PDA

View Full Version : Neurologist Question

SeeinRed
01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
My mother recently found out that she may have Multiple Sclerosis. She had an MRI because of some neck and shoulder pain. They found some black areas around the nerve endings that are consistent with what you would see with MS and the doctor told her he was 99 percent sure thats what it is. Of course, she is devestated and scared, as is my whole family. From what I hear, even a diagnosis of MS doesn't mean the images a lot of people are familiar with. It could just end up staying the way it is now and not getting worse or it could get really bad really quickly. Most likely somewhere in between. We aren't even sure that is what the diagnosis will be yet. It could very well end up being something a lot less scary. Either way, its a new frontier.

To the question. She is being referred to a neurologist. We haven't heard anything about him, but he specializes in MS. Just wondering if anybody has had any expirences with him. His name is Robert L. Reed and he is with Riverhills Health Care. Thank you.

jimbo
01-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I can't answer your question, but I have a cousin who, at age 38, got diagnosed with MS last year. You are correct in how some of the images we have of that disease are not always accurate. My cousin is still able to work and pretty much leads a normal everyday life. Now, it's now all roses all of the time as she does have days where she struggles to just get out of bed.

They have made some great medical breakthroughs on MS over the last 10 years, and my cousin has responded well to her treatments. She faces a tough road, but with support and the proper treatments, she should live a fullfilling life.

I wish the best for your mother.

Allegro
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I do not know the doctor that you mentioned. My Dad was diagnosed with MS in 1989. At the time he was a 53 year old surgeon. He retired due to Insurance worries (he could not get anyone to insure him because of the MS.) Since then, he has gone on to earn a Phd in Medical Ethics, start his own consulting business and continue with life unabated. He has done very well with MS. He has a scooter that he taked on trips, but still walks around on his own power. He also swims about 3 times a week. he is as active as about any 72 year old I know. He still works at least 6 hours a day. Living a full life with MS is definitely possible.

bucksfan2
01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
SeeinRed I don't know how old your mother is, or for you that matter, but my mom was diagnosed with MS 8 years ago at the age of 44. She has only had one relapse (when I was due to graduate from HS) during her entire time with MS. I believe that relapses come about during real stressful situations but other than that she has been pretty healthy. She is on medication and her only physical problems with the disease occurs when she is physically tired she can drag her leg a little bit. She has stayed pretty active but can't walk any more than 3-4 miles at a time.

From my experiences I have realized that it isn't a death sentance and most people can go about living the same type of lifestyle they did before. If anything my mom has become healthier due to the changes she has made with her diet and such. IIRC Mike Remlinger has pitched in the majors with this condition. Other than having to give her a shot every week she has not had any problems with the disease. I have heard that some people with MS have a tough time with the disease around the holidays and stressful time but my family has not experienced that.

SeeinRed
01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks to everyone with their concerns and letting me know about personal expierences. The more I learn about it, the more I see that in most cases the life expectancy is that of a normal person and in a lot of cases they live normal lives. They just have the pain and relapses to deal with. Thats encouraging. You hear MS and you think the worst. For those who don't know a whole lot about the disease, here is the Wikipedia Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_sclerosis).

redsfanmia
01-29-2008, 05:08 PM
My sister was diagnosed 20 years ago around the age of 21 or 22 and she has steadily declined to the point where she is now in a wheel chair. She fluctuated from being able to walk fine to being on a walker/cane to being unable to move for weeks at a time. MS is an odd disease it seems to affect every differently, I know 5 or 6 people with MS and it doesnt affect any of them the same way. I wish your Mother the best.