PDA

View Full Version : Draft: Offensive Line

WVRed
01-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I know the general assumption is that the Bengals will likely draft defense the majority of the draft and overhaul that part of the roster.

With the offensive line reeling from injuries last year and most notably Willie Anderson on his last legs, would you consider looking at Ryan Clady with the first round pick if he were available?

I think he will be gone by the Kansas City pick, but if they go with Matt Ryan or Chris Long, would Clady be an option for you?

WMR
01-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Nope, not for me. If the first round pick isn't used on a d-lineman, I'm grabbing my pitchfork and heading to PBS.

Highlifeman21
01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
I want to see what moves are made leading up to the draft before I opine which direction I think the Bengals should go.

If they look verbatim as they do now come draft day, then D-Line is still the most pressing need.

sonny
01-20-2008, 11:11 PM
If Gohlston or Ellis isn't in a Bengals uniform next year, I will throw out my Akili Smith jersey and buy a Tim Couch one.

Not really, but i will be P!$$@d

Bip Roberts
01-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Draft Ellis and sign Suggs please

Redsfaithful
01-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I think they need a new center, but it's definitely not something I would try to address in the first round. I think going O-line in one of rounds 2-4 would be a good idea, but they can't afford to miss with whoever they select.

Resigning Stacy Andrews would also be a pretty good idea.

GoReds33
01-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I hope they get either a defensive end, of some kind of linebacker in the first round. This year we have a real oppertunity to draft a playmaker on defense. I really hope they get that player. The O-line does need re-tooled though. So a pick around the third round of an offensive lineman wouldn't be a bad move.

Benihana
01-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Draft Ellis and sign Suggs please

Would love to see this happen, but unfortunately I heard Suggs wants to go back to Arizona.

Yachtzee
01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Would love to see this happen, but unfortunately I heard Suggs wants to go back to Arizona.

I've heard of plenty of NFL players from the tri-state area express wishes to "go home" to play for the Bengals, but they usually end up going wherever they get the best contract. So I would take Suggs' desire to go back to Arizona with a grain of salt. Any team can swoop in with the right offer and pick him up. That being said, I don't see the Bengals as being the team that makes the right offer.

Highlifeman21
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
The Bengals right now are a bare cupboard with a huge grocery list.

The problem lies with having only a certain amount of money, and many mouths to feed. How do you accurately prioritize the spending? What needs do you fill?

HotCorner
01-22-2008, 11:47 AM
What if Ellis and Gholston are gone at 9? Who is next in your book?

Bip Roberts
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
What if Ellis and Gholston are gone at 9? Who is next in your book?

DE Calais Campbell from Miami, or LB Dan Conner from Penn State

WVRed
01-22-2008, 01:29 PM

No on Campbell. Too many question marks, especially when it comes to character and his play his senior season.

Connor may be the most solid fundamentally, but he is far from a playmaker. I wouldn't be disappointed with the pick, but i'd like to see better.

I'd like to see Keith Rivers myself, but if they could get a lineman on either side of the ball in the first, the depth at LB is a lot better in the second and third rounds.

Bip Roberts
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM
No on Campbell. Too many question marks, especially when it comes to character and his play his senior season.

Connor may be the most solid fundamentally, but he is far from a playmaker. I wouldn't be disappointed with the pick, but i'd like to see better.

I'd like to see Keith Rivers myself, but if they could get a lineman on either side of the ball in the first, the depth at LB is a lot better in the second and third rounds.

Hey he just asked who Id take after those other couple guys. I dont want Campbell that much either but if thats what happens im not going to fight it. Lets not joke ourselves though DE and DT are always questionable picks.

I think Conner would be a solid pick to settle on because hes solid fundamentally. If anything the Bengals need its someone who does what hes supposed to and not trying to make a highlight film.

CrackerJack
01-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I would rather see a Guard or Center and/or TE drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They could do ok with Whit at RT if they were smart enough to make that move and upgrade Ghuchiac, who frankly isn't very good.

They will HAVE to use Free Agency this year if they want to address their biggest needs - they're not going to find the quality of LB they need in the mid-rounds for instance - but they could use at least 2 starting caliber LB's.

Protecting Palmer is absolutely key to their success for many years - skimping on interior o-lineman or not having a long term plan there is stupid.

But this is the Bengals, and they "do what they do," which is make the wrong decisions and operate in a cheap, short-sighted manner.

Frankly I have little hope for them or the future despite having a top 5 caliber QB - they are wasting it away with not a single playoff win and one appearance to show for it after 5 years already. Pretty pathetic. And the natives are growing restless, including Palmer.

As we saw last season, Palmer is currently being "Bungalized" finally along with Chad and TJ.

Another losing or mediocre season and all 3 of those guys are going to want out and someone is going to end up holding out and causing a lot of problems for them.

Screwball
01-22-2008, 04:21 PM
As we saw last season, Palmer is currently being "Bungalized" finally along with Chad and TJ.

Good Lord. You can't be serious.

One's a Pro Bowler this season, the other's a PB alternate, and the QB, despite a down year for him, put up 26 TDs and 4,100+ yards. You call that being "Bungalized"?

As for drafting OL, I could live with it being a first day pick, but not a 1st rounder. That needs to be on the D-Line. The inability to get any kind of pressure or penetration from the front 4 has been a nagging problem for the last couple years. A guy like Ellis or Gholston would really help fill that void, although I'm not sure they'll still be around when we pick. The combine and media hype can really change things around concerning perceptions of the players. Not to mention any character issues that might come up between now and then.

bucksfan2
01-23-2008, 08:33 AM
You draft the best player that fills a need on this team. I don't care if the experts call it a reach or now. It seems foolish to draft a player because he is slotted there. I remember a few years ago whe Buffalo drafted Donte Whitner and the experts were all over them because he was drafted too early. In retrospect Whitner has been a very good player in the Buffalo secondary and has started for most of his career.

The Bengals need help at DL and LB first. I don't want a first day draft pick (1st and 2nd rounds) going towards offense. I would like to see a flyer on WR or RB late in the draft maybe 5-6-7 rounds. But if they go offense in the 1st or 2nd round I may just throw my beer at the TV.

Benihana
01-23-2008, 10:07 AM

These are the two worst possible picks the Bengals could make IMO. That is, assuming they don't completely lose their mind and draft offense.

If not Ellis or Gholston, then I guess Derrick Harvey or Keith Rivers would be the best guys available. But I'm really hoping Ellis or Gholston is there. There is an enormous drop-off after that.

RedsManRick
01-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Do we really need more LB? I thought we just needed the ones we have to stay healthy. It's gotta be about the D-Line.