PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Rogers to the Bengals - Yes....Not So Fast - Trade now OFF. (Merged)

Joseph
02-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Lance is saying something about it....anyone else heard it?

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Was on ESPN just posted it in the Free agency thread

Joseph
02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
No information is available yet on what the Bengals have given the Lions, but it is believed to be a third- or fourth-round draft pick this year. -Curnutte

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Here's a link to the Bengals.com story:
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6665
They say it's a third and a fifth round pick.

TeamSelig
02-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Awesome

Buckeye33
02-29-2008, 04:14 PM
This pretty much seals the deal for the move to a 3-4 defense. They may have some 4-3 type packages but the base D is going to be 3-4.

This put Rogers as your NT. Peko will slide to end sometimes. Once Odell is allowed back you'll have Odell and Brooks at ILB and Jones and possibly Pollack at OLB. Geathers will also play DE and OLB.

I really think this trade opens up the draft. I'd still love for Dorsey or Ellis to be there at #9, but I think it opens it up to allow anyone to be drafted.

Losing Williams to Minnesota, I think the 2nd or 3rd round compensatory pick should be spent on a safety.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I think Williams gets us a 4th round comp

Buckeye33
02-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I think Williams gets us a 4th round comp

He probably will, but that comp pick won't be until 2009. Losing Smith might get us a 3rd round comp pick next year as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Landon Johnson got us a 6th round comp pick next year.

The Bengals should have a 3rd rnd comp pick this year for losing Steinbach and probably a 6th for losing Kevin K (not attempting his last name)

So they'll still have a pick in rounds 1-4 this year.

Joseph
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Kenny Phillips anyone?

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
He probably will, but that comp pick won't be until 2009. Losing Smith might get us a 3rd round comp pick next year as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Landon Johnson got us a 6th round comp pick next year.

The Bengals should have a 3rd rnd comp pick this year for losing Steinbach and probably a 6th for losing Kevin K (not attempting his last name)

So they'll still have a pick in rounds 1-4 this year.

I dont really care about the pick so much considering how crappy we have done in recent years

NorrisHopper30
02-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Kenny Phillips anyone?

I have confidence in Ndukwe and Marvin White. I'd rather see the draft pick go to O-line or maybe trade down to get Derrick Harvey.

bucksfan2
02-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Good trade here. The bengals had an extra 3rd round comp pick for Steinbach. Hopefully that is the 3rd rounder they give up.

HotCorner
02-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Hell yeah!

Ben
02-29-2008, 04:36 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Gulp, way to go Mike! WHO-DEY!!!!!!

Buckeye33
02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Good trade here. The bengals had an extra 3rd round comp pick for Steinbach. Hopefully that is the 3rd rounder they give up.

You can't trade comp picks. They haven't been officially announced either. The pick they traded today is their own actual 3rd round pick, #77 overall.

They will get a comp pick for Steinbach that should be at the end of the 3rd round, somewhere around #96

Buckeye33
02-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Kenny Phillips anyone?

Only if they trade the #9 pick to Dallas for the #22 and #24. Then take Phillips and Merling or Harvey.

Want to talk about totally rehabbing a D!

Of course the chances of them trading the #9 pick are slim.

traderumor
02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
So, Rogers has been in trouble for taking "diet pills" and I remember perhaps reading about him struggling to play hard every down. I'm not real sure about this deal, although for draft picks, it lowers the risk.

KoryMac5
02-29-2008, 05:00 PM
He is a big man who gets into the backfield and disrupts plays. I am impressed that the Bengals went after a guy who is getting to the peak of his career(Rogers), instead of someone at the down end (Adams). The only worry I have is his constant battle with weight.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 05:01 PM
While underperforming he still did more than any of our DTs or even DL did last year in terms of a pass rush

wheels
02-29-2008, 06:02 PM
That fella had more sacks than any DT in the league last year.

I'll take my chances.

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Is there anyone who doesn't like the move from the Bengals' side?

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Is there anyone who doesn't like the move from the Bengals' side?

I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I just think about how crappy they have done in recent years with picks due to injuries or just bad picks. Id rather them grab Rogers than continue down the same path.

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I just think about how crappy they have done in recent years with picks due to injuries or just bad picks. Id rather them grab Rogers than continue down the same path.That's what I mean. We have had such a crappy defense, and such a terrible history of drafting, we couldn't have gone wrong.

WVRed
02-29-2008, 07:33 PM
With the news of Patterson out for the year and Cousins committing to UAB, this is the best news I could ask for today.

DT is no longer a need heading into the draft. I think you will see Vernon Gholston wearing stripes next season.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
With the news of Patterson out for the year and Cousins committing to UAB, this is the best news I could ask for today.

DT is no longer a need heading into the draft. I think you will see Vernon Gholston wearing stripes next season.

I think Oakland might be another team looking to move out of the top 5 after they resigned their DT.

NorrisHopper30
02-29-2008, 08:11 PM

As I don't see Gholston dropping to 9, do you think the Bengals will trade up for Gholston, stay at 9 and draft a S (Phillips) or LB (Connor) or trade down for Harvey.

I'd honestly rather see us trade up for Gholston or down for Harvey than go S or LB.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Id rather them move up for Gholston or move back a few spots for a LB

WVRed
02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
As I don't see Gholston dropping to 9, do you think the Bengals will trade up for Gholston, stay at 9 and draft a S (Phillips) or LB (Connor) or trade down for Harvey.

I'd honestly rather see us trade up for Gholston or down for Harvey than go S or LB.

Connor and Phillips could be had later. Another possibility would be drafting Sedrick Ellis(if he falls) and use him as a DE.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I just saw a report that the trade didnt go through

NorrisHopper30
02-29-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080229/SPORTS0101/802290460

CTA513
02-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I just saw a report that the trade didnt go through

Watch the trade end up not happening and then have the Bengals go back to being the Bengals in free agency.

:bang:

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
I dont understand what happened. Who pulled out of the deal...

joshnky
02-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Could it be health related? That seems to be all that makes sense. Unless Rogers balked at the deal and threatened to hold out.

CTA513
02-29-2008, 09:36 PM
From NFL.com:

Rogers-to-Bengals trade starting to unravel
Associated Press

DETROIT -- The trade that would have sent Detroit Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rodgers to the Cincinnati Bengals for third- and fifth-round draft picks appears to have fallen apart, according to a report on The Detroit News Web site.

The trade, confirmed by the Lions earlier in the day on Friday, was never consummated. And now, according to the News report, the Lions will look to trade Rodgers to another team. NFL Network's Adam Schefter confirmed the accuracy of the report.

:roll:

CTA513
02-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Profootballtalk.com is saying that the Rogers is now going to the Browns and that the NFL rejected the trade of Rogers to the Bengals.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 09:51 PM
:bowrofl: Goodell is so worthless, is it not clear now that he does have some type of vendetta against the bengals?

CTA513
02-29-2008, 09:56 PM
:bowrofl: Goodell is so worthless, is it not clear now that he does have some type of vendetta against the bengals?

Next he will tell the Bengals after the draft that Thurman won't be allowed to play in 2008.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Next he will tell the Bengals after the draft that Thurman won't be allowed to play in 2008.

No doubt in my mind about that

KoryMac5
02-29-2008, 10:16 PM
So many rumors flying around on this deal right now. One site has the trade never going to the league office to begin with, which means either the Bengals or the Lions called it off. Could be the Bengals were concerned about Rogers off the field issue involving a stripper, or the million dollar bonus Rogers is due.

WMR
02-29-2008, 10:17 PM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: (:bang: x 10000)

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 10:21 PM
That's gotta be the stupidest thing I have ever heard! Why in the world would they veto a trade like that? The Bengals were well under the cap, even with Rogers' contract.

CTA513
02-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Heres what Mark Curnutte posted on his blog:

League stops Rogers trade to Bengals

The NFL nixed the trade today of Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to the Bengals for two draft picks because it ran afoul of league salary-cap rules.

The Bengals had agreed to trade third- and fifth-round picks to Detroit in April’s draft in exchange for Rogers, who plays at more than 360 pounds and had seven sacks among his 66 tackles in 2007.

The Bengals confirmed nothing Friday, even as reports swirled nationally that Lions officials had said they'd traded Rogers to the Bengals for third- and fifth-round picks in April's draft. The Bengals have the 77th overall pick in Round 3 but are expecting to gain compensatory draft picks in the third and fifth rounds for 2007 free agent defections.

Kennard McGuire, Rogers’ agent, told The Enquirer in an e-mail this afternoon that Rogers had been traded to the Bengals.

Neither the Bengals nor Lions backed out. The league stepped in to prevent the trade.

The Detroit News is reporting tonight on its Web site that Rogers was headed to Cleveland for a third-round pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden. Browns coach Romeo Crennel said last week at the scouting combine that their priority was to upgrade their front seven defensively.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2008/02/league-stops-rogers-trade-to-bengals.asp

Redhook
02-29-2008, 10:26 PM
What in sam's hell is going on around here?

WMR
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
@#$% the NFL and @#$% Roger Goodell. :censored:

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
@#$% the NFL and @#$% Roger Goodell. :censored:I think that about says it.:)

NorrisHopper30
02-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Heres what Mark Curnutte posted on his blog:

I'm assuming the Lions had salary cap issues, not the Bengals?

WMR
02-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm sure if it was one of the NFL's "GOLDEN BOY FRANCHISES" it would have gone through with no problem.

I'm not going to curse on RZ, but rest assured I'm doing it in my living room right now.

:censored: :censored: :censored:

bleeping bull bleep

WVRed
02-29-2008, 10:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271113

An apparent snag has developed in the Shaun Rogers trade to Cincinnati that has the Lions calling around seeking other trade options and could nix the trade.

Earlier Friday, the Lions worked out a trade in which Rogers would go to the Bengals in exchange for No. 3 and No. 5 picks in the 2008 draft. The Lions confirmed the details of the trade with the local media. But the Bengals didn't officially confirm the trade, and the front office has the public relations staff on hold to make an official announcement.

In the meantime, there is talk the Lions might be considering a trade involving Rogers going to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a third-round choice and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

The Rogers-to-Bengals trade has not been officially sent to the NFL league office.

Rogers is often among the most dominant defensive players in the league. But he failed to live up to expectations at times because of weight and off-the-field problems.

The Bengals, meanwhile, agreed to terms on a three-year contract with linebacker Dhani Jones.

Jones and linebacker Landon Johnson were two of the team's priorities to re-sign once free agency started Friday morning. Jones, who signed with the Bengals during the 2007 season after a number of linebacker injuries, was the first to reach an agreement. Talks continue with Johnson, who is an unrestricted free agent.

The Bengals lost safety Madieu Williams to the Vikings early Friday morning when he agreed to a six-year, $33 million contract.

This is officially the most depressing day in sports. One bit of closure though may be that Leigh Bodden is out of the AFC North. If I had to choose between facing Shaun Rogers or Leigh Bodden twice a season, id take Rogers.

sonny
02-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm Speechless. I'm completely without speech.

WMR
02-29-2008, 10:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271113

This is officially the most depressing day in sports. One bit of closure though may be that Leigh Bodden is out of the AFC North. If I had to choose between facing Shaun Rogers or Leigh Bodden twice a season, id take Rogers.

No kidding. As a UK and Bengals fan, it doesn't get much worse than this.

CTA513
02-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm assuming the Lions had salary cap issues, not the Bengals?

The Bengals have plenty of cap room, so I would assume its the Lions.

WVRed
02-29-2008, 10:52 PM
No kidding. As a UK and Bengals fan, it doesn't get much worse than this.

Another bit of consolation, no matter how depressing this day is.

Cleveland has officially traded out of the first day of the draft. Corey Williams for a second round pick and Shaun Rogers for a third round pick.

WVRed
02-29-2008, 10:53 PM
The Bengals have plenty of cap room, so I would assume its the Lions.

If you read the ESPN article, the Bengals did not confirm the trade. That made it possible for the Lions to back out and take the better deal.

IMO, the Bengals were getting the better end of the deal. With the Browns giving up Bodden now, the deal favors Detroit.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 11:00 PM
So the lions couldnt handle the cap yet they can bring in Bodden? Im confused

WVRed
02-29-2008, 11:08 PM
So the lions couldnt handle the cap yet they can bring in Bodden? Im confused

This has nothing to do with the Lions not being able to handle the cap. Mike Brown was an idiot and did not confirm the trade. Cleveland came in with a better offer and Detroit took it.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 11:11 PM
This has nothing to do with the Lions not being able to handle the cap. Mike Brown was an idiot and did not confirm the trade. Cleveland came in with a better offer and Detroit took it.

Did you miss the Curnutte post or are you just refusing to read it?

LoganBuck
02-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Rogers has three years left on his contract. I am going to assume that he has a signing bonus that would have accelerated into the this year for the Lions, which is the same reason the Bengals can not trade Chad Johnson. I don't understand how they can trade him to Cleveland though.

WVRed
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Did you miss the Curnutte post or are you just refusing to read it?

Yes, I read it, but I also read the ESPN column. Which is more believable?

I know its ESPN, but would it actually surprise you that Mike Brown would be incompetent enough not to sign off on a trade?

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Yes, I read it, but I also read the ESPN column. Which is more believable?

I know its ESPN, but would it actually surprise you that Mike Brown would be incompetent enough not to sign off on a trade?
ESPN story
Updated: February 29, 2008, 9:47 PM ET

Marks
posted by Mark at 10:20 PM 17 comments

:dunno:

CTA513
03-01-2008, 12:17 AM
This is the update from Bengals.com:

Bengals looking at more options

Updated: 11;50 p.m.

With ESPN.com reporting that the NFL has voided the Shaun Rogers trade because of language issues, the Bengals appear to be considering other options along their defensive front involving trades and/or unrestricted free agents.

If the league doesn't reverse its stance, one player that could be in their sights is Jets' tackle Dewayne Robertson, one of the players involved in a three-team deal with Rogers that didn't come off Friday morning and led to the Bengals' trade with Detroit in which the Bengals swapped their third- and fifth-round picks.

An NFL source confirmed the trade and most outlets reported it. As the night wore on, reports had Rogers going to Cleveland for cornerback Leigh Bodden and a draft pick and came at the end of a typically frenzied first day of free agency.

Bip Roberts
03-01-2008, 12:19 AM
sigh... :rolleyes:

WMR
03-01-2008, 12:26 AM
TIME TO GET THE CHANT GOING AGAIN:

MIKE BROWN STEP DOWN

MIKE BROWN STEP DOWN

MIKE BROWN STEP DOWN

:rolleyes:

*BaseClogger*
03-01-2008, 12:58 AM
im confused... (we need a confusion smiley)

Bip Roberts
03-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Most people are reporting it was language in the trade. How the heck can you screw up a trade...

WMR
03-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Most people are reporting it was language in the trade. How the heck can you screw up a trade...

It's amazingly simple when you're the Bungles.

redsfan4445
03-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Mike Brown is giggling.. "HEHE i still have my sellouts kids" don't worry about it"

Bip Roberts
03-01-2008, 01:03 AM
It's amazingly simple when you're the Bungles.

:dunno: Id rather just blame goodell for hating the bengals

*BaseClogger*
03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Mike Brown is giggling.. "HEHE i still have my sellouts kids" don't worry about it"

Unfortunately it seems this is the way many NFL franchises are run (Matt Millen still has a job)...

WMR
03-01-2008, 01:09 AM
:dunno: Id rather just blame goodell for hating the bengals

I'm willing to spread it around liberally in this case. Plenty available to go around.

Bip Roberts
03-01-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm willing to spread it around liberally in this case. Plenty available to go around.

:cool:

camisadelgolf
03-01-2008, 03:09 AM
im confused... (we need a confusion smiley)

You mean the one titled 'confused'? :confused:

Handofdeath
03-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Look, I know the Bengals need defensive help badly but the one thing they really don't need is another problem player. Bengals fans should be cheering the fact that Shaun Rogers is not going to become a Bengal. I can't believe the Bengals F.O. is so stupid to even consider trading for a guy who has already been suspended once for taking a banned substance and who has a reputation for not trying hard.

Matt700wlw
03-01-2008, 11:33 AM
The biggest bunch of morons in organized and unorganized sports reign in Cincinnnati....

I hope Mike Brown's daughter and Son-in law are smarter than this idiot.

traderumor
03-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Y'all kill me. No one has reported anything but "we think it had something to do with language in the trade" and "salary cap issues" and you jump to conclusions about what went wrong. Now, never mind that the Detroit Lions are at the top of the list of screwed up franchises, but jump to the conclusion that it must be Mikey's fault.

But you go ahead...jump to conclusions before insiders even know what the heck happened, don't worry about letting the facts come in...

btw, this reminds me of the Warren Sapp deal, and it is probably Mikey being his deliberate self, but I challenge folks to not rush to judgment about things. Quit being so dang reactionary to every little tidbit of information (steps down off soapbox).

Matt700wlw
03-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe the deal was in french...

WMR
03-01-2008, 12:25 PM
It's not like Mikey has a track record of screwing up or anything...

KoryMac5
03-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Y'all kill me. No one has reported anything but "we think it had something to do with language in the trade" and "salary cap issues" and you jump to conclusions about what went wrong. Now, never mind that the Detroit Lions are at the top of the list of screwed up franchises, but jump to the conclusion that it must be Mikey's fault.

But you go ahead...jump to conclusions before insiders even know what the heck happened, don't worry about letting the facts come in...

btw, this reminds me of the Warren Sapp deal, and it is probably Mikey being his deliberate self, but I challenge folks to not rush to judgment about things. Quit being so dang reactionary to every little tidbit of information (steps down off soapbox).

Plus let's be real, there are more options out there in DT land. Stroud and Robertson are both still on the market and I could see the Bengals taking a run at either one of those guys. Rogers is a very good player but at 357lbs when does his body start breaking down. Odom is in this week as well as McCree, I for one would love a tandem of Stroud and Odom.

Lockdwn11
03-01-2008, 12:39 PM

You can't trade comp picks, I'm pretty sure.

GoReds33
03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
You can't trade comp picks, I'm pretty sure.That's exactly right, but that pick is probably why they felt this pick was expendable.

Newport Red
03-01-2008, 03:56 PM

The Bengals dabble in football. The inexperience shows.

*BaseClogger*
03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
You mean the one titled 'confused'? :confused:

told ya I was confused ;)

Bip Roberts
03-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I love how there is still no information on why the trade was blocked.

Screwball
03-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I love how there is still no information on why the trade was blocked.

Supposedly it has something to do with the $1 million roster bonus that was to be paid to Rogers today. Now why that would prompt the League to veto a trade to the Bengals and not the Browns is beyond me.

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Supposedly it has something to do with the $1 million roster bonus that was to be paid to Rogers today. Now why that would prompt the League to veto a trade to the Bengals and not the Browns is beyond me.

Yea thats all I have gotten also. 1 million bonus some how did something against the rules.

traderumor
03-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Was on the road and listening to Sportstalk and the owner of profootballtalk.com made his educated guess that it was about the $1M and whose cap it would hit. The Lions wanted Rogers completely off the books, but did not get the deal done by 4pm Friday and could not take the hit on their cap as a result. Then, saddled with the $1M hit anyhow, Cleveland swooped in with Bodden and a draft pick and the Lions took that deal instead.

In summary, it was the Lions, Tigers and a pair of Browns, oh my.

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Thats how I understood it also. Lions tried to cheat the system and failed

KoryMac5
03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Was on the road and listening to Sportstalk and the owner of profootballtalk.com made his educated guess that it was about the $1M and whose cap it would hit. The Lions wanted Rogers completely off the books, but did not get the deal done by 4pm Friday and could not take the hit on their cap as a result. Then, saddled with the $1M hit anyhow, Cleveland swooped in with Bodden and a draft pick and the Lions took that deal instead.

In summary, it was the Lions, Tigers and a pair of Browns, oh my.

Well let's just blame Mike Brown anyways, it's easier and a lot more fun. ;)

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/03/shaun_rogers_gives_lions_assis.html

Is what someone is reporting. I find this part a little weird though.

While the Lions and Bengals were pleading their case to the league office to agree to the contract, the Browns - one of Cincinnati's division rivals - got wind of the impending trade.

It's not completely clear who initiated the contact, but Rogers' agent was in touch with the Browns and the long-term contract situation no longer appeared to be a problem. The Lions were then contacted and asked if they were still interested in doing business with the Browns. Leigh Bodden was back on the table and the Lions leaped at it.