PDA

View Full Version : Are We Really Gonna Carry 3 Catchers??

TheBigLebowski
02-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I read on rotoworld.com via Reds.mlb.com that we're seriously considering keeping Bako, Ross and Valentin on the final roster.

I thought we snagged Bako to lend spiritual veteran creaminess to Louisville and to fill in if Javy or DRoss gets hurt.

Is Baker just the frontman for some new Jerry Narron puppet regime?

Bip Roberts
02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I doubt it whole heartedly

steig
02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
of course we are going to carry three catchers. It doesn't make any sense to me but the team has done it for the last 2 years.

redsfanmia
02-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Javy is more a bat off the bench, its not a huge deal to carry 3 catchers since Javy will probably be the #2 pinch hitter behind Hatteberg.

02-19-2008, 06:21 PM
If the team carries 11 pitchers, then a third catcher is not out of the question. If they carry 12 than it is.

mlbfan30
02-19-2008, 06:30 PM
It's obvious they are going to get 3 catchers. I predicted it the moment they got Bako because he's better than Moeller. (Career OPS+ 62 compared to 60).

At first Baker was a horrible signing, then I decided it might not be too bad, now I'm remembering why it's so bad. Baker's choosing his favorites for who's going to play. He's influencing potential signings because he wants a leadoff hitter. He's getting Bako on the roster. He'll probably choose Affeldt in the rotation and get the veterans in the bullpen.

Blue
02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't know if this will happen or not, but I do know that Baker's comments mean next to nothing. When asked about Bako he isn't going to say "What? No way he's going North with the club. We just want to have him in AAA in case someone gets hurt."

GoReds33
02-19-2008, 06:59 PM
I sure do hope not. Bako is at most a guy who splits time between AAA and the majors on a good team. I hope that he gives a good showing in camp, so he can either be ready in AAA if we need him, or get a job somewhere else, I just don't want him on the Major League roster.

AmarilloRed
02-19-2008, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't be against it if it was the right 3 catchers. Craig Tatum or one of the other catching prospects. Sadly, I think Bako is just an example of Baker trying to have another veteran on the team.

Nasty_Boy
02-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Javy is more a bat off the bench, its not a huge deal to carry 3 catchers since Javy will probably be the #2 pinch hitter behind Hatteberg.

I don't agree with this statement at all. How many pinch hitters do you need? If you keep Javy, Bako, and Hatteberg you are left with Bruce, Freel, Hopper, Keppinger, and Wilson. If one of Freel, Hopper, and Bruce is you CF then you are left with the other guys fighting for 2 spots. Keeping Bako in no way makes this team better no matter how bad Javy is behind the plate.

I almost forgot that Mr. Golden Hands still has a Major League contract. So that very well could be another bench spot that is taken up.

Javy
Bako
Hatte
Castro
Hopper

Wow... talk about versitility!

gedred69
02-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I truly hope the 3 catcher thingy, is a vision from past, short-sighted regimes. This is why the Reds hired Baker, eh? He's got to have an idea what is realistically needed, rather than be paranoic enough about his decisions to think 3 catchers are needed, so as to have a back-up for a back-up at one position!!

mroby85
02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
i definitely don't like the idea of carrying three catchers, especially when not even one of them is very good.

TheBigLebowski
02-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Isn't it true, however, that there is a baseball stat that proves three average catchers = one great one? I think it's TACEOGO. Those stat guys can explain everything.

mroby85
02-20-2008, 12:16 AM
stats are overrated to some degree, in my opinion.

Z-Fly
02-20-2008, 12:09 PM

In a lot of situations that statement may be true. In judgeing what a player has done in terms of hitting in the past, stats leaves very little out of the story.

Nasty_Boy
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM

Ahh, the David Eckstein / Juan Pierre argument. ;)

TheBigLebowski
02-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Not when it comes to TACEOGO. Two out of three Reds managers agree.

Nasty_Boy
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
I read over on redleg nation that Dusty seems to think that Juan Castro has locked up the back up SS job.

fugowitribe
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
The whole reason for carrying three catchers is so we have a backup if Ross goes down late in a game, after Javy (who looks like Porky Pig to me) has already pinch hit. What I don't get is why we don't just use Craig Wilson as a pinch hitter/Emergency catcher, like he is supposed to be. Also, why on earth do we need to be two-deep in left-handed pinch hitters, if we already have so many in the lineup?

fugowitribe
02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
This would be an early "Strike 1" for Dusty if he chooses to keep 3.

redsfanmia
02-20-2008, 06:44 PM
The whole reason for carrying three catchers is so we have a backup if Ross goes down late in a game, after Javy (who looks like Porky Pig to me) has already pinch hit. What I don't get is why we don't just use Craig Wilson as a pinch hitter/Emergency catcher, like he is supposed to be. Also, why on earth do we need to be two-deep in left-handed pinch hitters, if we already have so many in the lineup?

Hatteberg came up as a catcher, Im sure he can catch in a pinch.