PDA

View Full Version : Bruce suffers quadricep injury

AmarilloRed
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Bruce day-to-day with quad injury
Center field prospect injures left leg in second inning vs. Jays
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Jay Bruce said he'll be back from his left quad injury "in no time." (Keith Srakocic/AP)

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Top prospect Jay Bruce will be monitored day-to-day after he made an early exit from Sunday's game because of a mild left quadriceps strain.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080302&content_id=2401089&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

It doesn't seem like a serious injury, but the Reds will monitor him day-to-day. It will give some of the other outfielders an opportunity to show what they can do.

GoReds33
03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I hope this isn't one of those "small" injuries that the Reds always seem to turn into 3-4 week injuries, like with Gonzalez. I hope it's just a small thing, and he's back in less than a week.

Snowmanlikeme
03-02-2008, 11:29 PM
The news of Bruce being day to day really worries me. I hope it turns out to be nothing but some sore quads and he will be fine. I would hate to see him lose his shot at starting opening day because of this. he has been killing it all spring long.

reds2221
03-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Let's all pray that this really is a minor injury

namichael
03-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Let's all pray that this really is a minor injury

Agreed. It's a pity that this has happened when it has. I'm sure this won't help his chances of being in a Reds uniform come March 31.

Nick

Blue
03-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Now it sounds like Dusty is going to use this as an excuse to not play him in CF. Check Fay.

Natty Redlocks
03-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Now it sounds like Dusty is going to use this as an excuse to not play him in CF. Check Fay.

My thought exactly. Dusty wants Hopper/ Freel in CF and Bruce is trying to screw up his fiendish plans. Now he can send him to Louisville no matter what he does. Which isn't horrible but it'll be tough to watch if the munchkin twins struggle.

bubbachunk
03-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello Bats

SMcGavin
03-03-2008, 04:54 PM

It will be ok, it's just a couple of days out. I believe Bruce has a hit in every ST game thus far. I am a little worried though - whenever Redszone freaks out about small stuff, I usually relax because I know WK is a pretty smart guy. Now Dusty Baker, I don't know.

snowstorm
03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I realize the Reds haven't exactly had good luck with injuries, but there's no need to panic IMO. Injuries during spring training are very common.

reds2221
03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I realize the Reds haven't exactly had good luck with injuries, but there's no need to panic IMO. Injuries during spring training are very common.

thats what happens to the out of shape guys (even though bruce looked like he had done some off-season work)

NDReds9
03-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I bet each of us suffers mild quad strains every time we exercise.

Nothing serious at all, and it didn't even warrant taking him out of the game.

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Ive had pain from a cramp last longer than a strain

jmac
03-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Is there any update on Bruce ?

AmarilloRed
03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Is there any update on Bruce ?

Injury report: Outfield prospect Jay Bruce, out with a mild left quadriceps strain, hasn't played since Sunday, but he could return on Friday.

"Bruce asked to pinch-hit [on Tuesday]. I said, 'No,'" Baker said. "From my experience, if they say, 'I'm ready today,' I wait until tomorrow. Invariably, I'm not lying, the first at-bat they'll have to beat out an infield hit -- every time. Then you're like, no, don't run."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080305&content_id=2406461&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Bruce could be back on Friday.

jmac
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Injury report: Outfield prospect Jay Bruce, out with a mild left quadriceps strain, hasn't played since Sunday, but he could return on Friday.

"Bruce asked to pinch-hit [on Tuesday]. I said, 'No,'" Baker said. "From my experience, if they say, 'I'm ready today,' I wait until tomorrow. Invariably, I'm not lying, the first at-bat they'll have to beat out an infield hit -- every time. Then you're like, no, don't run."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080305&content_id=2406461&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Bruce could be back on Friday.
Thanks for the update.
You're quick :thumbup:

mlbfan30
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Will Carroll at Baseball Prospect made a great point on the radio yesterday.

He said injuries in Spring Training are good, and I agree with him.

Keystone12
03-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Will Carroll at Baseball Prospect made a great point on the radio yesterday.

He said injuries in Spring Training are good, and I agree with him.

Why?

mlbfan30
03-05-2008, 10:37 PM
They allow teams to focus their attention on that injury. Instead of an unknown injury waiting to happen during the season, the team knows to look for a re-occurrence of the injury during the season.

So now the Reds can use preventative measures now and during the season so he won't get the injury again. They will make sure he gets proper treatment. Many players have the injury scare in ST but are fine during the season because teams respond. Players are less likely to hide injuries now because games don't matter; therefore preventing it from becoming a bigger problem. Obviously some type of season ending injury is bad, but smaller ones could actually be good.