PDA

View Full Version : Mock Drafts

BEETTLEBUG
01-22-2008, 04:04 AM
Are their any mock drafts out by Fox or CBS sportsline or SI yet?

WVRed
01-22-2008, 07:07 AM
www.hailredskins.com

Yeah, its a Redskins site, but they have a huge mock draft database.

KoryMac5
01-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Of the 12 mock drafts that I sampled the consensus out there is that we will take Ellis with the 9th pick.

Ellis appeared 6 times.
Gholsten appeared twice.
Connor appeared 3 times.
Campbell appeared once.

Mock drafts are cool to look at, but most of the time after the first three or four picks they end up being way off target. However I would be happy with anyone of the four though.

Cedric
01-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Never draft Lb's early in the draft. This pick should be someone who puts his hand on the ground on all downs. No questions asked.

Bip Roberts
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Ellis is a freak and I would love to have him on our line.

CrackerJack
01-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Never draft Lb's early in the draft. This pick should be someone who puts his hand on the ground on all downs. No questions asked.

I agree unless an Urlacher happens to come around (which isn't the case this year).

My issue with the Bengals if they draft a tackle, is that they'll let someone like Whitworth go as soon as his contract comes up, as a result. So instead of building an improved and deep o-line, they basically stay about the same or become worse, because their strict salary cap philosophy is the worst in the business and has ruined them since free agency and the cap took over.

Eh, I just don't have any hope for this franchise no matter what they do, but, you have to keep calling them out at least.

KoryMac5
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Personally I would go for Campbell or Gholston, the one thing the Bengals have lacked for years has been a consistent pass rush from off the edge. Both of these guys would provide that. It really got frustrating watching the opposing quaterback have all day back their. Honestly when is the last time the Bengals had a dominant pass rusher that teams feared.

bucksfan2
01-24-2008, 08:23 AM

I disagree. Urlacher, who was a S in college, has been a very solid pick. A guy like Partic Willis would look great as a bengal and he came from a similar spot to where the benglas pick. IMO that a DT is a far riskier pick than a LB especially high in the draft.

Cedric
01-25-2008, 12:30 AM
I disagree. Urlacher, who was a S in college, has been a very solid pick. A guy like Partic Willis would look great as a bengal and he came from a similar spot to where the benglas pick. IMO that a DT is a far riskier pick than a LB especially high in the draft.

Sure it's less risky. The problem is that a LB like Patrick Willis becomes virtually a waste without a productive Dline in front of him. The Bengals drafting a LB right now would not turn this defense around. Mike Brown tried that route with Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons and it failed miserably. The Bengals MUST get a play maker at DE and somehow get help in the interior of the Dline. Without that you are just wasting talent behind it.

texasdave
01-25-2008, 02:50 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/23/mock.draft1.part1/index.html

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 10:25 AM
The 49ers have a productive D line?

Screwball
01-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Of the 12 mock drafts that I sampled the consensus out there is that we will take Ellis with the 9th pick.

Ellis appeared 6 times.
Gholsten appeared twice.
Connor appeared 3 times.
Campbell appeared once.

Mock drafts are cool to look at, but most of the time after the first three or four picks they end up being way off target. However I would be happy with anyone of the four though.

Yep. At this time last year everybody and their brother had us taking Amobe Okoye with the 18th pick. Yet, after a solid combine and the help of the media's hype machine, Okoye went 10th overall to the Texans.

Basically, I like to use mock drafts to learn about players I never followed in college football. Some sites give excellent information concerning strengths, weaknesses, character, etc., but I put little to no stock into where they have each player going.

Redhook
01-27-2008, 07:57 AM
My wife and her family are huge Missouri fans so I got to see them play quite a bit last year. I was very impressed with TE Martin Rucker. I would like to see him wearing Orange and Black later this year. It looks like he's being projected as a 2nd round pick. I was hoping they could get him in round 3, but I doubt he lasts that long. I still think the Bengals need defense in the 2nd round, but if Rucker is there he'd solve the Bengals perpetual problem of not having a pass-catching TE. He's good. Really good. What do you do?

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Yep. At this time last year everybody and their brother had us taking Amobe Okoye with the 18th pick. Yet, after a solid combine and the help of the media's hype machine, Okoye went 10th overall to the Texans.

Basically, I like to use mock drafts to learn about players I never followed in college football. Some sites give excellent information concerning strengths, weaknesses, character, etc., but I put little to no stock into where they have each player going.

After the top 10 it gets exponentially harder to predict. So many what ifs are in involved

joshnky
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
The latest Yahoo mock has the following:

9. Cincinnati (7-9)
The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami*
The buzz: The Bengals defense gives up too many big passes, and Marvin Lewis needs a playmaker at free safety.

For what its worth Gholston and Ellis were both off the board and Rivers went a pick later. Any thoughts?

Redhook
02-05-2008, 11:34 AM

For what its worth Gholston and Ellis were both off the board and Rivers went a pick later. Any thoughts?

They desperately need someone in the trenches that can get to the quarterback.

XU Lou
02-15-2008, 01:43 PM

That is the typical prognositication from an "expert" that does no homework. The DB area is the least (relative term) of the concerns on defense.

WMR
02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
More DBs?!?!?! Argh. :bang: :bang: :bang:

joshnky
02-20-2008, 12:17 PM
I rank the Bengals needs as follows:

1) DE
2) DT
3) S
4) LB
5) TE
6) WR (There isn't much beyond the big 3 and can you count of Chad and Henry?)
7) RB (We can't possibly draft another RB but unfortunately its currently a big ?)

Anyway, it is starting to look like the top tier DE and DT will all be gone by the time the Bengals pick. The safeties and linebackers in this class don't seem too stellar and can be had in later rounds. What should the Bengals do? I'm sure they want to trade down but that isn't always realistic and this team has too many holes to trade away picks to move up. Do they reach for a DE (say Campbell) or try to fill another need? I was thinking about this considering the WR position and the fact that Malcolm Kelly and Desean Jackson will certainly be available. I know we need defense but what if there isn't an impact defensive player available?

I'm not sure if I even think its a good idea but this draft has me worried that we'll reach for a second tier defensive player to fill a need when a similar player could be had later.

WVRed
02-20-2008, 06:20 PM
More DBs?!?!?! Argh. :bang: :bang: :bang:

I like the pick, even though it doesn't address the biggest need. Phillips is a Miami safety, which more or less speaks for itself.

That being said, Kiper has the Bengals taking Phillip Merling, who is being ranked by many as a fringe 1st/2nd rounder.

bucksfan2
02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I like the pick, even though it doesn't address the biggest need. Phillips is a Miami safety, which more or less speaks for itself.

That being said, Kiper has the Bengals taking Phillip Merling, who is being ranked by many as a fringe 1st/2nd rounder.

This is the thing that always gets me. I really think you take who you think is the best player. I find it funny when the "experts" riddicule a team for taking a player out of "slot". I also find it interesting when describing a player who thay say is ready to step in and play right away and play for a long time as only a mid to late first rounder.

Draft rankings are about as inperfect of as science as there is out there. If the rakings are so good then there wouldn't be first round busts and you wouldn't find diamons in the rough in the later rounds. I also find it ironic that some of the best defensive players in the game today weren't top 10 picks (Lewis, Reed, Merriman, Bob Sanders, etc.).

Revering4Blue
03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
http://www.gbnreport.com/2008projection.html

http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm

Revering4Blue
03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Here's another link to several mock drafts.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/

Screwball
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Here's another link to several mock drafts.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/

Interesting. Their main mock draft has the Bengals taking Dorsey at #9. Man, how badass would that be?!

WMR
03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I would soil my pants.

Screwball
03-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Here's another one that has Dorsey still available at #9 and the Bengals taking him. It was updated Monday, March 3.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Bengals fans will jump for joy if both the Falcons and Raiders eschew drafting a defensive tackle. That's because neither Glenn Dorsey nor Sedrick Ellis will go sixth, seventh or eighth - they don't fit in the 3-4 - so Cincinnati will have the opportunity to take the guy who doesn't go to Kansas City.

I know Dorsey has major injury issues, but I don't think he makes it past the Bengals, especially after they lost out in the Shaun Rogers sweepstakes. Cincinnati ranked 24th versus the run and managed just 22 sacks in 2007, and I think it's safe to say that adding a monstrous defensive tackle like Dorsey to the front four would vastly improve both of those statistics.