PDA

View Full Version : Bengalszone's thoughts on Redszone

TheWalls
01-21-2008, 07:15 PM
ArmyBengal, one of the mods at Bengalszone, and also an exceptional member of the US armed forces recently finishing a tour in Afghanistan, made this post over in their forum. Thought the perspective of one of the mods of a very successful Cincy sports forum were interesting... (PLEASE NOTE: his words not mine) Any comments from the RedsZone mods???

"In my attempts to find a Reds forum comparable to "THE" Bengalszone.com, I ran into a site named ---> Redszone.com

At first I thought this should be a pretty good site with a similar name, but when I got into it, they separate the new guys from the guys that have been there for a while and won't allow them to post with each other. You start out in one forum and with enough posts and get this, "reputation" points or some sh*t then "IF" they VOTE you into their super cool group, you can post there. There reasoning was to keep people from coming on there and talking [editted so I don't get probation] and having a negative vibe.

Now me personally, I think that is what makes a forum great. A difference of opinion. Not to mention that is what moderators are for. Anyway, besides these [editted so I don't get probation], does anyone know of any "GOOD" reds forums. I like coming here, but it's not quite the same and the forum on Cincinnatireds.com is so unorganized I can't hardly stand it.

If any of you guys belong to redszone.com, I'm sorry, but that place is [editted so I don't get probation] !!!

WHODEY !!!

GoReds33
01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
ArmyBengal, one of the mods at Bengalszone, and also an exceptional member of the US armed forces recently finishing a tour in Afghanistan, made this post over in their forum. Thought the perspective of one of the mods of a very successful Cincy sports forum were interesting... (PLEASE NOTE: his words not mine) Any comments from the RedsZone mods???

"In my attempts to find a Reds forum comparable to "THE" Bengalszone.com, I ran into a site named ---> Redszone.com

At first I thought this should be a pretty good site with a similar name, but when I got into it, they separate the new guys from the guys that have been there for a while and won't allow them to post with each other. You start out in one forum and with enough posts and get this, "reputation" points or some sh*t then "IF" they VOTE you into their super cool group, you can post there. There reasoning was to keep people from coming on there and talking [editted so I don't get probation] and having a negative vibe.

Now me personally, I think that is what makes a forum great. A difference of opinion. Not to mention that is what moderators are for. Anyway, besides these [editted so I don't get probation], does anyone know of any "GOOD" reds forums. I like coming here, but it's not quite the same and the forum on Cincinnatireds.com is so unorganized I can't hardly stand it.

If any of you guys belong to redszone.com, I'm sorry, but that place is [editted so I don't get probation] !!!

WHODEY !!!They have their system, and we have ours. I think that it does help a lot that we have two forums. I think that it helps seperate the nonsense from the educated posters. Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great posters, that have educated opinions on the Sun Deck. I just think that it helps keep people in check.

I recently visited Bengalszone, and wasn't impressed at all. They have tons of uneducated posts. They have those pictures in their siguatures that are inappropriate. I just like our system better.

That's my two cents.

Boss-Hog
01-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Any comments from the RedsZone mods???

Yes - I could care less what's said about us over there.

WMR
01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Yes - I could care less what's said about us over there.

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

In other words, you aren't interested in a BOARD (Bored?) WAR??

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

Heath
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Any comments from the RedsZone mods???

Please send ArmyBengal a sincere thanks for his volunteer service to aid our country.

Also let him know that as far as his thoughts on RedsZone, that Imitation and Jealousy are the sincerest forms of flattery.

Degenerate39
01-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I've gone to Bengalszone a few times and didn't care for the site at all. You really can't compare this site and that site because they're in two different leagues.

AmarilloRed
01-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I am not a Bengals fan, so I had never heard of the site before. I looked it up, and they have a separate Cincinnati Reds sub-forum where the original post was made. I have been a member of Redzone for a while, and have always thought the system was quite fair. Make quality posts, be civil to you fellow posters, and elevate the general posting discourse and in due course you should be a member of ORG. I do hope that Bengalzone considers instituting a similar system in their site in the future.

KronoRed
01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
We should attack and subjugate them :devil:

TC81190
01-21-2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.palmettoscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/internets.jpg

paintmered
01-21-2008, 10:58 PM
There reasoning was to keep people from coming on there and talking sh*t and having a negative vibe.

Now me personally, I think that is what makes a forum great. A difference of opinion.

That sounds about right. Here, we don't "talk sh*t" when disagreeing with another poster. Contrary to popular belief, disagreements can be handled in a constructive manner. That idea is enforced here unlike most other places. Redszone has never been about smack talk, and anyone looking for a venue to talk smack will be disappointed here.

I never did like that site. There are too many distractions surrounding too few quality thoughts. Different strokes, I guess...

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2008, 11:58 PM
I think some of the difference between the two boards starts with the difference in sports that are discussed. Baseball fans seem more knowledgable than the average football fan. I mean, are there sabremetricians for football?

Bip Roberts
01-22-2008, 01:40 AM
I think some of the difference between the two boards starts with the difference in sports that are discussed. Baseball fans seem more knowledgable than the average football fan. I mean, are there sabremetricians for football?

There is no steroids in football though

sonny
01-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Theres just too much skin to enjoy any serious conversation there. The only boobs on this board are me and my brother. :)

WMR
01-22-2008, 02:40 AM
There is no steroids in football though

Riiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhttttttt.

WMR
01-22-2008, 02:41 AM
We should attack and subjugate them :devil:

Krono could take them down singlehandedly.

guttle11
01-22-2008, 02:48 AM
I'm apparently one of the cool kids, according to bengalszone.

Finally!

WVRed
01-22-2008, 07:06 AM
I don't know, I like me some good hot chicks every now and then.

http://trailrides.homestead.com/baby_chick.jpg

Heath
01-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I've noticed that the first rule of a message board is that if our quality sucks, we'll cover our crap with skins.

Heath
01-22-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't know, I like me some good hot chicks every now and then.

http://trailrides.homestead.com/baby_chick.jpg

Me too. Especially when it's "Famous Recipe".

camisadelgolf
01-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Now me personally, I think that is what makes a forum great. A difference of opinion.

I thought this part was great. Obviously, everyone in tORG has the same opinions.

membengal
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Fwiw, you have to clear through a ton of chaff to post there, like most Bengals chatboards. It also helps, if you work or have kids, to turn off the pics option, so nudity isn't the norm when you are there.

And, you do have to work a ton to get through the juvenile stuff. But there are a core of posters there who are decent.

Still, it is nice to have a place like this one where some of those steps don't have to be taken. To say the least.

DTCromer
01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I am not a Bengals fan, so I had never heard of the site before. I looked it up, and they have a separate Cincinnati Reds sub-forum where the original post was made. I have been a member of Redzone for a while, and have always thought the system was quite fair. Make quality posts, be civil to you fellow posters, and elevate the general posting discourse and in due course you should be a member of ORG. I do hope that Bengalzone considers instituting a similar system in their site in the future.

The difference is that if I have a difference of opinion from most of the board, or the leaders of the board (ie Adam Dunn), then you get "negative repped." That's why it pisses a lot of people off, like myself. I can't say anything negative about certain players.

If I met everyone from TRZ at a bar and said I loved Marty, I'd get stoned. Some people just take message boards a bit too seriously IMO.

sonny
01-23-2008, 02:18 AM
The difference is that if I have a difference of opinion from most of the board, or the leaders of the board (ie Adam Dunn), then you get "negative repped." That's why it pisses a lot of people off, like myself. I can't say anything negative about certain players.

If I met everyone from TRZ at a bar and said I loved Marty, I'd get stoned. Some people just take message boards a bit too seriously IMO.

Under the new system, you won't get negative rep. Your blanket statement is an unfair assumption of how we conduct ourselves. In fact, differences of opinion and the manner in which they are handled help make this board the best one I go to (by far).

Is RZ's system perfect? No, but no system ever is.

WMR
01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Under the new system, you won't get negative rep. Your blanket statement is an unfair assumption of how we conduct ourselves. In fact, differences of opinion and the manner in which they are handled help make this board the best one I go to (by far).

Is RZ's system perfect? No, but no system ever is.

Except for the song-writing system of the band, "Flight of the Conchords." Their system is just about perfect. :D

Caveat Emperor
01-23-2008, 03:36 PM

Sure you can.

Just bring something to the table to back up what you are saying or prepare to be confronted by people who can back thier differing opinions up.

You have the right to an opinion. Nobody is going to go to your house, knock on your door, and force you to like Adam Dunn. If you want to put your opinion out there (i.e. on a message board) for public consumption, however, then expect the public to consume it. And, if your opinion lacks supporting evidence or substance, don't get mad when it's chewed up and spit back out immediately.

DTCromer
01-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree we have a right to opinion and we have to back up our talk. But it's funny I need to talk about "luck" or Dunn's BABIP or whatever other whacked out stat to back up an argument. For instance, I could say, "I personally think it's the wrong decision to pay a man 15 million dollars for missing 3rd base, his 3-45 average with a count of 0-2 on him, and his pourous OF glove defined by his (enter aprocraphyl FP or whatever other useless stat that someone told me that Adam Dunn ACTUALLY covered more ground in the OF than our CF and that he was making up for them)."

When I say that, I received multiple negative reps and PM's saying how clueless I was about baseball because Adam Dunn hits a magical .266 vs righties when the wind is blowing <10 mph on even numbered days."

I'm getting a bit off-topic, but I'm basically saying that we can make stats say anything and that's about the only evidence we can present. It just comes down to the majority of people on this board man-loving Dunn and hating Marty (when we can't even present objective evidence of how good/bad he is. It's just your personal opinion). So how could I ever expect to post on the highest board of all time.

sonny
01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
You basically answered your own question with that post.

RedFanAlways1966
01-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Believe it or not: There used to be two straight-shooting RZ members who made the mistake of displaying their love for Marty at a bar with all of the RZ members. This transgression ended up causing them to be stoned for the 1st time in their young lives. As bad as it seemed at the time, that stoning started a new career for them that led to fame and fortune....

http://www.geocities.com/stoner_mel/Cheech_Chong-small.jpg

KronoRed
01-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Nice photo of GAC and Rem

remdog
01-24-2008, 06:22 AM
I still have that bandana! :lol:

Rem

WMR
01-24-2008, 07:57 AM
NOW I understand why Rem lives in Cali.

:pimp:

Heath
01-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Can't be GAC - he doesn't have an Indians' hat on -

pedro
01-24-2008, 11:38 AM
NOW I understand why Rem lives in Cali.

:pimp:

A couple of things.

1. No one who has ever lived there would call California "cali". They make fun of that there.

2. I hear rumors they grow a little weed in Kentucky too.

:)

westofyou
01-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Cali, Zona.... all east coast bastardizations of full names, non existent past the Rockies.

Kentucky ditch weed?

Everywhere... just ask Billy Ray Cyrus... he covers it in the History Channels show "Hillbilly"

macro
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
...he covers it in the History Channels show "Hillbilly"

Very good documentary, I might add. Recommended.

Yachtzee
01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
A couple of things.

1. No one who has ever lived there would call California "cali". They make fun of that there.

What about LL Cool J?

I'm going back to Cali, rising, surprising
Advising realizing, she's sizing me up
Her bikini - small; heels - tall
She said, she liked, the ocean
She showed me a beach, gave me a peach
and pulled out the suntan lotion

westofyou
01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
What about LL Cool J?

I lived there 20 years... NO ONE ever said it in my presence.

Not once.

pedro
01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
What about LL Cool J?

He's from NYC.

Highlifeman21
01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Very good documentary, I might add. Recommended.

I concur.

The episode I saw covering moonshine and the conception of NASCAR was very interesting. Lotta good information on the Flock family.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm pleased; very pleased with the way things are here. I've never been to Bengalszone and from what I just read I won't be (going there). I enjoy intelligent conversation and when I want intelligent baseball talk (daily, of course, LOL!) Redszone is where I go. I do occasionally visit other baseball forums such as The Cincinnati Reds official site fan forum, the Cincinnati Enquirer's fan forums and also the official site forums of Major League Baseball teams but in my opinion none compare to Redszone and that is a compliment and tribute to Boss, GIK, the moderators and the posters that all contribute to the success of Redszone. Thanks ArmyBengal for your opinion but thousands of us here enjoy the way things are done in a respectful, courteous, non-adversarial manner.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm pleased; very pleased with the way things are here. I've never been to Bengalszone and from what I just read I won't be (going there). I enjoy intelligent conversation and when I want intelligent baseball talk (daily, of course, LOL!) Redszone is where I go. I do occasionally visit other baseball forums such as The Cincinnati Reds official site fan forum, the Cincinnati Enquirer's fan forums and also the official site forums of Major League Baseball teams but in my opinion none compare to Redszone and that is a compliment and tribute to Boss, GIK, the moderators and the posters that all contribute to the success of Redszone. Thanks ArmyBengal for your opinion but thousands of us here enjoy the way things are done in a respectful, courteous, non-adversarial manner.

couldn't have said it better myself...

RedsManRick
01-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I agree we have a right to opinion and we have to back up our talk. But it's funny I need to talk about "luck" or Dunn's BABIP or whatever other whacked out stat to back up an argument. For instance, I could say, "I personally think it's the wrong decision to pay a man 15 million dollars for missing 3rd base, his 3-45 average with a count of 0-2 on him, and his pourous OF glove defined by his (enter aprocraphyl FP or whatever other useless stat that someone told me that Adam Dunn ACTUALLY covered more ground in the OF than our CF and that he was making up for them)."

When I say that, I received multiple negative reps and PM's saying how clueless I was about baseball because Adam Dunn hits a magical .266 vs righties when the wind is blowing <10 mph on even numbered days."

I'm getting a bit off-topic, but I'm basically saying that we can make stats say anything and that's about the only evidence we can present. It just comes down to the majority of people on this board man-loving Dunn and hating Marty (when we can't even present objective evidence of how good/bad he is. It's just your personal opinion). So how could I ever expect to post on the highest board of all time.

Sounds like you have three issues:

1.) An inability to post personal opinion free from disagreement from those who have differing opinions.
2.) Hostility towards quantitative analysis, particularly when it's used to support an argument counter to your opinion.
2.) A rep system which punished differing opinion instead of poor conduct

#1 is how I feel public discourse should work, and I'm glad that RedsZone members encourage all people to defend, examine, and reexamine their point of view, whatever it may be. You are entitled to your opinions. But once placed those in a forum for discussion, they are fair game for critique and criticism.

#2 is common on Reds board and elsewhere. Some people don't understand quantitative analysis, some people just don't like it, and some just choose to ignore it because they prefer to view the game through a different lens. What RedsZone members strongly reacts to in a negative way is willful ignorance. Opinions, backgrounds, and perspectives vary, but few of us respect ad hominem attacks of other people's methods and reasoning.

#3 has not been a problem for months now, since the system was changed and rep was removed -- largely for this reason. The two-tiered system is meant to achieve similar goals to the rep system with less grade-inflation and punishment for differing opinions. Membership on ORG is not difficult to obtain if you show yourself to be a regular, civil contributor to the site. Despite that a few posters PM'd you in disagreement about your opinions (certainly their right to do so assuming the messages were polite), there is no opinion litmus test for ORG membership. 99% of it is how you communicate your opinion rather than what your opinion is. ORG is full of people with varying ideas and opinions, but thanks to the firewall system, is largely free from the volumes of inane, valueless threads and posts that often flood other boards.

ochre
01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
I think Adam Dunn should start calling himself "cuatro cuatro".

WMR
01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
A couple of things.

2. I hear rumors they grow a little weed in Kentucky too.

:)

:lol: I'm not sure if I could handle being made fun of by CALIfornians. How did Obi Wan describe the Mos Eisley Cantina again? ;)

Hell yeah Kentucky does. Unfortunately you can't complain of insomnia and get a written doctor's prescription for some maui wowie here, however.

Screwball
01-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I think Adam Dunn should start calling himself "cuatro cuatro".

:laugh:

Definitely gonna have to steal that one...

Cedric
01-25-2008, 12:46 AM
The problem with Bengalzone is the posters have a very limited knowledge of the game. Baseball has been studied and dissected for over a hundred years. The NFL is just now getting statistical analysis like VORA. That's not even mentioning the amount of young, new fans the Bengals have. Football is an incredibly complex game and yet you have talking heads on ESPN that tend to value statistics in a completely wrong way. Go to a Bengals game sometime and listen to the discussion of the game from these people. It's to the point where I would much rather watch the game at home than deal with the immature, vulgar, and drunk fans. I lurk there sometimes and even with their signatures and profile pics you can get a quick picture on style of most posters. It's much like the fans at the Bengals games that have no clue what is going on. Usually the loudest is the dumbest in my experience.

Unassisted
01-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Thought the perspective of one of the mods of a very successful Cincy sports forum were interesting... (PLEASE NOTE: his words not mine)

You've made it clear that the words are not yours, but it's not clear whether you share the opinion. Does that post you quoted speak for you, too?

Yachtzee
01-25-2008, 06:50 PM
You've made it clear that the words are not yours, but it's not clear whether you share the opinion. Does that post you quoted speak for you, too?

I think he made his opinion clear in the Bengalszone thread where he referred to the Redszone folks in a very unflattering way. Seems to me like he was trying to stir the pot.

Raisor
01-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I heart it when people complain about how much they hate a message board. If you don't like RaisorZone, don't post at RaisorZone.

camisadelgolf
01-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Sounds like you have three issues:

1.) An inability to post personal opinion free from disagreement from those who have differing opinions.
2.) Hostility towards quantitative analysis, particularly when it's used to support an argument counter to your opinion.
2.) A rep system which punished differing opinion instead of poor conduct

It sounds like you have an issue with counting. ;):D

TC81190
01-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I heart it when people complain about how much they hate a message board. If you don't like RaisorZone, don't post at RaisorZone.

HEY, who changed the logo? ;)

Unassisted
01-27-2008, 12:25 PM
I think he made his opinion clear in the Bengalszone thread where he referred to the Redszone folks in a very unflattering way. Seems to me like he was trying to stir the pot.Maybe so, but it would be nice to get a firsthand answer from the OP. The longer that this grenade of a thread is allowed to roll around without even one reply from TheWalls, the more likely it is that your suspicion is correct.

AmarilloRed
01-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Maybe so, but it would be nice to get a firsthand answer from the OP. The longer that this grenade of a thread is allowed to roll around without even one reply from TheWalls, the more likely it is that your suspicion is correct.

In the Bengalzone thread, he claims that he has been banned from RedsZone. If that is the case, we will not be hearing from him again.

RFS62
01-27-2008, 06:40 PM
In the Bengalzone thread, he claims that he has been banned from RedsZone. If that is the case, we will not be hearing from him again.

We should send him a nice fruit basket.

Unassisted
01-27-2008, 07:11 PM
In the Bengalzone thread, he claims that he has been banned from RedsZone. If that is the case, we will not be hearing from him again.But that post was made before the first post in this thread. The "ban" was probably just a vacation from the board that ended long ago.

AmarilloRed
01-27-2008, 08:32 PM
He may have been a member when he made the initial post, but I checked the list of members and he is no longer listed. That would seem to indicate he has either left for reasons of his own, or been asked to leave.