PDA

View Full Version : 2/29/2008 Reds Vs Rays

cumberlandreds
02-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Per Trent, the Reds lineup. Bailey and Volquez are pitching today. Of course that means no radio at all for this game.:(
No Bruce today. But we have Dunn and Griffey. I guess this isn't a two bridge trip. :)

SARASOTA — Griffey and Dunn are in, Phillips out against the JustRays’ Edwin Jackson.
Hopper cf
Keppinger 3b
Griffey rf
Dunn lf
Votto 1b
Green 2b
Bako c
Janish ss
Valentin DH
Bailey p
Also pitching will be
Volquez
Lehr
McBeth
Shearn
Sauerbeck
Pettyjohn

BRM
02-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Three lefties in a row, hitting 3-5. The winds of change... :)

BRM
02-29-2008, 09:28 AM
C. Trent has the Rays lineup now.

Akinori Iwamura 2b
Carl Crawford lf
Carlos Pena 1b
B.J. Upton cf
Willy Aybar dh
Jonny Gomes rf
Evan Longoria 3b
Jason Bartlett ss
Shawn Riggans c

Edwin Jackson rhp

flyer85
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
The winds of change... :)or maybe just a little unintended flatulence.

sonny
02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Everytime I see Evan Longoria I always think Eva. She can probably hit better that Castro though.

BRM
02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
or maybe just a little unintended flatulence.

Yeah, BP and EE are both getting a day off. Not much choice today. Still nice to see though.

flyer85
02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Still nice to see though.we can always hope. :beerme:

Chip R
02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Everytime I see Evan Longoria I always think Eva. She can probably hit better that Castro though.

She has a better looking strike zone, that's for sure.

Screwball
02-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Didn't feel like starting a thread for this, so I'll just post it here. From Fay:

Dusty on Homer

Today is Homer Bailey's spring debut. He takes the mound at 1:05 p.m. vs. Tampa Bay at Ed Smith Stadium. There isn't quite the anticipation this year as there was last. I asked Dusty Baker if the fact that's there's less pressure and Bailey had a taste of the big leagues puts him in better position to succeed.

“I think he’s in better position because his mechanics are better, allowing him to throw better strikes," Baker said. "From what I hear, he was all arms and legs last year."

There were whispers last year that Bailey wasn't very coachable. Baker hasn't seen that.

“Sometimes you need to fail to really listen," Baker said. "He’s been all ears basically, which you like in a young player. But sometimes they have to fail before they listen.”

And apparently, it's working.

“Dick Pole told me his side (sessions) were very good," Baker said. "It’s getting better each side. I talked to him and he feels he’s improving, getting better, which is what you want to see.”

Bailey will be followed by Edinson Volquez. Should be interesting. They have similar arms and are competing for a spot in the rotation. Volquez may even have better stuff than Bailey.

"I like his arm," Baker said of Volquez. "I like his arm big time, nice loose arm. We just have to get him to trust all his pitches."

EDIT: Sorry BRM, didn't see you already posted this in another thread.

Reds1
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
no radio. Not even visitors?

cumberlandreds
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
no radio. Not even visitors?

Nope. Gotta wing it today. Only choice is Fay and Trent's blogs.

Reds1
02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
bummer. 1st day I had some time. thanks

redsmetz
02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't understand why they don't broadcast all the games - we're chomping at the bit for these things.

cumberlandreds
02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't understand why they don't broadcast all the games - we're chomping at the bit for these things.

It seems like I remember when I was growing up (70's) they did carry all the games. They must feel like there's not enough interest but I think there is. I listened to the Twins broad cast yesterday and they said they were carry 26 of their 31 ST games. If the Twins can, the Reds certainly can.

Reds Fanatic
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Rays 1st: Iwamura L6 on 3-2 count. Crawford infield single. Pena walks. Bailey's missing badly. Double steal. Upton walks. Aybar called strike 3. Gomes 6-3. No damage, lot of pitches.

Reds Fanatic
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Reds 1st (Edwin Jackson): Hopper F8 on a 3-2 count -- a real good pace so far. Keepinger F9. Griffey 1-3.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Rays 1st: Iwamura L6 on 3-2 count. Crawford infield single. Pena walks. Bailey's missing badly. Double steal. Upton walks. Aybar called strike 3. Gomes 6-3. No damage, lot of pitches.

He must be injured again. ;)

dougdirt
02-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Bailey with a much better second inning than the first.

Reds Fanatic
02-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Homer threw a lot of pitches in the first but had a good quick 2nd inning.

Rays 2nd: Longoria F9. Barlett 5-3. Riggans 6-3. That was a 5- or 6-pitch inning

jesusfan
02-29-2008, 01:37 PM
How tempting would it be to put Bailey, Volquez, Cueto behind Harang and Arroyo in the rotation....

Reds Fanatic
02-29-2008, 01:40 PM
This game is moving quickly no score through 2.

Reds 2nd: Dunn singles. Votto Foul 5. Green K. Bako K.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
If you guys don't want to rely on the blog(s), Gameday is working

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/y2007/gd.html?2008_02_29_tbamlb_cinmlb_1&brand=mlb

Reds Fanatic
02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Volquez in. Bailey's line: 2 IP, 2 hits, no runs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout.

Rays 3rd: Iwamura L8. Crawford 3 unassited. Pena K.

penantboundreds
02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
can we trade for javylopez...

Reds Fanatic
02-29-2008, 01:59 PM
1-0 Reds after 3. I have to go for awhile. If someone else wants to post updates I have just been taking them from Fay's blog here: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Reds 3rd: (Jason Hammell): Janish double to right-center. Valentin F8. Janish to third. Hopper sac fly. Keppinger 5-3.

LincolnparkRed
02-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Anybody know a good site to see spray charts for hitters. I would love to see Hopper's even his bunts go the other way.

cumberlandreds
02-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Rays 4th: Upton 4-3. Aybar F8. Gomes HBP. Longoria doubles, Gomes scored. Bartlett walks. Riggans singles, Longoria scores. (Justin Lehr into for Volquez) Pinch-hits Rodriguez. A balk is called. Bartlett scores, Riggans to second. Rodriguez K.

Volquez got the first two out and things went downhill from there. Rays lead 4-1 in the fourth.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Rays 4th: Upton 4-3. Aybar F8. Gomes HBP. Longoria doubles, Gomes scored. Bartlett walks. Riggans singles, Longoria scores. (Justin Lehr into for Volquez) Pinch-hits Rodriguez. A balk is called. Bartlett scores, Riggans to second. Rodriguez K.

Volquez got the first two out and things went downhill from there. Rays lead 4-1 in the fourth.

I think it's only 3-1.

cumberlandreds
02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I think it's only 3-1.

Fay can't count and I took his word for it. He has 4-1 at the top of blog page. But by his account it's only three. Pull off those shoes Fay and count some toes if you need to.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Fay can't count and I took his word for it.

You should know better than to trust him.

redsmetz
02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I looked up the broadcast adminsitrator of the Reds and asked them to consider broadcasting more of the spring games next year. She just sent me back the schedule and said "Thanks for your interest". I wrote back and bemoaned the fact that there will be two whole weeks when week day games won't be broadcast and that there are lots of us who'd like to listen now. I'll let you know what she says.

Is Gameday majorally delayed?

Tom Servo
02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Fay's apparently ditching us to go to Homer's press conference.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Is Gameday majorally delayed?

Yeah. They still have it as middle of the 4th.

redsmetz
02-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Well, here is her response - I guess folks ought to contact the Reds to tell them there is interest.

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately early in the season there is not enough interest in the games during the week while people are working and they cannot sell enough advertising to pay for the broadcasts. Further along through the season when it is closer to Opening Day, people do listen and the games are broadcast. Thank you.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 02:36 PM
From Trent.

Bottom 4: Griffey walks. Dunn up. Griffey's day is done. Dickerson is running for him. Grounder by Dunn, but Dickerson was running. 4-3. Moved the run over, though. Votto walks. THe Rays made wholesale changes, but was busy writing and didn't catch them all. Jason Hammel is the pitch, by the way, for the Reds. Green fouls one back. Dickerson steals third. Votto didn't get a good break and the catcher, Riggans, threw behind the play, but Votto was back safely. Green rips one foul. Votto steals second on a thir dball. Full to Green. Grounder to third, Dickerson socreds. 3-2. Bako up. K. Rays 3, Reds 2

dougdirt
02-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Votto walking was -1 for Baker. So he had to go ahead and steal the base to get back to 0. *only slight sarcasm there*

reds44
02-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Dickerson has been impressive early on in spring. Granted, the key word is early. Very early.

lollipopcurve
02-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Dickerson has been impressive early on in spring. Granted, the key word is early. Very early.

I'm pretty sure Baker is going to insist on having some speed on the bench.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Still 3-2, bottom of the 6th.

LincolnparkRed
02-29-2008, 03:22 PM
So is Kepp the opening day 2 hitter or is it Castro saying Gonzo is on the shelf

Chip R
02-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Bottom 7: Chad Orvella in for the Rays. Jolbert Cabrera lines out to left. Nice play by the Rays' second baseman to get Alvin Colina. A non-catcher running and he's probably safe. Adam Rosales up now. Rosales has looked good this spring. Javy's on deck. Rosales smoked one down the left field line, right by the third baseman, Rosales hustles to make it a double. 4-3 for Javy. Rays 3, Reds 2

Chip R
02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Top 8: Sauerbeck in for the Redlegs. Justin Ruggiano up for the Rays, Eric Hinske on deck. Sauerbeck quickly 0-2 on Ruggiano. 1-2. Single to right. Stolen base. Full to Hinske. Hinske's one of those guys you encounter just about every spring game for the first two weeks -- each team has some guy you can't believe is still playing. Walk to Hinske. 2,768. The Rays just don't pack 'em in like they used to. Elliot Johnson pinch hitting for the Rays. Johnson misses the unt and Ruggiano is picked off second by Colina. One out. Another walk. Joel Guzman up for the JustRays. Single, bases are loaded. And now it's full. Walk. 4-2. John Jaso up. A double play ball to first, but Rosales throws it into the dugout to make it 6-2. That's it for Sauerbeck. Ramon Ramirez in for the Redlegs. Full count on Rodriguez. Walk. Fly out to left. Rays 6, Reds 2

klw
02-29-2008, 04:03 PM
We have ourselves a ballgame

Per trent

* Bottom 8: Jake McGee in for the Rays. Jay Bruce leading off. I turned on the video camera just in case. He lines one into center for a single. Not a good line for Sauerbeck 2/3 of an inning, 2 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, 3 walks. Freel walks. A group of Rays fans keep yelling at the ump and finally someone else yelled, "It's spring training!" 3-0 to Dickerson. You don't want to do that with Drew Anderson. A walk. Now everyone is making fun of the hecklers. Drew fouls off 2. 0-2. 1-2. Anderson nails one off of McGee's shin. Bruce scores. 6-3. Andy Phillips up with Cabrera on deck. Walk. 6-4. And now a pitchingchange. No outs. Something about spring training games seem longer than any other game. Ugh. It's James Houser in for the Rays, another lefty to face Jolbert Cabrera and Alvin Colina. Swinging at strike one for Cabrera. And then a shot into center could have tied this puppy up. Two score on the single, runners on first and third for Colina. 6-6. Volquez off the schnide.

RedsManRick
02-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Is there any better way to not make an opening day roster than by walking guys in spring training?

Aronchis
02-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I am not happy with Homer pitching in front of Volquez.

FWIW, Bailey has looked alot better at this point in spring training than last year.

dougdirt
02-29-2008, 04:13 PM

FWIW, Bailey has looked alot better at this point in spring training than last year.

Whats wrong with Bailey pitching in front of Volquez?

On another note, Jay Bruce might have to continue hitting .500 to have a chance to make the team.

Aronchis
02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Whats wrong with Bailey pitching in front of Volquez?

On another note, Jay Bruce might have to continue hitting .500 to have a chance to make the team.

Could you see the Reds start Harang or Arroyo off after another pitcher? Volquez needs to win the job and the Reds need to give him the confidence to do just that. Starting him off in the 2nd spot isn't a very nice.

dougdirt
02-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Could you see the Reds start Harang or Arroyo off after another pitcher? Volquez needs to win the job and the Reds need to give him the confidence to do just that. Starting him off in the 2nd spot isn't a very nice.

Homer also needs to win the job. I am sure as these guys start throwing 4 and 5 innings later in the spring, they will each get their own days, but until then I don't see much of an issue right now with the current set up.

pedro
02-29-2008, 04:24 PM

wow. that's digging deep to find something to complain about.

next thing we'll be complaining about their hats being red.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 04:28 PM
7-6 Rays now in the bottom of the 9th

klw
02-29-2008, 04:33 PM
wow. that's digging deep to find something to complain about.

next thing we'll be complaining about their hats being red.

No we will be complaining about the black area on the hats, above the ear.

Here is a multipage thread on hat ratings
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33514&highlight=hats+new+look

reds44
02-29-2008, 04:34 PM

Yes, in his entire two innings of work.

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes, in his entire two innings of work.

Well, in 3.2 innings of work last year he had a 19.64 ERA.

It's all relative, I guess. :)

Chip R
02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Final score 7-6 Rays.

Aronchis
02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, in 3.2 innings of work last year he had a 19.64 ERA.

It's all relative, I guess. :)

Bailey's fastball was limper last year compared to this year. We will see how he does when he gets a 4I chance(which I figure he will get at some point).

KronoRed
02-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Baker is going to insist on having some speed on the bench.

Freel/Hopper, whoever isn't starting is your speed.

cincyinco
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Bailey's fastball was limper last year compared to this year. We will see how he does when he gets a 4I chance(which I figure he will get at some point).

Aronchis, may I ask how you are privy to such details? Do you just go off what you read? Seen him in person? Just curious where your insight comes from. Thanks!

OnBaseMachine
02-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Nice 1-2-3 inning from Marcus McBeth. I like his arm, hopefully he can have a nice spring and make the team as a middle reliever. He would be a huge upgrade over the likes of Majewski and Stanton IMO.

Aronchis
03-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Aronchis, may I ask how you are privy to such details? Do you just go off what you read? Seen him in person? Just curious where your insight comes from. Thanks!

I saw him in person last year and read the reports pre-ST games. He was struggling to get above 94mph at times. I was stunned how much he tailed off from his impressive 06 camp. This year, it is back to normal from all reports.

It wasn't to the end of the year we saw Bailey fully healthy IMO.

The kid has work to do, but his 2 seamer seems to be really coming along. Needs to improve from the stretch. Seems when his command breaks down.