PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Starting off Fast...

K-GAR
03-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Looks like Josh is off to a fast start in Texas, good for him. I hope Volquez pans out cause i hated seeing him go.

Mar 2 CF Josh Hamilton is causing quite a buzz in camp, not just with his tremendous batting practice displays of power, but also with his performance in games. Hamilton was 6-for-9 with a home run through the first weekend of the spring.

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Looks like Josh is off to a fast start in Texas, good for him. I hope Volquez pans out cause i hated seeing him go.

Mar 2 CF Josh Hamilton is causing quite a buzz in camp, not just with his tremendous batting practice displays of power, but also with his performance in games. Hamilton was 6-for-9 with a home run through the first weekend of the spring.

He also already sat out a few games because of "soreness"

K-GAR
03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
He also already sat out a few games because of "soreness"

ah, wasn't aware

Bip Roberts
03-02-2008, 11:32 PM
ah, wasn't aware

Josh Hamilton, complaining of soreness, was given Friday and Saturday off to rest and will return to action Sunday.

On rotoworld

laxtonto
03-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Humm...well considering he started the in the 2 intra squad games, then the first 2 games to start the ST season, im not suprised they gave him time off. Especially after the long layoff.

4 games in 4 days, at the start of ST.... I expect guys to be sore...

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Humm...well considering he started the in the 2 intra squad games, then the first 2 games to start the ST season, im not suprised they gave him time off. Especially after the long layoff.

4 games in 4 days, at the start of ST.... I expect guys to be sore...

Josh Hamilton sore and other players getting sore are 2 completely different things just based off last year.

IowaRed
03-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Josh Hamilton sore and other players getting sore are 2 completely different things just based off last year.

You may be correct but possibly overstating things a little. I believe Josh was on the DL 3 times last year. Once was for an inflamed digestive tract, once for a wrist problem and then his season ended early because of a hamstring issue. (There were likely other issues that didn't put him on the DL) He's about 4 years removed from a full-blown crack addiction, completely out of baseball, and then played 90 games as a 26 year old rookie last year. I would think some of the soreness last year and this aren't exactly shocking.

Found a link to a story in Josh's own words, that I hadn't read before, although I'm sure it was posted here it-makes for interesting reading. I'm really hoping he can stay on the right path personally and become a great player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2926447

IowaRed
03-03-2008, 09:51 AM
double post

namichael
03-03-2008, 10:17 AM
You may be correct but possibly overstating things a little. I believe Josh was on the DL 3 times last year. Once was for an inflamed digestive tract, once for a wrist problem and then his season ended early because of a hamstring issue. (There were likely other issues that didn't put him on the DL) He's about 4 years removed from a full-blown crack addiction, completely out of baseball, and then played 90 games as a 26 year old rookie last year. I would think some of the soreness last year and this aren't exactly shocking.

Found a link to a story in Josh's own words, that I hadn't read before, although I'm sure it was posted here it-makes for interesting reading. I'm really hoping he can stay on the right path personally and become a great player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2926447

I've read that article. Even if you aren't a religious person, reading this will definitely make you pull for him.

I wish the Reds played the Rangers in Cincy this year just to see what the crowd reaction would be when he took the field.

Nick

bounty37h
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM

A little shortsighted I think, other players soreness would prob be higher if they had been out of the game several years then jumped right back into it at the majors level/schedule full steam ahead. So, how do you feel about Griff and Dunn getting so many days off already, to prevent soreness?

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
A little shortsighted I think, other players soreness would prob be higher if they had been out of the game several years then jumped right back into it at the majors level/schedule full steam ahead. So, how do you feel about Griff and Dunn getting so many days off already, to prevent soreness?

Dunn and Griffey are getting days off because we have so many youngsters who we need to see play.

I guess you think I should just ignore that hamilton hasnt played a full season of baseball since HS, was a big time drug addict, played last year and sat for days when ever he was sore and went to the DL 3 times last year. So yes Josh Hamilton being sore is a lot different than other players being sore.

Carolina Red
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I guess you think I should just ignore that hamilton hasnt played a full season of baseball since HS, was a big time drug addict, played last year and sat for days when ever he was sore and went to the DL 3 times last year. So yes Josh Hamilton being sore is a lot different than other players being sore.

What we shouldn't ignore is the fact that we got a 24 year old pitcher who still hasn't learned to throw strikes or a breaking ball and at best will be a 4 or 5 pitcher in the majors. He had to go all the way back to A ball with Texas last year and by the time he finally worked his way back to the majors the Rangers had seen enough. We should have gotten a LOT more out of Josh Hamilton than we did, a LOT more. I didn't like the trade then and I doubt I ever will.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
What we shouldn't ignore is the fact that we got a 24 year old pitcher who still hasn't learned to throw strikes or a breaking ball and at best will be a 4 or 5 pitcher in the majors. He had to go all the way back to A ball with Texas last year and by the time he finally worked his way back to the majors the Rangers had seen enough. We should have gotten a LOT more out of Josh Hamilton than we did, a LOT more. I didn't like the trade then and I doubt I ever will.

The fact is the most we got was guy who put up dominating numbers in AAA last year after going back through the system and relearning pitches, pitched fairly well in 6 starts down the stretch and was Texas number 1 pitching prospect.

SMcGavin
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
What we shouldn't ignore is the fact that we got a 24 year old pitcher who still hasn't learned to throw strikes or a breaking ball and at best will be a 4 or 5 pitcher in the majors.

Where can I get one of those crystal balls? While you've got it out how many wins will the Reds have this season? And what kind of career will that 16 year old the Reds signed yesterday have?

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Where can I get one of those crystal balls? While you've got it out how many wins will the Reds have this season? And what kind of career will that 16 year old the Reds signed yesterday have?

so true :laugh:

Carolina Red
03-03-2008, 05:16 PM

You sound like so many on this board who think whatever the Reds FO does is just great. If Volquez was so great why did Texas give up on him? When he came back up last year all they saw was the same pitcher they had before sending all the way down. I realize we need starting pitching but I would have much rather traded Hamilton as a part of a package for Bedard or Haren than to just give him away for a couple of prospects.

Oh, by the way, my crystal balls tell me the Reds are gonna win 76this year and finish 3rd in the division. We'll do better than last year because we'll have a more stable clubhouse and a little better pen. Volquez will be watching from Louisville.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Texas has been such a great franchise over the years thats for sure.

laxtonto
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Volquez is/was Texas #2 pitchin prospect.

As far as Volquez ceiling, sure its possbile that he can become a #2, but living here in dalllas and seeing volquez pitch in person, im not going to believe he will ever reach that point. Volquez had exceptional BABIP # at both his AA and AAA stops last year, meaning that his overall change in whip might be more luck dependant than his overall #'s suggest. Another thing is to consider that his even though he had stellar WHIP # inA, AA and AAA, his 5.09, 2.93 and 3.71 BB/9 is trending back up towards his career averages of 4.72 BB/9. It doesnt show up as much because of his nice K/9 rate, but if his BABIP goes back up to even a league average .285 his WHIP should jump back around the danger level.

Great stuff, live arm, but im still not entirely sure he will ever figure it out.

As far as risk vs. return on Hamilton, I personally would ran him through ST, and moved him then.

SMcGavin
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
You sound like so many on this board who think whatever the Reds FO does is just great. If Volquez was so great why did Texas give up on him?

They didn't "give up" on him, just like the Reds didn't "give up" on Hamilton. Both teams traded a talented player to get a different talented player who more fit their needs.

Revering4Blue
03-03-2008, 10:40 PM
I would have much rather traded Hamilton as a part of a package for Bedard or Haren than to just give him away for a couple of prospects

I tend to agree. I'm not so sure that Hamilton and filler couldn't have netted Blanton.

jmac
03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
I tend to agree. I'm not so sure that Hamilton and filler couldn't have netted Blanton.

It was just my gutt feeling that WK shopped JH out there in several deals.
Probably the rest of the package was the part that caused those deals from not going down.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Im sure WK explored every option.

Revering4Blue
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
It was just my gutt feeling that WK shopped JH out there in several deals.
Probably the rest of the package was the part that caused those deals from not going down.

Im sure WK explored every option.

I don't disagree with either one of you, though I'm still not crazy about the deal which materialized. But, like many posters, I was wrong about the Pena for Arroyo deal, hope I'm wrong here.

laxtonto
03-07-2008, 06:35 PM
I guess this isnt the best time to say Hamilton went 1-2 with a GS, a BB and 4 RBIs... I still dont like this deal, but i understand the reasoning behind it. It just hurts everytime i see Hamiliton rake....

flash
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I believe he had shin splints to start last year, (strange for an athlete who should work out a lot), then he has a mysterious stomach virus that puts him on the disabled list, then he sprains his wrist in the on- deck circle. After that it was his hamstring. Guy gets hurt a lot. little wonder he was addicted to drugs.

SultanOfSwing
03-07-2008, 11:00 PM
I would not have wanted that deal! I much prefer Volquez.

BearcatShane
03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't know what Hamilton will do, but I'm glad to have Volquez. I really am, he's got a very nice arm and and some good off speed stuff. If he gets his control he will be nasty.

eichstadtreds
03-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Agree 100%

jmac
03-09-2008, 06:47 PM
You sound like so many on this board who think whatever the Reds FO does is just great. If Volquez was so great why did Texas give up on him? When he came back up last year all they saw was the same pitcher they had before sending all the way down. I realize we need starting pitching but I would have much rather traded Hamilton as a part of a package for Bedard or Haren than to just give him away for a couple of prospects.

Oh, by the way, my crystal balls tell me the Reds are gonna win 76this year and finish 3rd in the division. We'll do better than last year because we'll have a more stable clubhouse and a little better pen. Volquez will be watching from Louisville.
Is everyone that is traded "given up" on or merely giving up "something" to get "something".
Yes I would have liked a Bedard/Haren but not if that package included a Cueto/Bruce/Votto besides Hamilton.
I am pretty sure Hamilton was used by WK in those talks but the O's wanted "much much" more than him.

LouisvilleCARDS
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I wish we hadn't traded Hamilton - especially since it was supposed to "Clear up" a spot for Bruce that he likely isn't even going to get now. At least if we traded him, it should have been for a more solid prospect, or a pitcher who we could put in the lineup right away. I'm all for getting more pitching, so I hope he turns out to be pretty good.

laxtonto
03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I think my biggest concern isnt the fact that the Reds moved Hamilton, its the fact that instead of getting a guy a little further away with higher upside they pulled the trigger on a great arm no control guy that at this point now has burned atleast 1 but im fairly sure 2 options that may or may not make the MLB roster.

The real question is why move him if he isnt making room for Bruce? Hamilton could have just as easily raked in the Reds ST games and gotten traded for better value. I understand the mentality and the want for pitching, but EV scares me alot. As worried as i am of Hamilton's health issues, im still think he is goign to absolutely rake in Texas.