PDA

View Full Version : Cubs sign Leiber

Newman4
01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
MLBTradeRumors.com -

Quote:
UPDATE, 1-16-08 at 10:45am: Rosenthal confirms the signing; it's a one-year deal. He says Lieber won't have to fight for a rotation spot. That might mean Jason Marquis is headed out of town or Ryan Dempster back to the 'pen (I suppose Dempster could be dealt instead). I guess Sean Marshall is the sixth man if he's not traded.

FROM 1-16-08 at 10:14am:

According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs "appear close to signing veteran right-hander Jon Lieber." Sullivan says Lieber would compete for the team's fifth starter job. Bruce Levine called this rumor earlier this month.

Lieber had some solid years for the Cubs, winning 20 games in '01. He had surgery in July of '07 for a ruptured tendon in his foot, missing the rest of the season. He'll be 38 in April.

Bip Roberts
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Subtraction by addition

SMcGavin
01-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Wonder what the money will be. I would have really liked to get Lieber on a one-year deal.

Newman4
01-16-2008, 12:24 PM
How about Alex Gonzalez for Marshall and Marquis (assuming they want to rid themselves of his 2 yrs. 16+ million $ left for 08-09)?

AmarilloRed
01-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Sources: Cubs ink Lieber to 1-year deal
by Ken Rosenthal

The Cubs, turning to an old friend, have signed right-hander Jon Lieber to a one-year contract, according to major-league sources.

Lieber, who turns 38 on April 2, was the last Cub to win 20 games, going 20-6 in 2001. He spent the past three seasons with the Phillies, but missed the second half of last season after suffering a ruptured tendon in his right foot.

The signing of Lieber could signal a trade of right-hander Jason Marquis or the return of righty Ryan Dempster to the bullpen. Lieber will be in the Cubs' rotation, sources say; otherwise, he would have signed with another club.

The Cubs already appear set with five starters — Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly, Rich Hill, Marquis and Dempster. Marquis, who went 12-9 with a 4.60 ERA and pitched 191 2/3 innings last season, has two years and $16.25 million remaining on his contract.

Lieber was 3-6 with a 4.73 ERA last season when he suffered his foot injury on June 24. He had opened the season on the disabled list with a strained right oblique.

His last season with the Cubs was 2002, when he suffered an elbow injury that forced him to undergo elbow-ligament transplant surgery and miss the entire '03 season.

The Yankees signed Lieber to a two-year deal after the Cubs declined his option, and he made the move look good by winning 14 games in '04, tying him for the team lead. He signed a three-year contract with the Phillies following that season.

He is 129-121 lifetime with a 4.28 ERA.

Sounds like either a trade is forthcoming, or they will move Dempster to the bullpen.I also wonder if his previous history played a part in him returning to Chicago.

HokieRed
01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Good move by the Cubs. Gives flexibility in the rotation, enables them to move Dempster back to bullpen if needed, provides depth, surely the trade for Roberts involving at least Marshall is now in order. I fear the Reds will respond by giving away the entire farm system for a two year rental of Erik Bedard. Signing Kyle Lohse and keeping our prospect pitchers would be a lot better option. Wonder how much Dusty tried to get Lieber to come to Cinti?

BEETTLEBUG
01-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I would make that trade Newman4

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2008, 12:42 PM
How about Alex Gonzalez for Marshall and Marquis (assuming they want to rid themselves of his 2 yrs. 16+ million $ left for 08-09)?

I'd do that. Both pitchers have good groundball tendencies and Marquis would be better than Livan Hernandez. Play Kepp at SS...

Heck, I'd do Gonzalez for Marquis/Marshall and a lesser prospect

01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Putting Keppinger as the everyday SS is the same as conceding 2008. There is a chance he might be able to play everyday and be decent SS, but I wouldn't bet on it.
We all saw what happened to Freel when he tried to play everyday.
Keppinger is not a shortstop. He played a total of 8 games at SS in the minors. He was put at SS last year for the Reds, only because they had no one else. He was rated as a below average to average 2b when he was in the minors. Which means that he is even worse as a SS.
I have no problem with that trade, but not if it means Keppinger is the Reds everyday SS.

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Putting Keppinger as the everyday SS is the same as conceding 2008. There is a chance he might be able to play everyday and be decent SS, but I wouldn't bet on it.
We all saw what happened to Freel when he tried to play everyday.
Keppinger is not a shortstop. He played a total of 8 games at SS in the minors. He was put at SS last year for the Reds, only because they had no one else. He was rated as a below average to average 2b when he was in the minors. Which means that he is even worse as a SS.
I have no problem with that trade, but not if it means Keppinger is the Reds everyday SS.

Have we had a Gonzalez vs. Keppinger defense arguement before?

AmarilloRed
01-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Only about a million times.:D

Bip Roberts
01-16-2008, 01:11 PM
We had the last years Gonzales v keppinger argument before

01-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey, you guys brought it up.

Anyway, I am not making a Gonzalez Vs. Keppinger argument, just a no Keppinger as everyday SS argument. I'll shut up now.

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey, you guys brought it up.

Anyway, I am not making a Gonzalez Vs. Keppinger argument, just a no Keppinger as everyday SS argument. I'll shut up now.

All I ask is that you look at last year's defenisve stats for the two. Even if Gonzalez gets back to what he did defensively in Boston, and Keppinger regresses, the defense will still be made up by Kepp's bat and salary difference...

wlf WV
01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Leiber was who I thought O'Brien should of signed instead of Milton.They both were of little value to their respective teams because of injuries.I could never understand bringing Milton into GAB.

TheBigLebowski
01-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Only reason why this bothers me is Leiber kills us and he's now in our division.

Otherwise, this really makes the Cubs no better.

SMcGavin
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
It only cost them $3.5M. I love Lieber at that price.

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2008, 08:44 PM

agreed. I guess he wanted to join the Cubs badly- I would have offered him $6 million for one year...

Stephenk29
01-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Anyone else started to get a little worried that the FA list in narrowing down, and the Reds still haven't pick up someone?

Bip Roberts
01-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Signing Jon Leiber doesnt improve this team unless hes jon leiber of 6 years ago

Newman4
01-17-2008, 12:36 AM

Keppinger as everyday SS + Marshall + Marquis > Gonzalez as everyday SS

BEETTLEBUG
01-17-2008, 02:10 AM
Put Phillips back at SS and Keppinger at 2B. Phillips can handle SS cause that is what he started out as.

PickOff
01-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Absolutely, great insurance if nothing else.