PDA

View Full Version : Things You Just Don't Get

Pages : [1] 2

Dom Heffner
02-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I cannot remember if we've done this before, but the Kanye West thread got me thinking we should do a thread like this.

For my first of many nominations, I'll concur with the poster who said Kanye West.

I just don't get it.

Also don't get the obsession with CGI in movies. When movies start looking like video games, I'll pass.

TRF
02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
MySpace.

I get the overall social network concept, but which genius thought of musicians and 14 year olds as a good foundation? Now it's degenerated into a show your arse club for every stripper and voyeur on the planet.

TeamCasey
02-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Blue Ray discs

westofyou
02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Eating Fast Food.

TeamCasey
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Sour candy ....... like sour patch kids.

Roy Tucker
02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
The Grateful Dead.

I tried hard, really.

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
How Alan Cutler has a job

pahster
02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Drugs (including alcohol and tobacco products), Guitar Hero/Rock Band, slashers, reality TV, auto racing, Buckcherry, 80's music, and the attitudes most undergraduates have about school.

MrCinatit
02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
MySpace.
I get the overall social network concept, but which genius thought of musicians and 14 year olds as a good foundation? Now it's degenerated into a show your arse club for every stripper and voyeur on the planet.

Amen. It actually annoyed me three years ago. Even worse now.

Eating Fast Food.

Amen again. My stomach turns when I walk past and smell one of those places; and it turns when I see someone shoving that junk into their mouths.

Mine:

UFC. How exactly does watching a bunch of greased up, half naked guys make me more of a man? And why is it fans of the stuff actively and aggressively insist that "you gotta see this!"?

Country music - especially modern country music; and hip hop. Repetition only goes so far before it becomes boredom.

Reality TV.

Dumb luck game shows. Congratulations. You just chose what is inside a box. Now you get to chose another box. Wow.

The Cubs.

Unassisted
02-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Carrying a balance on a credit card.

TeamCasey
02-11-2008, 12:16 PM
American Idol

Ltlabner
02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Carrying a balance on a credit card.

:thumbup: +1

Having as much taxes withheld as possible from every paycheck so you "get a big return" next April.

Keeping all your money in your checking account which gets 0% interest, and little to nothing in your savings account that pays 4% interest.

Starbucks or any simular place.

People who view staying in hotels with fasication and wonder, and often times run amok with excitement about it.

TeamCasey
02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Vanilla Ice Cream

KronoRed
02-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Choclate ice cream. :p:

SteelSD
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
The addiction to texting via cell phones. My company has a rule restricting cell phones to designated areas only and after three warnings I actually had to place an employee on corrective action for habitually using their cell phone for texting.

Corporate layoffs following consistent down-cycles that use tenure as the guide rather than performance. Yeah, using "tenure" is less likely to get you sued, but it's also more likely to continue your downward spiral as the work done by potentially excellent employees gets re-distributed to others who are also possibly your real problem. I'll never be able to figure out how putting more on the plate of someone who's already less competent is anything but an absolutely awful idea. Cutting costs isn't going to fix the problem. Improving productivity will, and that means making an effort to retain your best people without regard to how long they've been there.

macro
02-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I cannot remember if we've done this before...

We had this thread started back in December 2004 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30433), but IIRC it took some very serious turns that I hadn't intended when I started it.

Anyway, now that I've dug it up, I'll repeat some of my first post from that thread as my contribution to this one...

The white side panels on the Bengals black jerseys: If they were trying to emulate the white undersides of tigers, they failed. It doesn't work.

Prime Rib: It costs more than other steaks, and some people get all watery-mouthed just thinking about it. I think it's ugly, and prefer not to eat it. I guess I just don't get it.

Jessica Simpson: I don't think she's really that pretty, she certainly isn't intelligent, and watching her pained expressions and jerky movements when she sings is more annoying than long fingernails on a chalkboard. Yet many males I know don't hesitate to list her among today's top hotties. Needless to say, I just don't get it.

Outfield seats: I just don't like the view of the game from behind the outfield wall. I feel disoriented. As long as I'm between the bases, I'd rather be up high than be behind the wall. What am I missing here?

Reality television: When will this ever run its course? As soon as I found out that shows like The Bachelor and Survivor were scripted, I lost what little interest I had. Yet I know people who live and die with such shows (especially Survivor). Give me a good documentary on TLC or The History Channel, or a good ballgame of course. No fake reality television for me. I just don't get it.

Bowl Games: I have friends that get fired up looking forward to camping out in front of the set for bowl games all day January 1. Why? Why waste your day watching meaningless exhibition football games that no one will remember two months from now? I don't get it.

Bath and Body Works: Okay, some of that hand soap and body lotion smells really good, but at the prices they charge, it should. $4.00 for a little bottle of hand soap because it has little bead thingies in it? And what's the appeal of smelling like a cucumber? My wife has tried to explain, but I don't get it.

Hunting and fishing: Yes, growing up as a country boy, I tried both. I got into the fishing thing for a time, but never became addicted as some of my friends did. I always thought there was too thin a line between fishing and just sitting in a boat doing nothing. :D As for hunting, I had that experience forced on me as a kid, and hated every minute of it! What's so exciting about getting up at 3:00 or 4:00am and going out into the cold, just for the chance to kill something? I know hunting is needed to control the herds, and I'm all for the ones who want to do it, but I don't get the appeal.

SunDeck
02-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Ipod. My brother bought me a nano for Christmas and I use it, but pretty much only as an easier way to move music to my stereo. I don't get much of a kick from walking around listening to music- it's too disorienting to me.

Hummers. I get it if you own a ranch, but any other non-military use of these things pretty much mystifies me.

"We". I love the Reds, but I don't play for them. It's "they" to me.

Golf club lust. I don't get the need to buy new clubs every couple of years. I'd rather spend my money on lessons and buckets of balls.

durl
02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Tattoos. Let's admit it, they've become a fad.

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Reading this thread makes me realize why people dont get things :laugh:

Ltlabner
02-11-2008, 12:59 PM
People who take the family to the ballpark, sit in the most expensive seats, eat dinner in the Machine Room, and go to the snack stand 3 or 4 times throughout the game. Also, they pick up a couple of souniveers and a program. And then complain that it costs too much to take a family to a Reds game.

Getting a dog as a pet, then chaining it to a house way in the back yard by the shed, and never paying it any attention. Oh, and getting frustrated when it gets wound up and excited because you try to pet it once in awhile.

*BaseClogger*
02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
"Horror" movies

SUVs and trucks driven by cubicle warriors

rotnoid
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
People who take the family to the ballpark, sit in the most expensive seats, eat dinner in the Machine Room, and go to the snack stand 3 or 4 times throughout the game. Also, they pick up a couple of souniveers and a program. And then complain that it costs too much to take a family to a Reds game.

Along those lines, people that pay top dollar to sit in said seats and then don't watch the game. If you're socializing, sit in the View Level, it's a much cheaper cover charge. Oh wait, don't that's the only place I can afford to sit. ;)

People complaining about things they can control their exposure to.

And a random list:

Hip hop, country music, soap operas, watching b list celebrities dance on TV, over reacting over a few flakes of snow, lower back tattoos, gas is expensive at $3 a gallon but coffee's fine at $4 for 12 ounces, and string theory.

Ltlabner
02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
over reacting over a few flakes of snow, lower back tattoos

I've likely already bloviated on this subject, but when did the trend of weather reporters trying to out-alarm their competition start? I mean, I like knowing that a tornado is heading my way, but the complete overkill reporting on *possible* 1" snow fall and thunderstorms in Kalamazoo has become a little silly.

I just don't get it!

*BaseClogger*
02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Thought of another one: weather in Michigan

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Why Cincinnati sports media is so god awful

rotnoid
02-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I've likely already bloviated on this subject, but when did the trend of weather reporters trying to out-alarm their competition start? I mean, I like knowing that a tornado is heading my way, but the complete overkill reporting on *possible* 1" snow fall and thunderstorms in Kalamazoo has become a little silly.

I just don't get it!

I often wonder if it has something to do with corporate sponsors

"This weather report brought to you by the fine folks at [insert grocer here], who would like to remind you that milk, bread, eggs, side walk salt, and snow shovels are all on sale until the first flake falls, then the price triples, but only if you have that little card."

LoganBuck
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
NASCAR- I don't care, don't tell me about it, and, hey you, in the minivan that number 8 sticker doesn't make you cool.

People who go jogging in weather under 20 degrees.

People who go jogging with their tiny dogs in weather under 20 degrees.

Award Shows on TV, my wife loves them, I would rather stab toothpicks in my eyes.

Tracy Jones

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Why people like Bill Maher

minus5
02-11-2008, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=rotnoid;1550044] gas is expensive at $3 a gallon but coffee's fine at $4 for 12 ouncesQUOTE]

I don't have to fill a 20 gallon tank full of coffee. ;)

Dom Heffner
02-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Not only local newscasts, but sweeps month in local newscasts.

"Is your shampoo killing you?"

Drives me crazy. It's like, if this is such important information, why do you only seem to discover it during sweeps month? Shouldn't you have broadcasted this last month instead of waiting until you are setting your advertising rates?

Falls City Beer
02-11-2008, 01:38 PM
The telephone. Period. I'd rather have my finger smashed with a hammer than talk on the phone. If someone calls my house on business after 8 p.m. I don't answer. Ever.

Email me. Unless you're a total idiot, that email will likely contain more information, succinct and complete, than a phone call with all of its idiot niceties.

Every phone should be boxed in a red steel-and-glass container that reads "Use only in emergency."

BRM
02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I know what you mean FCB. My wife gets aggravated with me sometimes because I hardly ever answer the phone. I especially hate phone calls during dinner. My wife will usually answer it and by the time she's done talking, the kids and I are finished eating. Drives me bonkers.

Roy Tucker
02-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Why people lose their minds and go non-linear on internet bulletin board discussions.

Say your piece, follow it up a time or two, and move on.

Falls City Beer
02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Why people lose their minds and go non-linear on internet bulletin board discussions.

Say your piece, follow it up a time or two, and move on.

Example?

camisadelgolf
02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm another person who doesn't get NASCAR. I also don't get 'professional wrestling' (i.e. WWF) or whatever it's called.

I don't get horror films. I get violence in films, but I don't get movies that are "scary" without being gruesome.

I don't get Power Rangers.

I don't get why people care so much about steroids in sports.

I don't get why people are so obsessed over celebrities.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Valentines Day. If only my girlfriend shared my view that it's nothing more than a brilliant capitalistic marketing ploy. Oh well!

cumberlandreds
02-11-2008, 02:04 PM
The telephone. Period. I'd rather have my finger smashed with a hammer than talk on the phone. If someone calls my house on business after 8 p.m. I don't answer. Ever.

Email me. Unless you're a total idiot, that email will likely contain more information, succinct and complete, than a phone call with all of its idiot niceties.

Every phone should be boxed in a red steel-and-glass container that reads "Use only in emergency."

I'm the same way. I have caller id at home and if I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If it's that important you can leave a message and I will decide to call back or not. I just don't understand the obsession of cell phones and why some people have them glued to their ear. Cell phones are great for emergencies or in some cases for business but other than that I think not. I could wait to go home to call someone to talk about the game last night or whether my hair should be more blonde.

George Anderson
02-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Why as Catholics we arent allowed to eat meat on Lenten Fridays but it's ok to eat fish??

I heard a comedian one time say isn't it funny that the guys who made this rule (12 Apostles) were all fisherman?? :rolleyes:

Degenerate39
02-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Why as Catholics we arent allowed to eat meat on Lenten Fridays but it's ok to eat fish??

I heard a comedian one time say isn't it funny that the guys who made this rule (12 Apostles) were all fisherman?? :rolleyes:

I always forget about this and I eat lunch at school but when I remember it's too late.

My list:

NASCAR
Rap Music
Yankee Fans
Chocolate
Tay Zonday
Dunn hater's
Cubs Fans

Ltlabner
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
The proliferation of commericals and TV shows where the man is portrayed as a total idiot/dolt while the woman in the add/show condesncedingly nudges him towards the right answer or out of difficulty.

The newest one is for HR block where the guy is "stuck" and she tells him to tell the box he's stuck.

Guys aren't all rocket scientists by any strech, but I rather be told about the benefits of the product than being told how stupid I am.

pahster
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
"We". I love the Reds, but I don't play for them. It's "they" to me.

Ooh, forgot that one. Agreed.

Redhook
02-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Expensive Purses. I understand that purses need to match the outfit/season, by why do they cost so much? And why are the expensive ones really, really ugly? I have one wallet that I use for a few years and it costs $20. Women buy 4 purses a year at the average cost of $150. What a waste of money.

Ohio Speed Limit set at 65mph. Driving to Missouri this winter I drove 65 in Ohio, 70 in Indiana, 65 in Illinois, and 70 in Missouri. Makes a lot of sense.

Why McDonald's employees can't speak English in their restaurants in Florida. What country are we in?

Red lights in the left-hand lane when it's green in the straight lane. Couldn't it be flashing red to give you the option of turning if there's no oncoming traffic?

Millionaire athletes who complain about anything.

WVRed
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Couch burning. For that matter, anything associated with WVU.

All of the anti-smoking ads(Debunkify). I don't smoke or condone it, but a lot of these ads will convince more kids to smoke than anything.

People coming through an express line with almost two hundred dollars worth of groceries(and me being on the receiving end).

The point in taking classes like biology and Art Appreciation when I am going for a business degree.

Why John Kruk still has a job with ESPN.

Agree with Steel on texting. My ex texted all the time, but I never got into it.

Having the Cincinnati Reds Caravan at the mall here in Parkersburg and Hollister blaring its music all through the mall. I wear Hollister, so I can't really say I don't understand it.

People (mostly teenagers) who say words like "shoot" and "dangit", words that are actually closer to swear words. If you are going to say something close to it, you might as well just go ahead and say the actual word. Nobody thinks you are cool, and you are going to just end up saying it eventually.

"PROMISE" scholarship in West Virginia. Where I attend college, PROMISE is the number one flunkouts. Why? 3.0 GPA and carrying 15 credit hours straight out of high school and you get a full ride. Send your kids to Partytown and expect them to live up to "PROMISE"? Go for it.

NASCAR definitely. Although after working with a guy who talked about Jeff Gordon non-stop, I really hope he never wins another race. UFC I would also put in that category.

dabvu2498
02-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Expensive Purses. I understand that purses need to match the outfit/season, by why do they cost so much? And why are the expensive ones really, really ugly? I have one wallet that I use for a few years and it costs $20. Women buy 4 purses a year at the average cost of $150. What a waste of money.

Your wife only averages $150 per purse? Please have her talk to my wife about that. Actually, you may not want her to do that...

westofyou
02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Your wife only averages $150 per purse? Please have her talk to my wife about that. Actually, you may not want her to do that...

My wife has one purse, one... one..... that's it. One.

And it didn't cost over $100.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
What drives a man to use the urinal next to me when there's an open stall one more down.

People who cheat in online video games(mainly a PC thing). What's the fun... really?

Like many others, the appeal of NASCAR. I've watched a few races with my brother who is big into it. I guess it's just not my thing.

Racism.

People who don't like the things I like. What's the deal with that?

Danny Serafini
02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
What drives a man to use the urinal next to me when there's an open stall one more down.

And the offshoot of this, the guy who wants to talk to you. I didn't go in there for conversation, leave me alone.

redsfanmia
02-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Decorative pillows on the bed, I just dont understand what the point is when its just my wife and I that are going to see our bedroom.

dabvu2498
02-11-2008, 02:49 PM
My wife has one purse, one... one..... that's it. One.

And it didn't cost over $100.

I wish.

Strange thing is, it seems that purses are my wife's only concession to vanity. She bargain hunts for clothes, furniture, etc., but she loves her some Prada, Gucci, LV purses.

It's sad that I even know the names of those brands.

joshnky
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Polls. They set the "gold" standard for everything from politics to athletics yet they're often proven wrong.

Chip R
02-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Decorative pillows on the bed, I just dont understand what the point is when its just my wife and I that are going to see our bedroom.

Thank you! My mom has those all over the beds in her spare bedroom. Whenever I stay there I have to knock those suckers off.

redsfanmia
02-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Thank you! My mom has those all over the beds in her spare bedroom. Whenever I stay there I have to knock those suckers off.

I am not joking in our "formal" living room we have two couches and on these two couches there are thirty-four pillows, all of which were bought before we were married.

BRM
02-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I am not joking in our "formal" living room we have two couches and on these two couches there are thirty-four pillows, all of which were bought before we were married.

34 pillows on two couches? Do you just sit on the floor?

Rojo
02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't get birds as pets, flavored water or why lemon-lime sodas have crowded out the far more delicious ginger ale.

SunDeck
02-11-2008, 03:22 PM
And the offshoot of this, the guy who wants to talk to you. I didn't go in there for conversation, leave me alone.

Hey now, there are rules about urinals:

1) When there is room ALWAYS leave at least one urinal between you and the next guy.
2) No talking under any circumstances.
3) Keep your eyes on your own business.
4) When there is a line, always stay at least three steps back.

What man doesn't know these rules?

redsfanmia
02-11-2008, 03:46 PM
34 pillows on two couches? Do you just sit on the floor?

It our "formal" room so we dont sit on them, they are 10+ years old and are like new.

MrCinatit
02-11-2008, 03:47 PM

What is great is when I am doing my business at work - and the customer next to me starts asking questions.
Buddy, there is a place to ask where we keep drywall screws. That ain't it.

redsfanmia
02-11-2008, 03:48 PM

1) When there is room ALWAYS leave at least one urinal between you and the next guy.

Common knowledge for most men but some guys just dont get it. I was at the gym sunday and there was a guy who was talking to me in the shower. Who talks to a total stranger in the shower? I just gave him a look and didnt reply.

redsfanmia
02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't get birds as pets

I am with you on the birds as pets and I will add any kind of reptile as pets as well.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Common knowledge for most men but some guys just dont get it. I was at the gym sunday and there was a guy who was talking to me in the shower. Who talks to a total stranger in the shower? I just gave him a look and didnt reply.

Oddly enough, the gym is where I typically have the problem too. There's something about a locker room that brings the weird out.:laugh:

Rojo
02-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Amen. I also find it disconcerting when guys go hands free.

gonelong
02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
People who go jogging in weather under 20 degrees.

My wife runs lots of 5ks, 10Ks, and some 1/2 marathons. Eventually she wants to run a marthon. She goes about 120 lbs and is generally "COLD" when the temperature hits < 70.

She runs in under 20 degree weather all the time.

Running is a habit for her, she can't NOT do it. Weather is mostly irrelevant.

GL

TeamCasey
02-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Getting a dog as a pet, then chaining it to a house way in the back yard by the shed, and never paying it any attention. Oh, and getting frustrated when it gets wound up and excited because you try to pet it once in awhile.

Good one !!!!

TeamCasey
02-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't get why people care so much about steroids in sports.

Really?

TeamCasey
02-11-2008, 04:12 PM

I said this same thing and my friends thought I was weird.

If there are 5 stalls and I'm in one ....... I think the person who chooses the one right next to me is a little creepy ..... when the rest are all empty.

*BaseClogger*
02-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I said this same thing and my friends thought I was weird.

If there are 5 stalls and I'm in one ....... I think the person who chooses the one right next to me is a little creepy ..... when the rest are all empty.

In my book stalls have different rules than urinals. I always choose stall based on cleanliness and available tp...

*BaseClogger*
02-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't know if anyone has driven through Michigan, but we have these u-turns known as "Michigan lefts". For some reason, the state roads in michigan don't have left turn lights, so everyone has to go right and then do a u-turn to change directions. Very frustrating when traffic is heavy...

wheels
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
These threads always make me feel horrible about myself.

westofyou
02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't get how anybody couldn't want to meet and have a drink with wheels.

Strikes Out Looking
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
How anyone can prefer football and basketball over baseball.

durl
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
People that wait in line for days to buy a product that will be readily available anytime after it releases.

I'm not referring to things like concert tickets or playoff tickets...single time events. I'm talking about things like iPhones, movie tickets, game consoles, etc..

redsfan1966
02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
American Idol. Sportscenter (Final Score on FSN, much better). Rachel Ray. Dancing with the Stars. CSI and its spinoffs. The Argosy Casino. Personal Seat Licenses. Karaoke....more possibly to follow....

Rojo
02-11-2008, 07:19 PM
CSI and its spinoffs.....

Yeah, I don't get CSI either. I've seen a couple episodes and it feels like a re-run of some USA Network time-killer.

SunDeck
02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Amen. I also find it disconcerting when guys go hands free.

Like they're trying to prove something.

Reds Freak
02-11-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't get birds as pets.

I saw a sign on a telephone pole the other day that said "Missing: Pet Bird...Reward $100"

Good luck finding that one. If I see your bird hopping along the sidewalk tomorrow, I'll let you know...

wheels
02-11-2008, 07:44 PM

Nor do I, Sir.

Nor do I.

MWM
02-11-2008, 07:50 PM
How in the hell Paris Hilton is famous. She's not attractive (really, she isn't), she isn't talented, she isn't anything really.

joshnky
02-11-2008, 07:52 PM
How in the hell Paris Hilton is famous. She's not attractive (really, she isn't), she isn't talented, she isn't anything really.

How about very, very rich? Despite that, I agree with you.

sonny
02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't get any kind of celebrity worship. I just overheard "EXTRA" has a daily "Brit-Watch", a daily look into what Brittney did today. They will not be happy until she kills herself.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't get any kind of celebrity worship. I just overheard "EXTRA" has a daily "Brit-Watch", a daily look into what Brittney did today. They will not be happy until she kills herself.

It's kind of like The Truman Show, only they know what they're getting into.

WMR
02-11-2008, 08:48 PM

If you've seen her, ahem, "video," I could tell you ONE thing she's quite talented at.

MrCinatit
02-12-2008, 02:42 AM
If you've seen her, ahem, "video," I could tell you ONE thing she's quite talented at.

Laying around motionless while the guy does all the work? :D

WMR
02-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Laying around motionless while the guy does all the work? :D

Without getting vulgar....

it involves the orifice that results in all of the dumb statements that she makes on a semi-daily basis.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I recommend further review of the tape in question.

GAC
02-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Tattoos. Let's admit it, they've become a fad.

Not when they are permanent. ;)

But I agree. What a ridiculous way, IMHO, to be making some sort of "statement". Add body piercing to that list also.

extreme/graphic violence in movies and video games

I can understand the attempts at a realistic portrayal of violence in certain movies in order to capture the historical reality of a particular situation (i.e. Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, etc). But movies like Saw and others I just don't get how people can find those "entertaining". It boggles my mind. As well as those, especially among the younger generation, who love games like Grand Theft Auto and many others where such gratuitous violence and language is the norm. We've come a long way from pong and Pac-Man. And yes, I do believe it does desensitize those that play them regularly.

partisan politics

Not throwing that but there for debate/discussion (I understand the forum rules). Only that I, after time, have returned to my "roots" which is "I don't get it". Two sides so distrustful of each other, each thinking they hold the key to true absolutes, and not only unyielding/compromising; but hellbent on destroying the other. With the general public, overall, caught in the middle of the nastiness.

GAC
02-12-2008, 05:13 AM

My wife wants to remodel/expand and turn our 2 1/2 car garage into a huge family room, then build a new garage, so she can convert the current front living room into a "formal" living room (that room where no one can ever go).

I told her I have no problem with that at all...... after I'm dead and buried because it's a stupid waste of money IMO. Just so you can have a room for show in your house?

MaineRed
02-12-2008, 07:46 AM
People who don't obey the "slower traffic keep right" signs on the highway.

Grocery stores that have 7 registers open but only 2 baggers.

Displays in the middle of grocery store aisles. All they do is get in the way and hide what is behind them on the shelves.

ESPN running basketball on 2 hour blocks. If there is a game at 7 and you want to watch the game at 9, plan on missing the first ten minutes of the 9 o'clock game.

Al Sharpton

Rachel Ray. She is pudgy, she has no idea how to bake and there are 20 better personalities/chefs at the Food Network. Try some of Paula Deen's dishes. They blow RRs out of the water.

People who refuse to see the greatness of the SEC.

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-12-2008, 08:00 AM
I haven't read the previous pages so she might have been mentioned already...Amy Winehouse...She's a major crackhead who just finishes rehab a month ago and gets a standing O the other night at the Grammys and all the love is thrown at her but Rush Limbaugh gets hooked on painkillers and you never hear the end of it....

wheels
02-12-2008, 08:45 AM

And she's got those big, ugly feet and hammer toes.

She's disgusting.

Strikes Out Looking
02-12-2008, 09:24 AM
I haven't read the previous pages so she might have been mentioned already...Amy Winehouse...She's a major crackhead who just finishes rehab a month ago and gets a standing O the other night at the Grammys and all the love is thrown at her but Rush Limbaugh gets hooked on painkillers and you never hear the end of it....

Amy Winehouse can really sing--Rush, not so much.

RichRed
02-12-2008, 09:24 AM

Something everyone should do once.

RichRed
02-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Try some of Paula Deen's dishes. They blow RRs out of the water.

Well yeah, everything tastes better with a whole stick of butter in it, but your arteries will hate you.

camisadelgolf
02-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Really?

Maybe I unintentionally implied something. Or maybe I'm just crazy. Maybe both. Anyway, for the record, I don't like steroids being in sports, but more specifically, in baseball, why can't we just say, "There was a time when some players used steroids, but now there is very thorough testing that results in a long suspension or banishment if tested positive," and then move on?

It's not like we can prove any players did steroids years ago. All we can do is speculate. Some people are still arguing that steroids don't even help baseball players. Personally, I just don't care. Have a good testing and discipline policy, and then move on. I don't care who says what in federal court because it won't result in anything happening other than, possibly, some asterisks.

camisadelgolf
02-12-2008, 09:53 AM

In my area of Germany, when I piss at a public urinal and another man soon walks in the door, he will say the equivalent of 'bon appetit'.

blumj
02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Rotaries/traffic circles. If you set out to create a way to put roads together that would cause the most possible driver confusion and danger, this is exactly what you'd design.

westofyou
02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Rotaries/traffic circles. If you set out to create a way to put roads together that would cause the most possible driver confusion and danger, this is exactly what you'd design.

They are a relic of the horse and buggy era, thus designed for slower traffic approaches then we are used to these days... my BIL got into a wreck the first time he confronted the only one here in Portland.

Roy Tucker
02-12-2008, 10:57 AM

First time I encountered these was driving in Boston. I was quickly reduced to a quivering mass of jello.

I since have gotten good at them. No eye contact, cut off the weak, and ruthlessly every man for himself. Driving a rental car that you don't give a crap about helps too.

Chip R
02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
First time I encountered these was driving in Boston. I was quickly reduced to a quivering mass of jello.

Same here. I thought I'd escaped them after I left Boston this summer but I stopped in Gettysburg and they had one right in the middle of town. Fortunately, Gettysburg isn't the metropolis Boston is so I just evaded it.

Dom Heffner
02-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't get that show "Lockup" on MSNBC. Holy cow, go away already. Who watches that crap?

It's like they have this news network with 24 hours of talk shows, and then between 10:00 and 11 PM, they show this awful show about life behind bars at every prison system in the country.

Look- prison life stinks. I don't need to know just how bad it stinks, especially on a news channel. Put that stuff on A&E.

Another I don't get: on the Crime and Investigation Network they don't have commercials, but they have these long-winded mini-documentaries that cover a famous criminal or crime. They are T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E.

I don't get why they don't just show commercials. They'd make money, and I'd watch their channel.

MaineRed
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Well yeah, everything tastes better with a whole stick of butter in it, but your arteries will hate you.

No doubt but I wasn't talking about healthy cooking, which Rachel does very little of herself.

Whenever I used to watch her everything had bacon or ground beef or cheese so I don't think she his much better. He continual weight gain seems to back that up. If you want to eat super healthy, you probably shouldn't be watching either one of them.

WMR
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't get that show "Lockup" on MSNBC. Holy cow, go away already. Who watches that crap?

It's like they have this news network with 24 hours of talk shows, and then between 10:00 and 11 PM, they show this awful show about life behind bars at every prison system in the country.

Look- prison life stinks. I don't need to know just how bad it stinks.

Interesting you bring that up, I watch that show religiously.

I guess because one of my interests is criminal defense... I inhale anything dealing with the 'criminal mind' voraciously.

MaineRed
02-12-2008, 12:24 PM

I get the show but I am with you on not getting why it has to be on daily. Twice a year seems more appropriate.

OldRightHander
02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
The freight broker I just spoke with who told me that $350 to take a load from Dallas to Seattle was a good rate. For five times that rate I might think about it, but $350?

Roy Tucker
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
"Survivor"-type shows. I get there are no rules and everyone stabs each other in the back. I just don't get why people like to watch that ad infinitum.

I had a passing fancy with Rachel Ray like a crush on a HS cheerleader. Now I'm a Giada man. That's a real woman.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't get Women.... I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned yet, lol. Maybe I'm just gutsy/dumb enough to say it!

As for Rachel Ray. I'm in love!

vaticanplum
02-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Now I'm a Giada man. That's a real woman.

I'm pretty deeply in love with Giada myself. Her husband designs clothes for Anthropologie. I want to marry them both.

Highlifeman21
02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Giada's one of the worst cooks on Food Network.

I don't get why people think she has talent.

Her talent is her looks, and her smile. That's it.

SunDeck
02-12-2008, 02:27 PM
In my area of Germany, when I piss at a public urinal and another man soon walks in the door, he will say the equivalent of 'bon appetit'.

Not "Mahlzeit" I hope. That'd be too weird.

Rojo
02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I had a passing fancy with Rachel Ray like a crush on a HS cheerleader.

I'm after her pot o' gold.

TRF
02-12-2008, 02:59 PM

My wife started calling her "panchetta girl"

Now she calls her Pancleavage.

Strikes Out Looking
02-12-2008, 03:00 PM

I never notice her cooking anything. She only seems to eat (and not gain any weight). However, I'd rather look at her than anything else on Food Network.

TRF
02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I never notice her cooking anything. She only seems to eat (and not gain any weight). However, I'd rather look at her than anything else on Food Network.

Cat Cora rules. She can cook too. :)

Giada has too many teeth... 32 upper, 32 lower. It's creepy.

westofyou
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM

So what you are saying as she cooks as well as the Beatles play music?

Dom Heffner
02-12-2008, 03:15 PM

Look- prison life stinks. I don't need to know just how bad it stinks, especially on a news channel. Put that stuff on A&E.

Another I don't get: on the Crime and Investigation Network they don't have commercials, but they have these long-winded mini-documentaries that cover a famous criminal or crime. They are T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E.

I don't get why they don't just show commercials. They'd make money, and I'd watch their channel.

(Repost)

Highlifeman21
02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
So what you are saying as she cooks as well as the Beatles play music?

I would rather listen to the Beatles than listen to and or watch either Giada or Rachel Ray cook.

Highlifeman21
02-12-2008, 03:37 PM
My wife started calling her "panchetta girl"

Now she calls her Pancleavage.

So true.

Every damn dish she makes has panchetta in it, and plenty of it.

She's Food Network's attempt at a sex symbol in the kitchen, along with Sandra Lee (who also can't cook, but at least she admits it). I guess they are hoping that if you're blinded by her beauty (and she's good lookin, but she just smiles too damn much), you won't realize that she can't cook worth a lick.

vaticanplum
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
(and she's good lookin, but she just smiles too damn much)

:laugh: You have some high standards, Highlifeman.

On the plus side, you will thoroughly enjoy my future cooking show, "The Miserable Chef".

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-12-2008, 03:44 PM
I work with a guy who goes into our breakroom(has a tv in it) on his breaks...he turns the light off and watches Rachel for about 10 minutes..kinda creepy...then again he does the same thing with Robin Meade from CNN 1st thing in the morning..can't blame him on that one

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Also..

Is it just me or does every attractive woman on tv have a mouth that appears to be be at least one foot wide?

Highlifeman21
02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
:laugh: You have some high standards, Highlifeman.

On the plus side, you will thoroughly enjoy my future cooking show, "The Miserable Chef".

Rumor has it you're very attractive.

And if you're already self-depricating about your culinary talents, then you've got 1 leg up on those no talent butt clowns Giada and Rachel Ray. I'm convinced they both think their crap doesn't stink, and they walk on water. Couldn't be any farther from the truth.

I can actually stomach Semi-homemade with Sandra Lee b/c she's not hard on the eyes, and she admits that she doesn't cook, she just enhances dishes and what not. She's all fluff, with admittedly no substance. As long as someone's up front about that, I can rally behind the cause.

But seriously Giada, stop smiling.

And Food Network, stop showing Giada and Rachel Ray going on vacation. I could give two craps about either of them going over to Europe to try "native" cuisine. Part of me bets neither of them wanted the camera crews following them, either.

Roy Tucker
02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I guess I can't tell who is and isn't a good cook on Food Network. Everything is all set up, chopped, measured, diced, and sliced. They could make me look good. How can you tell?

I guess I'm in the minority, I like to watch the Giada and RR travel shows. With 3 kids either in or about to be in college, it's the closest I'm going to come for international travel for a while.

And Food Network HD rocks.

Chip R
02-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I guess I can't tell who is and isn't a good cook on Food Network. Everything is all set up, chopped, measured, diced, and sliced. They could make me look good. How can you tell?

And if that's the case and you follow the recipe, how can you go wrong?

TeamCasey
02-12-2008, 04:03 PM
RR admits she's not a chef. I think she's probably helped many busy parents get a real-life meal on the table. I like her. I'm more apt to cook RR or Paula Dean or Barefoot Contessa recipes than Giada or Sandra Lee.

Not many of us go to Kroger for foix-grah ....... nor can many of us spell it. ;)

TeamCasey
02-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Sandra Lee does too many pink fluffy dessert like stuff. *gag* If she can find a way to melt marshmellow or sprinkle coconut on something, she will.

She does make some interesting and potent cocktails ...... except for the pink ones.

Highlifeman21
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
RR admits she's not a chef. I think she's probably helped many busy parents get a real-life meal on the table. I like her. I'm more apt to cook RR or Paula Dean or Barefoot Contessa recipes than Giada or Sandra Lee.

Not many of us go to Kroger for foix-grah ....... nor can many of us spell it. ;)

RR admits she's not a chef, but she needs to admit she's not even a cook. Worlds of difference.

It was really interesting to watch Rachel Ray pair up with Mario Batali vs. Giada and Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America. Both RR and Giada were ridiculously out of their elements, and admitted it to a degree. Hard to say how both of them have handled their ICA exposure, but I'm hoping it was humbling for both of them.

Some people can handle themself in a kitchen and could be called cooks. Some take it to the next level and are chefs. I would say RR and Giada can both find their ways around a kitchen, but I wouldn't put it much past that.

Falls City Beer
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Giada looks a little like a tranny.

Highlifeman21
02-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Giada looks a little like a tranny.

That might explain all the smiling.

She knows she has a secret.

vaticanplum
02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
RR admits she's not a chef, but she needs to admit she's not even a cook. Worlds of difference.

It was really interesting to watch Rachel Ray pair up with Mario Batali vs. Giada and Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America. Both RR and Giada were ridiculously out of their elements, and admitted it to a degree. Hard to say how both of them have handled their ICA exposure, but I'm hoping it was humbling for both of them.

Some people can handle themself in a kitchen and could be called cooks. Some take it to the next level and are chefs. I would say RR and Giada can both find their ways around a kitchen, but I wouldn't put it much past that.

Well, there is a lesson to be learned here, I think. By general American standards, Rachael and Giada are both highly attractive (and not, contrary to some of the opinions expressed here, fat). I can't speak to the quality of their cooking, because a) I can barely tell an heirloom tomato from arugula, and b) I've never tried their food (I love to watch cooking shows these days, but I'd never go so far as to try to imitate them). But regardless of their talents, they make the cut for What Women Should Look Like When They're On TV. And before you start with the "but she's a dawg1!111!!" talk -- no. You are being fusty and it's like me saying I would legitimately kick Jake Gyllenhall out of my kitchen because he doesn't happen to be my type. By American standards, these are good-looking women. Beautiful straight hair, clear skin, nice figures, huge, frequent, and annoying smiles, the works. And they are appealing. They seem like nice girls.

The dude chefs on TV don't have to be nice or attractive. If they're nasty, they're seen as entertaining. If they're ugly, people don't notice so much because their food is so good. I'm not saying that an attractive female chef can't be good at what she does nor am I saying that a talented male chef has to be ugly. But I am saying that the pool of female chefs that are Food Network-ready is immediately smaller given America's standards of beauty. The best male chef in the country may well get his own TV show no matter what he looks like. If the best female chef in the country weighs 350 pounds and is mean, there's not a chance in hell she's getting her own show. And chances are there'd be someone posting on this thread saying they don't get how that Miss Nasty McFatterson ever got her own cooking show.

And I still like Giada and want her to make me dinner.

Highlifeman21
02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, there is a lesson to be learned here, I think. By general American standards, Rachael and Giada are both highly attractive (and not, contrary to some of the opinions expressed here, fat). I can't speak to the quality of their cooking, because a) I can barely tell an heirloom tomato from arugula, and b) I've never tried their food (I love to watch cooking shows these days, but I'd never go so far as to try to imitate them). But regardless of their talents, they make the cut for What Women Should Look Like When They're On TV. And before you start with the "but she's a dawg1!111!!" talk -- no. You are being fusty and it's like me saying I would legitimately kick Jake Gyllenhall out of my kitchen because he doesn't happen to be my type. By American standards, these are good-looking women. Beautiful straight hair, clear skin, nice figures, huge, frequent, and annoying smiles, the works. And they are appealing. They seem like nice girls.

The dude chefs on TV don't have to be nice or attractive. If they're nasty, they're seen as entertaining. If they're ugly, people don't notice so much because their food is so good. I'm not saying that an attractive female chef can't be good at what she does nor am I saying that a talented male chef has to be ugly. But I am saying that the pool of female chefs that are Food Network-ready is immediately smaller given America's standards of beauty. The best male chef in the country may well get his own TV show no matter what he looks like. If the best female chef in the country weighs 350 pounds and is mean, there's not a chance in hell she's getting her own show. And chances are there'd be someone posting on this thread saying they don't get how that Miss Nasty McFatterson ever got her own cooking show.

:thumbup::beerme:

And all those fun emoticons.

Very well said, VP.

I'll piggyback this later, I need to run to the market and pick up the necessary means to make fajitas tonight.

Rojo
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
And before you start with the "but she's a dawg1!111!!" talk -- no. You are being fusty

Message: who are you going to believe? Me or your lyin eyes.

vaticanplum
02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Message: who are you going to believe? Me or your lyin eyes.

Message being that Jake Gyllenhall is not attractive to me, but I'm capable of recognizing that he meets most of the criteria generally accepted in our society as being highly attractive. Whereas Sloth from the Goonies is attractive neither to me nor within our culture. Nor is Wilma, the fantastic short-order cook who runs the kitchen at the bar down my street.

TeamCasey
02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/community/fat_nation/images/two_fat_ladies_270.jpg

You forgot these ladies. I LOVED their show!

TeamCasey
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
..... but they weren't American and their handling of poultry products made me a little nervous from a microbiological point of view.

Roy Tucker
02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Heck, I don't watch Food Network to see a real live chef in action. If I want that, I'll go down to the local fine dining establishment.

It's TV. Here we are now, entertain us.

Strikes Out Looking
02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
This thread has taken quite a turn. FWIW, when I was in Vegas with my wife recently, we visited two Iron Chef restaurants, Flay's Mesa Grill at Caesar's Palace and Batalis B and B Bistro at the Venetian. My wife prefered Batalis, while I liked Flay's better. Both, however, were better than what I'll be cooking tonight.

ThatPitchIsDunn
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Unless it's for a cause like Breast Cancer Awareness or in support of Mother's Day, any variation of pink team jersey or hat is just bizarre. Girls can look just as hot in their team colors, thank you. Same goes for any variation of color for a team's apparel. Carolina Blue Yankee hats look stupid. I am a Cleveland Browns fan. Their colors are horrid brown and orange. Yet because I am a Cleveland Browns fan, I proudly wear these horrid colors in support of my team.

I don't really get Jennifer Garner's appeal either. She just looks strange to me. Mister Affleck can enjoy her company I suppose.

Rojo
02-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Message being that Jake Gyllenhall is not attractive to me, but I'm capable of recognizing that he meets most of the criteria generally accepted in our society as being highly attractive.

Ok, then mark me down as "just not gettin' it". I assumed they were chosen because they weren't threatening to other women.

Heath
02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
49 pages on Erik Bedard.

Falls City Beer
02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Message being that Jake Gyllenhall is not attractive to me, but I'm capable of recognizing that he meets most of the criteria generally accepted in our society as being highly attractive. Whereas Sloth from the Goonies is attractive neither to me nor within our culture. Nor is Wilma, the fantastic short-order cook who runs the kitchen at the bar down my street.

Giada still looks like she might be packin'. But honestly, some trannies are really stunning.

Degenerate39
02-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I would also like to add to my list:

The WNBA
or Basketball at all for that matter. I don't understand how people can like that sport.

wheels
02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll tell you what I don't get.

A certain female that rebuffed my advances eight years ago comes up to me like I should remember her, gives me her digits and pretends nothing happened.

I know I'm looking all good and stuff now, but c'mon....Does she really think I'm gonna call her?

Male/Female relations stink on ice.

That's what I don't get.

Rojo
02-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Giada still looks like she might be packin'. But honestly, some trannies are really stunning.

In transition?

Highlifeman21
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM

I'd argue that Giada is highly attractive by most standards, whereas Rachel Ray is at most "cute", as long as she's not talking. Once she opens her mouth, then she's quite possibly one of the least attractive people ever. Ever.

While Giada is Italian, it's amusing that her show is "Everyday Italian". She tries to make her dishes more complicated than they need to be. If it's supposed to be everyday Italian, then why stray from the simplicity? Why try and reinvent the wheel? Italian cuisine is usually mighty tasty, both the Northern and the Southern varieties, and while I applaud her efforts to introduce both varieties in her show, keep it simple missy. Let the natural flavors of the cuisine do the talkin', no need to augment and enhance dishes that quite frankly don't need any help in the taste department. I guarantee if Giada was hard on the eyes, she wouldn't have a show, b/c her food and her cooking just isn't that good.

Case in point: Barefoot Contessa. She is a really good cook, while being hard on my eyes, and I'd guess hard on the eyes of many others. Bottomline, she's just not attractive, but her cooking is. She's your Miss Nasty McFatterson example. She's a big girl, and she could use a make over and a gym membership something fierce, but wow can she cook. Giada? Not so much. Rachel Ray? She's less attractive than Giada, more attractive than the Barefoot Contessa, but is easily the worst cook of the 3. I guess RR is supposed to represent Jane Q Public, in being average but "cute" in looks, and having a similar appeal with personality. I find her voice and personality brash and abrasive.

As for the male side of the coin... There's varying degrees of looks and varying degrees of cooking skill/talent represented on the Food Network. The norm seems to be that the men let their cooking do the talking, and net them a show, whereas there don't seem to be too much eye candy on FN that can't cook. Sort of the reverse for the women. You have to have some serious talent, or be serious eye candy if you're a male and cooking on a regular basis on Food Network.

nate
02-12-2008, 07:12 PM
A certain female that rebuffed my advances eight years ago comes up to me like I should remember her, gives me her digits and pretends nothing happened.

Giada?

nate
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
All I know is if I make this (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24940,00.html) dressing from Giada every Thanksgiving / Christmas, I am considered a freaking cooking star.

gm
02-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Stephen A. Smith

Anyone who pays attention to someone else's hands in a public bathroom

The media-driven myth of "wasting your vote" on a 3rd party candidate.

WMR
02-12-2008, 07:27 PM
I think Rachel Ray is gross.

Get her on a treadmill and have her drop about 20-25 pounds and she'd be smokin'.

redsfanmia
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I think Rachel Ray is gross.

Get her on a treadmill and have her drop about 20-25 pounds and she'd be smokin'.

I wouldnt go as far as to say she is gross, I think she just looks like a normal lady. I get tired of everyone saying things about women's weight its just not right.

Red in Chicago
02-12-2008, 08:00 PM
While Giada is Italian, it's amusing that her show is "Everyday Italian". She tries to make her dishes more complicated than they need to be. If it's supposed to be everyday Italian, then why stray from the simplicity? Why try and reinvent the wheel? Italian cuisine is usually mighty tasty, both the Northern and the Southern varieties, and while I applaud her efforts to introduce both varieties in her show, keep it simple missy. Let the natural flavors of the cuisine do the talkin', no need to augment and enhance dishes that quite frankly don't need any help in the taste department. I guarantee if Giada was hard on the eyes, she wouldn't have a show, b/c her food and her cooking just isn't that good.

I guess I've not really seen where she has over complicated the dishes, especially when she tells you to just pick your own favorite jarred tomato sauce from the store for several of her dishes:eek:

I can't imagine a fellow Italian actually saying those words out loud.:barf:

KronoRed
02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
People who think skeleton looking woman are sexy.

redsfan1966
02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Judge/Courtroom shows...(Judge Judy, People's Court...etc.)....Glenn Beck.....any of MTV's crap "reality" shows (Sweet Sixteen, Cribs, The Hills)....The Winter Olympics ..Gallagher....Oprah....Ellen....Dane Cook....Jeff Foxworthy...more possibly to follow...

Rojo
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
People who think skeleton looking woman are sexy.

Me either. RR could drop 50lbs and she'd still scare me with her nomishness.

Now, for a hot full-figured food chick, its gotta be Nigella Lawson. Rrrrrrrrr.

vaticanplum
02-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd argue that Giada is highly attractive by most standards, whereas Rachel Ray is at most "cute", as long as she's not talking. Once she opens her mouth, then she's quite possibly one of the least attractive people ever. Ever.

Case in point: Barefoot Contessa. She is a really good cook, while being hard on my eyes, and I'd guess hard on the eyes of many others. Bottomline, she's just not attractive, but her cooking is. She's your Miss Nasty McFatterson example. She's a big girl, and she could use a make over and a gym membership something fierce, but wow can she cook. Giada? Not so much. Rachel Ray? She's less attractive than Giada, more attractive than the Barefoot Contessa, but is easily the worst cook of the 3. I guess RR is supposed to represent Jane Q Public, in being average but "cute" in looks, and having a similar appeal with personality. I find her voice and personality brash and abrasive.

As for the male side of the coin... There's varying degrees of looks and varying degrees of cooking skill/talent represented on the Food Network. The norm seems to be that the men let their cooking do the talking, and net them a show, whereas there don't seem to be too much eye candy on FN that can't cook. Sort of the reverse for the women. You have to have some serious talent, or be serious eye candy if you're a male and cooking on a regular basis on Food Network.

I throw at you the same criticism that i threw at FCB earlier today about knowledge: you know too much about food.

Ignorance is bliss, my friend. Eat pasta with ketchup for dinner enough, and Giada starts to look pretty much like an angel from heaven, I'm telling you.

And man, some of y'all (not you per se, highlifeman -- or at least, we've covered this) are hard on women. I think most of the women you mention are, empirically speaking, attractive. I recognize that I don't look at them exactly the same way that you do, but you must all be dating supermodels in real life.

But I don't want to drag this thread down too much or turn it into a battle of the sexes. On a positive note, here's something I TOTALLY get: the Westminster dog show. Abandoned Yorkie profile and all.

Falls City Beer
02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
And man, some of y'all (not you per se, highlifeman -- or at least, we've covered this) are hard on women. I think most of the women you mention are, empirically speaking, attractive. I recognize that I don't look at them exactly the same way that you do, but you must all be dating supermodels in real life.

But I don't want to drag this thread down too much or turn it into a battle of the sexes. On a positive note, here's something I TOTALLY get: the Westminster dog show. Abandoned Yorkie profile and all.

I don't know; I don't think it's wrong to find a "typically beautiful" woman to be unattractive. I find all kinds of women beautiful, but I also happen to know exactly what I find unattractive in someone. That doesn't make me or anyone else necessarily chauvinistic or even unrealistic.

Most truly beautiful women really aren't even camera-ready. I like frowning and, well, frowning just doesn't translate to the big screen very often. (Not pouting, mind you, frowning--scowling--glowering).

Ltlabner
02-12-2008, 09:37 PM
I recognize that I don't look at them exactly the same way that you do, but you must all be dating supermodels in real life.

I'm going to guess that no, no they don't date supermodels in real life. Just a hunch.

Ltlabner
02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't know; I don't think it's wrong to find a "typically beautiful" woman to be unattractive.

Yea, but there's a big difference between "she's not my type" and "shes a chubby pig" or "she's fat" when she's 5'6" and 130lbs or something.

Not saying folks here are doing that, but some folks just have a preference for an athletic body. Others, have unrealistic demands for a certian standard body type which is (IMO) a reflection on them more than anything.

LoganBuck
02-12-2008, 09:58 PM
So true.

Every damn dish she makes has panchetta in it, and plenty of it.

She's Food Network's attempt at a sex symbol in the kitchen, along with Sandra Lee (who also can't cook, but at least she admits it). I guess they are hoping that if you're blinded by her beauty (and she's good lookin, but she just smiles too damn much), you won't realize that she can't cook worth a lick.

mascarpone, I swear every dish of hers has mascarpone.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-12-2008, 09:58 PM
And man, some of y'all (not you per se, highlifeman -- or at least, we've covered this) are hard on women.

I think a lot of people have two standards. Their everyday standards and then their celebrity standards. Celebrities and recognizable people that we all know and can discuss tend to get treated a lot more roughly.

Not saying that it's right or wrong, just the way I know I usually look at things.

TRF
02-12-2008, 10:51 PM
another Giada pet peeve. everything is sooooooo good, or it's the perfect so and so.

Listen to her speak. you could make a drinking game based on her speech patterns.

*BaseClogger*
02-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow, I didn't realize so many other people watched the Food Network. I love the late night shows like Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives because they feature REAL food...

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I only watch Food Network for the articles.

MaineRed
02-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I had no idea saying I didn't get Rachel Ray would divert the whole thread.

I called her fat and compared to what she used to be, she is. She used to be petite, hot, cute, spunky. Now she seems excessive, pudgy, annoying and over done.

I like the Drive In shows too. Real people, making real food.

BTW, I wasn't going to comment because the thread isn't about the food network but since this is continuing, I have to say Highlifemans take on Ina Garten, Giada and Rachel Ray was spot on in my book.

MaineRed
02-12-2008, 11:20 PM
mascarpone, I swear every dish of hers has mascarpone.

I thought the same exact thing when someone mentioned the panchetta. But it isn't mascarpone. It is MaaaaaascrrrrPOHHHNNNAAY.

blumj
02-12-2008, 11:40 PM
49 pages on Erik Bedard.
That's nothing. NYYfans had 11 threads on Santana, some of which were 60-70 pages long.

gonelong
02-12-2008, 11:45 PM
I think a lot of people have two standards. Their everyday standards and then their celebrity standards. Celebrities and recognizable people that we all know and can discuss tend to get treated a lot more roughly.

Not saying that it's right or wrong, just the way I know I usually look at things.

Agreed.

I call this "neighborhood" hot. Jennifer Aniston doesn't do much for me when compared to other "well know hot girls". However, if she lived down the street from me, I am pretty sure she'd be known as the "hot girl down the street".

Its all relative.

GL

Rojo
02-13-2008, 12:23 AM

I actually don't "get" a lot of supermodels, what's-her-name, Tom Brady's gf, comes to mind.

Thing is, nobody is "empirically attractive". HumnHilghtFreel's point about "celebrity hot" is a good one. I had to believe these two were on tv for reasons other than their "hotness".

vaticanplum
02-13-2008, 08:50 AM
I actually don't "get" a lot of supermodels, what's-her-name, Tom Brady's gf, comes to mind.

Thing is, nobody is "empirically attractive". HumnHilghtFreel's point about "celebrity hot" is a good one. I had to believe these two were on tv for reasons other than their "hotness".

Rojo, if you honestly don't believe that there are general standards of beauty in America for both men and women, then there's no need to continue debating it. If you've managed to escape this in some 40+ years of life or whatever, we're not going to be able to suddenly point it out to you on a message board. Go pick up a magazine instead.

Falls City Beer
02-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Rojo, if you honestly don't believe that there are general standards of beauty in America for both men and women, then there's no need to continue debating it. If you've managed to escape this in some 40+ years of life or whatever, we're not going to be able to suddenly point it out to you on a message board. Go pick up a magazine instead.

I don't think anyone's argued that there aren't basic standards of beauty in this country, or anywhere.

I think it's just that the diversity of opinion in the *individual*, idiosyncratic taste in beauty is so great as to reduce that absolute standard to meaninglessness.

In any given magazine, I find a small sliver of the women therein to be attractive, typically. I can't explain all of it for myself, and I suppose I could explain why others might find that person attractive (long legs, symmetrical features, big eyes, no scabs, etc), but for myself, if something is amiss, then it's not there. Not of course, that I couldn't develop a renewed notion of their beauty under different circumstances or after having known them for awhile, but I genuinely find many more "everyday women" to be more attractive than the "standard beauties." But I'm probably in the minority on that.

TRF
02-13-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm in the group that finds Jessica Simpson unattractive. She has a man chin.

In fact I think she's an actual clone of Brittney. with some Kirk Douglas DNA around the chin area. She creeps me out.

Roy Tucker
02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Ahhh, I guess I've been around the track enough laps now to appreciate a woman for that inner beauty as well as the outer.

I like a well-turned ankle as much as the next guy, but I also enjoy the heck out of women like Paula Dean and Ina Garten and I'm sure they are a helluva lot more fun than a vacuous fashion model.

Or maybe I'm just old. Get off my lawn.

Falls City Beer
02-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Ahhh, I guess I've been around the track enough laps now to appreciate a woman for that inner beauty as well as the outer.

I like a well-turned ankle as much as the next guy, but I also enjoy the heck out of women like Paula Dean and Ina Garten and I'm sure they are a helluva lot more fun than a vacuous fashion model.

Or maybe I'm just old. Get off my lawn.

The one and only tipping point for beauty is personality, certainly.

But absent knowing the person, I find that beauty in a woman lies much more often in carriage than in exterior unchanging features (nose, eyes, breasts, what-have-you); I love, love, love a changeable face--Helen Mirren comes to mind--she can be gorgeous one moment, peculiar the next. I like that. I don't want to see someone with a ghoulish perma-smile every day of my life. That's not beautiful, it's disconcerting. Ironically, I find that Kate Winslet falls into the "changeable" camp, though I just railed on her annoying-ness in an earlier post.

While there are some Helens of Troy out there that have an irremediable allure, they are such outliers in my mind as to be, well, almost refined out of existence.

Highlifeman21
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
I throw at you the same criticism that i threw at FCB earlier today about knowledge: you know too much about food.

Ignorance is bliss, my friend. Eat pasta with ketchup for dinner enough, and Giada starts to look pretty much like an angel from heaven, I'm telling you.

I get the WDS too.

Really glad the Beagle won, given the other options.

If you look up the word adorable in a picture dictionary, and there's last night's winner.

So freakin' cute.

And I'd like to think I'm dating a supermodel. At least she's super to me.

I agree with what you said earlier that there are, and most likely always be, different standards for men and women in any sphere of influence. I wish it weren't that way, but I don't see change emminent on the horizon.

Highlifeman21
02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
another Giada pet peeve. everything is sooooooo good, or it's the perfect so and so.

Listen to her speak. you could make a drinking game based on her speech patterns.

You want a great drinking game?

Drink everytime Hulk Hogan says "brother" on American Gladiators.

Chip R
02-13-2008, 10:46 AM
You want a great drinking game?

Drink everytime Hulk Hogan says "brother" on American Gladiators.

Sure, if you want to pass out 10 minutes into the show, brother.

Highlifeman21
02-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Wow, I didn't realize so many other people watched the Food Network. I love the late night shows like Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives because they feature REAL food...

My favorite shows on FN (in random order):

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
Iron Chef America
Throwdown With Bobby Flay
Tyler's Ultimate
Any of Paula Deen's shows
Any of Bobby Flay's shows (for that matter)
Dinner: Impossible
Barefoot Contessa

Shows I can't stand:
Anything with Giada
Anything with Rachel Ray
Anything with Alton Brown (except ICA)
Simply Delicioso

Highlifeman21
02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I had no idea saying I didn't get Rachel Ray would divert the whole thread.

I called her fat and compared to what she used to be, she is. She used to be petite, hot, cute, spunky. Now she seems excessive, pudgy, annoying and over done.

I like the Drive In shows too. Real people, making real food.

BTW, I wasn't going to comment because the thread isn't about the food network but since this is continuing, I have to say Highlifemans take on Ina Garten, Giada and Rachel Ray was spot on in my book.

I agree.

She used to be very very attractive. Petite is a great word, tons of spark/spunk, and her personality wasn't overpowering. She still couldn't cook worth a lick, but she at least was engaging and seemed to have good ideas for tailgating style food. I could watch her show.

Then she got more popular. She put on a couple of pounds. Her personality became over the top. She started making up words and terms.

I almost never want to go to Dunkin Donuts, b/c it means having to see Rachel Ray.

*BaseClogger*
02-13-2008, 11:14 AM
designer clothes

vaticanplum
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't think anyone's argued that there aren't basic standards of beauty in this country, or anywhere.

I think it's just that the diversity of opinion in the *individual*, idiosyncratic taste in beauty is so great as to reduce that absolute standard to meaninglessness.

In any given magazine, I find a small sliver of the women therein to be attractive, typically. I can't explain all of it for myself, and I suppose I could explain why others might find that person attractive (long legs, symmetrical features, big eyes, no scabs, etc), but for myself, if something is amiss, then it's not there. Not of course, that I couldn't develop a renewed notion of their beauty under different circumstances or after having known them for awhile, but I genuinely find many more "everyday women" to be more attractive than the "standard beauties." But I'm probably in the minority on that.

You guys have taken my point way off course. I didn't in any way intend to appeal to people's individual tastes -- tastes always vary. My point was that there is a threshold of -- not even beauty, but attractiveness, that is the standard for women on television. YOU may not find either of these women attractive, but there's no doubt they both meet that threshold. Surely you recognize that -- even if YOU find those particular features repulsive, you can recognize that a well-figured, wide-grinned, clear-skinned woman has a better shot at a television career than an overweight, buck-toothed, acne-laden one, even if you find the latter more personally appealing.

A good example is that female newscasters are typically REQUIRED to wear their hair straight, because straight hair is believed within that industry to make a woman look younger than curly hair. A lot of men love curly hair on women, but this is an industry standard based upon what has been determined to be aesthetically appealing for television.

vaticanplum
02-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I get the WDS too.

If you look up the word adorable in a picture dictionary, and there's last night's winner.

So freakin' cute.

I cried when the beagle won. I'm not kidding. I probably would have cried for any of them if they looked that happy.

I want a dog more than anything in the entire universe.

Chip R
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I cried when the beagle won. I'm not kidding. I probably would have cried for any of them if they looked that happy.

Life imitating art?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218839/

SunDeck
02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
You guys have taken my point way off course. I didn't in any way intend to appeal to people's individual tastes -- tastes always vary. My point was that there is a threshold of -- not even beauty, but attractiveness, that is the standard for women on television. YOU may not find either of these women attractive, but there's no doubt they both meet that threshold. Surely you recognize that -- even if YOU find those particular features repulsive, you can recognize that a well-figured, wide-grinned, clear-skinned woman has a better shot at a television career than an overweight, buck-toothed, acne-laden one, even if you find the latter more personally appealing.

A good example is that female newscasters are typically REQUIRED to wear their hair straight, because straight hair is believed within that industry to make a woman look younger than curly hair. A lot of men love curly hair on women, but this is an industry standard based upon what has been determined to be aesthetically appealing for television.

I'll lend a little support here. This woman never, I say NEVER could have become a star today:

http://obits.eons.com/obits/tributes/ella_fitzgerald/7779-1-photo.jpg

For those of you sad creatures who don't recognize who this is- it's Ella Fitzgerald, not an oil painting by any stretch, but maybe the best voice ever to grace the jazz scene.

vaticanplum
02-13-2008, 12:33 PM
For those of you sad creatures who don't recognize who this is- it's Ella Fitzgerald, not an oil painting by any stretch, but maybe the best voice ever to grace the jazz scene.

And I'd argue that Abraham Lincoln would have a harder time getting elected to the presidency if he ran in the TV age. That may be a stretch, but it's just a point that the standards aren't necessarily exclusive to women.

SunDeck
02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
And I'd argue that Abraham Lincoln would have a harder time getting elected to the presidency if he ran in the TV age. That may be a stretch, but it's just a point that the standards aren't necessarily exclusive to women.

http://unitedcats.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/nixon_kennedy.jpg

Roy Tucker
02-13-2008, 12:51 PM

"Abey-baby, you gotta lose the stovepipe hat and beard. And try smiling every so often".

Falls City Beer
02-13-2008, 12:55 PM

Of course I can admit there's a "range" of camera-ready qualities that a woman must possess. But that changes over time a lot, and well, I admitted it already in my post above.

Sure there are "rules" for camera-readiness; I don't know that anyone argued otherwise, though, did they?

NJReds
02-13-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't get just about anything on network TV and a lot of cable TV as well. From the daytime nonsense to the awful primetime shows.

American Idol

Obsession with celebrities and certain criminals/criminal cases

Media overreaction to just about everything -- worst ever, best ever or this will kill you and that is bad for you, etc.

Rojo
02-13-2008, 01:06 PM

Oh, I believe there's a standard. I was just responding to the "dating supermodels" line. By that standard, however, I'd argue RR and Giadi fall way short.

OldRightHander
02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
There seems to be a standard with cable news. How often can you turn on any of them and find a woman anchor or reporter who isn't attractive?

Rojo
02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Media overreaction to just about everything -- worst ever, best ever or this will kill you and that is bad for you, etc.

My favorite line came from a local news promo about the new style of kid's pants with lots of pockets: "Are Bay Area teens DRESSED TO KILL?"

Hilarious.

IslandRed
02-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I rarely watch the actual cooking shows, but I watch some of the Food Network shows about places to eat. I liked Rachael Ray a lot in the early $40 A Day shows. And the Diners & Dives etc., and some of the Bobby Flay shows... good stuff. There's also a show on MOJO called "Three Sheets" that I've caught a couple of times. I'm not much of a drinker but that show can be pretty funny.

I love, love, love a changeable face--Helen Mirren comes to mind--she can be gorgeous one moment, peculiar the next. I like that. I don't want to see someone with a ghoulish perma-smile every day of my life.

I also have a strong preference for the low-maintenance, expressive, naturally smiling, fresh face, as opposed to the breathing mannequins.

Absolutely.

Back to the subject of the thread, here's what I don't get about dog shows in general -- if the judging is supposed to measure the dog against the standard of the breed, why do poodles win so often? Are all poodles perfect? I always thought being a dog-show judge would be the easiest gig ever: judge each dog against the standard of the breed and then pick the poodle.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Yea, but there's a big difference between "she's not my type" and "shes a chubby pig" or "she's fat" when she's 5'6" and 130lbs or something.

Not saying folks here are doing that, but some folks just have a preference for an athletic body. Others, have unrealistic demands for a certian standard body type which is (IMO) a reflection on them more than anything.

I honestly think that most women that everyone attaches "hot, sexy'' to is usually not as attractive as someone who can go out, not wear makeup, and still look gorgeous! But I guess that everyone has their own opinion.

BoydsOfSummer
02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Little known fact: I am a licensed U.K.C show judge.

Yay for the Beagle. I raised them for twenty years. Outstanding lil fellers.

Dom Heffner
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
And I'd argue that Abraham Lincoln would have a harder time getting elected to the presidency if he ran in the TV age.

I'll bet Abe Lincoln didn't look that bad for the era.

While the Nixon and Kennedy picture is intriguing, that election was so close it could have gone either way. My feeling is that it wasn't Kennedy's good looks that put him over the edge.

And ugly Nixon ended up gettting elected later- twice.

marcshoe
02-13-2008, 04:59 PM
I'll bet Abe Lincoln didn't look that bad for the era.

While the Nixon and Kennedy picture is intriguing, that election was so close it could have gone either way. My feeling is that it wasn't Kennedy's good looks that put him over the edge.

McClellan called him a gorilla, and others made less flattering remarks. There is a story of a woman who had went to ask a favor of him, and after he granted it, she said something to the effect of, "everyone says he's ugly, but to me he looked very nice." Far from an accurate quote, but you get the idea.

marcshoe
02-13-2008, 05:01 PM
...this reminds me, I don't get modern-day Confederates.

Dom Heffner
02-13-2008, 05:11 PM
McClellan called him a gorilla, and others made less flattering remarks. There is a story of a woman who had went to ask a favor of him, and after he granted it, she said something to the effect of, "everyone says he's ugly, but to me he looked very nice." Far from an accurate quote, but you get the idea.

You may very well be correct- but I have a whole slew of photographs from the Civil War and none of those boys look good. But I would take the opinion of someone from the era over my own assessment, I guess.

Ravenlord
02-13-2008, 06:23 PM
partisanship

greed

racism

all double standards

Juan Castro

non-Irish whiskey

American lagers

Light beer

Light rum

Tim and Eric doing anything...

Witchdoctor

dismissing everything from an entertainment genre simply because you've decided you don't like any of it. i did this for years with death metal and musicals.

how vodka suddenly became "girly"

anti-drug and anti-smoking commercials, all they do is make me want drugs and cigars.

waiting til April to do your taxes

people who don't like Amanda Palmer's song writing

Ohio's need to crush it's economy while already running a deficit

people who hate Wilde and Emmerson

hating reptiles

i'm sure more will follow...

ThatPitchIsDunn
02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
non-Irish whiskey

I'll be the first voice of dissent here for this, Ravenlord. I love me a good Kentucky bourbon. Woodford Reserve on the rocks, sir yes sir.

Ravenlord
02-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I'll be the first voice of dissent here for this, Ravenlord. I love me a good Kentucky bourbon. Woodford Reserve on the rocks, sir yes sir.

i get a lot of grief from my friends for my view of whiskey. bouron i think might be the worst thing i've ever tasted. ironically, one of my favorite beers is actually brewed in old bourbon casks.

redsfan1966
02-13-2008, 06:48 PM
the Hot Stove League having to air on 1530HOMER...

Rojo
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I like Irish Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch, Canadian Blended -- basically all whiskeys. Never much cared for the clear stuff.

Falls City Beer
02-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I like Irish Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch, Canadian Blended -- basically all whiskeys. Never much cared for the clear stuff.

Me too. I hate gin most of all.

vaticanplum
02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
You may very well be correct- but I have a whole slew of photographs from the Civil War and none of those boys look good. But I would take the opinion of someone from the era over my own assessment, I guess.

He was viewed as a freak by those who saw him in person, actually. It was not so much the face (which was also viewed as unattractive) but the stance. He was 6'4" which was all but a giant at the time, but was incredibly skinny which, given the 160 years between this time and the Rachael Ray era, was viewed as extremely unattractive. Because of the accounts of the size of his freakishly long limbs and his poor health, he is believed to have suffered from Marfan's syndrome, which makes a person traditionally unattractive due to the disproportionately long limbs and sunken chest. Basically, he was viewed as a misshaped freak with very harsh facial features.

But, take your pick, really. I think Martin Van Buren would have been laughed off television as well. Franklin Pierce, on the other hand, was a total hottie. He was also a horrible president.

I totally get gin. On a deep, soul-moving level.

SunDeck
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM

I used to think that, too.

http://storage.kanshin.com/free/img_18/189309/1572656427.jpg

KronoRed
02-13-2008, 08:18 PM
...this reminds me, I don't get modern-day Confederates.

Same...same.

gonelong
02-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Woodford Reserve on the rocks, sir yes sir.

I concur. Will be bringing back a bottle or two this spring.

Back porch, campfire, Woodford Reserve, and someone to share it with. Yes sir.

GL

Rojo
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM

The only booze I won't touch, just awful.

RFS62
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
http://unitedcats.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/nixon_kennedy.jpg

The thing about Nixon that a still photo didn't show was how nervous and uneasy he looked, while JFK was smooth as buttah.

Nixon's upper lip was sweating too, which added to his image problems. That debate changed history and the way politicians used television forever.

TRF
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM

wuss.

I'm not a drinker. I'm really not a drinker.

But if I were, TEQUILA would be my choice.

makes me fiery.:all_cohol

Dom Heffner
02-13-2008, 09:25 PM
The thing about Nixon that a still photo didn't show was how nervous and uneasy he looked, while JFK was smooth as buttah.

I totally agree- and people made big deal out of it and still do- I guess it's just hard to sort of buy that when Kennedy barely won, unless he was so much of an underdog up until the debate, which could have given him just enough to push him past Nixon.

Dom Heffner
02-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I can't think of a better way to spend my 3,000th post than to spout off on one thing I will never get: The Truckin' Bozo Show.

Was there anything worse as a kid to fall asleep listening to extra innings with Andy Mac, only to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to hear a bunch of p***ed off truckers talk about bringing this country to a halt every night?

Don't get me wrong- I am actually someone who thinks truckers don't get paid enough and they don't get the respect they deserve for what they do for the country, but what on earth is that show doing on a radio station that is mostly news and sports?

It's like a 5 hour gripe fest made up of Hee Haw, a CB radio broadcast, truck stop comedy, and union meeting all rolled into one.

I never got that show.

Falls City Beer
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I can't think of a better way to spend my 3,000th post than to spout off on one thing I will never get: The Truckin' Bozo Show.

Was there anything worse as a kid to fall asleep listening to extra innings with Andy Mac, only to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to hear a bunch of p***ed off truckers talk about bringing this country to a halt every night?

Don't get me wrong- I am actually someone who thinks truckers don't get paid enough and they don't get the respect they deserve for what they do for the country, but what on earth is that show doing on a radio station that is mostly news and sports?

It's like a 5 hour gripe fest made up of Hee Haw, a CB radio broadcast, truck stop comedy, and union meeting all rolled into one.

I never got that show.

You're not their demographic.

Ravenlord
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM

i like gin mixed with sprite. otherwise, i can leave it. it's not bad, but it's not good either. kinda like how Miller High Life is to me.

back to things i don't get:

being proud of being ignorant

NBA

"peacenicks" who start fist fights because the other person isn't a "peacenick". i witnessed it twice in one day this past October...

different recipes for pop depending on wheather it's fountain, glass bottle, plastic bottle, or in a can.

the English Royal Family

salt content of most soups

littering

reality tv

saki

Dragon Ball series

Emily Bronte

Dom Heffner
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
You're not their demographic.

I know, but I'm not the demographic for the Today Show, and I get that.

As well, the fact that I'm not the demographic is sort of my point. They go from Reds games- something very popular- to a show that caters to a niche market.

It's a bit odd that 20&#37; of WLW's airtime is devoted to that kind of show.

Ravenlord
02-13-2008, 09:54 PM
wuss.

my only problem with Tequila is it makes me very violent. and i don't even have to be intoxicated for it to start happening either.:(

*BaseClogger*
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Franklin Pierce, on the other hand, was a total hottie. He was also a horrible president.

If it wasn't for Pierce's immense suckitude the Republican Party, and subsequently Abraham Lincoln, may not have come into power. So everybody remember to thank Franklin Pierce...

Ltlabner
02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I know, but I'm not the demographic for the Today Show, and I get that.

As well, the fact that I'm not the demographic is sort of my point. They go from Reds games- something very popular- to a show that caters to a niche market.

It's a bit odd that 20% of WLW's airtime is devoted to that kind of show.

Yea, but in that time slot, who is more likely to be awake and listening to the radio? The factory guy who just listened to a ballgame and has to be up at 5:30am or the millions of long haul truckers who run at night to avoid trafic?

It's a niche market when looking at the overall picture, but in that time slot truckers might actually be the majority, or at least a very large market to target.

Dom Heffner
02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Great point. For me, it just doesn't fit the brand.

Ltlabner
02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Great point. For me, it just doesn't fit the brand.

And maybe it has something to do with the signal being stronger at night. In the day time they aim at a local audience, but at night when you are covering 20+ states or whatever, it makes more sense to aim at a more national or at least regional market?

Just guessing.

I was always more disturbed when I'd fall asleep during a Reds game when they were out west, and wake up at 3am and Marty and Joe were still on the radio.

RedFanAlways1966
02-13-2008, 10:20 PM
I was always more disturbed when I'd fall asleep during a Reds game when they were out west, and wake up at 3am and Marty and Joe were still on the radio.

Only if it took them 15-30 minutes to give the score of the game! I want to go to bed and asleep after waking up, but I "must" know the score of the game. Dead tired and wanting to fall back to sleep, but the REDS-junkie in me makes me stay awake to hear the score. And of course, when this happens, Marty and Joe seemed to take forever to tell me. It was as if they knew and they were torturing me with sleep deprivation. :)

WMR
02-13-2008, 10:37 PM
LARRY THE FREAKIN' CABLE GUY. Just awful.

WMR
02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
And they keep on churning out those godawful movies of his... excellent personification of the mediocrity of Hollywood today.

OldRightHander
02-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Regarding the Bozo, he's not even on 700 anymore. His son has that time slot now, but the show is pretty much the same. When you're pulling an all nighter, like I'm getting ready to do now, that show can be a life saver, not to mention being the best source for nationwide traffic and weather info. Sometimes you need to know the conditions 400 miles away because you're going to be in that area in another 6 1/2 hours. Yeah, it can be a trucker gripe fest, but it's not like there isn't plenty to gripe about.

WMR
02-13-2008, 10:43 PM
As a trucker, have you ever considered getting satellite radio, ORH? You would love it.

*BaseClogger*
02-13-2008, 10:53 PM
head-to-head fantasy baseball

Hollcat
02-14-2008, 01:39 AM
The freight broker I just spoke with who told me that $350 to take a load from Dallas to Seattle was a good rate. For five times that rate I might think about it, but $350?

With diesel at 3.35 /gal you would have to get about 20 mpg just to break even! What kind of mpg you get in that Dodge?

02-14-2008, 02:27 AM
Check this out
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30433

OldRightHander
02-14-2008, 06:04 AM
As a trucker, have you ever considered getting satellite radio, ORH? You would love it.

I have XM, a must during baseball season. Incidentally, it's now 400 miles and 35 degrees cooler since my last post. I think I'm heading in the wrong direction.

OldRightHander
02-14-2008, 06:08 AM
With diesel at 3.35 /gal you would have to get about 20 mpg just to break even! What kind of mpg you get in that Dodge?

I've just pulled a light load a little over 400 miles (Dallas to Jackson, MS) and I'm getting 20.7 mpg at the moment driving at about 67 mph. I've got to get to Birmingham, but I'm ahead of schedule, so I think it's nap time now.

NJReds
02-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I forgot one. I don't get ESPN News' ticker that has to show so many stats from every game. Just give me the score. Thanks.

*BaseClogger*
02-14-2008, 09:15 AM
I forgot one. I don't get ESPN News' ticker that has to show so many stats from every game. Just give me the score. Thanks.

Two Words: Fantasy Sports

NJReds
02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Two Words: Fantasy Sports

Hardcore fantasy players get their stats on the Internet. Tickers are for scores.

vaticanplum
02-14-2008, 11:31 AM
People who take half, or even a quarter or less, of a cookie or donut from a box of public offering, thus touching others' future food and leaving it to get stale there for sombody else. I think the majority of the time they end up coming back and taking half of another anyway. You only live once, kids. Take a whole freaking cookie and be done with it.

Highlifeman21
02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Bad golfers who refuse to use the correct equipment.

If you're a bad golfer, you need all the help you can get. Embrace technology. Don't use what a Tour Pro uses. Especially their golf ball. Bad golfers need spin, and lots of it. Stop playing Pro Vs. It's a waste of your money, and it's actually hurting your bad golf game. Also, you don't swing like a Tour Pro, you don't generate that kinda clubhead speed. You don't need to swing a telephone pole, you need to swing a garden hose. Use a regular flex shaft, for pete's sake.

I cringe when I'm giving lessons and people have the completely wrong equipment in their bag. Let me save you some money on lessons; use that money to buy the right equipment. You'll thank me later.

Dom Heffner
02-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Regarding the Bozo, he's not even on 700 anymore. His son has that time slot now, but the show is pretty much the same. When you're pulling an all nighter, like I'm getting ready to do now, that show can be a life saver, not to mention being the best source for nationwide traffic and weather info. Sometimes you need to know the conditions 400 miles away because you're going to be in that area in another 6 1/2 hours. Yeah, it can be a trucker gripe fest, but it's not like there isn't plenty to gripe about.

I'll bet for truckers, it's a life saver. I'm happy you enjoy it.

For non-truckers, it's excruciating.

Falls City Beer
02-14-2008, 11:48 AM
People who take half, or even a quarter or less, of a cookie or donut from a box of public offering, thus touching others' future food and leaving it to get stale there for sombody else. I think the majority of the time they end up coming back and taking half of another anyway. You only live once, kids. Take a whole freaking cookie and be done with it.

You know, I didn't mind it all that much when my Dad did this (and he did, all the time), but now that you mention it, it is a loathsome practice.

Funny story attached to that. One of the assistants in our office got an enormous Whitman sampler that she left open for anyone who wanted to grab a piece. Throughout the morning the treats dwindled, but I noticed as I was leaving for lunch that someone had bitten one in half and returned the uneaten portion to its little paper cup. I don't even begin to understand the mind that does something like that.

Dom Heffner
02-14-2008, 12:01 PM
head-to-head fantasy baseball

Interesting take. I've played both, and head to head keeps me interested, though it does have its flaws.

My league members developed a point system that is so awesome and reflects pretty true value.

Rotisserie fails for me in many regards. For one, it doesn't do rate stats, it just counts.

For another, most leagues give stolen bases 20&#37; weight, and that's way too much. Juan Pierre should not be that valuable.

I like head to head points based leagues. I want true value with common sense.

The downside to head to head leagues is that you can score the second most points in a week and get a loss. That stinks.

But I'd rather have that than have somebody do far ahead at the All-Star break that you can't catch them, which is what my experience with Rotisserie Leagues has been.

My answer to the above problem with head to head leagues is to have everybody play everybody every week. Kind of like combining rotisserie and head to head. I couldn't get it passed in my league, though, because my league loves head to head.

MaineRed
02-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Ice fishing. I will never understand the lure.

dabvu2498
02-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Nice pun.

Rojo
02-14-2008, 12:34 PM

So to speak.

TeamCasey
02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
wuss.

I can't drink it. Makes me do things that wouldn't make Momma proud. :p:

Rojo
02-14-2008, 12:38 PM
wuss.

Tequila's for college kids.

Raisor
02-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Drunkest I ever got was on Tequila back in college. We were celebrating my best friend's 21st b-day at the Cheetah in Atlanta. I can't remember that weekend.

To this day, I can't even smell tequila without getting sick.

Roy Tucker
02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Drunkest I ever got was on Tequila back in college. We were celebrating my best friend's 21st b-day at the Cheetah in Atlanta. I can't remember that weekend.

To this day, I can't even smell tequila without getting sick.

Must be something about 21st birthdays. I drank a whole bottle on my 21st birthday. I was horribly hung over the next day. I longed for death.

Back at work on Monday, I didn't feel good the 2nd day. The 3rd day, I thought the worm must have been bad and thought I had a permanent hangover.

The 4th day, my dad had to take me to the hospital. Turned out my appendix had burst. That's some bad tequila.

TeamSelig
02-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Almost made a new thread, but decided against it.

Things I get, that others don't:

Myspace... I'm not a huge fan, but I like it. I don't like it when people LIVE on it, but it's a social tool, nothing wrong with it.

Putting down hot chicks. Don't understand it, never will. Keep trying to convince yourself that they are ugly.

.08 BAC law. You know the rules, so get a ride or don't drink. (It's not that difficult)

Reality TV. Okay, some of it is really dumb - all of it is probably fake, but there is a reason they get such good ratings. It's addicting.

Falls City Beer
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Almost made a new thread, but decided against it.

Things I get, that others don't:

Myspace... I'm not a huge fan, but I like it. I don't like it when people LIVE on it, but it's a social tool, nothing wrong with it.

Putting down hot chicks. Don't understand it, never will. Keep trying to convince yourself that they are ugly.

.08 BAC law. You know the rules, so get a ride or don't drink. (It's not that difficult)

Reality TV. Okay, some of it is really dumb - all of it is probably fake, but there is a reason they get such good ratings. It's addicting.

You're right, this would have made a lame separate thread.

vaticanplum
02-14-2008, 02:43 PM

I know a handful of strong-constitutioned Mexicans who would disagree with you.

SunDeck
02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't think I have ever even tried Tequila.

Not that I remember, anyway.

OldRightHander
02-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I'll bet for truckers, it's a life saver. I'm happy you enjoy it.

For non-truckers, it's excruciating.

The rest of you should be sleeping during that time. At night, leave the road to the pros. We like it that way.

*BaseClogger*
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Rotisserie fails for me in many regards. For one, it doesn't do rate stats, it just counts.

Most roto leagues use BA, ERA, and WHIP...

For another, most leagues give stolen bases 20% weight, and that's way too much. Juan Pierre should not be that valuable.

Fantasy baseball isn't supposed to be realistic. BA, RBI, and R should not be that valueable either...

The downside to head to head leagues is that you can score the second most points in a week and get a loss. That stinks.

But I'd rather have that than have somebody do far ahead at the All-Star break that you can't catch them, which is what my experience with Rotisserie Leagues has been.

Almost every roto league I have been in we have had a guy that leads for the first few months, another guy that leads the next couple of months, and finally a third guy that wins in the end. Maybe that is just my personal experience. You are right that you can lose the league in your first couple of months, and some teams are never going to come back. But that is why I love roto; it is a dog fight from the start and extremely competitive day in and day out. You have to set your rosters every single day and make adjustments...

Rojo
02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I know a handful of strong-constitutioned Mexicans who would disagree with you.

Yes, but how would it have sounded if I said, "tequila's for Mexicans."