PDA

View Full Version : Thurman Update

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Suspended LB Odell Thurman expects the NFL decide on his bid for reinstatement within "a few weeks."
Thurman has been "working out, trying to get ready mentally and physically for the season." The Bengals would catch a huge break if he's allowed back in the league. Thurman has Pro Bowl-caliber skills for a middle linebacker.

If he stays clean I'm all for giving a guy another chance. Especially when it comes to drugs and stuff of the like.

Cedric
01-26-2008, 02:56 AM
This is one situation I trust Marvin and Zimmer on (surprise I know). I don't think the staff would let Odell back in a major role unless they were pretty sure he is over the drug and law problems. The worst thing that would happen is the Bengals trusting and relying on Odell if he's still a loose cannon.

Bip Roberts
01-26-2008, 03:00 AM
If he is over his drug problems im all for letting the guy back. Would be a little nice if we knew why he wasnt let back the 1st time.

SeeinRed
01-26-2008, 11:47 AM
I think him not being able to play this year was more of a statement by a new commish wanting to show he will not tolerate players who can't behave than about something he did to not warrant his reinstatement. By all accounts he did what he was asked to do. Thats just my personal view. I hate that it was at the cost of the Bengals, but I like the statement. Now he better back that up with other players instead of just using Odell as an example. Vick would be the first one that comes to mind.

Bip Roberts
01-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I think him not being able to play this year was more of a statement by a new commish wanting to show he will not tolerate players who can't behave than about something he did to not warrant his reinstatement. By all accounts he did what he was asked to do. Thats just my personal view. I hate that it was at the cost of the Bengals, but I like the statement. Now he better back that up with other players instead of just using Odell as an example. Vick would be the first one that comes to mind.

He had his chance with a lot of players. Jared Allen being the main one

CTA513
01-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Bengals.com just posted that Thurman as been cleared to work out at Paul Brown Stadium.

Thurman cleared for workouts

January 26, 2008
Posted: 1:45 p.m.

Linebacker Odell Thurman has been cleared by the NFL to train and work out at the Bengals' Paul Brown Stadium facilities while he pursues possible reinstatement from an NFL suspension.

Thurman was not on the Bengals roster in 2006 or 2007, due to a suspension for violations of the league's Substance Abuse Policy.

"Odell remains on the league's suspended list, and it remains to be seen whether he will be able to meet the conditions for reinstatement," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. "If he is reinstated, he will then have to earn the confidence of our management and coaching staff that he is ready to compete for a roster spot as an active member of our team. In the meantime, he is allowed to work out with our strength and conditioning and our training staffs."

Thurman reported to Paul Brown Stadium late this past week to check in with Bengals staff, and he will be working at the facility in days to come. Per team policy regarding players on suspension, he is not cleared to do interviews with news media.

Thurman, from the University of Georgia, was Cincinnati's second-round choice in the 2005 NFL Draft. He played in every Bengals game in 2005, starting 16 of 17 games (including postseason), and he led the team in the regular season with 148 tackles. He also led the team in forced fumbles (four), and his five interceptions led NFL rookies while tying the Bengals rookie INT record.

No timetable has been announced by the NFL regarding Thurman's possible reinstatement.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6610

Bip Roberts
01-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Consider me kind of excited. He seemed like a good guy, always smiling and just had a abuse problem. Hope he really turns it around.

Matt700wlw
01-26-2008, 02:41 PM
If he can get back to form, he could be a huge kick in the rear for this defense....

A 3-4 may not be out of the question either, in that case...

Landon, Odell, Brooks, Geathers (I think he could be a beast as a DE/OLB tweener type)....and if (big if) Pollack can return, he could get some reps as well...and keep Dhani Jones around as well...he could even be a starter!

Not a bad squad...and it has depth!

Bip Roberts
01-26-2008, 02:46 PM
I think Geathers could be a very very good guy in a 3-4, not really my unique opinion though.

I expect the D to stay 4-3 but they will do 3-4 from time to time just to keep the opponents offense thinking.

Redhook
01-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Who knows if he'll be the player he was a couple of years ago, but depth is much needed on this team, especially at linebacker.

Could you imagine the possibility of Thurman and Pollack playing on the same field again? It's hard to fathom, but I hope it happens because either story could inspire someone to turn their life around for the better.

KoryMac5
01-26-2008, 08:07 PM
If he can get back to form, he could be a huge kick in the rear for this defense....

A 3-4 may not be out of the question either, in that case...

Landon, Odell, Brooks, Geathers (I think he could be a beast as a DE/OLB tweener type)....and if (big if) Pollack can return, he could get some reps as well...and keep Dhani Jones around as well...he could even be a starter!

Not a bad squad...and it has depth!

With Odell it really is going to depend on what kind of shape he is in. Was he working out 5 or 6 days a week or was he just going through the motions. I think Marvin will start him out on special teams and than see how he develops. Two years for a football player is a long time to be out. His position may help him get back up to speed and starting fresh with Zimmer may help as well.

Bip Roberts
01-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I remember the last time I saw pictures of Odell I barely noticed him. Guy was getting pretty fat. I just hope the guy is clean more than anything. Hes still very very young and played at such a high level his rookie year it would be a shame for drugs to end up ruining his life more than it already has.

wheels
01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
He's....What? 24 0r 25?

That's pretty young. He would have to be considered a major upgrade.

Bip Roberts
01-26-2008, 10:14 PM
He's....What? 24 0r 25?

That's pretty young. He would have to be considered a major upgrade.

Hes 25 and hes still only had 1 year of NFL wear and tear on his body.

guttle11
01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
It would be like getting a steal of an undrafted free agent. If it works, awesome. If not, you lose nothing off the current team.

Reds Freak
01-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I'll believe it when I see it, I still remain skeptical of seeing Thurman in a Bengal uniform again. If I were the Bengals I wouldn't count on him to contribute again, which is what I think they did last year and along with the injuries decimated their LB corps. If he does come back to form, great but I'm not expecting him to and it doesn't sound like Marvin has any interest in handing a spot to him when he gets back...

Danny Serafini
01-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Looks like I may be able to wear my Odell Thurman jersey again for more than just comedy value. That wasn't one of the better purchases I've made.

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 02:03 AM
I bought a Anthony Schlegel uni just because I cant imagine anyone else having one

camisadelgolf
01-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I bought a Anthony Schlegel uni just because I cant imagine anyone else having one

Isn't it technically illegal to make an Anthony Schlegel Bengals jersey? If not, I want to find someone who can make an Ethan Kilmer jersey for me.

Highlifeman21
01-27-2008, 12:15 PM
2 years away is a long time not to be in game shape.

Should prove interesting to see what kind of rust he'll have if he's allowed back.

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Isn't it technically illegal to make an Anthony Schlegel Bengals jersey? If not, I want to find someone who can make an Ethan Kilmer jersey for me.

You can make any name on a uni you want at the NFLshop.com

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 02:42 PM
2 years away is a long time not to be in game shape.

Should prove interesting to see what kind of rust he'll have if he's allowed back.

I think with a young guy its not going to matter as much. I think of a Josh Hamilton type scenario.

Hoosier Red
01-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Can't wait to see the overall fan's reactions to Thurman coming back.
I'm excited for him, hopefully he's gotten his life together, or at least as much as is possible.

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 02:49 PM
It will be a shame if people dont welcome him back. Its not like he was out there doing Chris Henry things. Well he didnt get in trouble for them if he was.

camisadelgolf
01-27-2008, 04:24 PM
You can make any name on a uni you want at the NFLshop.com

For some reason, I thought it was illegal to have an NFL jersey with a player's actual name and number on it unless it was already made. I thought it had something to do with licensing from the NFLPA.

GoReds33
01-27-2008, 04:53 PM
For some reason, I thought it was illegal to have an NFL jersey with a player's actual name and number on it unless it was already made. I thought it had something to do with licensing from the NFLPA.They're $100 for a replica, and $260 for an authentic if I'm reading the site right. That doesn't sound bad. I was thinking, because of some of the concerns you mentioned, they might be really expensive.

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 05:14 PM
For some reason, I thought it was illegal to have an NFL jersey with a player's actual name and number on it unless it was already made. I thought it had something to do with licensing from the NFLPA.

Nope you can do what ever you want. Just like on the MLB site you just have to custom order it.

Yachtzee
01-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Nope you can do what ever you want. Just like on the MLB site you just have to custom order it.

Just don't try to order a Falcons jersey with "Ron Mexico" on the back. ;)

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Just don't try to order a Falcons jersey with "Ron Mexico" on the back. ;)

Can you not order one?

Yachtzee
01-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Can you not order one?

The rule on customized jerseys is that you can't order one with offensive words on the back. After the whole "Ron Mexico" incident involving Michael Vick and a woman he was seeing, a number of people started ordering "#7 Mexico" Falcons jerseys. The NFL found that to be to controversial and started canceling orders for such a jersey. I suspect they'd do the same if you attempted to order a Steelers jersey with "Toothlessberger" on the back.

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 12:10 AM
The rule on customized jerseys is that you can't order one with offensive words on the back. After the whole "Ron Mexico" incident involving Michael Vick and a woman he was seeing, a number of people started ordering "#7 Mexico" Falcons jerseys. The NFL found that to be to controversial and started canceling orders for such a jersey. I suspect they'd do the same if you attempted to order a Steelers jersey with "Toothlessberger" on the back.

:bowrofl:

Cedric
01-28-2008, 01:39 AM

Could always order an authentic jersey and ask for no name on the back. Then you go and have it custom made with Toothlessberger on the back. I think that would be extremely juvenile but I wouldn't be surprised to see some drunk idiot do it.

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 01:43 AM
Could always order an authentic jersey and ask for no name on the back. Then you go and have it custom made with Toothlessberger on the back. I think that would be extremely juvenile but I wouldn't be surprised to see some drunk idiot do it.

Football fans being juvenile?

Cedric
01-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Football fans being juvenile?

Shocking as hell, I know.

Danny Serafini
01-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Ron Mexico is specifically banned. There was a discussion about what you can't put on a jersey a while back.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32201&highlight=randall+gay+jersey

Someone wanted to put Gay on the back of a jersey because she was a Randall Gay fan, and the league website blocked it. That led to a story where somebody hacked into the league website and found the list of things you couldn't put on a jersey, and some wacky stuff that would get through the system. If you're offended by language, stay as far away from that link as you possibly can. It took some creative people in the league office to come up with everything they banned from the back of jerseys. :laugh:

Yachtzee
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Ron Mexico is specifically banned. There was a discussion about what you can't put on a jersey a while back.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32201&highlight=randall+gay+jersey

Someone wanted to put Gay on the back of a jersey because she was a Randall Gay fan, and the league website blocked it. That led to a story where somebody hacked into the league website and found the list of things you couldn't put on a jersey, and some wacky stuff that would get through the system. If you're offended by language, stay as far away from that link as you possibly can. It took some creative people in the league office to come up with everything they banned from the back of jerseys. :laugh:

I thought it was funny that they banned HE HATE ME, but not SHE HATE ME (I've actually seen a Bengals jersey with SHE HATE ME, but I don't know if that was an "official" jersey or not). GAY is off the list, which makes sense, since Randall Gay and Ben Gay have both played in the NFL.

I've seen pictures of people getting creative with the new Bengals license plate, using the "B" from the Bengals logo followed by letters that spell something naughty. I think it's a matter of time before the state bans license plates with words like "ITCHES" and "EOTCH" from the vanity plate list.

Danny Serafini
01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Haven't seen that yet, though I did see a University of Michigan plate where the block M logo was followed by "ORONS".

sonny
02-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I recently saw an Ohio State block "O" plate with "fer 2" on it. it made me chuckle, then cry a little.

CTA513
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Heres some recent pictures of Thurman that were posted on the Bengals.com forums:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g205/CTA513/odellthurman.jpg

It looks like he got himself in pretty good shape after missing 2 seasons.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
As long as hes still fast

Matt700wlw
03-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Heres some recent pictures of Thurman that were posted on the Bengals.com forums:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g205/CTA513/odellthurman.jpg

It looks like he got himself in pretty good shape after missing 2 seasons.

And some new tattoos....unless those were already there :dunno:

savafan
03-03-2008, 09:42 PM
A co-worker of mine said that Thurman hit on her at a club last weekend, and that he was openly smoking marijuana with two drinks in his hand at the time. I didn't witness it myself, so take it for what it's worth.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
A co-worker of mine said that Thurman hit on her at a club last weekend, and that he was openly smoking marijuana with two drinks in his hand at the time. I didn't witness it myself, so take it for what it's worth.

Is she good looking?

savafan
03-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Is she good looking?

She's not unattractive.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
She's not unattractive.

Well im only asking because if she was a dog I might believe he was working some beer goggles

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQbFlZJg8lY&NR=1

Hopefully we get to see some more of this this year.

KoryMac5
03-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I probably wouldn't say this to him face to face, but he looks a bit soft in those pics. Far from being in game shape, I guess that's what a 2 yr layoff does to a guy.

Oxilon
03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Honestly, I think Thurman's always "looked soft." Even when he came into the NFL, he really never struck me as a guy who's been incredibly ripped or anything. I think he's just always been in solid shape (for NFL standards) but always had incredible talent to back it up with.
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/06/05/thurmanx.jpg

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Yea hes always had that fat top half look

CTA513
04-21-2008, 03:30 PM
No official announcement yet, but his cousin says that hes been reinstated.

CTA513
04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Its official now:

NFL taps Thurman
By GEOFF HOBSON
April 21, 2008

Updated: 4 p.m.

The Bengals announced Monday that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell informed the club middle linebacker Odell Thurman has been reinstated after a two-year exile for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"Odell has met the NFL's conditions for reinstatement and has been added to our offseason roster," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis in a press release. "It is now up to Odell to continue to meet all NFL guidelines, and to maintain a standard of personal responsibility that will allow him the chance to compete for a spot on our team."

It means Thurman will be on the field for the spring camps in May and June for the first time since Goodell suspended him for four games in July of 2006 for violations of the substance abuse policy.

Goodell turned it into the entire year two months later when Thurman was arrested Sept. 25 on a DUI. Then for reasons he didn't make public because of the policy's privacy guidelies, Goodell didn't reinstate him for the 2007 season.

Late this January, Thurman, 24, was allowed back into Paul Brown Stadium to work out. But he hasn't played in a game since 2005, when he emerged as a leading Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate with a team-high 148 tackles and four forced fumbles to go with five interceptions that led all rookies.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6734

sonny
04-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Glad to have him back, from a football standpoint.

But, mostly I hope he's grown as a person.

guttle11
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Assuming he's grown and devoted to his career, this is basically a free 1st/2nd round draft pick for this year. He'll be a "tremendous upside" once again.

Hopefully he's over his trouble first and foremost, and after that hopefully his tank is still quite full.

Screwball
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and get way ahead of myself and imagine a Brooks, Thurman, Jeanty LB corps. Now that's actually something to be feared.

Oxilon
04-22-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and get way ahead of myself and imagine a Brooks, Thurman, Jeanty LB corps. Now that's actually something to be feared.

Now that's something I keep hearing now, but I'm not buying it. This may seem like a 'glass half empty' look, but when I see Brooks, Thurman, and Jeanty lined up next too each other, I see an underachiever, a player whos 2 years removed from playing a NFL down, and an ex CFL linebacker; nothing an opposing team will fear.

Redhook
04-22-2008, 07:59 AM

A lot of potential, but you can't count on any of them. They all have issues in one way shape or form.