PDA

View Full Version : Majik time?

REDblooded
02-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Feb 23 Mark Sheldon, of Reds.MLB.com, reports Cincinnati Reds RP Gary Majewski has impressed the Reds' coaching staff and front office officials so far in spring training. Majewski reported to camp stronger, in better shape and healthier than last season, and he has shown good placement with his pitches in live batting practice

Caveman Techie
02-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Hope this is true, god knows we could use some more help in the bullpen.

reds2221
02-24-2008, 08:35 AM
with Cordero as our closer, we definatly need a good set up man for him. If that report is true, and he stays healthy he could be our guy.

redsupport
02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
dream on, the guy is washed up, and look at his stats from last year

Caveman Techie
02-24-2008, 08:51 AM
That is the one problem I have always had with stats, they don't take into account injuries. Maj hasn't exactly lit it up for the Reds since coming here, however he hasn't exactly been healthy either.

What can Maj do when he's healthy? Maybe he could be a good setup man, maybe not. But it is encouraging to hear these kinds of reports out of Spring training about him.

reds2221
02-24-2008, 08:55 AM

yea I know, although he's only 27, his numbers have been going down consistently (era-wise) and last year in 32 games he had an era of 8.22! That is completly unacceptable for a reliever (or a starter for that matter). I really don't see him doing anything either, I just like being optomistic about the season :)

captainmorgan07
02-24-2008, 10:24 AM
good to hear he's finally healthy. Im interested to see what he can do now that he is fully healthy. Last year he gave up alot of seeing eye singles if i remember correctly. If he continues to keep his pitches down and uses his sinker he should be fine.

bubbachunk
02-24-2008, 10:46 AM

That is just an insensitive and stupid comment to make. The first year he was here he was already injured so that doomed him from the start. Now last year he also had injuries and was dealing with the death of his sister, now if you are going to be that cold and heartless to someone going through a rough time in his life you should not make a dam comment at all. Yes he gets paid millions to play a game we all love but that doesn't take away from losing a very close family member and how hard it is to learn how to deal with someone like that in every day life.

Trace's Daddy
02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
That is just an insensitive and stupid comment to make. The first year he was here he was already injured so that doomed him from the start. Now last year he also had injuries and was dealing with the death of his sister, now if you are going to be that cold and heartless to someone going through a rough time in his life you should not make a dam comment at all. Yes he gets paid millions to play a game we all love but that doesn't take away from losing a very close family member and how hard it is to learn how to deal with someone like that in every day life.

Word. I was thinking the same thing. I am rooting for Majik this year for those exact reasons. Let's see what he can do while healthy.

UPRedsFan
02-24-2008, 12:36 PM
If he's back, this bullpen will be very, very good.

Cordero in the 9th
Burton/Majewski/Weathers/Affeldt options in 7th and 8th

Virtually every game becomes a 6 inning contest. How many would the Reds have won last year if the games ended after 6 innings?

schmidty622
02-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Id rather give Roenicke every chance to make the team then to just assume Majewski makes it. If he can control it that 98 MPH fastball would be more valuable then anything the majik man can provide.

wlf WV
02-24-2008, 12:52 PM

I've thought the same. I expect Majewski to be what we traded for this year.

GoReds33
02-24-2008, 12:58 PM
If he's back, this bullpen will be very, very good.

Cordero in the 9th
Burton/Majewski/Weathers/Affeldt options in 7th and 8th

Virtually every game becomes a 6 inning contest. How many would the Reds have won last year if the games ended after 6 innings?I like those options, but as was pointed out on another discussion, Affeldt didn't come here to be a reliever.

LexingtonLegend
02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not going to hold my breathe on this after one week of spring training. I'd like to wait and see how he does throughout the spring, everybody deserves a shot. It would be nice to finally see the value from the Kearns trade.... i still get sick when i think about it.

AmarilloRed
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I like those options, but as was pointed out on another discussion, Affeldt didn't come here to be a reliever.

Affeldt is not going to be given anything. He was promised a chance to start, and he will have to impress in spring training to make the rotation. He did a good job relieving last year, and we will mst likely see him in the bullpen this year.

Va Red Fan
02-24-2008, 07:34 PM

His stats for last year are not true to what he could do. He was injured and should not have been pressed back into service. The truth will be revealed this year. I hope he proves that last year was just because of injuries.

fugowitribe
02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Id rather give Roenicke every chance to make the team then to just assume Majewski makes it. If he can control it that 98 MPH fastball would be more valuable then anything the majik man can provide.

I agree. I know we are kind of over-hyping this first week of spring training, but wouldn't it be nice to have a Zumaya like guy from the Tigers in the bullpen. I believe with a little bit of help, Roenicke could be that guy.

Btrester151
02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I am very interested to see what the majik man can do healthy. I remember reading how he was a flame thrower for the nats in 05 (constantly around 97/98 mph). I know those days are over but I'd like to see him in that 94/96mph range and that sinker down. Let's go gary

redsupport
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
46 hits in 26 innings, nice

_Sir_Charles_
02-27-2008, 02:24 PM
So far, so bad for Majik. He's on the mound currently and here's his line so far....

1/3 ip / 6 abs / 5 hits/ 2 doubles/ 3 earned runs and 2 wild pitches. Yikes!

_Sir_Charles_
02-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Make that 4 runs and 7 hits. Good lord. At least they're yanking him finally.

Btrester151
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
After his grapefruit league debut, I would like to retract my previous statement.lol BOOOO

JK. I still root for him. Its tough though. 1/3 an inning 4 runs. Ouch!

_Sir_Charles_
02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
3 run homer....2 of those belonged to Majewski.

So did I figure this out correctly? His ERA is currently 163.63. *sigh*

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/s/000/77/45/cd50_2.JPG

Hey Meat
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
It ain't Majik time, it's DFA Majik time.

reds2221
02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
ok, thank goodness this is st, he's still got time to work on it. I'm not writing him off just because of today (but it did scare me alot)

schmidty622
02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
cut his a$$ and get the young SPs in the pen.

ChatterRed
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Bailey's stats went down last year too. I think he's washed up. ;)

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Bailey's stats went down last year too. I think he's washed up. ;)

:confused:

ChatterRed
02-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Reds on the mound: Rotation candidate Jeremy Affeldt worked two innings and surrendered one run on three hits. Gary Majewski allowed six runs on six hits in one-third of an inning, giving him a spring ERA of 162.00. - CincinnatiReds.com

On the postgame report today.

durl
02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
It's only one game but....dang. Six runs on six hits? He didn't help his case today.

gedred69
02-27-2008, 07:57 PM
I'll give him another opportunity or two, because on his game he would be a nice fit, but jeez. It's now or never for him. Another failure, and he can get himself straightened out somewhere else. We got too many young arms that couldn't be any worse. Remember, Papelbon was a starter, with no spot, so the Bosox put him in the bullpen. And, that was where Arroyo was headed until the trade. Sure can't argue with Boston's success the last few years.

redsupport
02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
how many times do you have to see garbage to know it is garbage

durl
02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I've always thought that part of his garbage was due to injuries. This is just one outing and lots of guys get hit hard every now and then. Maybe he'll improve next time. I honestly think he's a better pitcher than what the Reds have seen since the trade. But I also agree with gedred69, if he doesn't show something good soon, the Reds have got younger arms in the wings that deserve a shot.

mlbfan30
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Part of the Reds problem over the years is that they like to go with convention with the bullpen. They will chose the veteren or the higher paid player everytime. They have an amazing unwillingness to allow new minor leaguers to make an impact. They might call up someone but will constantly option them back and forth and not put enough trust into the pitcher.

Salmon / Coutlangus / Coffey /McBeth /Shackelford

All these guys have been back and forth, while players like

Hammond / White /Franklin / Majewski /Santos /Saarloos /Gosling /Stanton /Guardado

all are acquired in trades or signings and given a much bigger opportunity to succeed. It would be only after many many bad performances until these people got released instead of just 1 for the minor league guys.

The difference in performance in these groups of players might be small, but the younger guys have much higher upside and a chance to breakout into good pitchers. Their confidence was always ruined because of the managers constant misuse and mistrust of the bullpen.

Maj fits in the 2nd category because he has failed with the Reds. The ONLY reason he's still around is because of the trade. If he was some minor league prospect, he would be an afterthought.

bounty37h
02-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey, maybe he's just the ultimate team player, and knows they have a lot of pitchers for a few spots, and tough choices ahead, so he was just wanting to help them make a decision, taking himself out of the race to head to Cincy.

Krawhitham
02-28-2008, 10:34 AM
ok, thank goodness this is st, he's still got time to work on it. I'm not writing him off just because of today (but it did scare me alot)

today, today, TODAY

How about every time he has put toe to rubber as a Cincinnati Red

Snowmanlikeme
02-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey, maybe he's just the ultimate team player, and knows they have a lot of pitchers for a few spots, and tough choices ahead, so he was just wanting to help them make a decision, taking himself out of the race to head to Cincy.

Priceless. That said--I wish he would improve to his Nationals form. Ill give him the rest of the spring to prove to me this was one bad outing. If he doesn't step his game up to the level of his peers though--i have no problem seeing him go.

Caveman Techie
02-28-2008, 12:10 PM
today, today, TODAY

How about every time he has put toe to rubber as a Cincinnati Red

injuries, injuries, INJURIES

If this is the first time he has been healthy since coming to the Reds then this is the first time you can "fairly" judge him. Now after that outing in spring things aren't looking as good for him, but it is spring training and this is what it's for, to work out all the kinks.

Hopefully he can bounce back from this and start being effective. If not then yes, cut him.

StrikeIndicator
02-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Now he says last year he was injured, and that he worked on things and is AOK and
good2go now.
Sorry
I said from my first post on this board last year he was injured and damaged goods and I still stick by it. The shoulder problems that have been evident last year will not be resolved by working out and changing mechanics (or did he say "deck chairs on the Titanic:)

UPRedsFan
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Pitched better today.

But for me he needs to pitch well every outing the rest of the spring to make this team. Otherwise put Cueto and/or Volquez in the pen

reds2221
03-01-2008, 04:02 PM
had a good inning, only giving up 1 hit with a strike out. If he pitches like that for the rest of ST he'd do pretty good for our pen

captainmorgan07
03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
give the guy a mulligan for his first appearance of the spring. Coutlangus has had 2 bad outings now. Affedlt might just replace him in the pen if he doesn't pick it up.

jmac
03-01-2008, 04:59 PM
give the guy a mulligan for his first appearance of the spring. Coutlangus has had 2 bad outings now. Affedlt might just replace him in the pen if he doesn't pick it up.

I would say Dusty may have a talk with Affedlt and tell him he can help this team most out of the pen.
Coutlangus is having a rough time so far and though it is only ST, it is still competition time for them.
Bray is hurt and Stanton is Stanton.

kentjett
03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
They want to give Majewski every chance to make it because they don't want to admit that they messed up when they traded Kearns. Majewski, Countlangus, Brower and Stanton should be cut ASAP. We need to give more time to our young guys and Mercker.

captainmorgan07
03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
coutlangus is a young guy why would you cut him and majewski. One bad outing for a spring doesn't automatically get you shipped out. Couter is struggling but he'll figure it out he'll prolly start out in louisville but we will see him back in cincy sometime.

TheBigLebowski
03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I honestly don't know how much more we need to see of this guy. He was an awful acquisition. It happens. Cut bait and move on.

reds2221
03-02-2008, 08:46 AM
They want to give Majewski every chance to make it because they don't want to admit that they messed up when they traded Kearns. Majewski, Countlangus, Brower and Stanton should be cut ASAP. We need to give more time to our young guys and Mercker.

I agree that our young guys need more time, but I wouldn't rule out Majewski just yet, he could do something this year

AmarilloRed
03-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I agree that our young guys need more time, but I wouldn't rule out Majewski just yet, he could do something this year

There is always hope. He has been bad the last 2 years, however, and he may never be the same player he was in Washington because of the injuries.

StrikeIndicator
03-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Pitched better today.
Did he really? Or was he facing the bottom of the line up and/or invitees to camp. Does anyone know the answer?

JN did that alot last year to prop up Stantons numbers after a bad outting, put him in against the bottom of the order and the pitcher.

This is the problem w/ relief stats, all you see in the box is what was done, not who did what at the plate.

LouisvilleCARDS
03-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Does anyone ever know what happened with regards to that complaint filed by the Reds against the Nationals for the trade for Majic, where he was hurt when he came over here? I remember hearing the Reds finally filed it mid last year, then haven't heard anything at all since. Did anything come out of that, or is it STILL being reviewed?

NorrisHopper30
03-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Does anyone ever know what happened with regards to that complaint filed by the Reds against the Nationals for the trade for Majic, where he was hurt when he came over here? I remember hearing the Reds finally filed it mid last year, then haven't heard anything at all since. Did anything come out of that, or is it STILL being reviewed?

Still being reviewed according to WK (saw it in an article a week or 2 ago).

At this point I don't expect anything to happen with it really, in regards to compensation.

LouisvilleCARDS
03-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Still being reviewed according to WK (saw it in an article a week or 2 ago).

At this point I don't expect anything to happen with it really, in regards to compensation.

Thanks, the most I would expect is maybe a high round MLB "compensation" pick - which wouldn't be too horrible I don't think. Better than nothing at this point, but since everyone in the trade hasn't exactly turned out good it seems to have been a wash. I know a lot of people here wouldn't be accepting a .230 batting Felipe Lopez taking up $5 mil of payroll.

jmac
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Did he really? Or was he facing the bottom of the line up and/or invitees to camp. Does anyone know the answer?

JN did that alot last year to prop up Stantons numbers after a bad outting, put him in against the bottom of the order and the pitcher.

This is the problem w/ relief stats, all you see in the box is what was done, not who did what at the plate.

Nice point.
Problem for JN last season was it didnt matter who Stanton faced as results were much the same.

reds2221
03-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Majewski pitched an inning today, no hits given up

jhiller21
03-09-2008, 03:01 AM
FWIW, Marty said Majewski was throwing the ball "much better" in the last two outings. ERA is still north of 35.00 from his horrific first appearance.

LouisvilleCARDS
03-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Given what we have on staff, may as well give him a shot. Anything is better than Stanton.

jhiller21
03-10-2008, 11:28 PM
His sinker looked decent tonight, he got out of Bailey's bases-loaded 1 out jam with a line out that doubled the runner off 2nd.

mlbfan30
03-10-2008, 11:47 PM
His sinker looked decent tonight, he got out of Bailey's bases-loaded 1 out jam with a line out that doubled the runner off 2nd.

The ball was hit hard, just at someone. It was a double play because the runners were going with the bases loaded. If the ball was hit 3 feet to the right it's a 2 run single. This outing was the worst possible thing that could happen since Baker will remember it over the bad stuff. 1 Hitter is nothing. Think Sample Size.

jhiller21
03-11-2008, 12:22 AM
The ball was hit hard, just at someone. It was a double play because the runners were going with the bases loaded. If the ball was hit 3 feet to the right it's a 2 run single. This outing was the worst possible thing that could happen since Baker will remember it over the bad stuff. 1 Hitter is nothing. Think Sample Size.

I was almost thinking the same thing, just trying to be positive seeing as he'll most likely make the club.

His pitches did have a good bit of movement though, not sure if he'll ever have the velocity he had before the injury.

redsupport
03-14-2008, 12:01 AM
how that garbage reliever do tonight, 2 runs in 2 innings, why thats a cy young performance from him. It lowers his era, any time he gives up less than twice as many runs per inning it is a brilliant outing for mr. garbage

mlbfan30
03-14-2008, 12:42 AM
how that garbage reliever do tonight, 2 runs in 2 innings, why thats a cy young performance from him. It lowers his era, any time he gives up less than twice as many runs per inning it is a brilliant outing for mr. garbage

But he's Magic. He can pitch with horrible results and still be on the roster.

JBChance
03-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Seems to me that He'll be the odd man out soon enough.

With Cueto and Volquez looking possible for the rotation, Affedlt goes to the pen (definitely where he should be). Plus Bray looks to be shaping up (VERY premature, though), and *gulp* Stanton appearing to throw better, and a host of others coming on (Burton, Salmon, Roenicke, etc).

He could, and probably should, start in Louisville.