PDA

View Full Version : Any College Wrestling Fans Out There?

MWM
02-02-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm a big fan of college wrestling and am curious if anyone else out there follows it.

I was REALLY hoping to see Dustin Schlatter against Brent Metcalf tonight, but Schlatter is still hurt, so it will have to wait. It could wind up being one of the most anticipated matches we've seen in quite some time in college wrestling.

I watched the Iowa-Minnesota duel on the Big Ten network, and Iowa wrestlers just seem to be more prepared this year the few times I've been able to watch than their opponents. They have that swagger again. Even when their guys are the underdogs, you get the feeling like they're going to win the match.

I also watched the HUGE upset of John Marsh from Michigan over Mike Poeta, ranked #1 at 157, tonight. It was a very good match and Marsh went out and didn't back down and almost stuck Poeta.

If you're an Ohio State fan at all, you've got a real young fireballer in Colt Sponseller. As a true freshman, he manhandled Kerr from Iowa (granted he's a backup to stud Mark Perry), but he made it look easy. And Kerr looked really ood in the Minnesota duel tonight.

Anyhow, I'd love to get some conversation going, but it's probably not very likely that we have many wrestling fans. Too bad, because it's a phenomenal sport to watch, and these guys are superb athletes.

Chip R
02-02-2008, 01:11 AM
I don't follow it as much as I used to when I lived in Iowa cause it just doesn't get as much press out here as it does in Iowa. You're right, though. It's great to watch and they are fine athletes. Their personalities... not so much. When I lived in Des Moines and the state high school wrestling tournament came to town, I used to call it the invasion of the a$$holes. ;)