PDA

View Full Version : What moves do you want the teams in the AFC north not to make?

Bip Roberts
02-07-2008, 06:09 PM
I guess to give us a little change of pace I am asking you guys what moves you would hate for the other teams in the division to make.

1st off I would hate for Baltimore to sign Derek Anderson. I dont think hes as good as he was for most of last year but for Baltimore he could be just what the doctor ordered for them.

Id also hate for the Ravens to franchise Suggs. Either get him on the Bengals or get him out of the division.

Id prefer the Browns to resign Derek Anderson just because it would screw with the team over the long run when they have to make a decision on what to do with him and Quinn.

Just some quick ones off the top of my head, dont know if this is even a good thread but heck its worth a shot instead of talking about what chad has said or what he hasnt and if the media is just making stuff up because they need readers or not.

GAC
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
1st off I would hate for Baltimore to sign Derek Anderson. I dont think hes as good as he was for most of last year but for Baltimore he could be just what the doctor ordered for them.

Id prefer the Browns to resign Derek Anderson just because it would screw with the team over the long run when they have to make a decision on what to do with him and Quinn.

He's going to the Pro Bowl. ;)

The Browns are going to resign Anderson, and I think it will be a very strategic move IMHO. #1 - I don't want to go into next season just handing the job to an unproven Quinn after the progress we made. Our success in 07 was in large part, IMHO, to a revamped offensive line, which greatly aided and improved both our running game (Lewis) and passing game (Anderson).

At the beginning of the season, when the Brown's suddenly traded Frye and named Anderson the starter, many really railed on Anderson as a terrible QB. And they used a small window, the '06 season, as an example. I stood by the kid. Why?....

He put up some solid numbers at Oregon State.

2006 was basically his rookie year. He was drafted by the Ravens in '05 who then released him only because they thought he would fall under everyone's radar and they could then sign him to their practice squad. Savage immediately signed him.

He only started in 3 games in '06 due to the Brown's "infatuation" with trying to make Frye their QB, and the fact Charlie struggled with injury. And those three starts were against teams with solid defenses - Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and T.B. And we had one of the worst, more porous offensive lines in the NFL too. Yet he had a career-high 276 yards passing at Pittsburgh on Dec. 7, and a career-high 23 completions at Baltimore on Dec. 17, including 13 consecutive completions, the fifth-most in franchise history. He then got nailed in the TB game. His QB Rating was so-so, but I looked past that and saw a unproved, inexperienced rookie who, IMO, showed he had talent. The problem wasn't so much him as it was with other elements on the team at that time.

As far as going into the '08 season....

He is a restricted free agent. He doesn't set the terms. From the Browns he will receive the "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the CBA between the league and its players). They can place the following tender on him....
Low tender -- $850,000
Second-round tender -- $1.3 million
First-round tender -- $1.85 million
First- and third-round tender -- $2.35 millionNow Anderson can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because it has the "right of first refusal". If the old club does not match the offer, it can possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. And the Browns have already stated they will give Anderson the 2.35 mil/one year tender. Now they may sign him to a multi-year contract too, which can make him more appealing to other teams if they desire to trade him.

But if another team offers Anderson some huge multi-year contract deal, the Browns still have the "right of first refusal". And if they let him go, then based on the tender they placed on him, they would get a 1st and 3rd rounder. That is how I understand it.

camisadelgolf
02-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I'd be surprised but wouldn't be shocked to see Anderson get the franchise tag. Quality quarterbacks are that important in the NFL.

As for moves I don't want to be made, I don't want to see the Bengals draft a running back or quarterback. I don't want the Ravens to find any kind of quality for their offense. I also don't want the Ravens to draft defense with their first pick (since they'd probably pick whoever is #1 on the Bengals' draft board at the time). I don't want the Steelers to find a way to keep their offensive line intact. I don't want the Browns to change a thing (since they're due to revert to the mean).

Bip Roberts
02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I honestly think that the steelers keeping the line in tact would be a good thing. They were kinda bad this year.

Cedric
02-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I'd be surprised but wouldn't be shocked to see Anderson get the franchise tag. Quality quarterbacks are that important in the NFL.

As for moves I don't want to be made, I don't want to see the Bengals draft a running back or quarterback. I don't want the Ravens to find any kind of quality for their offense. I also don't want the Ravens to draft defense with their first pick (since they'd probably pick whoever is #1 on the Bengals' draft board at the time). I don't want the Steelers to find a way to keep their offensive line intact. I don't want the Browns to change a thing (since they're due to revert to the mean).

Faneca is gone for sure and the Pittsburgh line wasn't exactly good this year anyway. Even though the numbers lie a bit because of Roethlisbergs style and how he always attempts to make plays. You never see him throw the ball away and that hurts the sack numbers.

camisadelgolf
02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I guess what I meant to say is that I hope the Steelers don't find a way to keep Faneca, since he's one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL.

Bip Roberts
02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
According to Steeler fans they think he is bad. Then again I'm talking about steeler fans.

GAC
02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I want the Browns and Bengals to emphasize improving their defenses....PERIOD! Firing their respective defensive coordinators was a good start. Especially when one defensive coordinator maybe had his eyes more on getting the head coaching job then running the defense. ;)

If the Browns are going to utilize a 3-4 defense - then for cryin' out loud get the LBers that will complement it, and get rid of guys like McGhinness.