PDA

View Full Version : anybody dealing with nasty computer viruses?

cincinnati chili
02-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Misery needs company. They ruined my evening and I had work to do.

If anyone is experiencing the same problem, Microsoft has a patch.

At least the trojan had a sense of irony. It kept giving me pop up ads asking if I wanted to buy virus software.

OldRightHander
02-20-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm a Mac user. What's a virus?

westofyou
02-20-2008, 09:31 AM

It's the same thing that happens to ones own computer that happened to the Mac Revolution 20 years ago... or that's at least how I see it. :p:

Now if Mac had been the shareholder of most of the OS's in the world I bet there would be a mess of mac viruses out there.

Chili... I suggest mozilla if you aren't using it, that works as a good filter outside of the virus tools (Which I don't use myself)

HotCorner
02-20-2008, 09:59 AM

What's a Mac? :p:

Dom Heffner
02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Ever since I discovered the restore point, most of themn just go away, but I'm not as computer savvy as I thought I was, so I could be just masking a problem.

LoganBuck
02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Firefox===Less viruses

pedro
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
tip: do not use those digital photo frames. big article in SF Chronicle last week about most of tehm are infected with trojans.

02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
tip: do not use those digital photo frames. big article in SF Chronicle last week about most of tehm are infected with trojans.

I bought one of those frames for my wife earlier this month. I placed pictured dorectly to a memory card and inserted it into the frame. Now, this may show my ignorance in such matters, but could a virus end up on the card I have in the frame?

pedro
02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I bought one of those frames for my wife earlier this month. I placed pictured dorectly to a memory card and inserted it into the frame. Now, this may show my ignorance in such matters, but could a virus end up on the card I have in the frame?

IIRC from I read yes.

you may want to google search "digital pciture frame virus"

OldRightHander
02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Now if Mac had been the shareholder of most of the OS's in the world I bet there would be a mess of mac viruses out there.

Other than the fact that I happen to like the Mac OS better than Windows, that was another reason I went with Macs years ago. As long as Windows has a bigger share, or is used more in the business environment, the nasty little buggers who are out there making all the viruses are going to continue going after Windows. If they leave me alone, that's just fine.

Revering4Blue
02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Spywareblaster is a good free program that prevents spyware/malware from being installed.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

cincinnati chili
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
thanks for all your help. Believe it or not, I first noticed a problem after using an Adobe password-protected acrobat file. could be a coincidence.

SeeinRed
02-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Insignia Digital Photo Frames Shipped With a Virus
Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:14PM EST
See Comments (62)
A frightening new computer virus is making the rounds, and it's coming in through an unlikely source: Those cute, innocuous, and unavoidable digital picture frames.

SFGate has the story of a nasty piece of malware that has been riding along with Insignia brand photo frames, which were largely sold in Best Buy and Sam's Club stores (and possibly other outlets) over the holidays. The virus, which I've yet to find an actual name for, is reportedly "easy to clean," according to Insignia, but at least one IT expert (who was running antivirus software) tells a horror story about it, saying it took him 12 hours to rebuild his own, infected machine. All from simply plugging the frame into his PC.

This is hardly the first time that a technology product has shipped with a virus infection. Apple made headlines in 2006 for shipping a Windows virus on numerous video iPods. In recent years, products from Creative Labs, TomTom, Seagate, and even a cheap McDonald's gadget have come from the factory bearing unwanted gifts.

But infected photo frames represent an even trickier scenario since many of the people using them are likely to be computer novices as opposed to, say, those plugging in a high-end GPS.

Worried about your own new frame? The good news is that the damage appears limited to Insignia frames and only the 10.4-inch model (model number NS-DPF-10A). If you're sitting on one of these that you haven't yet plugged in, don't connect it to your computer; call Insignia at 877-467-4289 for instructions on what to do. If you have a different model frame, you should be OK for now

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/66647

There is what pedro is talking about. Sounds like a big mess to me.