PDA

View Full Version : ODOM A BENGAL

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080303/SPT02/303030065

NorrisHopper30
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
This just in...Odom's deal falls through due to the Bengals' front offices inability to find a pen for the signatures.

WMR
03-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Mike Brown unable to work the fax machine to send the necessary documents to the league office... Odom signs with Vikings instead.

GoReds33
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
That's one step. We're going to need more help though.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 09:51 PM
You really love your caps lock dont you?

HeatherC1212
03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm happy to see the Bengals finally do something and hopefully it sticks this time! ;)

Redhook
03-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Does anyone know how good Odom is? Is he close/worse/better than Rogers and Robertson? Thanks.

WVRed
03-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Does anyone know how good Odom is? Is he close/worse/better than Rogers and Robertson? Thanks.

Two different positions. Odom is a DE who is similar to Geathers. He did have like eight sacks last year I think.

GoReds33
03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Does anyone know how good Odom is? Is he close/worse/better than Rogers and Robertson? Thanks.Rogers is a couple years older, and has shown flashes of being the best DT in the NFL. Odom is a good consistant player. Granted they play two different positions, but talent wise I'd go with Rogers.

NorrisHopper30
03-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Rogers is a couple years older, and has shown flashes of being the best DT in the NFL. Odom is a good consistant player. Granted they play two different positions, but talent wise I'd go with Rogers.The good thing for the Bengals in this case is that Odom is fairly quiet and is a good guy, while Rogers is a loud mouth that doesn't work hard.

SunDeck
03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I hope Odom is an upgrade from Smith, who I think was better than people gave him credit for. My real concern is not at the ends, but inside the line. They simply need a giant, fat man in the middle to clog up the run. Someone who can't be pushed off the line.

HotCorner
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I heard this morning that Odom had 8 sacks and 29 QB pressures. Those numbers would seem to indicate that he's good at getting to the QB.

Now if they could just acquire a quality DT before the draft ...

Screwball
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I heard this morning that Odom had 8 sacks and 29 QB pressures. Those numbers would seem to indicate that he's good at getting to the QB.

Yeah, those are pretty good numbers, but keep in mind that the Titans' D-Line also had Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch - two of the best in the NFL at their respective positions. I'm unsure whether or not Odom will be able to continue to get pressure now that he's more of a focal point than a forgotten man.

Your last point of the need for a solid DT couldn't be more true. I really think there's a decent chance that Sedrick Ellis falls to us at 9. If we can add either him or a guy like Robertson, the Bengals' D might just improve dramatically next year.

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Kyle Vanden Bosch wasnt much of anything before going to Tenn

OldRightHander
03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
They simply need a giant, fat man in the middle to clog up the run. Someone who can't be pushed off the line.

I saw a couple truckers at the Flying J buffet yesterday who would fit the bill.

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
watching his presser on bengals.com I have never felt so awkward watching something in my life.

NorrisHopper30
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM
watching his presser on bengals.com I have never felt so awkward watching something in my life.

How so?

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 01:56 PM
How so?

I dont really know. Odom is so quiet it was just weird

NorrisHopper30
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I dont really know. Odom is so quiet it was just weird
I heard he was shy, better than Rogers, though.

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I heard he was shy, better than Rogers, though.

He just kinda gave the people with questions not much to work with and there was a few awkward silences and Odom would look at the mic and the ground. He is really shy just from watching the video of the press conf.

HotCorner
03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Your last point of the need for a solid DT couldn't be more true. I really think there's a decent chance that Sedrick Ellis falls to us at 9. If we can add either him or a guy like Robertson, the Bengals' D might just improve dramatically next year.

I hope the Bengals get both Ellis and Robertson. Dare to dream!

Joseph
03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
A guy who pressures the QB versus a guy who made plays. Lets hope those LBs can tackle if he doesn't get the QB.

I do like the signing, just being cautious in my optimism.

James B.
03-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I will give you guys a Titan's fan point of view. Odom got far more money than what he was worth. I was hoping that the Titans would not waste alot of money on him. The Titans have been waiting on him to produce for a while now and this was his first decent year. As someone else pointed out, he had a great supporting cast recieving all the double teams. If I was a Bengals fan I would not expect much from Odom, because he is average at best.

Oxilon
03-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Well than, we replaced average (Justin Smith) with average (Antwan Odom). Except at a much cheaper price. Sounds good in my book!

BuckeyeRedleg
03-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Well than, we replaced average (Justin Smith) with average (Antwan Odom). Except at a much cheaper price. Sounds good in my book!

Exactly.

WVRed
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Who is also two years younger and registered six more sacks than Justin Smith did. He is also flexible and can play as a hybrid in a 3/4 defense if we do end up going that direction.

Call it average if you want, but I call it an improvement.

Oxilon
03-05-2008, 01:14 PM

I was referring to James B.'s (a Titans' fan) post, where he called Odom average. I really do like the signing of Odom (especially since it's a lot less than what it would have cost to retain Smith), I just think we need a DT badly. We could have Julius Peppers and without anybody in the middle, it still wouldn't make a difference.

Cedric
03-07-2008, 12:29 AM

That doesn't increase the quality of the team. According to everyone that has ever watched Odom he isn't an every down player. I'd like to think that he generates enough pressure on 3rd down to make the signing worth it alone. I'm inclined to believe the Bengals and Marvin Lewis honestly don't know how to find true defensive talent at reasonable cost. The Bengals have just been pathetic in the FA market with defensive players. If we still have John Thorton in the middle than I don't think Odom can make much of a difference.

Cedric
03-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Who is also two years younger and registered six more sacks than Justin Smith did. He is also flexible and can play as a hybrid in a 3/4 defense if we do end up going that direction.

Counting sacks don't tell much of a story. Remember Reinard Wilson racking up 9 sacks in 2001? How are we to assume that he can play the LEO position? He's 6'5 and most Titan fans say he doesn't have great lateral quickness.

Remember I'm more pessimistic about the Bengals management than you are about the Reds. think about how I view most of these moves :)

camisadelgolf
03-07-2008, 04:08 AM
I don't think this is a horrible move, and it's certainly better than doing nothing, but it would be foolish to think it will put the Bengals over the top. Hopefully the draft works out in a way that allows the Bengals to get an impact defensive lineman or two.

HBP
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I will give you guys a Titan's fan point of view. Odom got far more money than what he was worth. I was hoping that the Titans would not waste alot of money on him. The Titans have been waiting on him to produce for a while now and this was his first decent year. As someone else pointed out, he had a great supporting cast recieving all the double teams. If I was a Bengals fan I would not expect much from Odom, because he is average at best.

Another Titans fan here. Back when Odom was drafted, he and Travis LaBoy were expected to be high potential players. Like James said, he hasn't produced much until this year. You can take that in two directions though; he's either figured it out and is becoming the player we thought he would or he just had a lucky year because Haynesworth dominated the line and Vanden Bosch was on the other side. I woulnd't say Odom is really good at any one thing, but I'd say he'll be an above average DE for the Bengals.

James B.
03-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Another Titans fan here. Back when Odom was drafted, he and Travis LaBoy were expected to be high potential players. Like James said, he hasn't produced much until this year. You can take that in two directions though; he's either figured it out and is becoming the player we thought he would or he just had a lucky year because Haynesworth dominated the line and Vanden Bosch was on the other side. I woulnd't say Odom is really good at any one thing, but I'd say he'll be an above average DE for the Bengals.

I agree, Odom is a risk, but could be a pretty good player. I am happy with what the Titans did. Odom and LaBoy split time between each other and recieved a total of 11 million a year. The Titans replaced them with Kearse for 3 million a year. They got whay hopefully will be equal production for 8 million less.

James B.
04-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Here is a pretty interesting article about Odom.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3327124

Yachtzee
04-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Here is a pretty interesting article about Odom.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3327124

My hope is that he learned a thing or two playing with Vanden Bosch and Haynesworth. He doesn't need to be all world, but if he can make the Bengals D better, I'm all for it.

Dom Heffner
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I saw a couple truckers at the Flying J buffet yesterday who would fit the bill.

I just let out the biggest laugh with this.

Back to the discussion....

icehole3
04-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Titans saved money and so did the Bengals, Odom 6 years 29mil 11 guaranteed, Justin Smith 6 years 45 mil 20 guaranteed. Smith made a lot of tackles and no pass rush, Odom not as many tackles can rush the passer better than Smith.