PDA

View Full Version : IF Delgado's injury is serious - Trade Hatteberg?

NorrisHopper30
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Apparently the Mets don't have a back up plan at 1b, http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3273369&name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3273369%26name%3dolne y_buster.

What do you think we could get for Hatte from the Mets?

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I dont know anything about the mets system

ChatterRed
03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
I'd hold out for their #1 prospect. ;)

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM

Luckily they didnt trade him for Santana

DannyB
03-04-2008, 07:12 AM
A catcher would be nice

GoReds33
03-04-2008, 07:28 AM
This would be a good trade if it was midseason and Votto is more proven. I just don't see trading away your one insurance policy at first base for a couple prospects that won't be anything anyway...yet. Let Votto progress until mid July, and make your assessment there. If he looks like he's ready to take over full time, then you can trade Hatteberg.

Newman4
03-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Martinez (their #1) is about all they have left. I would be happy with someone like Brant Rustich if they're desperate.

Z-Fly
03-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Does it have to be a prospect? Can we maybe get an arm for the pen?

03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
MLBtraderumors is reporting that the Mets are looking for a RH outfielder to platoon with Ryan Church.

I think the Reds could get a nice return if they packaged Freel with Hatteburg.

BucksandReds
03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd give them Freel and Hatteburg if that means that Votto and Bruce get all of their ABs.

AmarilloRed
03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
We still have Keppinger to get some ABs at first base. Go ahead and make the trade.

BEETTLEBUG
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
For whom?

Nasty_Boy
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
For whom?

Does it matter? Hatte will be a free agent after this season and I don't think the Reds plan on re-signing him. It would give Votto a confidence boost and it would open up some ABs for Kepp or maybe even Rosales. As for Freel, it goes without saying that if you can get someone to take on his contract you do it. The Reds have enough depth, versitility, and young talent to make up for the loss of these two.

mound_patrol
03-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Does it matter? Hatte will be a free agent after this season and I don't think the Reds plan on re-signing him. It would give Votto a confidence boost and it would open up some ABs for Kepp or maybe even Rosales. As for Freel, it goes without saying that if you can get someone to take on his contract you do it. The Reds have enough depth, versitility, and young talent to make up for the loss of these two.

exactly right, I'd take about any prospect that has a pulse to move Freel's contract.

gedred69
03-04-2008, 10:22 PM
exactly right, I'd take about any prospect that has a pulse to move Freel's contract.

For a guy who can fill in at so many positions, Freel's contract isn't bad. I thought when the deal was inked, it made him very tradeable to a team that needed a super-sub for a couple of years, especially somebody close, or even somebody in the hunt. If it hadn't been for the knee injury, I believe he would have been dealt already.

wojo1025
03-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Getty Images

New York Mets general manager Omar Minaya has let teams know that relievers Scott Schoeneweis and Jorge Sosa can be obtained in trades, according to sources briefed on the players' availability the New York Daily News reported.

Schoeneweis has two years and $7.2 million left on his original three-year deal. Sosa will earn $2 million in his final year before free agency.

Source: New York Daily News

Nasty_Boy
03-04-2008, 11:49 PM
For a guy who can fill in at so many positions, Freel's contract isn't bad. I thought when the deal was inked, it made him very tradeable to a team that needed a super-sub for a couple of years, especially somebody close, or even somebody in the hunt. If it hadn't been for the knee injury, I believe he would have been dealt already.

But how well does he fill those positions? It's nice to have a player that can fill in anywhere in a pinch, but Freel is below average in the infield and he's only an average outfielder. He doesn't hit lefties or breaking balls and he's a terrible baserunner. I think he is way overpaid.

mound_patrol
03-05-2008, 08:28 AM
But how well does he fill those positions? It's nice to have a player that can fill in anywhere in a pinch, but Freel is below average in the infield and he's only an average outfielder. He doesn't hit lefties or breaking balls and he's a terrible baserunner. I think he is way overpaid.

To add to that, it's nice to have a multi-positional guy when you have little depth. With the team now we have Keppinger and hatte who are a lot better in the infield, and anyone the Reds have on their roster for the outfield is better than Freel. He's just taking up space.

Jim
03-07-2008, 10:10 AM
This would be a good trade if it was midseason and Votto is more proven. I just don't see trading away your one insurance policy at first base for a couple prospects that won't be anything anyway...yet. Let Votto progress until mid July, and make your assessment there. If he looks like he's ready to take over full time, then you can trade Hatteberg.

We talk about Griffey or Dunn at 1B all the time. Why do we need to hold on to Hatte as an insurance policy?

fugowitribe
03-07-2008, 11:11 AM
We talk about Griffey or Dunn at 1B all the time. Why do we need to hold on to Hatte as an insurance policy?

Don't forget about Bako.