PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Video Game of All Time

Caveat Emperor
02-01-2008, 09:07 PM
The "Unofficial Video Game System Thread" has drawn a large number of contributors -- so I figured I'd throw this question out there for the weekend:

What is your favorite video game of all time?

Like the classics? Prefer the new school? Is it a game that you can keep picking up and playing over and over again? Or a game that had a story that drew you in?

I guess you can go Top 3 if you really are having trouble deciding.

Ltlabner
02-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Commodore 64 games:

Raid over Moscow
Summer Olympics
Gulf Strike

Mostly my favorites due to the C64 being my first computer, and many long hours of Jr. High School and High-School years spent in front of the monitor.

I liked Gulf Strike the best, and spent many hours doing full olympic games with all available players, but the thrill of finally beating Raid Over Moscow for the first time still warms the heart.

Falls City Beer
02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
River Raid

nate
02-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Myth II: Soulblighter

sonny
02-01-2008, 09:50 PM
The Oregon Trail. Except when "Jesus" dies of typhoid.

pahster
02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm cheating and naming five, two of which are series.

Mass Effect
Mario Kart (series)
Knights of the Old Republic
Quest for Glory (series)
The Longest Journey

deltachi8
02-01-2008, 10:24 PM
SNK(?) Baseball for NES
Galaxian
Intellivision Baseball
Airport Mogul
Pac Man

dsmith421
02-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Tecmo Super Bowl for SNES. Accept no substitutes.

pedro
02-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Intellivision baseball

WMR
02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
I'll hafta put some real thought into this one... the first videogame that gave me real "WOW" moments, however, was Final Fantasy VII for the PlayStation. Damn that game kicked ass.

redsfanmia
02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
The original John Madden football for sega genisis
Tommy Lasorda Baseball for sega genisis
Galaga and Mat Mania arcade
Baseball stars for Nintindo
Pitfall II for atari

Cyclone792
02-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3

There's been some other great ones, but that one sits at the top.

WMR
02-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3

There's been some other great ones, but that one sits at the top.

Funny story about that game...

when it first came out, I was in elementary school...

I had a buddy who was coming over to spend the night and play video games...

The copy of that game was ALWAYS checked out from the local video store...

My mom picked us up from school and she was like, "Guess what video game I found and rented for you guys?"

We screamed, in unison, "SUPER MARIO BROTHERS 3!!!!!!!"

:lol:

It was quite exciting. :laugh:

Brutus_the_Red
02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy 3 (3 in the US, 6 in Japan)
Kingdom Hearts
Half-Life 2
and of course...

World of Warcraft...

a bunch of Square games and an MMORPG. I'm a huge nerd.

OldRightHander
02-01-2008, 11:42 PM

Well, that didn't exactly make me feel younger.

sonny
02-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Actually, I have been addicted to MLB the Show '07 for a whole year. I guess it will be my favorite until '08 rears it's gorgeous head.

OldRightHander
02-01-2008, 11:49 PM
River Raid

I spent hours playing that when it first came out, I think on an old Atari 2600. I had a blast with that system when I was a kid. I remember the hockey game especially. You could practically score a goal every second or two on that one. I think we used to play Combat more than anything though.

Now when I do play games I'm into sports games or some of the historical based shooters like the Call of Duty games based in WWII. I only play them when I'm on the road. When I'm home I'm either on here or just unwinding before I go back out.

westofyou
02-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Intellivision Baseball
Quake 2 The Reckoning

WMR
02-01-2008, 11:57 PM
The Space Quest computer game series are probably my favorite games of all-time.

Anybody else out there play Space Quest?

A real shame Sierra loused up keeping the franchise going.

Yachtzee
02-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I'll put another vote in for Intellivision Baseball

Others include:

Nintendo:
SNK Baseball Stars
Tecmo Bowl
Sidepocket
Castlevania

PS1:
Parasite Eve I and II
Metal Gear Solid

XBox 360:
Guitar Hero II
Rock Band
Tiger Woods Golf 08

Also, on my PC over the years, I wasted a lot of time playing Sim City and Civilization in grad school. They were popular among the political science/public admin. majors.

Revering4Blue
02-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Just about anything on my favorite system of all time...The Atari 5200.

Among my favorites: Blueprint, Gorf, Wizard of War and Pitfall.

My favorite Arcade game---Satan's Hollow.

Yachtzee
02-02-2008, 12:08 AM
The Space Quest computer game series are probably my favorite games of all-time.

Anybody else out there play Space Quest?

A real shame Sierra loused up keeping the franchise going.

For a second there, I thought you were referring to Space Ace, the arcade game. I was always partial to Dragon's Lair, myself. All the kids at the arcade had a crush on Princess Daphne.

westofyou
02-02-2008, 12:09 AM
I have a 3do machine from when my wife worked at Crystal Dynamics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Dynamics

WMR
02-02-2008, 12:14 AM
For a second there, I thought you were referring to Space Ace, the arcade game. I was always partial to Dragon's Lair, myself. All the kids at the arcade had a crush on Princess Daphne.

Yeah, those laserdisc games were so "revolutionary." Haha.

Really good wiki on Space Quest and Sierra On-line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Quest

Damn Sierra used to kick ass.

Space Quest, King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest...

OldRightHander
02-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, those laserdisc games were so "revolutionary." Haha.

Actually, they were in a way. I think I was in high school when Dragon's Lair came out and it was really unlike anything else I had seen up to that point. I never played it much because of the long lines and when I did play it I never got that far.

AmarilloRed
02-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Civilization 2 for the PS1. I am anxiously awaiting the new Civilization game for the PS3.

Ravenlord
02-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Civilization III
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
Pirates! Gold

KronoRed
02-02-2008, 01:37 AM

I had a buddy who was coming over to spend the night and play video games...

The copy of that game was ALWAYS checked out from the local video store...

My mom picked us up from school and she was like, "Guess what video game I found and rented for you guys?"

We screamed, in unison, "SUPER MARIO BROTHERS 3!!!!!!!"

:lol:

It was quite exciting. :laugh:

My Mom almost got into a fist fight with a woman over the last copy Toys R Us had on release day.

Good times.

Where the heck is Tecmo Super Bowl in here? :D

Patrick Bateman
02-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2

*BaseClogger*
02-02-2008, 02:19 AM
N64: 007 Goldeneye
Mario Kart
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Xbox: Halo 2
MVP Baseball 2005

Xbox360: COD4
Halo 3

Degenerate39
02-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Super Nintendo- Super Mario Brothers 3
N64- Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball
PS2- SOCOM
PS3- currently Call of Duty 4

MrCinatit
02-02-2008, 07:28 AM
SimCity 4. Old game, but I still love it.
MVP 2005. With the continual modifications, it continues to seem new. Classics Gold is remarkable.
the Half Life series. The second is remarkable.
The Thief series. Garret rocks.
Bioshock. Yowzer.

RollyInRaleigh
02-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Galaxian
Tiger Woods PGA Tour

SunDeck
02-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Pong.
My parents wouldn't buy any video games after that first generation console.
I may have missed out a big chunk of something but I did love that Pong.

RFS62
02-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Three minutes of hand cramping basketball warfare. The Atari 2600 graphics were primitive, but the game action on this one was awesome.

http://www.atariage.com/includes/scaleim.php?path=/2600/screenshots/s_Basketball_1.png&nwidth=200

Heath
02-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Three minutes of hand cramping basketball warfare. The Atari 2600 graphics were primitive, but the game action on this one was awesome.

http://www.atariage.com/includes/scaleim.php?path=/2600/screenshots/s_Basketball_1.png&nwidth=200

I'm impressed that you had color television, RFS.

Don't forget Brick Out, Astroids, & the original Techmo Bowl with Bo Jackson and the Los Angeles Raiders.

And another vote for Intellivision baseball. There's a whole row of handheld cheapie video games at Wal-Mart of the Plug and Play variety. I always look for Intellivision.

Falls City Beer
02-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Missile Command
SNES Castlevania (the first one I guess--I only ever owned one)--played the hell out of this in my dissertation year. A real anxiety release.

kbrake
02-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Goldeneye
Twisted Metal 2

Ltlabner
02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Oh yea, the zork text adventures on the C64 were pretty fun too.

After last night's post I looked up the C64 games I mentioned and found emulators for them, and pictures of the graphics.

I seem to remember the graphics beeing way, way, way cooler than that. Frankly, the clock radio in my car has better graphics than the C64 apparently had. :confused:

Dom Heffner
02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I would be lying if I said anything other than Tecmo Bowl.

Holy cow, I could command that run and shoot offense of the Houston Oilers. Duncan, Jeffires, Givens, and Hill.

Mercy. :)

*BaseClogger*
02-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Wow I forgot about the original Halo on the Xbox. That was one sweet campaign mode. I wish they would have followed through with that movie they were gonna make...

namichael
02-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Here are my favs broken down by console.

NES
-Super Mario Brothers
-Contra (I still remember he code to get 30 lives)
-Super Mario Brothers 3
-Bases Loaded 2

SNES
-Super Mario World
-Super Mario Kart
-Super Return of the Jedi
-NBA Jam

PS1
-Resident Evil
-Driver
-Silent Hill
-Soul Reaver

N64
-Mario Kart 64
-Paper Mario
-Goldeneye

Game Cube
-Mario Kart Double Dash
-Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

PS2
-Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2004
-Gun
-Guitar Hero 2

Wii
-Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
-Super Mario Galaxy
-MLB Power Pros

These are my favs off the top of my head w/o going back through the catalogue.

Sabo Fan
02-02-2008, 01:35 PM
A Boy and his Blob for the NES. Hardest game ever.
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 and Deion Sanders Prime Time Football '95 for the Sega Genesis
Any Spinter Cell games and MVP 2005 for the X-Box

SteelSD
02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
The original Star Wars arcade game (wire-frame graphics) is quite easily my all-time favorite. After not playing it since my HS years, I found that Nintendo packed it into the Rebel Strike: Rogue Squadron III preview disc for the GameCube. Score!

Others by system (only those I've owned):

Odyssey2: Quest for the Rings
N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64
GameBoy Advance: Breath of Fire, Advance Wars
Nintendo DS: Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Dreamcast: Shenmue, PowerStone
Playstation 1: Wipeout XL, Spyro the Dragon
Playstation 2: Guitar Hero II, God of War
Playstation 3: Rock Band
PC: Doom

Stephenk29
02-02-2008, 02:16 PM
PS3- currently Call of Duty 4

I've never played it myself but my roommate has it, and he plays about 7 hours a day it seems. Game looks sick.

Goldeneye
RBI Baseball
Techmo Super Bowl
I played NCAA March Madness for about 2 straight years (no lie)

TC81190
02-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Smash Bros. Melee
MVP Baseball 2005

OUReds
02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
The Civilization series (currently Civ4)
Street Fighter 2 (in all its incarnations)
X-Com: UFO defense

Caveat Emperor
02-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I'll weigh in with my own selections:

1. Xenogears (PS1) - The only game I've ever played with a "page turner" stoyline.

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) - The last great side-scrolling platformer.

3. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES) - The best of the Zelda games. Top-down view action in all of its 16-bit glory.

4. Chrono Trigger (SNES) - Time travel fun and a soundtrack I can still hum songs from.

5. River City Ransom (NES) - Beat up people. Take money. Shop at mall. Rescue girlfriends trapped in local school. How much better does life get?

Honorable mentions:
- Final Fantsy VI
- Crystalis
- Tecmo Super Bowl
- Super Mario World
- Goldeneye

*BaseClogger*
02-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm dissapointed in the lack of representation from some more modern games. Most of the stuff you guys are naming are at least 15 years old!

pahster
02-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm dissapointed in the lack of representation from some more modern games. Most of the stuff you guys are naming are at least 15 years old!

Newer does not necessarily equal better, though my list tilts a bit more towards the former.

*BaseClogger*
02-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Newer does not necessarily equal better, though my list tilts a bit more towards the former.

I understand that, but it seems like there is too much respect being given to the old games and not enough to the new ones...

WMR
02-02-2008, 06:22 PM
It's called nostalgia, my friend.

Falls City Beer
02-02-2008, 06:25 PM
It's called nostalgia, my friend.

In my case, it's called not being familiar with what's currently popular.

In other words, it's called "encroaching middle age."

Sean_CaseyRules
02-02-2008, 06:28 PM
1. Starcraft. - I can't believe that this game hasn't been mentioned. This is my all-time favorite game!

2. Resident Evil 2. - Many hours spent trying to find keys, and scared to walk past windows, just in case of a licker!

3. Guitar Hero (series). - I've owned all 3 games, and love them all!

KronoRed
02-02-2008, 09:26 PM

Im my opinion as someone who plays a bunch of games, newer games go for style and "OH WOW" graphics over game play, older games weren't going to look anywhere near real so they concentrated on making the game play better, to me that's a lot more fun.

Ravenlord
02-02-2008, 09:33 PM
X-Com: UFO defense

oh how could i ever forget the glory of X-Com...Terror From the Deep and Apocalypse are great too.

Yachtzee
02-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Im my opinion as someone who plays a bunch of games, newer games go for style and "OH WOW" graphics over game play, older games weren't going to look anywhere near real so they concentrated on making the game play better, to me that's a lot more fun.

Yeah, I'd say it's rare that a game comes up with a new concept that hasn't been done before. Most first person shooters are merely a more complex version of Wolfenstein or Doom with better graphics. They mostly rely on having a good story rather than innovative game play. What I liked about some of the older games is that they were innovative in their game play, such that you could play the game for a few years and still enjoy it. I rarely actually buy games today because I know I can just rent it a couple times, get through the game and return it, spending only $10-15 bucks instead of the $60 that new releases on XBox 360 cost nowadays.

edabbs44
02-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Micro League Baseball for the C64 was tremendous.

Old School Madden editions for Sega were also the best of the bunch. Much better than the recent ones.

WMR
02-02-2008, 10:25 PM
You're joking, right?

Have you played Madden 08 on the 360 with a HDMI connection?

edabbs44
02-02-2008, 11:05 PM
You're joking, right?

Have you played Madden 08 on the 360 with a HDMI connection?

Played it on PS3 in HD.

Maybe it was the atmosphere (late HS and college years, massive rivalries in the dorms) and the fact that I am getting older. But those versions were phenomenal.

WMR
02-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I can agree with all of that. :)

I loved it for those exact same reasons back in the day... but the ways that the game has progressed are absolutely amazing, IMO.

edabbs44
02-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I can agree with all of that. :)

I loved it for those exact same reasons back in the day... but the ways that the game has progressed are absolutely amazing, IMO.

Another reason is I (and all of my friends) are now married. I have '08 for PS3, but no one to play it with. :(

WMR
02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Another reason is I (and all of my friends) are now married. I have '08 for PS3, but no one to play it with. :(

Well damn dude we should play on the PS3 network sometime.

SteelSD
02-03-2008, 01:17 AM
I understand that, but it seems like there is too much respect being given to the old games and not enough to the new ones...

When I was a kid, I watched a guy play Pac Man for hours. Literally, hours. The guy had the timing down to the point where he could run right up to one of the "ghosts" just to watch it turn around as he expected. If he walked up to me today and claimed that Pac Man was his all-time favorite game, then I'd tip my cap to him despite the advances we've seen in gaming tech.

I've actually lived the entire video game age, from grade school to now. I consider myself to be extremely lucky because of that. For me, the interesting thing is that it's not just "nostalgia" driving what we love about gaming, but moreso how much goshed darned fun we had playing a game regardless of simplicity, complexity, graphics, etc.

And speaking of simple, I forgot to list my favorite online game- Yeti Golf. Ridiculously simple, but addictive to a fault. There's simply no way to play one game and then not play 100 more.

oneupper
02-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Early PC: Decathlon.

Arcade: Asteriods

Intellivision: Baseball, Tron

N64: Mario Kart 64 (Still play this with my kids and even win sometimes)

Wii: Wii Sports Bowling, Golf

Jpup
02-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Actually, I have been addicted to MLB the Show '07 for a whole year. I guess it will be my favorite until '08 rears it's gorgeous head.

same here. :thumbup:

GAC
02-03-2008, 07:16 AM
I remember when the Atari 2600 system first came out. Been what? 30 years ago. We had one in our division while in the Navy. You had Pong, Breakout, Space Invaders, Pacman, and one of my favorites "Auto Racing on Ice". :lol:

I bought an Atari 5200 when they first came out, and played alot of Ms Pacman, Frogger, River Raid, Demon Attack, Joust, and one of my favorites - Centipede.

The analog controllers were terrible and proved to be the system's downfall. We went through an awful lot of those 5200 controllers.

But one of my favorite all-time arcade games was Galaga. Wasted alot of quarters on that game.

http://www.2atoms.com/images/game/arcade/galaga.gif

What is interesting, with the advancements they have made in video game technology and graphics over the last 25-30 years, that my kids still love to play those old games. My 12 yr old has bought all the Namco and Midway Arcade Treasures games for both his Nintendo game Cube and X Box. And he still gets on these internet sites and plays such old classics like Paperboy and others.

I'll let them hook it up to our 55" big screen on occasion and I'll play Galaga and others with them. But their hand and eye coordination is so good I never get a turn! :lol:

Right now the big thing seems to be Guitar Hero and Rock Band. My daughter bought Guitar Hero 3 with her Christmas money. And in just a month I can't believe how good she has become. She sets that thing on the highest level and rocks. I get headaches and my eyes cross just trying to watch the TV screen.

Gainesville Red
02-03-2008, 11:51 AM
We spent a lot of time on Goldeneye on the N64 and the first couple of Tony Hawk games on PS2.

Degenerate39
02-03-2008, 12:02 PM

Well damn dude we should play on the PS3 network sometime.

I'm gonna have to play against you guys one day. I hardly play Madden 08 so my skills aren't that atoned any more.

bengalsown
02-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Mario brothers
Tetris
Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Red Alert 2

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Isn't there anybody else out there that has enjoyed the Halo series?

Yachtzee
02-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Those games are fun and I enjoyed the storyline. However, I don't consider them all-time favorites just because they're really just Doom with amazing graphics and a good story. I put Metal Gear Solid up as a favorite shooter because it really differed from other shooters at the time because the emphasis was more on using stealth to infiltrate a facility to reach your goal rather than just blasting away at anything and everything in your path.

I'd say the biggest problem with shooters like Halo is that they lack replay value. Are Halo games ones you find yourself playing over and over even 6 months after it came out? Or are they ones where you spend a few months defeating the game, maybe play some online challenges against others and try it on hard mode, then trade it in for a new game?

pahster
02-03-2008, 01:38 PM

Halo is fun, but not nearly innovative enough (really not innovative at all). The storyline is decent but not great. Fun game, lots of replay value because of X-Box live, but ultimately not great.

nate
02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Those games are fun and I enjoyed the storyline. However, I don't consider them all-time favorites just because they're really just Doom with amazing graphics and a good story. I put Metal Gear Solid up as a favorite shooter because it really differed from other shooters at the time because the emphasis was more on using stealth to infiltrate a facility to reach your goal rather than just blasting away at anything and everything in your path.

I'd say the biggest problem with shooters like Halo is that they lack replay value. Are Halo games ones you find yourself playing over and over even 6 months after it came out? Or are they ones where you spend a few months defeating the game, maybe play some online challenges against others and try it on hard mode, then trade it in for a new game?

Yes, absolutely. I think the Halo series is immensely replayable, both online and campaign (which can be online too). I haven't played a lot of H3 recently because CoD4 multi is a lot of fun but I do have a good group of peeps that goes back and forth between the two.

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 01:57 PM

I would say xbox-live is the reason that Halo is so replayable. I was still playing Halo 2 xbox-live on my old Xbox as recently as six months ago. I have probably logged thousands of hours playing the matchmaking and custom games with my friends. The game play changes every time on xbox-live because you are constantly given new game types and new opponents that use different strategies. All the while, you are working to increase your "ranking." Also, if Halo is Doom with better graphics, doesn't that make it a better game?

Yachtzee
02-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I would say xbox-live is the reason that Halo is so replayable. I was still playing Halo 2 xbox-live on my old Xbox as recently as six months ago. I have probably logged thousands of hours playing the matchmaking and custom games with my friends. The game play changes every time on xbox-live because you are constantly given new game types and new opponents that use different strategies. All the while, you are working to increase your "ranking." Also, if Halo is Doom with better graphics, doesn't that make it a better game?

Well, then I guess that would be a reason why you might list Halo Series as your favorite all-time. Me, I'm more of a solitary player. Although I have a few cards for a free month of Xbox Live sitting around, I don't have the time to invest in a subscription, so I just play the regular campaign mode. When I think of my favorite all time games, it's usually because they were fairly innovative in some way that made them inherently replayable, whether you played alone or with friends. For example, I remember SNK Baseball Stars was great because it not only had great gameplay, but it was also one of the first games I can remember that let you create your own players. It's old hat now, but at the time it was a big advancement on previous games.

Ltlabner
02-03-2008, 04:56 PM
One of the first full-sized arcade games I fell in love with was Red Baron.

http://www.arcadeclassics.co.uk/images/Red_Baron.jpg

Remember playing it for the first time at a Malabu Grand Prix race track and acrade. Played it once and then spent the rest of the money Gramps gave me to play it over and over and over.

For me, I think the older games hold a warm regard is for many reasons, pure nestalga, having aged and not having new equipment (other than PC) and that it was first. First will always hold a spot over newer.

The big reason for me, however, was that in the early 1980's it was all so new (to me, I know Atari systems had been out for a while). I could disapear into my room for hours, sometimes days on end and try to beat a new game. And every game was new (unless it was Pac-Mac or something) at that time. New concepts. New motor skils to develop. New game features to explore. Even learing the menus and options to tinker with was new ground to explore.

Sure, now the graphics are amazing and blow your mind. The Wii is pretty cool, but it's cool because it's NEW (the control system is anyway). You can only do so many versons of Castle Wolfenstein, or Space Invaders or Age of Empires. After a while, they are all the same game (again, to me at least).

But "back in the day" socked away in my bedroom, it was an all new experience. And really, really, really, really, fun.

WMR
02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
You can't discuss revolutions in gaming without bringing up Grand Theft Auto.

Johnny Footstool
02-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Baseball Stars are in a dead-heat tie.

I also loved the stand-up arcade version of Discs of Tron and the sit-down version of Sinistar.

GAC
02-03-2008, 09:19 PM

I'm an old fart. Pong and Frogger are more up my alley. But my teenagers play Halo, Doom, and Call Of Duty.

I like to play bowling on the Wii.

I've been trying to play Madden 08 with my daughter, but I just don'thave the eye-hand coordination of these youngsters.

Caveat Emperor
02-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Baseball Stars are in a dead-heat tie.

The special pitch where you could accelerate and decelerate the ball at will was money.

wheels
02-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Call of Duty Four.

With a bullet.

Best shooter I've ever played.

sonny
02-04-2008, 02:01 AM
I just started playing ZORK. Now I'm addicted to it. It's like text-based crack.

Reds Fan Chris
02-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Final Fantasy 7
Chrono Trigger
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry

Yeah im a dork :P

Yachtzee
02-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I just started playing ZORK. Now I'm addicted to it. It's like text-based crack.

I remember those. I enjoyed "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "Leather Goddesses of Phobos" (not nearly as dirty as it sounds, it had a sort of vintage pulp sci-fi theme and some good humor).

RFS62
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Leisure Suit Larry was pretty good.

RollyInRaleigh
02-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Anybody remember playing the "pre-video game" arcade games? I remember sinking a bunch of quarters in a "Neanderthal" baseball game at an arcade in Myrtle Beach when I was a kid. The ball would roll down this track and you would have to hit it when it jumped off the track with this mechanical bat. There were different height levels in the back of the machine that would give you a single, double, triple or homerun, and a wheel type baserunning mechanism that would show you where your runners were.

I also wasted a lot of quarters in pinball machines and the skee-ball alley. Spend all that money to win those tickets to redeem for some half-rate stuffed animal. Ahhh, those were the days.

Bip Roberts
02-04-2008, 03:14 PM
after playing Rock Band all weekend Im going to have to say Rock Band

oneupper
02-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Anybody remember playing the "pre-video game" arcade games? I remember sinking a bunch of quarters in a "Neanderthal" baseball game at an arcade in Myrtle Beach when I was a kid. The ball would roll down this track and you would have to hit it when it jumped off the track with this mechanical bat. There were different height levels in the back of the machine that would give you a single, double, triple or homerun, and a wheel type baserunning mechanism that would show you where your runners were.

Was it like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slug-Fest-Baseball-Pinball-by-Williams-Pitch-and-Bat_W0QQitemZ330194592645QQihZ014QQcategoryZ13725Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQc mdZViewItem

RollyInRaleigh
02-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Was it like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slug-Fest-Baseball-Pinball-by-Williams-Pitch-and-Bat_W0QQitemZ330194592645QQihZ014QQcategoryZ13725Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQc mdZViewItem

Nope. I have played those, as well. The one I mentioned was much different.

Mario-Rijo
03-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Wow so many to choose from.

Arcade: Gauntlet, Punchout & NBA Jams

Atari: Donkey Kong and Pitfall

Nintendo: Legend of Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punchout & Tecmo Bowl

N64: Super Mario Bros. 3, Ninja Gaiden & TMNT

PS1: Resident Evil & Madden Football

PS2: Navy Seals, Syphon Filter, Red Dead Revolver, MVP Baseball, NCAA and Madden Football, Hot Shots Golf & Dynasty Warriors.

PS3: Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and MLB 2K7

Oblivion is now my favorite game ever and the one that currently has me acting like a Skooma (Game reference) Addict. I have been playing it about a month and a half or so now and I am hooked so bad that I haven't even been paying much attention to S/T. I know it's a big sin but this game is phenomenal. Makes me wished I had played it earlier on the PS2.

improbus
03-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Mega Man 2
Rez
Super Metroid
Katamari Damacy - fabulous Japanese Techno soundtrack
Bionic Commando
All GTA's
Mario Galaxy - there should be rehab groups for this game
Okami - can't wait for it on Wii
Age of Empires - lost .3 GPA to that game in college
Tecmo Super Bowl
Coach K Basketball - Greatest Sports Game I've ever played. The only game to accurately simulate cut off the ball and reward you for playing good team basketball.

OldRightHander
03-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Age of Empires - lost .3 GPA to that game in college

You can lost track of time with that one. I've got it on my laptop and will play it sometimes before I go to bed when I'm on the road. Dangerous game for someone in my profession where getting a full night's sleep (or day's sleep in some instances) is absolutely essential. If I'm going to play that one, I set the alarm and when it goes off, it's time to save the progress and go to bed.

Jack Burton
03-13-2008, 11:43 AM
My top 3
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy VII
Tomb Raider

BoydsOfSummer
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
MLB 08 The Show
NFL 2k5
MVP 2005

The best baseball and football ever.

GoReds33
03-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Grand Tourismo 3
GTA San Andreas
NBA Live 2008
MLB 07 The Show
Madden 08

I like sports games if you havn't noticed.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Arcade: Galaga, Gyruss (I have a Ms. Pacman in my basement rec room)

Atari 2600: Pitfall, Breakout, Defender

Atari 5200: Centipede, Missle Command

Early PC: Robotron

Nintendo: Super Mario Brothers, Tecmo Bowl

Super Nintendo: Mario, Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past, Super Metroid

Sega: NHL '94

Later PC: Myst, Riven

N64: Zelda - Ocarina in Time

PS1: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider

NGC: Zelda -Windwaker, Twilight Princess

PS2: Resident Evil II, Tiger Woods '04, Grand Theft Auto (Liberty City)

Wii: Resident Evil IV, Guitar Hero III

chilsonrolen
12-09-2011, 02:47 AM
My favorite video games of all time are: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Soul Calibur, Grand Theft Auto IV, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, Tekken 3, Mass Effect 2 and Halo: Combat Evolved.

reds1869
12-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Since this thread popped back up, I have to change my earlier answer. Without question my new favorite of all-time is Skyrim. I've never been so hooked on a game.

Caveat Emperor
12-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Chrono Trigger dropped this week on the App Store for iOS. The world is simply a better place as a result.

Looking back, the JRPG seems to have gone the way of the point-and-click adventure games. It's sad too, because those 16-bit games were amazing. New RPGs just don't do it for me the way the old stuff did.

Redsfaithful
12-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Chrono Trigger dropped this week on the App Store for iOS. The world is simply a better place as a result.

Looking back, the JRPG seems to have gone the way of the point-and-click adventure games. It's sad too, because those 16-bit games were amazing. New RPGs just don't do it for me the way the old stuff did.

They are still getting made, they're just not AAA titles. I saw this linked from somewhere yesterday:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/107310

I don't have the time really, but it makes me glad that that kind of game is still getting made.

Stray
12-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Sega Genesis - NBA Jam
N64 - Goldeneye/Mario Tennis
PC - Diablo 2
PS2 - San Andreas
PS3 - Uncharted 2
XBOX 360 - Gears of War series

izzy's dad
12-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Chrono Trigger is my second favorite game of all time, a close second to Xenogears. But you are right. The golden age of the JRPG is long gone, and it makes me sad.

Caveat Emperor
12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Chrono Trigger is my second favorite game of all time, a close second to Xenogears. But you are right. The golden age of the JRPG is long gone, and it makes me sad.

Ditto on Xenogears -- amazing to think that game was almost skipped for US release by Square due to the theme and content of the storyline. I'm not holding out hope for THAT game ever to see a re-release, but I kept my copy in case I ever get the itch to play it through again. '

On the subject of Chrono, I stumbled across this video the other day that made me kinda sad. A group of fans were doing a full remake of the game and posted some gameplay videos before the project was shut down by a cease and desist letter:

Chrono Trigger Resurrection Game Play Footage HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=233kmUiW-Rc)

If this is what a bunch of motivated fans were able to do with the source material back in 2004...

izzy's dad
12-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Well, now I have to put down Skyrim and plow through Chrono Trigger. Thanks for derailing my gaming schedule.:D

Xenogears was the perfect storm for me. The mix of science fiction, Freudian psychology, graphical accomplishment (at the time), and innovative combat was absolutely splendid. I don't know if there ever will be a game this unique ever again. Chrono Trigger was great in an entirely different way.

HotCorner
12-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I loved the Front Page Sports: Football Pro series for PC. It was the best football game ever ... until it was killed. :(

gonelong
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Super Techmo Bowl. (93?)

As far as I know they stopped making games after that. My brothers (and now our sons/nephews too) play Techmo every Thanksgiving after dinner, a nearly 20 year tradition.

My son just turned 8 a few months back. I hauled out Techmo and taught him how to play before Thanksgiving this year and he was able to beat a few of his older cousins. :D

This week we just finished up our first joint season (we alternate plays) where we lost the AFC Championship (Bills) to the Klingler led Bengals when Harold Green broke 4 tackles on a 25 yard run and scored with 6 seconds left. (The Bengals then went on to lose to the 49ers in the Super Bowl - deja vu all over again).

I'll play a bit of Guitar Hero or Lego Star Wars on the Wii if my son asks, other than that, just Techmo Bowl.

GL

/Oregon Trail? :laugh:

Chrietic
12-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I'd have to say Resistance 2.

reds1869
12-16-2011, 03:25 PM
I loved the Front Page Sports: Football Pro series for PC. It was the best football game ever ... until it was killed. :(

I loved Front Page Sports. Hours of my young life went into that game.

RonDunn95
12-18-2011, 01:19 AM
MVP Baseball 2005 and Far Cry 1 & 2

KronoRed
12-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Operation Flashpoint, you know it's a great game when you are still playing it 10 years after it came out, and finding people online to play with, ignoring newer games that may be better looking but simply fail at the combat simulation role.

Chrietic
12-22-2011, 04:58 PM
resistance 2 for some reason.