PDA

View Full Version : Out of options

FreelFanatic
02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Not sure if this has been covered on another thread yet or not, but according to the official Spring Training Notebook sent out by Rob Butcher, there are only 10 players on the 40-man roster that don't have options, if it would make a difference for last-minute transactions close to Opening Day:

Bronson Arroyo, Juan Castro, Francisco Cordero, Ryan Freel, Scott Hatteberg, Jeff Keppinger, Brandon Phillips, David Ross, Javier Valentin and David Weathers

Of course, looking at the list, you have to figure the roster spots for most of all these are pretty well set, barring injury or trade. < That's the consensus opinion reading other people's 25-man predictions, not mine (of course, we all know Castro wouldn't have much of a fan club if a poll was taken of all the RedZoners though).

I(heart)Freel
02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Stanton has options?!

Well... if we don't want to drop the contract, that might be one way not to waste the roster spot.

Giddyup.

BLEEDS
02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Stanton has options?!

Well... if we don't want to drop the contract, that might be one way not to waste the roster spot.

Giddyup.

He can refuse an assignment to the minors, so that play won't work...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

AmarilloRed
02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
He can refuse an assignment to the minors, so that play won't work...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

In that case, wouldn't he be a free agent, and the Reds would be rid of that awful contract?

BLEEDS
02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
In that case, wouldn't he be a free agent, and the Reds would be rid of that awful contract?

Not sure, although if it were the case, I"m sure they would have done it. I believe his contract is guaranteed (like all baseball contracts are) so not sure of the implications.

PEACE

-BLEEDS