PDA

View Full Version : Chris Shelton has been DFA'd

AmarilloRed
01-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Any interest in going after him? We could possibly use a right-handed hitting first baseman with some pop in his bat.

Degenerate39
01-15-2008, 10:57 AM
I'd pick him up and give him a Triple A contract and if Hatteberg gets injured or gets traded then call him up for a while to see how he does.

CySeymour
01-15-2008, 10:57 AM
This would be a nice move by WK. I believe Shelton generally cranks on lefties, which would be a major plus for this team.

BigRed
01-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't think that it will happen. If they wanted someone like this, they would have kept Cantu.

*BaseClogger*
01-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't think that it will happen. If they wanted someone like this, they would have kept Cantu.

Cantu was going to cost money in arb. Most are advocated a minor league contract, which is very different.

I agree that signing Shelton would be a good idea, but only if we trade Hatteberg. I don't think we have any openings on our AAA at the corner infield...

Newman4
01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
This would be a nice move by WK. I believe Shelton generally cranks on lefties, which would be a major plus for this team.

He hits better against RHP unfortunately

*BaseClogger*
01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
He hits better against RHP unfortunately

retract my statement then...

crazybob60
01-19-2008, 03:15 PM
If we can get him for a minor league contract with a ST major league invite, I would give it a shot. It seems this is the type of guy that Wayne loves to go after and he can play the OF too, can't he along with 1B, right? He is much younger than Hatteberg too and I think we would like him in there. But that's just my opinion.

*BaseClogger*
01-19-2008, 03:35 PM
If we can get him for a minor league contract with a ST major league invite, I would give it a shot. It seems this is the type of guy that Wayne loves to go after and he can play the OF too, can't he along with 1B, right? He is much younger than Hatteberg too and I think we would like him in there. But that's just my opinion.

can't play the OF

crazybob60
01-19-2008, 04:16 PM
can't play the OF

I just checked on baseball-reference.com and he does have OF playing experience with Detroit so he can play the OF along with
1B if needed...although I bet he signs out west.

captainmorgan07
01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
pass on shelton he was a one hitwonder for the tigers.

TC81190
01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
He'd be a solid addition if he would sign a Minor league deal. You can never have too much depth.

Stephenk29
01-19-2008, 07:32 PM
I think he would just eat up a roster spot that would be better used by someone else.

TC81190
01-19-2008, 11:22 PM
I think he would just eat up a roster spot that would be better used by someone else.

Who? Juan Castro? Mike Stanton?

*BaseClogger*
01-20-2008, 01:49 AM
I just checked on baseball-reference.com and he does have OF playing experience with Detroit so he can play the OF along with
1B if needed...although I bet he signs out west.

He has like 3 career games in left field and I'm not even sure they were for nine innings... he can't play the OF

Stephenk29
01-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Who? Juan Castro? Mike Stanton?

Juan Castro, Mike Stanton, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, Majewski, you name em

Shelton is absolutely terrible. He had a hot month and a half and that was it. The same year he lit up sports center he got demoted to the minors. We already have two first baseman. He's not a very limber fellow, he can't play anywhere else. I don't want him running around right field, that would probably be the worst OF defense in history.

*BaseClogger*
01-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Juan Castro, Mike Stanton, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, Majewski, you name em

Shelton is absolutely terrible. He had a hot month and a half and that was it. The same year he lit up sports center he got demoted to the minors. We already have two first baseman. He's not a very limber fellow, he can't play anywhere else. I don't want him running around right field, that would probably be the worst OF defense in history.

So we can completely disregard his 1.5 months of success!? He has a 825 career OPS in MLB and a 912 career minor league OPS with a .412 OBP. I'm advocating him replacing Hatteberg, not carry all 3 1B. He can face LH pitching at 1B and pinch hit. He would cost very little and we might even get a decent prospect for Hatteberg!

Stephenk29
01-20-2008, 06:38 PM
The problem is I don't think Hatteberg will land us much of a prospect. It's pretty well known that Hatteberg will retire after this year. What can we really get for a guy in a situation like that? It would be just to get him off our hands. Shelton would be extremely cheap, and the fact that we have two lefty first baseman just sucks. He throws up better career stats then Cantu actually. I retract, wouldn't take much money to get him, I don't see the harm anymore.

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2008, 12:23 AM
some great stuff from RedsManRick from the ORG:

Except it's not. We have two left handed 1B who don't have value anywhere else (you want Votto in LF and Dunn on the bench?) and struggle versus righties. Votto either starts versus righties or should be in AAA.

Hatteberg vL: .237/.329/.344 ('07, .205/.244/.333)
Shelton vL: .273/.340/.466 ('06, .276/.377/.429)

Which guy do you want up versus a lefty? The only value Hatteberg provides is veteran leadership and a decent bat off the bench versus a tough righty. Unfortunately, this is a lefty heavy lineup as is and Keppinger is the primary backup at 3B/SS/2B already. Having a righty 1B with a little pop and decent OBP skills is an improvement over Hatteberg, who doesn't have much of a role left.

Oops, I forgot. Ignore everything else until we have a staff that rivals the mid 90's Braves...

Improvements to run scoring help as much as improvements to run prevention, especially when one doesn't come at the expense of the other. I don't get why this is hard to grasp.

I don't think you need much for him. Some 24 year old in AA who's got middle reliever upside would be sufficient for me. The roster spot is more valuable at this point. If you can get more, great. But don't let a non-impact trade prevent you from making a positive move.

redsfanmia
01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
He has like 3 career games in left field and I'm not even sure they were for nine innings... he can't play the OF
Anyone can play outfield.

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Anyone can play outfield.

got me there- lemme fix that:

He has like 3 career games in left field and I'm not even sure they were for nine innings... he can't play the OF capably

Newman4
01-21-2008, 10:45 PM
I would advocate essentially a Shelton for Hatteberg swap (Hatteberg to another team for player "X" and Shelton to the Reds with Texas receiving a player "Y" from the Reds). Shelton is exactly a LHP masher, but he's not bad from either side. At the worst, a decent bench player.

AmarilloRed
01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think it does us much good to have two left-handed hitting first baseman, and Hatteberg deserves a chance to start if he still wants it. I think a Shelton for Hatteberg swap makes a lot of sense, or we can sign Shelton if he is released and trade Hatteberg later.

roby
01-21-2008, 11:06 PM
I don't think it does us much good to have two left-handed hitting first baseman, and Hatteberg deserves a chance to start if he still wants it. I think a Shelton for Hatteberg swap makes a lot of sense, or we can sign Shelton if he is released and trade Hatteberg later.

Jorge Cantu would have been nice to have as a RH and part-time first baseman & pinch hiyyer...Oh well. :confused:

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Jorge Cantu would have been nice to have as a RH and part-time first baseman & pinch hiyyer...Oh well. :confused:

yes but he was gonna cost us a couple million in arby thanks to his propostrous 2005...

Stephenk29
01-22-2008, 12:36 AM
yes but he was gonna cost us a couple million in arby thanks to his propostrous 2005...

I checked Cantus stats and compared them to Shelton's and Shelton's are better anyway. The Fish only payed 500k for him, I wonder how much it really would have cost us.

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I checked Cantus stats and compared them to Shelton's and Shelton's are better anyway. The Fish only payed 500k for him, I wonder how much it really would have cost us.

In arbitration I would suspect $2 or $3 million for Cantu...

Dracodave
01-22-2008, 07:07 AM
In arbitration I would suspect $2 or $3 million for Cantu...

We couldnt give him any more than a soft pay cut and the fact that he would have cited 2005 (even if he didnt play for us)...We would have paid close to 2 million for him.

Shelton's a good idea for this team to go after, even if you dont truely play him all the time. I woud however, seriously look into trading or signing him.