PDA

View Full Version : Fay says Reds interested in Josh Fogg

AmarilloRed
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Reds interested in Fogg?

I heard today that the Reds have been talking to free agent right-hander Josh Fogg. Wayne Krivsky would not confirm that.

Fogg, a 31-year-old right-hander, was 10-9 with 4.94 ERA for Colorado last year. It was the fifth time in six years he's won at least 10 games. But he's never pitched 200 innings.

Fogg made $3.625 million last year, so the Reds might be able to get him at a relatively reasonable price.

Krivsky did say the Reds remain hopeful about landing a veteran for the rotation. He just won't name names, of course.

posted by John Fay at 5:10 PM

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2008/01/reds-interested-in-fogg.asp

PickOff
01-08-2008, 07:24 PM
MLB trade rumors reports that he is asking for 3 years, 21 million. Not sure how "reasonable" that is.

Bip Roberts
01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Thats about as reasonable as agreeing to life in prison in a plea deal

AmarilloRed
01-08-2008, 07:28 PM
He seems like he might seek three years and $21MM, just a guess. I don't want to dog the guy but he is below average in most aspects of pitching - allows tons of hits and HRs, doesn't strike people out. He's a flyball pitcher too. He does have decent control, though.

It doesn't sound like a good fit for the Reds.

sweetsport06
01-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Id say that Jeremy Affeldt would be a whole lot more reasonable, and he's a lefty who could possibly start as well. The only reason Affeldt was switched to the bullpen way back with the royals is his grip on his 2 seam fastball caused persistant blisters in turn affecting his pitching. As a starter he clocked in the mid- 90s quite often. not certain but i believe he also has a changeup and curveball though im not sure as to the effectiveness of either.

jmac
01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I am not a big fan of Mr Fogg. In fact, he is only slightly better than Milton and and near the same level as Loshe.
I really feel like WK will add an arm and I hope it isnt the right hand of the fogg.

AmarilloRed
01-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Fogg could be Reds target
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds didn’t sign any free agents pitchers today. But neither did anyone else in baseball.

Things have slowed down considerably on the free agent market.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky remains hopeful that the Reds will be able to add a veteran arm to the rotation.

“Yeah, I am,” he said. “We’ll see. We’re still having conversations with a lot of people. It’s the same as it’s been.”

Krivsky will not name names. But it’s believed that the Reds have been in contact with right-hander Josh Fogg.

“I’m not going to confirm that,” Krivsky said.

Fogg went 10-9 with a 4.94 ERA last year with the Colorado Rockies. It was the fifth time in six years that he reached double figures in wins.

He has been reliable in that he has averaged 30 starts over the last six years. But he has never pitched over 200 innings in a season.

Fogg, 31, was very good for the Rockies down the stretch in their pennant drive. He went 3-0 with a 3.25 ERA in five September starts. He also won a game in the NLCS.

Fogg made $3.625 million last season.

Fogg is one in a long list of second-tier free agents still available: Kris Benson, Jon Lieber, Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, Livan Hernandez and Brett Tomko among others.

The Reds have Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle penciled into the top three spots in the rotation.

The other two spots will be determined by competition among Homer Bailey, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto and Matt Maloney.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080108/SPT04/301080074/

I am sure there have been conversations with Josh Fogg, but I expect the Reds would not be willing to pay 3 years, 21 million for him. It seems like Krivsky is having conversations with lots of free agents, and he is only one on a long list of SP.

jmac
01-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Fogg could be Reds target
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds didn’t sign any free agents pitchers today. But neither did anyone else in baseball.

Things have slowed down considerably on the free agent market.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky remains hopeful that the Reds will be able to add a veteran arm to the rotation.

“Yeah, I am,” he said. “We’ll see. We’re still having conversations with a lot of people. It’s the same as it’s been.”

Krivsky will not name names. But it’s believed that the Reds have been in contact with right-hander Josh Fogg.

“I’m not going to confirm that,” Krivsky said.

Fogg went 10-9 with a 4.94 ERA last year with the Colorado Rockies. It was the fifth time in six years that he reached double figures in wins.

He has been reliable in that he has averaged 30 starts over the last six years. But he has never pitched over 200 innings in a season.

Fogg, 31, was very good for the Rockies down the stretch in their pennant drive. He went 3-0 with a 3.25 ERA in five September starts. He also won a game in the NLCS.

Fogg made $3.625 million last season.

Fogg is one in a long list of second-tier free agents still available: Kris Benson, Jon Lieber, Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, Livan Hernandez and Brett Tomko among others.

The Reds have Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle penciled into the top three spots in the rotation.

The other two spots will be determined by competition among Homer Bailey, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto and Matt Maloney.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080108/SPT04/301080074/

I am sure there have been conversations with Josh Fogg, but I expect the Reds would not be willing to pay 3 years, 21 million for him. It seems like Krivsky is having conversations with lots of free agents, and he is only one on a long list of SP.
There is that quote again "The Reds have Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle penciled into the top three spots in the rotation."
To say Belisle is a leading candidate is fine but giving him the third spot already is :rolleyes:

Vada Pinson Fan
01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Just go with what we have (Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, and the top 4 young starting pitchers-Bailey, Cueto, Volquez and Maloney) and see what shakes out during spring training. Go with 2 of the 4 kids to fill spots 4 and 5. Let these kids get experience and in 2009 be ready to contend by:
1) knowing better what the young 4 above can do,
2) get a stud FA pitcher (if needed) after the '08 season,
3) fill the weak position spots by trade or free agency,
4) by not spending on Fogg and the likes, Krivsky has that money+ to go after better talent next off-season. Stranger things have happened, but I don't see the Reds contending for the division crown in 2008. So let the young pitchers show what they can do THIS YEAR.

fadetoblack2880
01-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Fogg will contribute nothing in terms of helping this team win. I hope to God they don't waste the little bit of money they have on him. I'd rather see Eric Milton return...

Simms11
01-09-2008, 07:46 AM
What kind of velocity does he have these days...I mean if he is going to give up flyballs, might as well give them up in a hurry...

OesterPoster
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Stranger things have happened, but I don't see the Reds contending for the division crown in 2008. So let the young pitchers show what they can do THIS YEAR.

This is my line of thinking as well. See how things shake out over April, May, and June. If the Reds are way out of contention by the trade deadline, then see what you can get for Griffey, Dunn, Hatteberg, etc. If the Reds are close, then try trading for a SP who is having a career year.

HokieRed
01-09-2008, 09:52 AM
If this is Wayne's idea of a pitcher that will help, I think we should just fire Wayner outright. I'd rather give the innings to Tom Shearn.

CySeymour
01-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Fogg really isn't an upgrade over Belisle. Save the cash, and let Belisle plus two young guys have the spots. If you come up with someone better, then fine, move Belisle to the pen. But stay away from the Fogg.

wlf WV
01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
I would rather overpay for one year than three,whoever.I do think we must have another experienced Mlb pitcher going into ST,and I think we will.

Caveman Techie
01-09-2008, 01:58 PM
If it came down to Fogg or Hernandez I would rather they get Fogg. He has a better K/9, a better OPS against while pitching in the nightmare that is Colorodo and he gives up fewer walks.

Now my preference is tempered by price and years but for a 4/5 pitcher he would be a better option than Livan Hernandez.