PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Dorsey a Bengal?

WVRed
02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Just saw a mock on Scout.com that had Dorsey falling all the way to the Bengals.

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/732408.html

I would be on cloud nine if they drafted Dorsey. I like him better than Sedrick Ellis and if he can stay healthy will be a dominant defensive lineman. This could be a godsend.

WMR
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 10:54 PM
His injury questions scare the ever loving crap out of me. I still wouldnt pass him up though. Either draft the beset D line man left at 9 worthy of the pick.

I think we trade up a few spots this year for once.

NorrisHopper30
02-27-2008, 11:24 PM
I'll take Gholston over Dorsey in a heartbeat, his potential is huge.

I'd probably take Dorsey over Ellis, though - no way he falls to 9 imo.

I see the Bengals trading up (heaven forbid we actually do something to improve our team) to get Gholston.

WMR
02-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Gholston over Dorsey?????

NO WAY IN HELL.

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 11:27 PM

I see the Bengals trading up (heaven forbid we actually do something to improve our team) to get Gholston.

I think trading up is very possible. The top DL are very high rated guys mean while the pack after arent top 10 quality.

NorrisHopper30
02-27-2008, 11:28 PM

NO WAY IN HELL.

This is coming from an OSU hater, too. Gholston will be a top 5 pick, no doubt in my mind. He's a freak of nature, always around the quarterback. He did as many benches as Jake Long and ran a faster 40 than Mike Hart. He also has no injury history and did great in the psychological tests at the combine.

NorrisHopper30
02-27-2008, 11:29 PM
I think trading up is very possible. The top DL are very high rated guys mean while the pack after arent top 10 quality.

Yeah, I don't see Ellis, Dorsey or Gholston dropping to the Bengals at 9 and i'd hate to settle for a LB like Lauranitis or Connor. This team needs help on the D-line first priority - no exception IMO.

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 11:30 PM

NO WAY IN HELL.
Bengals medical staff + Dorsey = cripple

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I don't see Ellis, Dorsey or Gholston dropping to the Bengals at 9 and i'd hate to settle for a LB like Lauranitis or Connor. This team needs help on the D-line first priority - no exception IMO.

Lauranitis isnt coming out this year but id probably take him @ 9 if he was and everyone else was off the board

KoryMac5
02-27-2008, 11:31 PM
I can't see the Raiders taking Ellis over Dorsey. I know he is from USC and Al Davis has lost his mind, I just don't see it after Ellis's workout. I believe the Bengals will push to get Gholston perhaps switching picks and giving one of their 3rd round picks to move up. Marvin and Zimmer seem to want to move in and out of the 3-4, if that's the case Gholston is a no-brainer.

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 11:33 PM
I cant imagine it taking more than a 3rd to move up a few spots

KoryMac5
02-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Dorsey=Wilkinson

NorrisHopper30
02-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Lauranitis isnt coming out this year but id probably take him @ 9 if he was and everyone else was off the boardOh jeez, thanks for the reminder, completely forgot about that. Bengals have a lot of depth at LB I think, especially if Odell and Johnson come back, possibly even Pollack.

When healthy, a corp of Odell Thurman, Landon Johnson, Dave Pollack, Ahmad Brooks, Eric Henderson and Jeanty SHOULD be solid. I think that's an above average group right there.

No need to go LB, this draft should consist of more than 75% D-line and O-line. The O-line is semi-legit when healthy, but we are gonna need some new guys in a year or two once Williams, Anderson and Jones are gone.

Bip Roberts
Dorsey=Wilkinson

Im scared to death just thinking about it

Bip Roberts
I hope they tell us about Thurman before the dang draft :o

KoryMac5
02-27-2008, 11:39 PM
I just can't see Matt Ryan not being selected by Atlanta either, I love Mock drafts but I just can't figure where this guy is going with this one.

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 11:43 PM
I think if we move up ahead of NE we get one of the 3 Dorsey, Ellis, or Gholston. Trading with KC seems really possible.

CrackerJack
02-27-2008, 11:43 PM
I think it would be tempting to trade down a few spots, get a high 3rd rounder, and still get someone like a Keith Rivers or Derrick Shaw, IF someone like Dorsey or Ellis or Gholston or Clady falls to them, and someone in the mid-teens wants one of them.

The Bengals will need quantity as much as quality if Justin Smith, Landon Johnson, and Madeiu Williams bolt.

WMR
02-27-2008, 11:45 PM
If they can't get one of the premier defensive lineman, I'd almost prefer they trade down, honestly.

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I think it would be tempting to trade down a few spots, get a high 3rd rounder, and still get someone like a Keith Rivers or Derrick Shaw, IF someone like Dorsey or Ellis or Gholston or Clady falls to them, and someone in the mid-teens wants one of them.

The Bengals will need quantity as much as quality if Justin Smith, Landon Johnson, and Madeiu Williams bolt.

Yea if they cant get the quality they shouldnt draft a guy that isnt a top 10 pick. they could move back to the middle of the round and still draft one of the best LBers for sure.

KoryMac5
02-28-2008, 12:24 AM
This guy is moving up the ladder quick after a great combine. At number 9 he is a reach but Marvin and company may be able to trade down to get him.

Quinton Groves from the War Room website:

Groves is one of the best pass rushers in the 2008 NFL Draft but he is unlikely to be an every down NFL defensive end immediately. Groves project to be an ideal fit as a 3-4 rush linebacker in the right scheme. He could also fit well as a rush type end in a scheme that will protect him from being run at. He is ready to contribute as a pass rusher immediately and he was simply unblockable when healthy in 2007.

Cedric
02-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Dan Wilkinson would have been an all timer if he was developed and played under a great coach. It was both his fault and the usual Bengal way of not motivating a player. He also wasn't exactly put around great talent. It's amazing what talent around a player does.

I'm hoping for Ellis or Gholston. The only problem with Gholston is he can disappear at times and he doesn't have the longest arms. His past work in the LEO position is really good though for a team switching to a 3-4. Landon Johnson is gone probably and the Bengals don't have explosive talent if Odell blows up again.

WMR
02-28-2008, 03:40 AM
If we got the chance to draft Glenn Dorsey, it would be the best draft that the Bengals made in the past 20 years.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 03:56 AM
If we got the chance to draft Glenn Dorsey, it would be the best draft that the Bengals made in the past 20 years.

You cant be seriously saying that

WMR
02-28-2008, 03:57 AM
You cant be seriously saying that

Hell yeah I am.

We will look back at this draft 10 years from now and lament how we let Glenn Dorsey get away from us if that indeed occurs.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 03:59 AM
Hell yeah I am.

We will look back at this draft 10 years from now and lament how we let Glenn Dorsey get away from us if that indeed occurs.

The best draft in the last 20 years? :laugh: I dont know if I will ever believe that you really think that.

WMR
02-28-2008, 04:01 AM
The best draft in the last 20 years? :laugh: I dont know if I will ever believe that you really think that.

Because the Bengals have had so many scary-good drafts?

WMR
02-28-2008, 04:01 AM
I'm telling you that Glenn Dorsey is a franchise-changing type of talent.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 04:02 AM
Because the Bengals have had so many scary-good drafts?

2001 would be really hard to be topped. 3 probowlers came out of that draft.

WMR
02-28-2008, 04:03 AM
If the Bengals were fortunate enough to draft Glenn Dorsey, they would match that draft's success on that one pick alone. And once you count the other picks it would obviously be even better.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 04:05 AM
If the Bengals were fortunate enough to draft Glenn Dorsey, they would match that draft's success on that one pick alone. And once you count the other picks it would obviously be even better.

You need to go to sleep because you are getting delirious or something.

WMR
02-28-2008, 04:06 AM
You need to go to sleep because you are getting delirious or something.

Nope.

Cedric
02-28-2008, 04:27 AM

1984 and 2001.

Wait, 84 is over 20 years.

I'm old.

NorrisHopper30
02-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not buying the Dorsey hype.

bucksfan2
02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm not buying the Dorsey hype.

I am. Dorsey was disruptive in the middle last season and he was injured for most of the sesaon. If you could go Dorsey in the first and then a DE like the guy from Clemson or Miami in the second you could hopefully bolster your DLine.

Highlifeman21
02-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Gholson won't make it past the Patriots.

I'd prefer Gholson over Dorsey since he's a pass rushing DE as opposed to a hybrid DT.

WVRed
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
The way I see it, Dorsey was all but a lock to go no 1. If we had a top 3 pick, I would say look at other options. Right now though, if you have a top 5 player slip to you at nine, you have to at least look.

One mock I read had the Bengals taking Dorsey, Erin Henderson, and Jacob Tamme with the first three picks. I'd like to see Tamme fall to the 4th round though and use our third on another DLineman though.

CTA513
02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I would be happy with either Dorsey, Ellis or Gholston in the first.

If they can't get Dorsey or Ellis in the first then I wouldn't mind seeing them get Trevor Laws.
Not sure what round he will go in, but it will likely be higher than he was projected to go after having a good senior bowl and combine.

*BaseClogger*
02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Isn't Gholston destined for a 3-4 defense? Haven't followed the Bengals recently... are they switching to a 3-4?

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Isn't Gholston destined for a 3-4 defense? Haven't followed the Bengals recently... are they switching to a 3-4?

They kinda seem like it

Screwball
02-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Dude, if you're going by one player making the draft, 2003 had Carson Palmer. QB trumps DT.

LoganBuck
02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
The only question with Dorsey is the stress fractures. The rest is golden goodness. Any of the top three defensive linemen is fine in my book. I would rank them Dorsey, Ellis, and then Gholston. The Bengals get gashed in the middle they must get a DT especially one that can get some pressure on the QB, because Peko can clog the middle, he just isn't getting up field. Get me a tweaner DE in the second round, like Derrick Harvey.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Derrick Harvey interest me a lot also in the 2nd round. If only the Bengals were a few games worse last year :o

Buckeye33
02-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Derrick Harvey interest me a lot also in the 2nd round. If only the Bengals were a few games worse last year :o

Derrick Harvey will not be available to any team in the 2nd round.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Derrick Harvey will not be available to any team in the 2nd round.

Most drafts I have seen him is late 1st early 2nd. :dunno:

GoReds33
02-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I like Dorsey. He plays well, and even when he doesn't have size, or sometimes ability enough to get to the quarterback, he takes up blockers. He's quick, big, and agile. That's a deadly combination there.

flyer85
02-28-2008, 09:15 PM
everything I've read after the combine has Brohm's stock dropping ... it doesn't mean the Ravens would take Dorsey.

Buckeye33
02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Most drafts I have seen him is late 1st early 2nd. :dunno:

Must be some outdated mocks. I just looked at 5 different mocks that were post combine and the lowest he was was 17th to the Vikings.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Must be some outdated mocks. I just looked at 5 different mocks that were post combine and the lowest he was was 17th to the Vikings.

They werent too old but still its mock drafts and they all are pretty much worthless :D

KoryMac5
02-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Harvey's biggest asset was speed when he was in college, a pass rushing machine. At Florida he was 250lb or so, now he has put on about 20lbs to fit what teams feel a DE should be size wise. Unfortunately he lost his speed somewhere in the extra 20lbs he gained. I still think he is a first round talent but he is definitely slipping.

WVRed
02-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Phillip Merling(DE-Clemson) is another one to keep an eye on.

He compares kinda favorably to Justin Smith.

Cedric
02-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Harvey's biggest asset was speed when he was in college, a pass rushing machine. At Florida he was 250lb or so, now he has put on about 20lbs to fit what teams feel a DE should be size wise. Unfortunately he lost his speed somewhere in the extra 20lbs he gained. I still think he is a first round talent but he is definitely slipping.

Harvey was not a speed rusher. He used his extremely long arms and initial quickness to control at the POA. He had a good combine. He had a fine 10 yard split and with his arms he is fine. forty time is extremely overrated for a defensive end.

WVRed
03-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Harvey was not a speed rusher. He used his extremely long arms and initial quickness to control at the POA. He had a good combine. He had a fine 10 yard split and with his arms he is fine. forty time is extremely overrated for a defensive end.

Depends on how you decide to use him that determines if he is overrated or not.

Forty time isnt much in determining a DE just playing the line, but if you have a hybrid player like Gholston, it tells a lot. Somebody who can be used at both DE and LB.

sonny
03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Gholston > Dorsey. Yes, I said it.

Dorsey just reminds me too much of Dan Wilkinson.

cincrazy
03-01-2008, 06:49 PM

I loved Gholston as a Buckeye, but there's no way I'd take him over Dorsey or Ellis for that matter. He was too inconsistent. He'd blow up one game (Michigan), and COMPLETELY disappear the next (LSU).

cincrazy
03-01-2008, 06:52 PM

If I lost eight fingers in a tragic garbage disposal accident, I could still count the number of good drafts this franchise has had in the last 20 years on one hand.

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 01:54 AM
If I lost eight fingers in a tragic garbage disposal accident, I could still count the number of good drafts this franchise has had in the last 20 years on one hand.

Still the 2001 draft has to be one of the best drafts of any NFL team this decade

cincrazy
03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Still the 2001 draft has to be one of the best drafts of any NFL team this decade

True, not often you get guys like Chad and T.J. in one draft. However, I'd attribute that more to an extreme case of luck, as opposed to the Bengals knowing what they're doing.

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 11:16 AM
True, not often you get guys like Chad and T.J. in one draft. However, I'd attribute that more to an extreme case of luck, as opposed to the Bengals knowing what they're doing.

dont forget rudi was in there also, but yea pretty much any time you get a probowler out of the 7th round luck is probably the biggest factor

cincrazy
03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
dont forget rudi was in there also, but yea pretty much any time you get a probowler out of the 7th round luck is probably the biggest factor

Great points by you. Also, it's a bit scary to think of how bad this franchise would be off if you take away that one draft. No Chad, no T.J., Rudi wouldn't have been around to take Dillon's place. YIKES