacy is tarnished forever, IMHO.

smoke6
01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I have always loved Rocket, but I have to say I thought he was lying through his teeth.

OUReds
01-07-2008, 10:21 AM
But I don't think everyone will turn on him like they did Bonds because he's not a jerk like Bonds was.

Not everyone would agree with that by a longshot, including myself. This is a guy who threw a broken bat at a player during a world series game. A guy who in the American league had the reputation of being willing to hit a guy at the drop of a hat, and whose HBP numbers in the NL (where he had to bat) mysteriously decreased.

His steroid "defense" sounds a lot like the crap he spewed after the world series incident.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2000/2000/1022/833644.html

smoke6
01-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Not everyone would agree with that by a longshot, including myself. This is a guy who threw a broken bat at a player during a world series game. A guy who in the American league had the reputation of being willing to hit a guy at the drop of a hat, and whose HBP numbers in the NL (where he had to bat) mysteriously decreased.

His steroid "defense" sounds a lot like the crap he spewed after the world series incident.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2000/2000/1022/833644.html

As a former pitcher, there are times when hitting someone is completely acceptable. It's part of the game. If you hit people you have to be willing to be hit yourself though.

Goten
01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I came across this: "There are at least five other people who will be able to corroborate McNamee's story, starting with Andy Pettitte," said the lawyer, who spoke on the condition he not be named. "Andy is not going to lie."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/06/2008-01-06_on_60_minutes_roger_clemens_says_steroid.html

RedsFanInMD
01-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Looking back, gotta wonder if that bat throwing incident wasn't 'Roid Rage.

OUReds
01-07-2008, 12:21 PM
As a former pitcher, there are times when hitting someone is completely acceptable. It's part of the game. If you hit people you have to be willing to be hit yourself though.

I agree, though there is a line between being "part of the game" and being unacceptable/dangerous. Where that line is, obviously, is subjective. In many people's opinion (including my own) Clemens crossed that line.

HUHUH
01-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Looking back, gotta wonder if that bat throwing incident wasn't 'Roid Rage.

I strongly suspected this was the case when it happened. I don't think I've ever seen anything so pitiful. I've always thought Clemens to be suspect, and a jerk!

stevekun
01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
ESPN2 he has a press conference on right now

gedred69
01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I agree, though there is a line between being "part of the game" and being unacceptable/dangerous. Where that line is, obviously, is subjective. In many people's opinion (including my own) Clemens crossed that line.

Drysdale used to keep a list in his hat of guys who hit HRs off him, to remind him of who he owed one to. Gibson, when asked what he thought about Bonds and the arm and elbow armor he wore for awhile said, "I'd give him a reason to need that protection". Baylor, the most hit batter in the game I believe, said "all these guys charging the mound after they get hit are a bunch of wimps. It's part of the game, take it like a man".

PS. I would agree when a pitcher throws at a batter's head, or tosses a nutcracker.

Chi-Town Red
01-07-2008, 08:39 PM
McNamee Has a masters degree is sports science. And he doesn't know the difference between anabolic steriods and B-12 ...come on...

_Sir_Charles_
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I personally don't think Roger used them. He doesn't have the physical tell tale signs of a 'roider. But regardless, he should deserve the benefit of the doubt don't you think? The only "evidence" that there is about Roger is the word of one person. While numerous players are implicated due to invoices and reciepts and such...heresay just isn't enough to say he's guilty. Innocent until proven guilty. That IS supposed to be how it works in the US isn't it?

Handofdeath
01-08-2008, 03:58 PM
I personally don't think Roger used them. He doesn't have the physical tell tale signs of a 'roider. But regardless, he should deserve the benefit of the doubt don't you think? The only "evidence" that there is about Roger is the word of one person. While numerous players are implicated due to invoices and reciepts and such...heresay just isn't enough to say he's guilty. Innocent until proven guilty. That IS supposed to be how it works in the US isn't it?

Indeed. But players don't necessarily show those signs. And as far as proof I would suggest checking out Clemens last 4 seasons with the Red Sox.

_Sir_Charles_
01-08-2008, 05:38 PM
So, you're saying that because he had 4 poor years that he then obviously took steroids to reverse the trend? That's reaching. His change in stats could've been something as a simple change in scenery. He certainly wasn't happy near the end there in Boston. His first year in NY wasn't great either. Sometimes it can be as simple as a pitcher having a down year. You can't win the Cy Young EVERY year. His work ethic alone could account for his leg strength. But he never underwent the physical changes that you see from someone who's taking sterioids. And considering the occurances that his trainer claims that he was taking them he would DEFINITELY be showing obvious signs. I just don't buy it.

Goten
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Clemens has changed a lot since his rookie year. I'm willing to bet he put on at the very least 40 pounds.

redsfanmia
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
If Clemens took steroids wouldnt he have a third ear growing out his forehead?

_Sir_Charles_
01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Clemens has changed a lot since his rookie year. I'm willing to bet he put on at the very least 40 pounds.

And are you aware of many guys who HAVEN'T? :O) Since I was 20 I know I've added a whole second person around my mid-section and *ss. *grin*

My point is that it doesn't appear to be muscle he's added. He's gotten bigger in the torso but that looks to be related to simply getting older.

Triples
01-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Most people get thicker as they mature, athletes included. Besides, you don't have to take steroids to gain muscle mass. If Clemens's workouts are as strenous as claimed, an increase in muscle mass would have been expected. And, Clemens' body didn't change in a single off season; it took 10 years (or longer).
Likewise, the fact that he didn't mind plunking a guy from time to time isn't an indicator that he was having roid rage. He's challenged guys inside his entire career. Its been know for years that you don't crowd the plate with Roger becasue he was afraid to put a strawberry on your buttocks.Just about everyone loved the fact that Roger had the muzpa to go inside on batters but now they're turning that around as flimsy proof that he was on roids. How does that work. (See previous post regarding Gibson)

I don't know if the guy took roids, HGH or anything else. So I'm not defending is guilt or innocence. I just hate the fact that the people in charge of Major League baseball are allowing individuals (Clemens and others) reputations to be torn to shreds simply becasue some guy who it appears illegally injected people with performance enhancing drugs and who is now scared to death of going to jail , is it appears trying to pass the buck to save is own fanny. McNamee doesn't have any more credibility in my mind than the players he is implicating. Its seems that baseball should deal with those players they have solid evidence against and move on. Baseball's owners, league office anc union should stop trying to save face by allowing player's good names to be drug through the mud. Going forward implement Olympic style testing the union be damned. Put this whole era behind us and we can talk about in ten years as a dark time in baseball but nothing more.

Goten
01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
And are you aware of many guys who HAVEN'T? :O) Since I was 20 I know I've added a whole second person around my mid-section and *ss. *grin*

My point is that it doesn't appear to be muscle he's added. He's gotten bigger in the torso but that looks to be related to simply getting older.

He looks pretty muscular to me. Perhaps abit bloated.

redsfanmia
01-09-2008, 04:16 PM

I bet your head didnt grow and Clemens' did a sure sign of roid use.

Orenda
01-09-2008, 05:06 PM
For some reason or another a lot of people assume that if a person is on steriods then that person will show obvious physical signs. I don't know much about steriods but I don't think you can assume that if you are on steriods then you will swell up. I wouldn't have suspected that half the tour de france was juiced, would you? If you had to guess between two people, which was on steriods and which wasn't and your two options were a cylcist or a middle linebacker who would you choose? It just goes to show how widespread steriods can be in athletics. Another thing I continue to laugh at with the steriod issue are the people who aren't sure (like Clemens in his interview) if steriods actually help you play baseball. Clemens is a guy who is well known for being a workout freak but yet he's not sure if steriods help baseball players. If that were really the case why the hell would he spend so much time working and training his body if all that added strength and durability did nothing for him on a baseball field?

01-09-2008, 05:18 PM
The most damning evidence against Clemens is not that he looks bigger, but that he pitched well well into his 40's, and didn't lose anything off of his fastball until last year.

Every pitcher loses a few miles off of their fastball each year after the age of 35. Every power pitcher before Clemens except Nolan Ryan burned out by age 40 with a subtle decline starting at around 35. Even Nolan Ryan lost miles off of his fastball, but since he started at over 100MPH, it took until he was 45 for him to get to below 90 MPH. Clemens was still throwing in the low to mid 90's as late as age 43. That is not natural.

Tools of Ignorance
01-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Physician opinions here.

First of all, Clemens definitely lied. No one gets a Lidocaine injection into their butt. That is incredible ridiculous. Lidocaine is a local anesthetic that "numbs" the tissue where it is injected. So a Lidocaine injection into the butt would just give him a numb butt.

Secondly, steroids do little on their own to make you have a big head, or be strong. They enhance the anabolic (muscle building) metabolism of the body. Catabolic is the term used to mean tissue breakdown or loss. The main mechanism of muscle building is injury followed by repair. So if you take substances that enhance muscle building (hence the anabolic steroid name), it helps you build up the muscles you have injured (ie weightlifting, working out, training etc). This injury/recovery mechanism is the basis of building strength through exercise. Steroids just enhance the effect. Anyone who trains a certain part of their body will build muscle strength there, but not elsewhere. If you only do curls, your legs won't get any bigger. So if you are a cyclist, your chest won't all of a sudden get bigger. If you work on fast twitch muscles (think Ben Johnson), those will be biult up at a higher level. The same goes for if you use slow twitch muscles.

This is why steroids can help hitters. Build up your muscles by lifting so you can hit harder, and also improve your bat speed with both specific exercises geared to fast twitch muscles as well as a ton of batting practice (again, this causes muscle injury to the specific areas needed for hitting, and steroids improve the development of these muscles during recovery).

It also helps pitching. Specific exercises geared to the pitching muscles needed, coupled with bullpen work to improve the muscles directly needed for pitching, combined with steroids to enhance the recovery effect will obviously improve the performance of the muscles needed to throw harder. It would even improve the muscles needed to throw breaking pitches if combined with the appropriate exercises and pitching work on those pitches.

If you are a basketball player, work on your jumping skills with exercise and play, taking steroids will help you jump higher.

If you are a cyclist, and pedal several hundred miles and day, steroids will develop those muscles

Unfortunately, I have heard of no data to support steroids building up the muscle of love.;)