PDA

View Full Version : More from ORG: Reds Interested in Runelvys Hernandez

TC81190
01-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Astros Close On Runelvys Hernandez
Brian McTaggart of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros are close to a one-year deal with starter Runelvys Hernandez. Hernandez will turn 30 in April. He spent 2007 in Triple A with the Pirates, Yankees, and Red Sox organizations.

None of this seems terribly interesting, but the article also says Hernandez got on a strict training regimen. Now that he's in shape, he's reportedly hitting 97 on the gun (sounds like agent-speak to me). I'll believe it when I see it. But Hernandez chose the right team in the Astros, as they're hurting for starting pitching. It's not a done deal yet; he's having some last minute discussions with other clubs. McTaggart says the Rangers, Pirates, Phillies, and Reds have all shown interest.

Heard the name, not familiar with his #s, though. But with a 97 mph heater, even if you fail as a starter, sometimes heat itself can get you by in the bully.

BEETTLEBUG
01-12-2008, 08:30 PM
If anybody see more about this let us know. Has anyone heard anything about : T. Armas,Odalis Perez,Mike O'Connor ,Byung- Hyun Kim, or Darrell Rasner on FA market?

Dracodave
01-12-2008, 09:13 PM
If anybody see more about this let us know. Has anyone heard anything about : T. Armas,Odalis Perez,Mike O'Connor ,Byung- Hyun Kim, or Darrell Rasner on FA market?

O'Connor from the Nationals? The one that was supposively going to be good??

BEETTLEBUG
01-13-2008, 12:17 AM
So O'Connor he not good hey? Would of those pitchers be interest of REDS?

Dracodave
01-13-2008, 09:44 AM
I'd stay away from Odalis Perez, but everyone else seems interesting to see what it could turn into.

Redus
01-13-2008, 10:13 AM
I was wondering about Rasner myself and if Hernandez is hitting 97 count me in

*BaseClogger*
01-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Hernandez has only struck out about 1 guy every 2 innings in the big leagues. Is the 97 mph fastball something new for him at age 30? (HGH?)

I always wondered why Kim couldn't be moved back to the bullpen...

Dracodave
01-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Hernandez has only struck out about 1 guy every 2 innings in the big leagues. Is the 97 mph fastball something new for him at age 30? (HGH?)

Hernandez had weight issues which horribly affected his mechanics..then there was his attitude issues (which could have stemmed from just playing in KC). Hernandez always HAD the stuff and the ablity to be a TOR/MOR pitcher, but he lacked the driving power to do it. Wasn't till he got demoted by the Red Sox and bounced around three teams last season that I guess it sunk in?

BEETTLEBUG
01-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Why do you not like Perez from above post?

Dracodave
01-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Why do you not like Perez from above post?

I never really did. I guess it could be missunderstanding, but I never liked him when he was a Dodger...to when he got traded and got shelled as a Royal

BEETTLEBUG
01-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Would Kim be a good starter in Cincy?

Dracodave
01-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Would Kim be a good starter in Cincy?

Perez to me..I dont know,I never liked him and the fact that he's been hurt almost 3 years straight or spent time on the DL each year..His strike outs have gone down significantly. Maybe it's just me? I dont know..Maybe its cause I dont like the name Odalis.

Kim? I actually like. Strong strike out rates, he's a swing man and good at it..doesnt give up the long ball like crazy. I think he'd be better suited as the reds number four/five honestly.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I totally agree with Dracodave, we need to find someone for our 4-5 spot who can go out there, and not pitch like its home run derby.

Redus
01-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I was wondering about Rasner myself and if Hernandez is hitting 97 count me in

Rasner went back to the Yankees...boo. With all the signings lately (Hendrickson,Lieber,Clement,Jennings, etc..) Runelvys is becoming a REAL possibility:eek:. Its worth a shot if he's in shape.

BEETTLEBUG
01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Runelvys just signed with Astros so there is another pitcher gone.

Bip Roberts
01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
oh god we arent signing any of these terrible/injured/head case pitchers I dont think im going to a single game this year