PDA

View Full Version : Stallworth to Cleveland

Matt700wlw
03-01-2008, 05:39 PM
please delete this - I put the news in the free agent thread.

Thanks.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Real good couple of days for the Browns, looks like they are in go for it mode right now. Braylon, Stallworth, Winslow, and Jerivicious sounds deadly. Go Browns why stop now how bout that Randy guy?

cincrazy
03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
When the Bengals season ended, I was so excited that I didn't have to worry about the NFL again for months.

Then CJ demands a trade.... then Rodgers doesn't end up in Cincy... then he goes to the Browns.... then the Browns get Stallworth... not to mention Williams earlier.

The Browns are clearly the best team in the division next year, as much as it pains me to say it. The Bengals are in for a loooonggggggggggggg ride.

CrackerJack
03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
When the Bengals season ended, I was so excited that I didn't have to worry about the NFL again for months.

Then CJ demands a trade.... then Rodgers doesn't end up in Cincy... then he goes to the Browns.... then the Browns get Stallworth... not to mention Williams earlier.

The Browns are clearly the best team in the division next year, as much as it pains me to say it. The Bengals are in for a loooonggggggggggggg ride.

They're using FA to their advantage and it's helping them. Something the Bengals just don't do and it shows, with big holes and weakenesses galore that come back to bite them every year...along with poor personnel decisions (bad drafting, too much emphasis on player loyalty, lack of scouts, a GM, etc..,)

They still don't have a playoff caliber QB, something the Bengals have along with a better WR corps (still) but a terrible defensive front and a declining 0-line and a bunch of injured, mediocre Rb's. No doubt the Browns may be the team to beat though, or at least have improved the most.

What kills me is the Bengals' need to be spending $ and making moves now - and getting it done not farting things away with stupid errors. They only have so much time while Carson is in his prime still. Take advantage of it - the last two years they haven't, looks that way again. I'm just tired of it.

I hope they pull off a relatively miraculous chain of events leading up to next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

CTA513
03-01-2008, 07:54 PM
BROWNS SIGN WR DONTE’ STALLWORTH TO A SEVEN-YEAR CONTRACT

The Cleveland Browns have signed WR Donte’ Stallworth to a seven-year contract, the club announced today.

Stallworth, 6-0 and 200 lbs., is a six-year NFL veteran who has played in 84 games with New Orleans, Philadelphia and New England and has totaled 279 receptions for 4,213 yards (15.1 avg.) and 31 touchdowns. Last season with New England, Stallworth totaled 46 receptions for 697 yards and three touchdowns. Stallworth had a career-high 70 receptions and 945 yards with New Orleans in 2005.

“Donte’ will be the major addition to our offense this year,” said Phil Savage, Browns Senior Vice President and General Manager. “He will bring legitimate speed, quickness and playmaking ability to the receiving corps and add a different dimension to the skill players we already have in place. We're glad he's a Cleveland Brown.”

Stallworth, 27, originally was a first-round draft choice, 13th overall, by New Orleans in the 2002 NFL Draft. In his rookie season with the Saints, Stallworth established a career-high eight touchdown receptions.

WMR
03-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Is it even fair to say that Phil Savage and Mike Brown are in the same profession?

Playadlc
03-01-2008, 08:02 PM
This is a terrible signing.

CTA513
03-01-2008, 08:13 PM
According the some people on the Browns forum its a 7 year deal, not a 5 year deal.

I also saw that the Browns have DE Travis LaBoy in town and are trying to sign him.

*edit* Heres the Browns press release that was just posted on the Browns forums:

BROWNS SIGN WR DONTE’ STALLWORTH TO A SEVEN-YEAR CONTRACT

The Cleveland Browns have signed WR Donte’ Stallworth to a seven-year contract, the club announced today.

Stallworth, 6-0 and 200 lbs., is a six-year NFL veteran who has played in 84 games with New Orleans, Philadelphia and New England and has totaled 279 receptions for 4,213 yards (15.1 avg.) and 31 touchdowns. Last season with New England, Stallworth totaled 46 receptions for 697 yards and three touchdowns. Stallworth had a career-high 70 receptions and 945 yards with New Orleans in 2005.

“Donte’ will be the major addition to our offense this year,” said Phil Savage, Browns Senior Vice President and General Manager. “He will bring legitimate speed, quickness and playmaking ability to the receiving corps and add a different dimension to the skill players we already have in place. We're glad he's a Cleveland Brown.”

Stallworth, 27, originally was a first-round draft choice, 13th overall, by New Orleans in the 2002 NFL Draft. In his rookie season with the Saints, Stallworth established a career-high eight touchdown receptions.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
This is a terrible signing.For non Browns fans

GAC
03-02-2008, 05:18 AM
This is a terrible signing.

The Derek Anderson deal was IMO. Not that I didn't want Anderson back on the team, or that he isn't a good QB; but I think the Browns went overboard in the fear of losing him.

They tendered him the 2.5 mil for 1 yr which means any team that signed him would have to forfeit and 1st and 3rd rounder. And I just don't see a team giving that up for a Derek Anderson. Maybe I'm wrong.

The Browns should have held their ground IMO; but their logic is that they wanted to have two quality, young QBs on the roster since injury can quickly take it down to one, or even none, if Derek is gone, the job was handed to Quinn, and he got hurt.

Four of the six players who started along the offensive line for the Browns in 2007 were free agent pickups, while the three players who started the most games along the defensive line were free agent signings as well.

The Browns added two proven, quality defensive linemen in DL Corey Williams and DE Shaun Rogers. They have addressed a much needed area: run defense and pass rush.

To get Williams, they gave up their 2nd round pick, and Savage believes the Browns wouldn't be able to get a defensive lineman near Williams' caliber with the 56th overall pick.

To acquire defensive lineman Shaun Rogers from the Detroit Lions in exchange for the Browns' 2008 third-round pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

I like the deals. They've addressed a key issue and taken the next step IMHO.

Cedric
03-02-2008, 07:12 AM
The Williams move was great, IMO. The Rogers one is up for debate. Leigh Bodden didn't have his best year last year, but Rogers is a guy with a steroid suspension and supposedly weighs 375 right now.

Stallworth is a huge enigma. He disappears at times and drops a ton of balls. Honestly I would rarely pay big money for a WR in free agency unless the guy is Chad Johnson/Randy Moss proven. Stallworth might be a huge addition, I just don't see it. I see Williams and a fired up Rogers as good moves. If Rogers loses weight and stays clean he obviously will dominate.

WMR
03-02-2008, 08:09 AM
The one thing NOT up for debate currently is that the Bengals haven't done jack @#$%.

Oh, wait, they resigned Dahani Jones. :rolleyes:

mole44
03-02-2008, 11:49 AM
They still don't have a playoff caliber QB, something the Bengals have along with a better WR corps (still) but a terrible defensive front and a declining 0-line and a bunch of injured, mediocre Rb's. I assume you are talking about the Browns by that first sentence. You say the Bengals have a better WR corps? Thats probably true, if you go on talent alone. Theres no doubt, theres talent. But the character issues would worry me a bit. I think the Browns have better "pass catchers" since that would then include K2. Do the Bengals even have a tight end? A declining O-line? The only starter the Browns have that you could say may be declining would be Ryan Tucker. But he seemed to take quite well the the RG spot. The running game really improved when he came back. Bentley's status is still up in the air, and I doubt he'll come back close to what he was. But even if he comes back close, I dont really see how a line can be in decline with the likes of Thomas, Steinbach and Bentley. Next, you mention oft injured, mediocre running backs. Lewis missed a game, and still ran for 1300 yards. Jason Wright and Jerome Harrison(the backups) aren't pro bowl caliber, but they are BACKUPS. They are solid. So really, I don't see your point. ;)