PDA

View Full Version : 3/04/2008 Reds Vs Indians

cumberlandreds
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Per Trent here are today's lineups for another exciting spring training contest. To my knowledge I don't think this on the radio at all today.

Lineup, hot fresh lineup!
Freel cf
Keppinger ss
Griffey lf
Phillips 2b
Dunn lf
Encarnacion 3b
Votto 1b
Bako c
Cabrera dh
pitchers
Belisle
Fogg
Valenzuela
Smit
Thompson

Sizemore cf
Gutierrez rf
Martinez c
Francisco lf
Cabrera ss
Shoppach dh
Marte 1b
Gonzalez 3b
Herr 2b
Cliff Lee p
other pitchers on the travel squad
Matt Ginter
Jorge Julio
Masa Kobayashi
Aaron Laffey
Jensen Lewis
Edward Mujica
Reid Santos
Jeremy Sowers

membengal
03-04-2008, 09:09 AM
that's probably a lot like what the opening day line-up will be in terms of order and personnel. swap in ross for bako, and I think that's it.

BRM
03-04-2008, 10:10 AM
John Fay agrees with you.

Thats' fairly close to lineup you'll see on Opening Day. David Ross not Bako will catching, of course. And you could have Norris Hopper, Corey Patterson or Jay Bruce in center. But it gives you an idea of Dusty Baker is thinking.

flyer85
03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
gotta split those LHBs

reds44
03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
I wonder if Dusty got here three years ago if Griffey would have been hitting leadoff. CFers gotta hit leadoff, dude.

Chip R
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I wonder if Dusty got here three years ago if Griffey would have been hitting leadoff. CFers gotta hit leadoff, dude.

I think he would have made an exception in Jr's case.

BRM
03-04-2008, 01:05 PM
From C. Trent.

* and BREAKING NEWS...

I will not be live blogging, because MLB is cracking down on giving you information. They don't want any competition for their gamecast. I will, however, update after every half-inning. I'll proabably still write live, just delay it. It's a battle of semantics, but I'm only doing what I'm told by my people at 1530Homer.com. I appologize. It seems MLB doesn't feel its content is good enough to go for a straight-up competition. I'll do what I can. And again, I'm sorry. I'll do my best to bend the rules.

Tom Servo
03-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Boo!

M2
03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm in a forgiving mood this spring, but Dunn anywhere lower than #4 is a stupid move once the games start to count.

flyer85
03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm in a forgiving mood this spring, but Dunn anywhere lower than #4 is a stupid move once the games start to count.be prepared for stupid moves

cumberlandreds
03-04-2008, 01:17 PM
From C. Trent.

Just shear stupidty! The NCAA has done the same thing. I guess we can't talk about it either as it is happening. We have to wait an hour.:rolleyes:

BRM
03-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm in a forgiving mood this spring, but Dunn anywhere lower than #4 is a stupid move once the games start to count.

Don't hold your breath. Dusty has already stated that he needs BP to break up Junior and Dunn in the order.

flyer85
03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Don't hold your breath. Dusty has already stated that he needs BP to break up Junior and Dunn in the order.RH pitchers need a breather ... don't want to make it too tough on them.

klw
Curious to see how Daryl Thompson does. I am assuming it is Daryl or am I forgetting another Thompson.

http://www.free-tintin.net/dessins/dupondt.jpg

BRM
RH pitchers need a breather ... don't want to make it too tough on them.

Fear the LOOGY!!

Screwball
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Don't hold your breath. Dusty has already stated that he needs BP to break up Junior and Dunn in the order.

I'd be fine with that against southpaws as Phillips mashes them, but why would one not put Griffey and Dunn back to back against a RHP? It seems like an "old-school" manager would especially want to utilize the lefty/righty match-ups in that scenario.

TeamBoone
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
What time does the game start?

GoReds
03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
0-0 after 1.

BRM
03-04-2008, 01:26 PM
C. Trent...not Live Blogging!

* Top 1: It was 1:07 and 76 degrees at first pitch. I'll be making sure to use lots of past tense, to make sure you know I'm reporting (from, oh, minutes to second ago) instead of LIVE blogging. Sizemore grounded out to Phillips for the first out. And then Gutierrez hit a high (see, the adjective makes it commentary, instead of reporting) foul pop up, caught by Votto. And Belisle did a nice job to go 1-2-3, getting a groundout from Martinez to first and then nicely covered the bag (see the adjectives? Commentary!). Reds 0, Racist Mascots 0

* Bottom 1: Sharply hit by Freel, but right at Marte at first for the first out, way back when. (See, it's so long ago, it's like when they post play-by-play in the newspaper. Man, was that so long ago, no problems for you here, MLB!) Kepp hit one right up the middle, by a diving Cabrera. Cliff Lee gave up No. 499 to Griffey, and in Griffey's next at-bat, he knew Griffey was the last guy he was going to face, so he threw behind his head and got tossed, because he didn't want to give up No. 500. This time, he decided it was better to get Griffey to ground into a double play to short. Easily turned by the RMs. Reds 0, RMs 0

BRM
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
* Top 2: Matt Belisle came out in the middle of the inning, presumably to pitch the top of the inning. But that's speculation, not live blogging! Way back in the begining of that inning -- oh, neigh on 10 minutes ago (and this, I believe, is reminiscing, not live blogging) Ben Frnacisco hit a blistering shot to short, snagged by Keppinger. And if my memory serves after allll this time, Asdrubal Cabrera hit one to center, it bounced over Ryan Freel's head and was ruled a double. But, well, that may not have been it, soooo much time has passed. Oddly, with an onion tied to his belt -- as was the fashion at the time -- Matt Belisle hit Kelly Shoppach. And then, well, I remember it like it was yesterday -- Andy Marte smoked a ball to center, over Ryan Freel's head to score two runs. 2-0. Andy Gonzalez was unable to stop his swing on a 3-2 pitch and was punched out by Bill Welke. Oh, those were the days, those were the days. Andy Herr, a former Red farmhand, was able to take his shot a Belisle, and take it he did, doubling to left, knocking in another run to make it 3-0. Luckily for young Matt Belisle, he was able to get to that hack, Grady Sizemore, who hit teh ball well, but hit it well at BRandon Phillips. ANd that made the score RMs 3, Reds 0

medford
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I must say, despite the stupid MLB thing, C Trent is making this awfully amusing.

membengal
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
It's one of the reasons I am a big fan of his.

lollipopcurve
03-04-2008, 01:49 PM
CTrent is really, really good.

Would be nice to see Belisle pitch OUT of a jam, even if it's just spring.

cumberlandreds
03-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Only C. Trent could take something that is really dumb and turn it into something entertaining. He's really good!

redsmetz
03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I must say, despite the stupid MLB thing, C Trent is making this awfully amusing.

I agree, but I just sent this email to Bob Castellini:

Dear Mr. Castellini,

Last week I emailed your broadcast adminstrator, G. K., asking why WLW doesn't broadcast more of the early Spring Training games. She wrote back very promptly (two minutes!) and sent me the schedule of broadcast games. I wrote back that I had that, but that I was disappointed that the Reds weren't having a fuller schedule of the games on the radio. She again promptly wrote back, thanked me for my inquiry and gave an explanation that there didn't seem to be much of an interest in the early games during work hours and an inability to secure sufficient advertising to warrant broadcasting these games (I'm paraphrasing here).

Today I logged on to redszone.com to read reports on the game, even though neither the Reds or the Indians are broadcasting the game, we were going to rely on one or another reporters who blog the game live. I was disappointed to hear that MLB has clamped down on such "live blogging", so we're not getting play by play reports, rather some after the fact reports on the game. This is the extent that diehard fans will go to hear about our team.

I don't know if you're down in Florida or back here in Cincy, but after a wonderfully beautiful day yesterday that reminded us that spring is coming, today is cold, rainy, dreary and shivering us to the bone. The sweet reminder of a sunny baseball game would take the nip off this chill, to say the least. I hope that next year, the Reds will explore broadcasting as much of the Spring Training schedule as you can. We're aching for baseball and I'd love to listen while I sit at my desk working.

Thank you for your consideration.

BRM
03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Score is 3-3 now. Votto had an RBI single and Cabrera had a two run double.

BRM
03-04-2008, 02:01 PM
C. Trent is cracking me up.

* Top 3: I was just sitting here minding my own business -- certainly wasn't going to liveblog or anything -- and noticed Josh Fogg came to the mound instead of Matt Belisle. Read into that what you wish.

Score is 5-3 Reds.

lollipopcurve
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Cabrera had a two run double.

Is Whole Bear making a 34-year-old bid to crack the roster as an extra? I love spring training.

BRM
03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Fogg gave up a solo homer to Franklin Gutierrez. 5-4 Reds going to the bottom of the 3rd.

flyer85
03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Is Whole Bear making a 34-year-old bid to crack the roster as an extra? I love spring training.... the spirit of Josias Manzanillo and the "Donut King" lives on.

cumberlandreds
03-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree, but I just sent this email to Bob Castellini:

Good letter! :thumbup:

BRM
03-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Is Whole Bear making a 34-year-old bid to crack the roster as an extra? I love spring training.

Nah, guys on minor league contracts never make the team...

BRM
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
He's getting better as the game goes on.

Bottom 3: This half-inning's story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. Ginter threw an eephus to first, but was still able to get Brandon Phillips at first.

Also, it has started raining, but not sure if I'm allowed to report that, because it happened within Ed Smith Stadium.

Adam Dunn recorded the second out with a long fly ball to center. This snippet was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. EE hit a shot off of Andy Marte at first, and that grounder was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. Joey Votto's fly ball to center was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. Reds 5, RMs 4

GoReds
03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Think he's a bit upset?

Chip R
03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Also, it has started raining, but not sure if I'm allowed to report that, because it happened within Ed Smith Stadium.

During WWII, the government told radio announcers that they couldn't say what the weather was over the airwaves since if the enemy knew that the U.S. could be suceptible to attacks. Dizzy Dean was broadcasting games then and one time he said something to the effect of, "I'm not supposed to tell you why this game hasn't started yet but if you stick your head out the window, you're gonna get wet."

medford
03-04-2008, 02:46 PM
During WWII, the government told radio announcers that they couldn't say what the weather was over the airwaves since if the enemy knew that the U.S. could be suceptible to attacks. Dizzy Dean was broadcasting games then and one time he said something to the effect of, "I'm not supposed to tell you why this game hasn't started yet but if you stick your head out the window, you're gonna get wet."

Not that the government hasn't done anything stupid in the past, but I really don't get this. What advantage would Germany have gained if they knew it was raining in Texas or New York or Cincinnati on any given night? I don't know what kind of weather data/forecasting they had back in the 40's but you'd think Germany would have had a spy in most major locals that could have reported the weather back just as easily, if not more efficiently since they could have passed the information along well before the game broadcast started.

Chip R
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Not that the government hasn't done anything stupid in the past, but I really don't get this. What advantage would Germany have gained if they knew it was raining in Texas or New York or Cincinnati on any given night? I don't know what kind of weather data/forecasting they had back in the 40's but you'd think Germany would have had a spy in most major locals that could have reported the weather back just as easily, if not more efficiently since they could have passed the information along well before the game broadcast started.

Most games were still in the day back then. They didn't want baseball stadiums lit up so they could be potential targets.

I think the government was just a little paranoid about that back then. But the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor so their fears may have had some merit. Still, I am not sure how Goering or Tojo could have gotten weather reports on some 1,000 watt station in the Midwest. :dunno:

medford
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
interesting.

Back to the game, since CTrent has stopped blogging to do interviews, it was reported on 700 that the reds were beating up Jeremy Sowers, but I don't know the score nor how many runs either team has at the moment.

BRM
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Here's a scoring summary from John Fay.

Matt Belisle gave up three runs in the second. Two-run double Andy Marte, RBI double from Aaron Herr, formerly of the Louisville Bats.

The Reds scored five in the second. Adam Dunn and Edwin Ecarnacion walked. Joey Votto nicely dropped a single into to score Dunn. Paul Bako walked. Jolbert Cabrera doubled in two. Ryan Freel singled in two more and was out here-to-there trying to go to second.

Line on Belisle: 2 IP, 3 hits, 3 earned runs.

Josh Fogg followed Belisle and gave up a home run to the first batter he faced.

The Reds scored two in the fourth off Jeremy Sowers without hitting ball to the outfield on a fly: Bako infield hit, Hopper infield hit, Paul Janish grounded through the middle, Drew Anderson infield hit.

They put the tarp on after Fogg's scoreless third. He gave up nothing after the homer. Radar didn't look good. This bad boy might be over.

reds44
03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
interesting.

Back to the game, since CTrent has stopped blogging to do interviews, it was reported on 700 that the reds were beating up Jeremy Sowers, but I don't know the score nor how many runs either team has at the moment.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2008_03_04_clemlb_cinmlb_1

It's 7-4 Reds in the 6th.

BRM
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
C. Trent's update on the rain delay.

Was in the clubhouse when guys started trickling in. I will say this, if they do restart it, you're not going to see too many guys who will be on the opening day roster. Most everyone else already had their unifroms off.

cumberlandreds
03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for updates BRM.

BRM
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
C. Trent is reporting the game has been called.

Chip R
03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
interesting.

Back to the game, since CTrent has stopped blogging to do interviews, it was reported on 700 that the reds were beating up Jeremy Sowers,

That'll teach him not to sign with the Reds. Tim Hummell has to be very proud.

red-in-la
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Don't worry, they has saved lots of stupid things for future use.....:D

medford
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Don't worry, they has saved lots of stupid things for future use.....:D

Now that is something all parties, even the independents and libriterians agree on. :beerme:

RedsManRick
03-04-2008, 06:08 PM
How in the world did we score 5 runs with all those walked runners clogging up the bases?

At least things got back to normal with those last 2 runs -- infield hits and squibbers. Way to put the bat on the ball guys! Show those lazy walkers how it's done!

*BaseClogger*
03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Why move spring training to Arizona, it never rains in Florida... :rolleyes: