PDA

View Full Version : Official Free Agency Thread

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Starts in about an hour and a half might as well start a thread to keep post the updates in.

WVRed
02-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Not a free agent, but I find it interesting that Jon Vilma is only going to cost a third round pick.

Jonathan Vilma is "very very close" to becoming a New Orleans Saint, according to the Washington Post. The New Orleans Times Picayune reports the Jets and New Orleans are "close to finalizing a deal."

The Redskins "nosed around" Vilma, but never showed serious interest. The Lions also wanted him, but may be less willing to give up draft picks. Newsday guesses that the Saints will be sending a third-round pick to New York. It's not out of the question that the Jets would in turn send that pick to Carolina for Kris Jenkins. Feb. 28 - 9:12 pm et

BRM
02-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Looks like it might be Brady Quinn's time in Cleveland.

The Cleveland Browns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cle) are poised to launch Plan B at quarterback.

B, for Brady, that is.

The club was unable to sign starter Derek Anderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7389) to a three-year, $20 million contract - $10 million guaranteed - before Friday's 12:01 a.m. free agency deadline and are prepared to turn their high-powered offense over to Brady Quinn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=8276), a first-round pick from last year and fan favorite.

On Thursday, Browns general manager Phil Savage protected the club by tendering Anderson a one-year contract offer for $2.5 million in 2008. Anderson did not accept the deal, making him a restricted free agent and on the market.

Teams can now negotiate with the 24-year-old Anderson, who went from backup to Pro Bowler in 2007. If Anderson accepts an offer, Savage said it would "make it extremely difficult" for the Browns to match it. The club would have seven says to do so.

Because of the high tender, if the Browns decide to let Anderson go, they'll receive first- and third-round picks as compensation in April's NFL draft.

Buckeye33
02-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Looks like it might be Brady Quinn's time in Cleveland.

Mr. Anderson and his agents finally realized that no team in the world was going to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick and pay him 50+ million for a contract. He has reportedly signed a multi year deal with the Browns today.

As a Bengal fan I am glad, Anderson is so over ratted it's scary. He had a good 1st half of last season and he's turned that into a 22+ million dollar contract. In the 2nd half of the season he had 10 TD and 9 INTs. He also looked horrible in the Pro Bowl.

BRM
02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I just saw that. His free agency period didn't last long.

Screwball
02-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Looks like Madieu is going to be reuinted with Leslie Frazier...

6-year deal for Madieu with Vikings

By Mark Curnutte
mcurnutte@enquirer.com

Madieu Williams is a former Bengal.

The four-year veteran safety has agreed on parameters on a six-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings and is on a plane now headed to Minneapolis, agent Kenny Zuckerman said late this morning.

The contract with worth a total of $33 million.

"Leslie gave Minnesota the advantage," Zuckerman said of former Bengals defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, now with the Vikings.

Frazier was Bengals coordinator in 2003 and 2004 before being fired by head coach Marvin Lewis and replaced with Chuck Bresnahan, who was fired in January and replaced with Mike Zimmer.

Williams said Frazier is as good a coach as he ever had.

The Bengals made no offer to Williams but asked Zuckerman to check back with them with information about any other offers he had received.

As many as four other teams showed serious interest in Williams, Zuckerman said.

Williams was the second of two Bengals second-round draft choices in 2004. He played in 13 games with 13 starts last season, finishing sixth on the defense with 73 total tackles, including two sacks. He had two interceptions.

Williams finished the season on the injured reserve list after sustaining a thigh injury in the Pittsburgh game.

The Bengals started two rookie safeties down the stretch in Marvin White and Chinedum Ndukwe and now appear comfortable moving forward with them as their starters. Veteran Dexter Jackson might be an offseason salary-cap casualty.

Joseph
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I expect him to be a much better player there. He just seems to have that vibe. I don't think he would have achieved here what he might elsewhere.

CTA513
02-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Looks like Madieu is going to be reuinted with Leslie Frazier...

Good choice of a team by Madieu.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Dhani Jones nears deal with Bengals

The Bengals appear to be close to finalizing a contract to re-sign outside linebacker Dhani Jones, who signed with them first as a street free agent in September after his release by New Orleans.

Jones, who turned 30 on Feb. 22, played in 14 games and made nine starts for the Bengals. He started the final eight games at weak-side linebacker and was second on the team with 111 tackles. He added seven on special teams.

The Bengals are waiting for the contract to come back via fax from Jones' Los Angeles-based agent, Donald Yee.

GO BENGALS GO!

NorrisHopper30
02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Ugh, I guess this means the Bengals might have to draft another safety unless they are confident in White, Ndukwe and Jackson.

WMR
02-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Being a Bengals fan really sucks.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Ugh, I guess this means the Bengals might have to draft another safety unless they are confident in White, Ndukwe and Jackson.

At least there wont be any fights this year at training camp

CTA513
02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
The Bengals signed Dhani Jones to a 3 year deal.

The Bengals brought a starter back when linebacker Dhani Jones agreed to a three-year deal Friday, according to agent Don Yee.

Jones' versatility may indicate the Bengals are staying flexible when it comes to a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. He has played both and at 6-1, 240 pounds, he could be a 3-4 inside backer.

Jones, who finished the season as the starting weakside linebacker and special teams captain, is one of the best comeback stories in the NFL. He arrived in September to give an injury-riddled defense ballast with 111 tackles that was second only to linebacker Landon Johnson.

Jones, who turned 30 last week, didn't arrive until Sept. 19 on minimum salary and proceeded to become the only Bengal to have two 10-tackle games and two forced fumbles. With a deal that is expected to be worth $2 million in 2008, Jones becomes one of those rare veterans to come off the street and garner a multiyear deal in a testimony of what the Bengals think about his intelligence and leadership.

Source: Bengals.com

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Ndukwe is a very good safety, White did well in limited time last year, and Jackson is a good veteran. I say to let Ndukwe have one spot, and put the other up for grabs with White and Jackson.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Just heard we picked up DT Rogers from the Lions

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Just heard we picked up DT Rogers from the LionsThat's a great move. As long as he can stay on the field, he's a beast.

CTA513
02-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Just heard we picked up DT Rogers from the Lions

I saw it posted on another forum, but haven't seen it comfirmed yet.

If its true then it will really help out the defensive line.
Put Geathers next to him and we will likely see Geathers sacks increase.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 03:46 PM
He will be better than anyone we have for sure

Matt700wlw
02-29-2008, 03:48 PM
They have a pulse!!

Good move!!!

CTA513
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Bengals.com is saying its for a 3rd and 5th round pick.

A NFL source confirmed Friday the Bengals have swung one of their biggest deal in history by acquiring Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers for a third- and fifth-round pick.

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Bengals.com is saying its for a 3rd and 5th round pick.Sweet! We didn't give up too much for him either.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I can deal with it considering the bad luck bengals have had with picks over the last few years.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Bengals will entertain a prized free agent Sunday in Tennessee Titans defensive end Antwan Odom.

Odom, a four-year veteran from Alabama, is a 274-pound defensive end who had a career-high eight sacks last season for the Titans. He is an unrestricted free agent. The visit with the Bengals will be his first.

Matt700wlw
02-29-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080124/SPORTS0101/801240415/1126

Story out of Detroit, from January

CTA513
02-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I checked out a couple Lions forums and it looked like lions fans didn't think they got a good return for Rogers.

Also the Bengals should have a 3rd round comp pick this season for Steinbach leaving.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Former Chargers safety Marlon McCree, released Thursday after two seasons with the team, will visit Carolina, Miami and the Bengals, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune Chargers blog.

The Bengals chose to let former starting free safety Madieu Williams to sign a six-year contract Friday with the Vikings.

The Bengals were interested in McCree, a former University of Kentucky star, following his 2005 season with the Carolina Panthers. He signed with the Chargers instead.

Screwball
03-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Justin Smith signs with the Niners:

The San Franciso 49ers and defensive end Justin Smith agreed to a six-year, $45 million contract that included $20 million in guarantees.

Smith, who had played all of his seven previous seasons in the NFL in Cincinnati, was given the franchise tag by the Bengals in 2007.

Smith was the fourth overall pick in the 2001 draft out of Missouri. He has 43 ½ career sacks but managed only two last season. Smith has played in 16 games every season except his rookie campaign when he made 15 appearances.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271999

Matt700wlw
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Obviously everybody knows by now that the Rogers deal didn't happen....he's now a Brown.

Those crap stains had a very impressive first day....

WMR
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Glad it's the Niners giving Smith that kind of contract and not the Bengals.

He's a nice player and all, but very replaceable, IMO.

WMR
03-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Definitely not a franchise-level player.

Screwball
03-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Glad it's the Niners giving Smith that kind of contract and not the Bengals.

He's a nice player and all, but very replaceable, IMO.

Definitely not a franchise-level player.

Agreed.

Hopefully this will force the Bengals' hand and they'll draft a DE that can actually get to the QB (Gholston?).

Matt700wlw
03-01-2008, 05:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3272450

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I love Phil Savage.

Bip Roberts
03-01-2008, 05:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3272450

He is terrible anyways

Highlifeman21
03-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I would have loved for Stallworth to come to the Queen City.

He'd be an awesome addition. He's definitely a good one for the Browns.

WVRed
03-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I would have loved for Stallworth to come to the Queen City.

He'd be an awesome addition. He's definitely a good one for the Browns.

And replace who? Minus the character concerns with the current team, he would have been the fourth best wideout.

You can really tell Cleveland is playing for right now. Good signing for them, but trading away all of the draft picks could come back to bite them.

Highlifeman21
03-01-2008, 10:57 PM
And replace who? Minus the character concerns with the current team, he would have been the fourth best wideout.

You can really tell Cleveland is playing for right now. Good signing for them, but trading away all of the draft picks could come back to bite them.

IMO, Stallworth would be our #2 WR, but I could see an argument for TJ to be the #2. Stallworth is easily no worst than our #3.

But, since he plays for the Browns now, that'll be 1 more weapon we don't have a solution to stop.

Oops.

WVRed
03-01-2008, 11:00 PM
IMO, Stallworth would be our #2 WR, but I could see an argument for TJ to be the #2. Stallworth is easily no worst than our #3.

But, since he plays for the Browns now, that'll be 1 more weapon we don't have a solution to stop.

Oops.

Over Henry?

I know the character issues are there but Henry's size makes him such a red zone target. Notice when he played last season the offense was much more in-sync.

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Id take chapman over Stallworth every day of the week

Highlifeman21
03-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Over Henry?

I know the character issues are there but Henry's size makes him such a red zone target. Notice when he played last season the offense was much more in-sync.

Chad's 1, and then you really could have an argument of who would have been 2 between TJ, Chris and Donte.

I honestly don't think much of TJ, as I feel his numbers are directly related to how Chad's been D'd up, and I think Henry could be a solid #2 WR if he got his head out of his butt. Henry clearly has the physical tools, just lacks the mental tools.

I just think people are underrating Stallworth. As someone said in another thread, he truly is an enigma, but never has been given the chance to be anything but a #3 in any system, and with Stallworth's world class speed, you can't line him up in a slot and expect him to be productive in the middle of the field or near the sidelines. Stallworth will be most effective when he's vertical (much like Chad is very effective when vertical), and IMO it's never a bad thing to add another vertical threat to your team.

The way I look at it is that with Henry, the Bengals maybe have 2 vertical threats. The Browns definitely have 2 vertical threats now with Edwards and Stallworth. I root for the Browns when they aren't playing the Bengals, and this move just gives me one more reason to root for the Browns. They have more offensive weapons than us, and IMO will be a more exciting team to watch in 2008.

Imagine what the Bengals could be like if we had a TE who was a legitimate threat. If Henry emerges to be another vertical/homerun threat, just think of what we could be. Until then, we're stuck with TJ, who's very overrated IMO.

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Ill take the overrated player with good hands over the underrated player who has been nothing but expendable everywhere hes been.

Joseph
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Stallworth will still be the #3 option in Clevelands passing game behind Edwards and Winslow.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Odom finalizing deal with Bengals

After near misses on trades for defensive tackles Shaun Rogers and Dewayne Robertson, the Bengals are finalizing a deal at this hour with free agent defensive end Antwan Odom, who had eight sacks last season for Tennessee.

Odom canceled a trip to Minnesota to visit the Vikings today, according to the St. Paul Pioneer-Press.

Hope he isnt a 1 year wonder

Matt700wlw
03-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Where'd you find that?

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Where'd you find that?

Sorry got it from Curnutte
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/

GoReds33
03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Atleast we got somebody. He's not Shaun Rogers, but he doesn't cost us a draft pick either. I'll take it.

Matt700wlw
03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks

Matt700wlw
03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Well then, I guess this one has happened then!

CTA513
03-03-2008, 07:06 PM
This is from the source that rotoworld.com quoted earlier:

Odom to Bengals

DE Antwan Odom has agreed to a contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, agent Richard Rosa told the Pioneer Press.

That means he is the second DE to sign with a club, hours before visiting with the Vikings.

The Vikings were in the mix, but they apparently weren't willing to up the offer from the Bengals.

Odom received a five-year, $29.5 million contract that includes $11.5 million in guarantees.

"He is very excited to be a Bengal and is looking forward to playing for coach (Marvin) Lewis," Rosa said of Odom.

On Saturday morning, DE Justin Smith signed a six-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers. He was scheduled to visit with the Vikings that day.

With Odom, Smith and Bobby McCray gone, Travis LaBoy is considered the top defensive end left via free agency.

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/03/vikings_lose_another_de.html

CTA513
03-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Bengals.com has confirmed it:

Odom's first Bengal sack
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 3, 2008
7 p.m.

Antwan Odom recorded his first sack as a Bengal Monday when he swooped in from Tennessee to give Cincinnati its first jolt in free agency.

Agent Rich Rosa confirmed the five-year deal Monday evening that borders on $30 million with more than $11 million guaranteed.

The Bengals pursued him so aggressively that they literally took him off the plane bound for Phoenix. Rosa said he was headed back from the airport to stay in town Monday night.

The 6-5, 274-pound Odom rung up eight sacks in his first season as a starter last year for the Titans and gives the Bengals another lean and athletic pass-rushing threat opposite left end Robert Geathers.

The move appears to keep the Bengals in a 4-3 defense with Odom ticketed to replace Justin Smith at right end and it helps take the sting out of the trades for defensive tackles Shaun Rogers and Dwayne Robertson that fell through.

Smith, who started there the past 107 straight games, signed with San Francisco over the weekend. With his eight sacks, the 26-year-old Odom did what Smith hasn't done since 2004 and did twice in seven years.

But Odom had some big help.

A second-round pick out of Alabama in 2004, Odom formed one of the NFL's more potent sack duos with Kyle Vanden Bosch's dozen sacks in a year the Bengals finished last in the NFL in sacks per pass. The Bengals are banking on the duo of Geathers, who had a career-high 10.5 sacks in 2006, Odom to have the same kind of production.

After getting knocked down in their bids for Rogers and Robertson, they made sure

CTA513
03-04-2008, 05:06 PM
The Bengals re-signed punter Kyle Larson to a 5 year contract.

Larson launches long one
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 4, 2008

Posted: 4:30 p.m.

The Bengals struck a long-term deal with one of their most reliable players Tuesday when punter Kyle Larson reached a five-year deal to take him off the free-agency market.

The club also confirmed linebacker Dhani Jones' three-year contract.

Larson has averaged 42.8 yards on 279 punts for his career, with a net average of 36.3 yards. He has pinned opponents inside their 20-yard line on nearly one-third of his punts (81), and he has allowed only 29 touchbacks. In 2005 at Jacksonville, he launched a team-record 75-yard punt.

Last season, Larson averaged 41.3 yards and 35.2 net, and he had 21 inside-20s against just three touchbacks.

Larson, 27, is heading into his fifth season and now may be able to run at Lee Johnson's club-record for punting longevity at 11 seasons. He has been the club's best punter since Johnson was cut late in the 1998 season.

Larson, a free agent out of Nebraska, won the job right out of college and has averaged 42.8 yards on 279 punts for his career, with a net average of 36.3 yards. He has pinned opponents inside their 20-yard line on nearly one-third of his punts (81), and he has allowed only 29 touchbacks. In 2005 at Jacksonville, he had a club-record 75-yard punt.

Last season, Larson averaged 41.3 yards and 35.2 net, and he had 21 inside-20s against just three touchbacks.

"I set goals at the start of every season, and I want to just keep getting better every year," Larson said in a news release. "Cincinnati has been so good to me and my wife, I feel very fortunate to be staying here and getting the chance to keep playing in front of our fans."

It also means that kicker Shayne Graham now has his holder that he's used in four of the five seasons he has become the NFL's most accurate active field-goal kicker.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6673

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Hope Jones has another solid year.

LoganBuck
03-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Why can't the Larson deal fall through?

Buckeye33
03-05-2008, 12:02 AM
At least Mike Brown isn't as bad as Al Davis.

First he gave a average DT coming off a torn ACL 55 million. Well, he topped that by giving Javon Walker (who needs microfracture surgery) a 6 year 55 million dollar contract with 16 million guaranteed and 27 mill in the 1st three years.

The NFL should force Davis out, or this franchise will be a doormat for years and years.

Bip Roberts
03-05-2008, 11:39 AM
BROWNS GIVE ROGERS A BIG RAISE

Less than a week after sending a third-round pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden to Detroit for defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, the Cleveland Browns have made an enormous financial commitment to the veteran lineman.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Rogers will receive a six-year, $42 million deal with more than $20 million in guaranteed money.

The move makes Rogers the highest-paid interior defensive lineman in the league, besting the record of $18 million in guarantees set six days ago by Raiders defensive tackle Tommy "Ba Boom Ba Boom Ba Boom" Kelly.

:ughmamoru

WMR
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
That buys a lot of food.

Joseph
03-05-2008, 12:20 PM
The Browns better hope this guys is motivated. Thats a huge deal.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-05-2008, 01:58 PM
:ughmamoruI'm gonna guess your a Bengals fan, and am also going to guess that this is only funny to you in a sour grapes kind of way.:D

Buckeye33
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm gonna guess your a Bengals fan, and am also going to guess that this is only funny to you in a sour grapes kind of way.:D

I'm a Bengals fan, but even if I was a Browns fan I would be a little scared. The Browns are fast becoming the Redskins of the AFC. They have pumped out a crazy amount of money the last 2 seasons to FAs and have traded their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year as well as their best CB.

While they have obviously improved, they aren't the Patriots or Colts yet. I believe they now have a 2 year window to go for the gold. If it doesn't happen in those 2 years, they will plummet because of all the horribly high contracts they have been giving out.

camisadelgolf
03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm a Bengals fan, but even if I was a Browns fan I would be a little scared. The Browns are fast becoming the Redskins of the AFC. They have pumped out a crazy amount of money the last 2 seasons to FAs and have traded their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year as well as their best CB.

While they have obviously improved, they aren't the Patriots or Colts yet. I believe they now have a 2 year window to go for the gold. If it doesn't happen in those 2 years, they will plummet because of all the horribly high contracts they have been giving out.

By then, perhaps the salary cap will be high enough for them to afford other impact players. :dunno:

Oxilon
03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Actually, aren't the owner's set on having no salary cap once the bargaining agreement ends in '09? So in 2010 basically expect the Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys to buy the entire free agent market? Beautiful world we live in...

GoReds33
03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Actually, aren't the owner's set on having no salary cap once the bargaining agreement ends in '09? So in 2010 basically expect the Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys to buy the entire free agent market? Beautiful world we live in...I believe it's 2010, or 2011. Still, the Cowboys wouldn't be able to do that. All NFL teams make so much money that they can compete for free agents with anyone.

WMR
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Why in the world would the owners want to end the salary cap???? The one thing that makes the NFL different from MLB????

Asinine.

Boss-Hog
03-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Actually, aren't the owner's set on having no salary cap once the bargaining agreement ends in '09? So in 2010 basically expect the Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys to buy the entire free agent market? Beautiful world we live in...
That's assuming they don't work out an agreement on an extention, which is unlikely.

Oxilon
03-08-2008, 12:47 PM
That's assuming they don't work out an agreement on an extention, which is unlikely.

IIRC, from what I heard, the owner's are in favor of having no salary cap after the current collective bargaining agreement ends.

Cedric
03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I would love for the salary cap to end. Instead of having one smart team make everyone else look like fools we would have some good teams again. No more crappy teams in the Super Bowl. And remember that San Francisco might have been the best franchise in the league from 80-95 and that had little to do with money.

Cedric
03-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Why in the world would the owners want to end the salary cap???? The one thing that makes the NFL different from MLB????

Asinine.

There really isn't a cap now. Teams like New England, Dallas, and Washington have enough money to buy the right people to manipulate the cap. The Bengals still don't overspend in free agency. They are literally one of two teams that doesn't manipulate the cap to their advantage. Guess the other team yet? Think the only team possibly comparable to the Bengals in the last fifteen years.

WMR
03-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Arizona Cardinals?

Do you have any data to back this up? I don't doubt that you're right at all, but I'd love to see the cold, hard numbers.

camisadelgolf
03-08-2008, 03:29 PM
There really isn't a cap now. Teams like New England, Dallas, and Washington have enough money to buy the right people to manipulate the cap. The Bengals still don't overspend in free agency. They are literally one of two teams that doesn't manipulate the cap to their advantage. Guess the other team yet? Think the only team possibly comparable to the Bengals in the last fifteen years.

My guess would have been the Buffalo Bills, but the Cardinals make sense, too. Maybe the Raiders could fit the bill, too.

Cedric
03-08-2008, 04:28 PM
My guess would have been the Buffalo Bills, but the Cardinals make sense, too. Maybe the Raiders could fit the bill, too.

The Bills have been to playoffs and have actually manipulated the cap at times (Troy Vincent, Takeo Spikes).

The Cardinals until recently had not ever made cuts specifically to free up money or backload contracts for a one year run. The Bengals are truly one of the only franchises that does not manipulate the cap. That's fine if you have a winning history or have a great history in drafting. It's another thing when you are the Bengals. The flip side is what happened to the Titans in 05.

It's still not true that because of the salary cap that Mike Brown spends as much money as every other team. While the Bengals claim to be right at the cap every year they truly haven't tried to manipulate or spend the necessary money like Washington, Dallas, or even teams like the Vikings, Giants, Bears do.

There is a reason Mike Brown talks about staying competitive and how it's hard with this recent CBA agreement. He feels the salary cap is being abused. Is it? Probably. If everyone else is doing it you better be though. If not you end up with a franchise with limited talent like the Bengals. That's the cold, hard truth.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-09-2008, 02:08 PM

While they have obviously improved, they aren't the Patriots or Colts yet. I believe they now have a 2 year window to go for the gold. If it doesn't happen in those 2 years, they will plummet because of all the horribly high contracts they have been giving out.The Browns have been towards the top of the league as far as cap room is concerned for the last couple of years, and I'm sure that they have done the proper calculations before jumping into these deals. Imo the Browns are working to make Cleveland a place where free agents want to go, it's not the most weather friendly city in the league obviously and up until this year they havn't been a place to go to win a championship. After a good year last year this was the perfect chance to show the league that they are willing to do what it takes to win. As far as the draft picks go, if they had kept the first round pick that they gave up for Brady which I believe was #22 they couldn't have grabbed a better QB this year. Scott Williams is a better player than what they would have drafted in the second round, and I would take Rogers for a third round pick any day. Say what you will about the money but I think that adding these guys to the d-line not only makes the line better but it also makes guys like Wimbley better and also helps with the productivity of the line-backers.

BoydsOfSummer
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I think they'll still be $30M under for next year also. Woof!

CTA513
03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Bengals signed LB Darryl Blackstock

Bengals add backer

By GEOFF HOBSON
March 10, 2008

Posted: 3:40 p.m.

According to his agent, the Bengals have agreed to terms with former Cardinals linebacker Darryl Blackstock, a 6-3, 240-pound college teammate of current Cincinnati middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks.

Brad Blank wouldn't reveal terms Monday, but said his client was impressed with head coach Marvin Lewis and the Bengals defensive coaches during his visit last week that followed a trip to Cleveland.

The Bengals don't confirm deals until they are signed.

Blackstock, 24, a three-year backup in Arizona, has two NFL starts and 44 tackles in 46 career games with four career sacks. While Brooks played inside the University of Virginia's 3-4 defense, Blackstock was an edge rusher for the Cavaliers at outside linebacker before Arizona drafted him in the third round in 2005.

As the Bengals did to wide receiver Tab Perry, the Cardinals chose not to tender him an offer as a restricted free agent, making him an unrestricted free agent. He had 21 tackles and three sacks this past season as a backup strong-side linebacker and nickel pass rusher. He had the Cards' lone sack in the 35-27 victory over the Bengals back on Nov. 18.

Blackstock could get looks at both outside backer spots and as a nickel rusher.

Perry is reportedly in Green Bay on Monday for a visit.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6681

Buckeye33
03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Bengals signed LB Darryl Blackstock

Not a top tier FA, but he has good size. As long as the contract was reasonable, I like the signing. Gives added depth to the LB core, and replaces Landon Johnson. He is quite a bit bigger than Johnson as well.

The Bengals now have really good size with their LBers.

Blackstock - 6'3" 240 lbs
Thurman - 6'0" 235
Brooks - 6'3" 260 lbs
Jones - 6'1" 240 lbs
Henderson - 6'2" 263 lbs
Pollack - 6'2" 255 lbs

Johnson and Caleb Miller were only 225-230.

Oxilon
03-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I remember when he was coming out of Virginia for the draft. I think this has a chance to be a pretty solid move. He was stuck behind Calvin Pace and Karlos Dansby, which limited his playing time. Anways, at the very worst, we replaced Landon Johnson with pretty much the same player, with the exception that I believe Blackstock has more potential and room to grow.

Cedric
03-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I remember when he was coming out of Virginia for the draft. I think this has a chance to be a pretty solid move. He was stuck behind Calvin Pace and Karlos Dansby, which limited his playing time. Anways, at the very worst, we replaced Landon Johnson with pretty much the same player, with the exception that I believe Blackstock has more potential and room to grow.

Blackstock really can't do anything but rush the passer. That's fine with me, but he's not Landon Johnson. He openly admits he has trouble in space. The problem is he complains about the 3-4 system and that system would seem to fit perfect with his own self described style. Hopefully he is a nickle rusher and a special teams guy.

CTA513
03-14-2008, 04:23 PM
The Bengals and TE Ben Utecht have agreed to a deal, but have to wait to see if the Colts will match it.

Utecht signed
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 14, 2008

Updated: 4:15 p.m.

The Bengals are finally going to the pass-catching tight end but they may not know for a week if they've got a completion for the Colts' Ben Utecht.

His agent confirmed the club's agreement with the 6-6, 251-pound Utecht Friday, but as a restricted free agent he has to wait to see if Indianapolis matches the offer in the next seven days.

"We don't know if they're going to match it," Christopher Murray said Friday. "They've already got a big tight end (Dallas Clark) and they're tight against the cap."

The Colts, who just dropped a $40 million deal on Clark, figure to have about $7 million under the salary cap. Murray wouldn't divulge terms, but it's believed the average in a three-year deal is nearly $3 million per year with about the same cap hit.

Not only would the Bengals get a tight end that has exceeded the numbers of any tight end they've had this decade, but it would mean they don't have to give up a draft pick for compensation or use a draft pick next month to draft one.

Utecht, who turns 27 before the season, caught 31 balls last year and 37 in 2006 and would form a formidable 1-2 combo with Reggie Kelly. Kelly, a blocking ace, has been the starter the last five seasons in which his best receiving years have been the last two with 21 in 2006 and 20 last season.

The Bengals haven't had a 30-catch season from a tight end since Tony McGee had 34 in 1997. While starting 13 games as the Colts' in-line blocking tight end this past season, Utecht also had a touchdown.

Christopher Murray, Utecht's agent, said last week that his client had been drawn to Cincinnati in large measure because of the presence of quarterback Carson Palmer. Palmer, no doubt, is going to welcome the big target in Utecht with the hope he'll be able to make hay underneath and force teams to get out of the deep zones that blanket wide receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmadzadeh.

Since running back Chris Perry's injuries robbed Palmer of his best underneath threat, his 2005 completion percentage of 67.8 percent dipped to 62.3 in 2006 and 64.9 in 2007.

Utecht, a restricted free agent out of Minnesota, has made 30 starts and played in 41 games in the shadow of Colts Pro Bowl tight end Dallas Clark.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6687

HeatherC1212
03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I would love for the Bengals to get Utecht. I hope this deal goes through but I'm not going to hold my breath after seeing two previous FA signings have some serious issues to say the least, LOL :laugh:

Matt700wlw
03-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Hopefully the Colts don't match....

WVRed
03-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I would love for the Bengals to get Utecht. I hope this deal goes through but I'm not going to hold my breath after seeing two previous FA signings have some serious issues to say the least, LOL :laugh:

The other two were trades.

Odom and Blackstock worked out pretty well.

HeatherC1212
03-15-2008, 01:02 AM
The other two were trades.

Odom and Blackstock worked out pretty well.

Oh gosh, you're right. Thanks for the correction. I think my head is just confused after a long week, LOL :cool:

icehole3
03-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Kevin Jones and DE Kalimba Edwards out there

are these guys worthy, I think adding anybody on defense cant be bad.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clu...FL&majteam=DET

Two hours after his release was made public, 12 teams showed interest in former Lions RB Kevin Jones.
No visits have been arranged, but teams are putting out feelers. Jones claims he'll be ready to play by July, but being able to run is one thing and being able to line up as an asset in an NFL backfield is another thing altogether. It will be an upset if Jones plays at 100% in 2008

Lions released DE Kalimba Edwards.
The Lions gave Edwards a huge contract two seasons ago in hopes that he'd develop into something more than a situational pass rusher, but it never happened. He was scheduled to make $3.9 million this season.
Source: Detroit Free Press

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

Casey
03-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Hopefully the Colts don't match....

I really don't thiink they will, not with a healthy Dallas Clark.
This is without a doubt a great signing for the Bengals...one less thing to worry about on draft day.

joshnky
03-15-2008, 05:23 PM
The Bengals seem to be doing a good job of filling needs in free agency. They haven't signed any superstars but they've brought in some quality players to fill roles and add depth. Hopefully this will enable them to take the "best player available" approach to the draft.

Buckeye33
03-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Supposedly the Falcons are trading DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders for the Raiders 2nd round pick this year as long as they agree on a new contract.

Hall *****ed about playing for the Falcons, have fun playing for the Raiders Mr. Hall. You'll be sickly rich, but they are going to suck for a long time.

TC81190
03-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Utecht? Sweet.

CrackerJack
03-15-2008, 07:15 PM
This is a good pick up, purely a receiving threat for the most part. Great hands and quickness for his size, big target finally for a Bengals' QB, to go along with a 6'4" Henry and 6'2" + TJ.

Utecht has some big play ability and is an ideal outlet guy. At $3mm a year, I suspect he'll see quite a bit of PT and do some blocking. Pretty thin though for a blocker.

Probably the best/most accomplished pass catching TE we've seen here since Tony McGee, and he was a short one who could block some.

Casey
03-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Hopefully this will enable them to take the "best player available" approach to the draft.

As long as it's the "best defensive player available" I would be good with that.

Redhook
03-16-2008, 08:13 AM
As long as it's the "best defensive player available" I would be good with that.

.....in the front 7.