View Full Version : Surprise team for 2008

fisch11
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Fox Sports:

Short writeup on Reds....

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7701088

mroby85
01-23-2008, 01:14 PM
a good reds team seriously wouldn't surprise me at all!
this is the first year i've felt like this in a long time, but i feel like they have a legitimate shot!

Stephenk29
01-23-2008, 01:18 PM
He makes some good points.

Personally, I really wouldn't be surprised if we won the division or finished in last place. I can easily see both scenarios playing out. Glad to see an unbiased writer give us some love though. Hope we make him look like a genius.

AmarilloRed
01-23-2008, 01:19 PM
We probably don't have the starting pitching to win the division, but we can take a big step by being competitive and playing .500 ball.

mroby85
01-23-2008, 03:13 PM
We probably don't have the starting pitching to win the division, but we can take a big step by being competitive and playing .500 ball.

not that it matters, but here is my take on it...

I don't see anyone in the central that has a whole lot better pitching staff...

the reds wouldve won the division last year, if they hadn't blown so many games, enter francisco cordero. Burton came on strong at the end of the year, if affeldt doesn't work out in the rotation, he goes to the bullpen, and makes it stronger.

you have harang, and arroyo, which is the best 1-2 in the NL Central if not the entire NL. belisle is suitable, and there is a possibility of another stud out of volquez, bailey, or cueto.

I'm just saying, i may be biased, but i think they have a good shot this year.

Bip Roberts
01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
not that it matters, but here is my take on it...

I don't see anyone in the central that has a whole lot better pitching staff...

the reds wouldve won the division last year, if they hadn't blown so many games, enter francisco cordero. Burton came on strong at the end of the year, if affeldt doesn't work out in the rotation, he goes to the bullpen, and makes it stronger.

you have harang, and arroyo, which is the best 1-2 in the NL Central if not the entire NL. belisle is suitable, and there is a possibility of another stud out of volquez, bailey, or cueto.

I'm just saying, i may be biased, but i think they have a good shot this year.

Yea they are good but they arent that good.

LA, Arizona, and SD are better just off the top of my head.

OesterPoster
01-23-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm still concerned about the defensive liabilities of Junior and Dunn manning 2/3 of the outfield.

mroby85
01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Yea they are good but they arent that good.

LA, Arizona, and SD are better just off the top of my head.

the NL may have been a stretch, but the Central is what they have to win. They also have a much better offense than LA, Arizona, or SD.

dunner13
01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Because of our weak division we have a decent chance of winning the division. However unless volquez, bailey, cueto, bruce, votto, encarnacion, ross, burton all play up to their potential we do not have a team thats as strong as the best teams. But if you make the playoffs anything can happen and if a team gets hot like colorado last year they can go deep in the playoffs.

mroby85
01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
But if you make the playoffs anything can happen and if a team gets hot like colorado last year they can go deep in the playoffs.

EXACTLY! an even better example is st. louis a few years ago, they weren't even a very good baseball team!

SMcGavin
01-23-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm still concerned about the defensive liabilities of Junior and Dunn manning 2/3 of the outfield.

Yeah me too, but Bruce is supposedly going to be above average in CF. He's young and a great athlete. Also, our infield defense looks pretty good on paper. I think the level of ineptitude our defense has been at the past few years gets overlooked. But there is some hope. Especially once Griffey is gone and Bruce is off to RF - I could actually see our defense being good.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Listening to Marty Brennaman tonight on Reds Hot Stove League, MB said for the Reds to win the division everything had to fall just right. I'm also of that mindset. Until the Reds develop or trade for that ace, well, the Reds aren't quite there. Getting closer for sure, but as of today....not yet. On the other hand, an injury to Harang for any amount of time would be disastrous and could cause the team to fall as low as 5th place if not 6th for the season.

gedred69
01-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Everyone on this post makes good points. Fact is, the division is up for grabs and the Reds could easily win it or finish near the bottom. There are a lot of "ifs" to the Reds being successful, and then I remember the '90 team. Who coulda' thought. Can lightening strike again?

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 11:17 PM
It all depends on Bailey, Bruce, Votto and our bullpen being stronger. If those things work out we are going to be a very solid team. Of course thats a big if but stranger things have happened.