PDA

View Full Version : Favre allegedly retiring... again

rotnoid
03-04-2008, 10:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that according to Favre's agent, Buss Cook, Favre informed Packers coach Mike McCarthy of his decision Monday night.

Foxsports.com first reported Favre's decision.

A sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer, Favre, acquired in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, led the Packers back to the NFL's elite. He retires with 5,377 carrer completions in 8,758 attempts for 61,655 yards, 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions.

Cook said as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

Favre, who returned for the 2007 season when many thought he should have left the game, had a career renaissance in his final season and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in overtime.

Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers. Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

I'll believe it when I see the presser, but until then, more of the yearly dance. At least to me.

SeeinRed
03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I"ve never heard him claim to retire before. From what I remember, he always said he wanted to wait to make the decision. I don't get all of the animosity towards Brett. He had a great year last year and led his team into the playoffs. They did not win despite Brett. Looked like to me he did have another good year left in him after all. The only people who really seemed unhappy about Brett drawing out his decision were the fans. He earned the right to have that type of decision, and he proved he made the right one last year.

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Good im tired of hearing about him honestly

traderumor
03-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Get him a cheap set of golf clubs, then if he really means it, give him the good ones.

GoReds33
03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
On one hand I'm sad to see him go, but on the other, i'm happy for Aaron Rogers. He really deserves a shot there. He should have gotten drafted higher than he was, and he could have been a really good player. I still think he can be, but after sitting out those years, he's sure to have some rust.

improbus
03-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Well, Favre finally made a decision, which makes today National Middle Aged White Guy Day of Mourning.
Listen, I like Favre but I hear people saying that he was a top 3 QB of all time. In the just the years I have closely followed football I would take Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Brady, and Manning over Favre. Favre could win you a game but just as easily throw four picks in a quarter and lose you a game. He was just too up and down for my liking.

WMR
03-04-2008, 08:55 PM
::YAWN::

To hear ESPN carry on, you'd think the Pope died.

*BaseClogger*
03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
::YAWN::

To hear ESPN carry on, you'd think the Pope died.

the hype machine keeps rolling... :rolleyes:

VR
03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm a Vikes fan, couldn't be happier. His string of consecutive games is simply amazing. Hated him, but respect him.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Do us all a Favre, retire Brett!

MWM
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Wow, a player plays a sport the way most fans love for players to play - 100% all the time - and he's being panned when he announces his retirement. He might not be a top 5 QB, but he sure as hell was a great one and he played with an enthusiasm rarely seen outside elementary school playgrounds, and he can't get any respect here? The NFL needs a hell of a lot more Brett Favre's. He deserves the send off he's getting by the media.

RedFanAlways1966
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
He might not be a top 5 QB, but he sure as hell was a great one and he played with an enthusiasm rarely seen outside elementary school playgrounds... The NFL needs a hell of a lot more Brett Favre's. He deserves the send off he's getting by the media.

Agreed (I am not a Packers fan). Great player... won the MVP three times! Repeat... 3X MVP. 2nd longest start streak in NFL history. Led his team to two Super Bowls and one Super Bowl win. Held on too long? Perhaps, but he did win the 2007 NFC offensive player of the year award.

Now lets hope, since he has more time on his hands, he doesn't go to any hot tub parties at old friend Mark Chmura's house. ;)

MaineRed
03-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Why does he deserve the send-off more than all the guys before him?

Great QB but the man love is annoying. That is all anyone outside Green Bay's division rivals is saying.

Suggesting he held on too long after the season he just posted is the least respectful thing said in this thread.

sonny
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I loved him as a player, but am glad to hear he's finally retiring. The whole will he/ wont he act got old every year.

rotnoid
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Favre was one of the last reasons I still watch the NFL. He was fun in a league that's become predictable (at least to me). It won't be the same without him. I think a lot of folks in the media realize the same thing. Is he in the top 5 all time? That's a matter of opinion, but he's in mine.

SeeinRed
03-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Wow, a player plays a sport the way most fans love for players to play - 100% all the time - and he's being panned when he announces his retirement. He might not be a top 5 QB, but he sure as hell was a great one and he played with an enthusiasm rarely seen outside elementary school playgrounds, and he can't get any respect here? The NFL needs a hell of a lot more Brett Favre's. He deserves the send off he's getting by the media.

Agree 100%. Very well said.

I loved him as a player, but am glad to hear he's finally retiring. The whole will he/ wont he act got old every year.

I blame the act more on the media than Brett. He didn't set his team back one bit like many said he would IMO. More was made about the Packers being caught in the middle than was actually true. Just like people claim the media is sensationalizing his retirement, I would argue that the media was sensationalizing his impact on the teams rebuilding process and him leaving the team in a tough position.

pedro
03-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Honestly, the NFL sucks.

Brett Favre at least made it watchable.

WMR
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
YES. I say yes he will.

He's already laying the groundwork to come back.

Highlifeman21
04-10-2008, 04:42 PM
No, b/c the Packers will have shifted their direction and focus to a squad without Brett, and they still own his rights (since he hasn't filed his retirement papers) and I don't see them trading Brett Favre or the rights to Brett Favre to any other team in the league.

It would be a PR nightmare.

WMR
04-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh I think he'll be back with the Packers. First hint of trouble for Aaron, and the cheeseheads will be calling for Brett.

Highlifeman21
04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh I think he'll be back with the Packers. First hint of trouble for Aaron, and the cheeseheads will be calling for Brett.

With the draft fast approaching on the horizon, I would have to think the Packers are trying to twist every screw and push every button Brett Favre has to get a definitive answer out of him.

Pretty low class for Favre to leave the Packers hanging, but it wouldn't surprise me if they draft knowing he'll be back in 2008.

SeeinRed
04-11-2008, 09:38 AM
With the draft fast approaching on the horizon, I would have to think the Packers are trying to twist every screw and push every button Brett Favre has to get a definitive answer out of him.

Pretty low class for Favre to leave the Packers hanging, but it wouldn't surprise me if they draft knowing he'll be back in 2008.

How exactly is he leaving them hanging. He has already said he won't be back and from what I understand all he did was answer a reporter's question as to wether or not he would come back if the Packers asked him to. He said the only way he would come back is if the Packers reached out to him because of injuries or whatever. The hatred for Favre is absolutely puzzling to me. Everyone gets mad when he doesn't say wether or not he will come back when most of the questions come from the media not the team itself. They say he is handcuffing the team and he won't let them move on. Sure seemed like a problem last year didn't it? Then people get mad when he does retire because they think the media is making too big of a deal out of it. He was Green Bay football while he was there. He is one of the greatest players of all time IMO. He was a big part of what made football fun to watch. Now everyone is upset because he answered a question truthfully. When asked if he would consider coming back if the Packers asked him, he said it would be hard to pass up. Can't say I disagree with him there. Its a non-story. He has said he is done, and barring an injury I believe he is. Talk about a statement taken out of context by the national media. Now by answering a question he becomes low class. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

Yachtzee
04-12-2008, 10:04 AM
How exactly is he leaving them hanging. He has already said he won't be back and from what I understand all he did was answer a reporter's question as to wether or not he would come back if the Packers asked him to. He said the only way he would come back is if the Packers reached out to him because of injuries or whatever. The hatred for Favre is absolutely puzzling to me. Everyone gets mad when he doesn't say wether or not he will come back when most of the questions come from the media not the team itself. They say he is handcuffing the team and he won't let them move on. Sure seemed like a problem last year didn't it? Then people get mad when he does retire because they think the media is making too big of a deal out of it. He was Green Bay football while he was there. He is one of the greatest players of all time IMO. He was a big part of what made football fun to watch. Now everyone is upset because he answered a question truthfully. When asked if he would consider coming back if the Packers asked him, he said it would be hard to pass up. Can't say I disagree with him there. Its a non-story. He has said he is done, and barring an injury I believe he is. Talk about a statement taken out of context by the national media. Now by answering a question he becomes low class. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

While I'm no "Favre Hater," I do think that Favre not filing his retirement papers does handcuff the Packers if he's still under contract. That means they either have to pay his salary and keep a spot for him on the roster or they have to cut him, neither of which is an ideal situation for the team. If Favre is retired, then it is best he get on with it so that the team can fill his spot on the roster with another player. If he's not retired, then they need to know so they can either get him into camp or cut him (which could be a PR nightmare in Green Bay). If only coming back if someone is hurt and the Packers need him, then go ahead and file retirement papers. You can unretire and sign a short-term contract later if the situation arises. In the meantime, you have to make things clear for the Packers so they can plan accordingly.

GoReds33
04-12-2008, 10:24 AM
While I'm no "Favre Hater," I do think that Favre not filing his retirement papers does handcuff the Packers if he's still under contract. That means they either have to pay his salary and keep a spot for him on the roster or they have to cut him, neither of which is an ideal situation for the team. If Favre is retired, then it is best he get on with it so that the team can fill his spot on the roster with another player. If he's not retired, then they need to know so they can either get him into camp or cut him (which could be a PR nightmare in Green Bay). If only coming back if someone is hurt and the Packers need him, then go ahead and file retirement papers. You can unretire and sign a short-term contract later if the situation arises. In the meantime, you have to make things clear for the Packers so they can plan accordingly.All they have to do is put him on the reserve-retired list. That allows them not to pay him, and he doesn't take up a roster spot.

SeeinRed
04-12-2008, 11:53 AM
While I'm no "Favre Hater," I do think that Favre not filing his retirement papers does handcuff the Packers if he's still under contract. That means they either have to pay his salary and keep a spot for him on the roster or they have to cut him, neither of which is an ideal situation for the team. If Favre is retired, then it is best he get on with it so that the team can fill his spot on the roster with another player. If he's not retired, then they need to know so they can either get him into camp or cut him (which could be a PR nightmare in Green Bay). If only coming back if someone is hurt and the Packers need him, then go ahead and file retirement papers. You can unretire and sign a short-term contract later if the situation arises. In the meantime, you have to make things clear for the Packers so they can plan accordingly.

GoReds33 beat me to it, but I don't see how he is handcuffing this team. He has declared his intentions, the team will move on from there. Favre is not a Packer unless there is an injury to Rogers. Thats pretty clear it would appear. Maybe you don't believe he retires until he files the paper. Its all up for argument, but I do believe that this story is being blow way out of proportion by the media. I don't believe your a Farve hater, and even though my response was to Highlifeman's post I don't think he is a Favre hater. I do however think saying Favre is being low class is a bit extreme. If the Packers don't move on its nobody's fault but their own. I would have no hard feelings toward the Packers if they did tell Brett that they were moving in a different direction if he tried to come back. I think most fans would feel the same way. Favre declared retirement. I still don't think he will even attempt to come back though, and I still think it is a non-story that he still hasn't filed his papers and he said he would be willing to come back.

Highlifeman21
04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Sorry that you thought me calling Favre "low class" was extreme, but I would just like a definitive answer from him.

He's "retired", but if they call next year and need him, he's planted the seed for a comeback. I honestly think it will be hard for the Packers to move forward 100% away from Favre while Favre still lingers in the shadows.

If this was any other QB, it wouldn't be a story, but Brett Favre has been the Packers forever. I don't think there's any easy passing of the torch, especially with an icon like Favre.

Slam dunk HOF, IMO.

SeeinRed
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry that you thought me calling Favre "low class" was extreme, but I would just like a definitive answer from him.

He's "retired", but if they call next year and need him, he's planted the seed for a comeback. I honestly think it will be hard for the Packers to move forward 100% away from Favre while Favre still lingers in the shadows.

If this was any other QB, it wouldn't be a story, but Brett Favre has been the Packers forever. I don't think there's any easy passing of the torch, especially with an icon like Favre.

Slam dunk HOF, IMO.

From the Packers end, if they tank and Rogers either is injured or they decide he isn't the future of the franchise, what would be better than having a future HOFer/fan favorite ready to come in and take the helm for the remainder of the season to keep the fans from going into a full riot? I see your point that the Packers need to get away from having him as a fall back option. That would seem to be entirely in their control though. Simple solution, don't ask him to come back. Its up to them to commit to the future without Favre and I don't think Favre will be too unhappy if they do move on. We'll see in the future. It will be rough for a couple years more than likely, but I think they will be ok. The question will be can this team find a new identity without Brett and how will they replace his leadership.

Highlifeman21
04-14-2008, 11:35 AM
From the Packers end, if they tank and Rogers either is injured or they decide he isn't the future of the franchise, what would be better than having a future HOFer/fan favorite ready to come in and take the helm for the remainder of the season to keep the fans from going into a full riot? I see your point that the Packers need to get away from having him as a fall back option. That would seem to be entirely in their control though. Simple solution, don't ask him to come back. Its up to them to commit to the future without Favre and I don't think Favre will be too unhappy if they do move on. We'll see in the future. It will be rough for a couple years more than likely, but I think they will be ok. The question will be can this team find a new identity without Brett and how will they replace his leadership.

That's a great point, I think largely overlooked in everything going on with Favre and the Packers.

Favre was the face of the Packers. Favre was the undeniable leader of the Packers.

I don't see Aaron Rodgers replacing him in either aspect, so the question you've precisely pinpointed remains "Who will become the new face of the Pakcers and who becomes the new leader of the Packers?"

SeeinRed
04-14-2008, 01:10 PM
That's a great point, I think largely overlooked in everything going on with Favre and the Packers.

Favre was the face of the Packers. Favre was the undeniable leader of the Packers.

I don't see Aaron Rodgers replacing him in either aspect, so the question you've precisely pinpointed remains "Who will become the new face of the Pakcers and who becomes the new leader of the Packers?"

I don't see Aaron Rodgers as a replacement in that area either, and it is going to be tough following Favre. Almost unfair. I don't know that one player will ever have the affect on the GB franchise that Favre had. It will definately be interesting. The Packers are in a sticky situation, not because of the what if with Favre, but because of the player Favre was. You want that type of player on your team, but he leaves a pretty big void once he is gone. I've never been a huge GB fan, but I have always admired Brett Favre. I will be watching with a great deal of intrest to see how they cope post Favre.

The question is, do you think they will look for another QB in FA or the draft in case Rodgers fails?

Highlifeman21
04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't see Aaron Rodgers as a replacement in that area either, and it is going to be tough following Favre. Almost unfair. I don't know that one player will ever have the affect on the GB franchise that Favre had. It will definately be interesting. The Packers are in a sticky situation, not because of the what if with Favre, but because of the player Favre was. You want that type of player on your team, but he leaves a pretty big void once he is gone. I've never been a huge GB fan, but I have always admired Brett Favre. I will be watching with a great deal of intrest to see how they cope post Favre.

The question is, do you think they will look for another QB in FA or the draft in case Rodgers fails?

I've touched upon this with my contention that Favre's keeping the Packers in limbo. 2 things are going on with the Packers.

1. They draft regardless of what Brett Favre does in 2008.
2. They draft knowing that Brett Favre is an emergency unretiree.

For the Packers sake, I hope they are 100% onboard with drafting regardless of Brett Favre. I can't see the Packers drafting a QB, regardless of what happens with Favre. I can't remember off the top of my head if David Carr is available, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is available if he ends up a Packer. In 2008, the Packers will quickly learn if Aaron Rodgers is their next franchise QB or not, but I don't think they draft a QB to light a fire under him. They'll get a QB, and that player will come via FA.

SeeinRed
04-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I've touched upon this with my contention that Favre's keeping the Packers in limbo. 2 things are going on with the Packers.

1. They draft regardless of what Brett Favre does in 2008.
2. They draft knowing that Brett Favre is an emergency unretiree.

For the Packers sake, I hope they are 100% onboard with drafting regardless of Brett Favre. I can't see the Packers drafting a QB, regardless of what happens with Favre. I can't remember off the top of my head if David Carr is available, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is available if he ends up a Packer. In 2008, the Packers will quickly learn if Aaron Rodgers is their next franchise QB or not, but I don't think they draft a QB to light a fire under him. They'll get a QB, and that player will come via FA.

I think this is the primary difference in our opinion on the Brett Favre retirement. I think it is the responsibility of the Packers to make sure they don't need Favre to come back, or at least they should have the discipline to not give into the temptation to bring Favre in if things go badly. I don't think their future should hinge on wether or not they can use Favre as an option. They should move on, and if they don't, I would have a hard time blaming Favre for being there if they ask him to come back. That would be a disaster for the Packers though.

I agree with you that they won't draft a QB. I worry that any young QB might try to become another Favre and in the process fail miserably. The fans might see Rodgers isn't Favre and give up too soon. A QB like Favre doesn't come around too often. Brady, Manning, Favre, and even Palmer are special QB's and Palmer isn't even on the same level as the others (yet). Palmer may never reach the level of leadership the others have reached.

Overall, I think the Packers need to move on and take the lumps. If they are half the franchise they seem to be, they will win again. I"m sure there will be some really unhappy fans if and when they lose, but rebuilding takes time. Might as well get on with it, because the sooner its over with the better. Winning cures all they say.

I don't know, maybe I'm naive and believe that my hero, couldn't cause problems on his team, but I really do believe the responsibility fall squarely on the shoulders of the franchise.

CrackerJack
04-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I hope not, because I don't feel like hearing about him 24/7 for another 6-8 months! He bores me to death, it would be different if he were "that" good at this point in his career. Frankly, he's not all that good anymore at all.

Sabo Fan
04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
What you're seeing and hearing out of Favre is exactly what he's done his entire career. The man craves attention and loves to stir it up and get people to notice him. Most of the time it comes from his agent acting as a mouthpiece for him, but every now and then he'll actually say something himself. This retirement brouhaha is no different. Sure he may actually end up calling it quits 100%, but he's going to be in the spotlight for the duration of this little trip.

There's one thing Favre loves more than football and that's Brett Favre. He knows he's a media darling and he's going to make sure we pay as much attention to him and his situation as possible. My guess is that the spectre of Favre looms all year in Green Bay and the first time Aaron Rodgers wakes up sore the morning after a game Favre will be on the first jet out of Mississippi back to Wisconsin. He'll be hailed a savior and the whole spectacle will play out in a similar fashion next offseason but he'll ultimately stay retired that time. It's like breaking up with a girl: the first time usually doesn't take.

SeeinRed
04-18-2008, 11:42 AM
What you're seeing and hearing out of Favre is exactly what he's done his entire career. The man craves attention and loves to stir it up and get people to notice him. Most of the time it comes from his agent acting as a mouthpiece for him, but every now and then he'll actually say something himself. This retirement brouhaha is no different. Sure he may actually end up calling it quits 100%, but he's going to be in the spotlight for the duration of this little trip.

There's one thing Favre loves more than football and that's Brett Favre. He knows he's a media darling and he's going to make sure we pay as much attention to him and his situation as possible. My guess is that the spectre of Favre looms all year in Green Bay and the first time Aaron Rodgers wakes up sore the morning after a game Favre will be on the first jet out of Mississippi back to Wisconsin. He'll be hailed a savior and the whole spectacle will play out in a similar fashion next offseason but he'll ultimately stay retired that time. It's like breaking up with a girl: the first time usually doesn't take.

From everything I've ever read about Favre he has never "craved attention." I don't remember him doing this every year either, or him ever declaring himself retired before like he has this year. It would seem to me the media is creating these stories, not Brett. He did an interview and was asked if he would come back. He said only if the Packers asked him to. I'm sure he asked for that interview though.:rolleyes:

Its just rediculous that he is labled an attention hog. He seems to be a pretty quiet guy according to most. He does nothing like TO or Chad Johnson. He is a lot of things, a future HOFer, but I don't think he is an attention hog at all. When has Brett himself ever drawn attention to himself? When has he went out and created a story about himself? Do you really think his decisions would have been different if the media would have left him alone? Do you think it would have been made quicker? Come on. The story has always been created by the media, not Brett.

Highlifeman21
04-19-2008, 09:06 AM
From everything I've ever read about Favre he has never "craved attention." I don't remember him doing this every year either, or him ever declaring himself retired before like he has this year. It would seem to me the media is creating these stories, not Brett. He did an interview and was asked if he would come back. He said only if the Packers asked him to. I'm sure he asked for that interview though.:rolleyes:

Its just rediculous that he is labled an attention hog. He seems to be a pretty quiet guy according to most. He does nothing like TO or Chad Johnson. He is a lot of things, a future HOFer, but I don't think he is an attention hog at all. When has Brett himself ever drawn attention to himself? When has he went out and created a story about himself? Do you really think his decisions would have been different if the media would have left him alone? Do you think it would have been made quicker? Come on. The story has always been created by the media, not Brett.

Brett Favre is not TO or Ocho Cinco, but IMO he is an attention hog, just a different kind of breed. Now hear me out....

As we've discussed in this thread, Brett Favre is Packers football. He's the face of that franchise, he's the leader of that team, etc. That came through his play on the field, and the fact that he has a ridiculous games played streak while playing a position where streaks like his don't happen. He became an attention hog through the fault of his work ethic, his longevity, and his productivity. I don't want anyone to take the word "fault" with bad connotation, but rather I don't think all this attention was the desired result Favre ever wanted. While I don't think Brett Favre is the best QB ever, he's easily within the top 10 all-time, and I'm sure there are some good arguments he might even be top 5.

Favre's had a very heavily reported professional and personal life. Went through a pain killer problem. Wife had cancer. His name was thrown around along with the Mannings for helping rebuild the Gulf areas of Mississippi and Louisiana after the hurricanes. Favre gets press for everything, and IMO it's the direct result of him being the face of the Packers. For the last few years, retirement has been the topic revolving around Favre, but it wasn't until this current offseason that he officially said he's hanging it up. B/c retirement has been a recurring topic within the last few years, I can't hold it against the public or the media for having some skepticism as to if Favre really is retired, and if he'll really stay retired in 2008. Unfortunately, recently Favre honestly answered a question saying something to the effect of "if the Packers need me and call me, it'll be hard to say no and comeback." That answer right there just fueled more cynicism and skeptism.

SeeinRed, you're absolutely right, IMO, that Favre isn't intentionally trying to throw the spotlight on himself, and most likely isn't creating stories, but the media is acting like papparazzi concerning him. Unfortunately, due to all of Favre's accomplishments, anything he does in any sphere of influence the media considers a story due to who he is and what he's done. Consider it the nature of the beast.

I'm sure Favre wants to just ride off into the sunset and be left alone, but in today's age of instant gratification concerning the media and sports, I don't think that's an option.

SeeinRed
04-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Brett Favre is not TO or Ocho Cinco, but IMO he is an attention hog, just a different kind of breed. Now hear me out....

As we've discussed in this thread, Brett Favre is Packers football. He's the face of that franchise, he's the leader of that team, etc. That came through his play on the field, and the fact that he has a ridiculous games played streak while playing a position where streaks like his don't happen. He became an attention hog through the fault of his work ethic, his longevity, and his productivity. I don't want anyone to take the word "fault" with bad connotation, but rather I don't think all this attention was the desired result Favre ever wanted. While I don't think Brett Favre is the best QB ever, he's easily within the top 10 all-time, and I'm sure there are some good arguments he might even be top 5.

Favre's had a very heavily reported professional and personal life. Went through a pain killer problem. Wife had cancer. His name was thrown around along with the Mannings for helping rebuild the Gulf areas of Mississippi and Louisiana after the hurricanes. Favre gets press for everything, and IMO it's the direct result of him being the face of the Packers. For the last few years, retirement has been the topic revolving around Favre, but it wasn't until this current offseason that he officially said he's hanging it up. B/c retirement has been a recurring topic within the last few years, I can't hold it against the public or the media for having some skepticism as to if Favre really is retired, and if he'll really stay retired in 2008. Unfortunately, recently Favre honestly answered a question saying something to the effect of "if the Packers need me and call me, it'll be hard to say no and comeback." That answer right there just fueled more cynicism and skeptism.

SeeinRed, you're absolutely right, IMO, that Favre isn't intentionally trying to throw the spotlight on himself, and most likely isn't creating stories, but the media is acting like papparazzi concerning him. Unfortunately, due to all of Favre's accomplishments, anything he does in any sphere of influence the media considers a story due to who he is and what he's done. Consider it the nature of the beast.

I'm sure Favre wants to just ride off into the sunset and be left alone, but in today's age of instant gratification concerning the media and sports, I don't think that's an option.

Oh, I totally agree with you Highlifeman. You couldn't have said it better. I just find it unfair to blame Favre for all the media coverage and to say he creates his own stories is complete bunk IMO. He had become a media darling because of who he is and what he has been through. I have no problems saying that he is the center of attention, and he does want that in the sense that it means he has done well and worked hard. Again, well said Highlifeman.

Sabo Fan
04-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Don't let the small-town Southern boy persona fool you, Favre knows exactly what he's doing and how to go about manipulating the media to get what he wants. He holds a press conference at the drop of a hat and loves the camera. Yeah he gets a ton of attention for being a top QB and the face of the Packers franchise, but he could keep it to a bearable amount if he wanted. Brady is media darling but you don't hear nearly as much about him and his family as you do Favre. His wife had her own show for a time. Same with any number of other great QB's like Steve Young or Joe Montana. They are all great athletes but at a certain point they can say enough is enough. Favre doesn't.

Then there's the once a year ritual of him essentially holding the Packers hostage with whether he'll retire or not. It's selfish and self-serving and it may be the biggest reason why there's a bit of backlash (I think there isn't enough personally) towards Favre and the games he plays each offseason for the last three or four years. Now the interesting part is that for the most part, Favre keeps quiet during this time and uses his agent, Bus Cook, at his mouthpiece. Cook isn't one of these super agents, so the guy isn't what you would call media savvy, but he is when it comes from Favre. I find that interesting.

I'm not saying a portion of the fanfare around Favre isn't created by the media because it most surely is. What I am saying is that over the years Favre has been smart enough to use it to his advantage and does nothing to stop it or reduce it. He uses it to further his own causes but gets away with what amounts to manipulation because it's just assumed that he wouldn't do something like that. Well he could and he does. It's not sinister really, but don't think for a minute that his media-savvy nature hasn't made him a few bucks or gotten his team to get some added firepower.

Chip R
04-20-2008, 12:26 AM
I think this is the primary difference in our opinion on the Brett Favre retirement. I think it is the responsibility of the Packers to make sure they don't need Favre to come back, or at least they should have the discipline to not give into the temptation to bring Favre in if things go badly. I don't think their future should hinge on wether or not they can use Favre as an option. They should move on, and if they don't, I would have a hard time blaming Favre for being there if they ask him to come back. That would be a disaster for the Packers though.

I agree. They cannot act on what Favre may or may not do. It was his decision to retire. He wasn't cut or traded, he retired of his own free will. Fish or cut bait, Brett. If you still think you can play, go to training camp and see if you can still play. Otherwise, we'll see you in Canton in 5 years. The Packers cannot let him hold them hostage.

Let's say Rodgers plays well and gets the Pack off to a hot start but in the 5th or 6th week, he gets hurt. Not serious to be out for the season but something that may take the rest of the regular season to recover from. Favre comes out of retirement and GB makes the playoffs. Rodgers is ready. Favre played well enough to make the playoffs. Who's the QB?

Let's say Rodgers gets off to a bad or mediocre start. The Pack is sub .500. The talk shows in Milwaukee are crucifying Rodgers and begging for Favre to come back. Now ESPN picks upon it and it's a national story. They go down to Mississippi and interview Favre. He confirms he's retired but leaves the door open a crack by saying things like, "If the team needs me and the fans want me back, I'd consider it." So now it becomes a groundswell and not only Wisconsin but seemingly most of the U.S. want Favre to come back. Naturally he can't turn them down and he unretires and G.B. brings him back. What happens at the end of the year? Does Favre retire again? Does he go into his Hamlet act and wait till mid-spring to announce whether he's coming back? Does he actually committ to coming back?

I think he is somewhat of an attention hound. But Green Bay needs to eventually cut the cord wih Favre whether it's Matt Rodgers or Mr. Rogers at QB. Favre is going to actually retire one day and G.B has to focus on the future, not the past.

Highlifeman21
04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
I agree. They cannot act on what Favre may or may not do. It was his decision to retire. He wasn't cut or traded, he retired of his own free will. Fish or cut bait, Brett. If you still think you can play, go to training camp and see if you can still play. Otherwise, we'll see you in Canton in 5 years. The Packers cannot let him hold them hostage.

Let's say Rodgers plays well and gets the Pack off to a hot start but in the 5th or 6th week, he gets hurt. Not serious to be out for the season but something that may take the rest of the regular season to recover from. Favre comes out of retirement and GB makes the playoffs. Rodgers is ready. Favre played well enough to make the playoffs. Who's the QB?

Let's say Rodgers gets off to a bad or mediocre start. The Pack is sub .500. The talk shows in Milwaukee are crucifying Rodgers and begging for Favre to come back. Now ESPN picks upon it and it's a national story. They go down to Mississippi and interview Favre. He confirms he's retired but leaves the door open a crack by saying things like, "If the team needs me and the fans want me back, I'd consider it." So now it becomes a groundswell and not only Wisconsin but seemingly most of the U.S. want Favre to come back. Naturally he can't turn them down and he unretires and G.B. brings him back. What happens at the end of the year? Does Favre retire again? Does he go into his Hamlet act and wait till mid-spring to announce whether he's coming back? Does he actually committ to coming back?

I think he is somewhat of an attention hound. But Green Bay needs to eventually cut the cord wih Favre whether it's Matt Rodgers or Mr. Rogers at QB. Favre is going to actually retire one day and G.B has to focus on the future, not the past.

Aside from it being Aaron Rodgers, rather than Matt Rodgers, everything else you said was spot on.

Well put, Chip.

Sabo Fan
04-24-2008, 08:20 PM
From Rotoworld:

Brett Favre told David Letterman on the Late Show that he feels "something's bound to happen" when training camp time rolls around.

Letterman asked him what he meant. "I don't know," Favre responded. "Did I just say that?...Butterflies, or - I don't know, something's bound to happen." Favre really isn't doing much to diffuse speculation he may feel the urge to play in 2008. His official retirement papers still aren't in.

Nah, he's not seeking attention or drawing this out at all. I'd expect a couple more "slip ups" like this in the coming months all leading up to his return a couple of weeks before the season.

WMR
04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
:laugh:

SeeinRed
04-25-2008, 02:34 PM
From Rotoworld:

Nah, he's not seeking attention or drawing this out at all. I'd expect a couple more "slip ups" like this in the coming months all leading up to his return a couple of weeks before the season.

From John Fay's blog:

-- Good Guy Award: Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre

This award is given for the player who best helped the media do its job. A PFWA member who nominated Favre said there was "no better interview in the game. Ask the guy a question and he'll bare his soul."

Favre not only gave detailed, honest answers but increased his availability to national and out-of-town reporters. Leading into games, Favre did more conference calls than in previous seasons with media covering the opposition even knowing he would inevitably be asked the same questions about his possible retirement.

Favre answered the inquiries with class and dignity before making his retirement official in March.

The media is drawn toward him for reasons stated above, he doesn't bait the media into a story about himself out of a craving for attention. He gets the spotlight not because he is a great self-promoter, but because his work ethic and talent has put him in the spotlight along with a lot of his personal struggles that wouldn't have even been made public if he wasn't such a likable guy.

AmarilloRed
05-03-2008, 01:38 AM
He will find some way to return to the field next year.

WVRed
07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't know who is more of a drama queen, Brett Favre or Roger Clemens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3471189

With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source said.

On ESPN's NFL Live, Packers defensive back Al Harris said: "I've talked to Brett and I know he has the itch to come back and play. If he will or not, I don't know. But I know he's feeling he wants to play."

When asked how Favre expressed his desire to return, Harris said the quarterback said, "I got the itch."

The source said the Packers would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him [to play]."

Another source conceded Favre was "getting the itch" to play football in 2008.

"As far as I know, right now, Brett Favre is retired and until he tells me something different, that's what it is," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, said.

Favre was unavailable for comment. A Packers spokesman said that McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson were on vacation.

"The Packers have no reaction," team spokesman Jeff Blumb told The Associated Press.

Favre has two years remaining on his contract at an average of about $12.5 million per season. His salary is not currently counting toward the salary cap because the Packers placed him on the reserve-retired list.

If Favre decides that he absolutely wants to play this season, the Packers could be confronted with a sensitive issue. The entire offseason has been spent preparing Aaron Rodgers to play quarterback to the point where "the offensive scheme has evolved" and, psychologically, closing the door on Favre's legendary 17-year career.

"As a veteran and as a leader of the team," Harris said on NFL Live, "I would welcome Brett with open arms. "

He added: "We embrace Aaron. We support Aaron. Aaron is our quarterback. Brett is retired, but if he wants to come back, there will be some guys that wouldn't mind it."

NFL.com Video

Highlights of Favre's best 2007 moments.
If the Packers resist a stronger push by Favre to return, sources speculate that the quarterback could press the team to release him from his contract so that he could seek a job with another team. A league official said that Favre could force a decision by asking the Packers, in writing, to reinstate him to active status. The team would have to comply or release him.

"That's speculation and I wouldn't go there," a team source said. "We value Brett's legacy, we think he values it, and we'd want to protect that. Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far. He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]. This was almost predictable, the idea that Brett would get the itch to play as we get closer to the season."

In an interview done with ESPN around the time Favre retired in early March, McCarthy predicted Favre "will have an itch to come back. I saw Joe Montana go through it, even though I was a younger coach in Kansas City at the time."

McCarthy said it was Favre who convinced the coach that retirement was the "right thing to do."

"I tried to talk him out of retirement," McCarthy said back in March. "Tom Clements [Green Bay's quarterbacks coach] and I were trying to sell him on the concept that he could still play at a high level with 80 to 85 percent of the commitment he had last year. Brett thought that maybe he could do it but he reasoned that when you cut back the commitment, you open yourself up to injury, to not being on top of your game -- which was very important to Brett -- and letting the team down in the process.

"Really, what Brett did was very honorable because the stress and pressure he feels is a direct result of the standard he sets for himself."

TeamSelig
07-02-2008, 11:13 PM
+1

SeeinRed
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't know who is more of a drama queen, Brett Favre or Roger Clemens.

In other news, Favre farted and it sounded like his butt said it wanted to play football, further proof that he will probably come back.

Looks like the media thinks its time for some more Favre drama. Of course he is going to have an itch to play. The guy played, and played well on the biggest stage in his sport. Not many people would want to give that up.

WVRed
07-03-2008, 04:50 PM
In other news, Favre farted and it sounded like his butt said it wanted to play football, further proof that he will probably come back.

Looks like the media thinks its time for some more Favre drama. Of course he is going to have an itch to play. The guy played, and played well on the biggest stage in his sport. Not many people would want to give that up.

Yep, but when Cal Ripken for example decided to call it a career, he didn't for almost three years play with the media constantly to get attention.

Brett Favre and Roger Clemens have both toyed with this, and I don't think its for the "love of the game", but more for the love of self and wanting to be in the spotlight.

It was sincere the first time. It got old the second time. The third time right before training camp, you just need to stop. If I were Aaron Rodgers and Favre did come back, I would try to pursue a trade or release. God knows he couldn't be any worse than what is in Chicago.

SeeinRed
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Yep, but when Cal Ripken for example decided to call it a career, he didn't for almost three years play with the media constantly to get attention.

Brett Favre and Roger Clemens have both toyed with this, and I don't think its for the "love of the game", but more for the love of self and wanting to be in the spotlight.

It was sincere the first time. It got old the second time. The third time right before training camp, you just need to stop. If I were Aaron Rodgers and Favre did come back, I would try to pursue a trade or release. God knows he couldn't be any worse than what is in Chicago.

Ripken couldn't have played at the level Favre can still play at. Favre can still play on a high level. The only reason it is a story is because he can still be relevant.

So, because a story pops up it is because Favre wants to be in the spotlight. The story says itself that it was from "somebody close to Favre", which is subjective itself. Its not even based on a comment directly from Favre, but once again, I'm sure Favre told that person to tell the media so he could be the center of attention again.:rolleyes:

Comparing Favre and Clemens is a really far stretch. Its been discussed to no end, but I find it hard to believe that Clemens and Favre have any where close to the same agenda. First, if you read the story, it started because a person "close to Favre" said something. Give me a break. Favre isn't allowed to talk about wanting to play with his family and friends? Every one who has dealt with Favre says he is a good guy. Read my post earlier in the thread where I quoted John Fay's blog. This story comes from ESPN for crying out loud. They want this to be a story. Pretty shoddy piece of jounalism if you ask me.

savafan
07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jZCzGCU29um31S7NFqRSQ8SPdlNw

NEW YORK (AFP) — Brett Favre has asked the Green Bay Packers to release his rights so the retired National Football League quarterback can make a comeback with another team, US sports television network ESPN reported.

Favre retired after last season, when he guided the Packers within a game of the Super Bowl and said his farewells after a historic American football career that included a Super Bowl triumph with the Packers in 1997.

The 38-year-old signal caller who holds the NFL record for career touchdown passes and consecutive starts by a quarterback had reportedly showed interest in a comeback in recent weeks, including workouts near his Mississippi home.

But the Packers had already started making personnel moves without Favre in the plans and executives reportedly wanted to put off any discussion about a return by Favre until after key leaders had completed vacations.

Favre asked his agent to send a letter to the Packers seeking his release three days after Green Bay club executives were told by Favre that he wanted to play in the upcoming season, a reversal of his March decision to retire.

ESPN reported that neither Packers general manager Ted Thompson nor coach Mike McCarthy were enthusiastic about Favre returning, prompting Favre's decision to seek his release and test his chances with other NFL clubs.

The Packers issued a statement Friday that gave no clear indication how the club would respond if Favre wanted to return in 2008, mindful of pre-season training camp set to start later this month.

"Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms," the Packers' statement read. "We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion."

The Packers noted that should Favre write a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell seeking reinstatement to the Packers' active roster, the club would have to comply or release Favre.

"If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team," the statement read.

Favre, who has three years worth 39 million dollars remaining on his NFL contract should he return, does not want to be traded because he wants the freedom of choice on what team he would join.

The Packers, however, are unlikely to want to lose such an asset without compensation, even if Favre was among the most beloved players to wear the green and gold with Green Bay's faithful supporters.

"As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions," the statement read.

Favre is the NFL's all-time leader with 442 touchdown tosses, 5,377 completions, 8,758 attempts and 61,555 yards.

improbus
07-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Call me when the games start...
If Brett is playing, great. If he isn't playing great. Who cares...

Highlifeman21
07-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Part of me wants to see him play for a team not the Packers and go beat the Packers at Lambeau Field.

The other part of me just wants the Bengals to sweep the Browns and the Steelers this season. I don't care what they do in the other 12 games.

KronoRed
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
This has Jordan as a Wizard written all over it.

Highlifeman21
07-12-2008, 01:19 PM
This has Jordan as a Wizard written all over it.

Or Montana as a Kansas City Chief.

Or Willie Mays as a New York Met.

redsfan1966
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Please Brett, stay away. You are becoming a major d---e bag with your antics....

camisadelgolf
07-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd like to see him sign with the Ravens and get a season-ending injury.

Tony Cloninger
07-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Montana was decent with the Chiefs.

Brett is trying to make the packers...the bad guys....he sounds like the jerk to me...the way he is going about trying to plead his case.

KronoRed
07-15-2008, 12:46 PM
If you don't want to retire then...you DON'T retire

Highlifeman21
07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I definitely want to see Favre end up in the Packers division and beat them twice a year.

WVRed
08-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Would this technically count for the Madden curse?

Chip R
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-favreretires&prov=ap&type=lgns

blumj
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
It feels like this thread should be about 5 years old, doesn't it?

macro
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I think I'll go ahead and post this. No sense waiting until July...

Source: Favre has 'itch' to return

July 7, 2009

With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the New York Jets later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Rex Ryan but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Jets source said.

On ESPN's NFL Live, Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said: "I've talked to Brett and I know he has the itch to come back and play. If he will or not, I don't know. But I know he's feeling he wants to play."

When asked how Favre expressed his desire to return, Rhodes said the quarterback said, "I got the itch."

The source said the Jets would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him [to play]."

Another source conceded Favre was "getting the itch" to play football in 2009.

"As far as I know, right now, Brett Favre is retired and until he tells me something different, that's what it is," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, said.

Favre was unavailable for comment.

Favre had two years left on his contract and was due $13 million for this season. His salary is not currently counting toward the salary cap because the Jets placed him on the reserve-retired list.

If Favre decides that he absolutely wants to play this season, the Jets could be confronted with a sensitive issue. The entire offseason has been spent preparing with their new quarterback to the point where "the offensive scheme has evolved" and, psychologically, closing the door on Favre's legendary 17-year career.

"As a veteran and as a leader of the team," Rhodes said on NFL Live, "I would welcome Brett with open arms. "

He added: "We embrace our new quarterback. Brett is retired, but if he wants to come back, there will be some guys that wouldn't mind it."

If the Jets resist a stronger push by Favre to return, sources speculate that the quarterback could press the team to release him from his contract so that he could seek a job with another team. A league official said that Favre could force a decision by asking the Jets, in writing, to reinstate him to active status. The team would have to comply or release him.

"That's speculation and I wouldn't go there," a team source said. "We value Brett's year with us, we think he values it, and we'd want to protect that. Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far. He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]. This was almost predictable, the idea that Brett would get the itch to play as we get closer to the season."

redsfan1966
02-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Brett Farve is a joke---a prima donna who obviously doesnt care about "team"...

macro
05-04-2009, 09:23 AM
The rumblings are getting louder that Favre and the Vikings will be talking about his playing for them in 2009. :D

RedsBaron
05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I liked Favre, the second best QB in Packers history, but this story is getting so old. Part of me hopes he does come back to play for the Vikings. His 2009 season would probably end as happily as did his 2008 season with the Jets.

Chip R
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Sources are saying Favre is going to stay retired... for now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/So-now-Brett-Favre-isn-t-coming-back?urn=nfl,161954

macro
05-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Sources are saying Favre is going to stay retired... for now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/So-now-Brett-Favre-isn-t-coming-back?urn=nfl,161954

Will there be a tearful press conference to confirm that?

Chip R
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Will there be a tearful press conference to confirm that?

Personally, I think Favre's not coming back because ESPN is too focused on Manny now and won't give him any attention. ;)

MrCinatit
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Favre is starting to become football's version of Roger Clemons.

RedsBaron
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Personally, I think Favre's not coming back because ESPN is too focused on Manny now and won't give him any attention. ;)

Maybe the Vikings can sign Manny to play QB.

paintmered
05-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I came up with a completely baseless hypothesis yesterday about Favre. He retires every year to make him exempt from off-season drug testing.

RichRed
05-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Favre is starting to become football's version of Roger Clemons.

Did Favre have an affair with an underage country singer while he was on the juice too?

WMR
08-18-2009, 11:16 AM
ESPN Sourcing TV Stations in Miss. and Minnesota saying he boarded a plane by himself this morning telling the reporters there that "We should know something by dinner" and now ESPN is reporting he WILL Sign with the Vikings later today.

:lol:

WMR
08-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears think Brett is an attention *****. :D

Can't wait till he goes to Lambeau.

Chip R
08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears think Brett is an attention *****. :D

Ain't that the truth.

flyer85
08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
they forgot to drive a stake through his heart

Sea Ray
08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Congrats to the ten people who voted yes in this poll.

WMR
08-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Funny thing is, this poll was for LAST season. :lol:

KoryMac5
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Brett Favre is the story that won't go away. Personally it's his body and if he thinks he can play I am all for it. But what I am tired of is the constant media attention surrounding his will he or won't he decision. I know it's a slow time of the year but there are other things to cover. If I am a Vikings player I would punch the next reporter to ask me about Brett.

redsmetz
08-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Favre is becoming like the swallows of Capistrano or the buzzards of Hinckley Ohio. Or he's going to be the Howard Stassen of football (except Favre has won at the top level).

WVRed
08-18-2009, 03:59 PM
The story I wish would just die.

Seriously, I am starting to think he is going to become another Roger Clemens. Give it a year or two and he will sign with a team for the final five games of the season like Clemens did with the Yankees before the trade deadline.

KronoRed
08-18-2009, 04:10 PM
He will never retire, every year this will happen and even as his skills erode more and more some foolish team will sign him and throw him out there like it's 1997.

Maybe the Bengals can get in on it in a few years if Carson leaves ;)

Blimpie
08-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Good for Brett....Don't let anybody tell you when you are done. Especially when you have a few 6 INT games left in you.

What a tool.

He makes Evander Holyfield appear decisive.

VR
08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Now accepting applications for the Vikings fan club. Division was wrapped up already....Brett just stampted the Super Bowl Ticket.

SKOL

All Aboooooaaarrd!

redsfandan
08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Mon, Oct 5 vs Green Bay
Sun, Nov 1 AT Green Bay

BuckeyeRed27
08-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Mon, Oct 5 vs Green Bay
Sun, Nov 1 AT Green Bay

Say what you want about #4, but I'm not a fan of either team and I'll be watching that game on 11/1 for sure.

RedsBaron
08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
The story I wish would just die.

Seriously, I am starting to think he is going to become another Roger Clemens. Give it a year or two and he will sign with a team for the final five games of the season like Clemens did with the Yankees before the trade deadline.
Shoot, it wouldn't shock me at this point if the Yankees eventually sign him. :rolleyes:
I don't blame Favre for wanting to keep playing. He obviously loves the game. The news coverage does get old though.
For all of his records, if the Packers needed a score with two minutes to go in a championship game, Favre wouldn't even be my first choice among Green Bay QBs to lead the two minute drill. I'd opt for Bart Starr. Starr never had Favre's arm or stats, but he won much more often.

MWM
08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
They're a *little* excited up here in the land of lakes. If he plays even near where he's been the previous 2 years, the Vikings have a legit chance of winning it all. Adrian Peterson should go off now. And this will be the best running game Bret has had in years.

Like others I don't blame him at all for wanting to continue to play. I just think it's very self-serving the way he's handled it. I don't think he ever intended on not playing this year.

WVRed
08-18-2009, 10:47 PM
They're a *little* excited up here in the land of lakes. If he plays even near where he's been the previous 2 years, the Vikings have a legit chance of winning it all. Adrian Peterson should go off now. And this will be the best running game Bret has had in years.

Like others I don't blame him at all for wanting to continue to play. I just think it's very self-serving the way he's handled it. I don't think he ever intended on not playing this year.

It's not so much that I don't blame him for wanting to keep playing, and it was handled A LOT BETTER than last year. Just sick and tired of being spoonfed by ESPN every other day about Brett Favre.

Slyder
08-19-2009, 12:20 AM
10 games a season not make. I hope for the Vikes sake they've figured out when Brett "hits the wall" and has Rosenfel or Jackson ready to jump in.

redsfandan
08-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Say what you want about #4, but I'm not a fan of either team and I'll be watching that game on 11/1 for sure.
I'd watch but I think I'd just end up feeling sorry for the Packers fans the whole game.

texasdave
08-19-2009, 09:19 AM
NM.

Yachtzee
08-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Brett Favre is hoping to be the first zombie to play in the NFL

WVRed
08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
I'd watch but I think I'd just end up feeling sorry for the Packers fans the whole game.

I just hope they behave, but I think we all know how that will turn out.

Chip R
08-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Favre is never going to go into the HOF because he's never going to retire.

Sea Ray
08-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I have no problem with him continuing to play at age 40. Bless him, but I do have a problem with him continuing to change his mind. Three weeks ago the answer was no and now that we're through two a days he changes his mind. If the Vikes do well, all will be forgotten. If he breaks down like he did last year, he'll wish he never came back. He'll be remembered more as a punchline for retirement than football if he's not careful

Bumstead
08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Favre and Clemens: The definition of Prima Dona's!

Chip R
09-09-2009, 04:23 PM
So, Favre says he may not play in all the games for the Vikes. I'm sure they are overjoyed at that news.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4458557

GIDP
09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Hes resilient

Slyder
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I can't believe that the Vikes went out of their way to get a 40 yr old qb who hasnt done offseason conditioning in what 4 years and expected more out of him. This isnt baseball where you can take 2-3 weeks and get back in the groove (Pedro anyone). Football is a collision sport and him not doing the offseason stuff adds to the chance his body quitting and leaving the Vikes up a creek without a paddle.

You reap what you sew, Vikes fans for your sake I hope your coach knows what he's doing.

Hoosier Red
09-10-2009, 12:52 AM
So, Favre says he may not play in all the games for the Vikes. I'm sure they are overjoyed at that news.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4458557

Brad Childress: Um Brett, couldn't you have mentioned this in the car ride to camp?

blumj
01-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Bump...just trying to help out, be prepared.

Deepred05
01-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Jesus not again.....If he doesn't retire after the beating the Saints put on him he aint never gonna retire.

redsfandan
01-25-2010, 03:02 AM
Apparently Jay Glazer has already reported that "every player" in the Vikings' locker room believes that Brett Favre will retire this offseason. And Favre said in his post-game press conference Sunday that he isn't ready to make any decisions about his future.

"I wouldn't say months, I know people will roll their eyes," Favre said when asked how long he'll take. "I really don't want to make a decision right now. I really enjoyed the guys. I just wonder if I can hold up, especially after a day like today, physically and mentally. That was pretty draining."

Personally I'm thinking about calling Favre Phil from now on cuz he's just like the groundhog. The same thing happens every year. It's like it's become a rite of spring for him.

Redsfan320
01-25-2010, 06:57 AM
I don't care about his off-season antics, as long as his final decision is to play. I love seeing him play.

After the pounding he took last night though...

[Prepares to be fried by every member of RZ]

Eric_the_Red
01-25-2010, 07:08 AM
If it means another season ending in heartbreak for Favre and the team he plays on, then I'm all for it. :)

Yachtzee
01-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Is all this retirement business really about retiring for him, or is it a means to keep the guys from ESPN coming over to his house during the off-season so that he doesn't get lonely? ;)

Sea Ray
01-25-2010, 08:58 AM
He may very well retire and un-retire a few times in the off season. We won't know for sure until late August

Trace's Daddy
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5433551

The Vikes should've drafted a better QB.

jimbo
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5433551

The Vikes should've drafted a better QB.

Yeah, and I'm marrying Scarlett Johansson. All of RedsZone is invited to the wedding.

RichRed
08-03-2010, 02:04 PM
No, it's true this time. He reports to the Birmingham Barons tomorrow to begin his baseball career.

texasdave
08-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah, and I'm marrying Scarlett Johansson. All of RedsZone is invited to the wedding.

Let's make it a double wedding. Megan Fox and I were just about to tie the knot anyway. We can have it at GABP right after the Reds win the 7th game of the World Series. Joey Votto will be the best man, naturally.

texasdave
08-03-2010, 02:16 PM
No, it's true this time. He reports to the Birmingham Barons tomorrow to begin his baseball career.

Unless the Harlem Globetrotters up their offer.

KronoRed
08-03-2010, 04:22 PM
So I'm gonna go with September 1st for his un-retirement.

Sea Ray
08-03-2010, 04:31 PM
So I'm gonna go with September 1st for his un-retirement.

I'll take Oct 15th

Hoosier Red
08-03-2010, 04:48 PM
2nd quarter of the first game, or after the Vikings first 3 and out.

RichRed
08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
He'll sign with the Bears in about a month, then finish his career with the Lions at the age of 48, thus completing his circuit of the NFC North.

And THEN it's on to the Globetrotters.

Caveat Emperor
08-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Only 1 more fake retirement and Favre ties current record-holders Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair.

Redsfan320
08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I hope he stays. I'm a big Favre fan myself, but that's just me. His body will force him to stop eventually, though.

Caveat Emperor
08-03-2010, 05:31 PM
As an aside, if this really is the final "real" retirement for Favre (and not a ploy to skip the first few weeks of training camp as I suspect it is), then the Vikings really screwed themselves by not acquiring a more capable backup in the offseason.

They could've had Donovan McNabb, Marc Bulger or Jason Campbell -- and now they're turning over a team that is Super Bowl material to Sage Rosenfels.

I'd be working the phones quickly to see what it would take to acquire someone like Kerry Collins -- because Rosenfels isn't starting-QB material.

redsmetz
08-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Don't forget, Francisco Franco is still dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalissimo_Francisco_Franco_is_still_dead).

RBA
08-04-2010, 07:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5436231

Brett Favre says he will play if healthy

Joseph
08-04-2010, 08:13 PM
At least its not LeBron talk :)

Chip R
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
At least its not LeBron talk :)

And it overshadowed A-Rod's 600th HR. :thumbup:

Sean_CaseyRules
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Favre is back!

http://www.twincities.com/ci_15806126?nclick_check=1

Boston Red
08-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Shocking.

Caveat Emperor
08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Shocking.

Without even looking, I know that the Vikings have no more two-a-days scheduled. ;)

reds1869
08-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Without even looking, I know that the Vikings have no more two-a-days scheduled. ;)

Age and treachery beats youth and skill every time. The old man has to have some way to make it through training camp. :)

jimbo
08-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Wow, never saw that one coming. :rolleyes:

MWM
08-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Well, in all fairness, Favre never actually said he was retiring this time. It was all a media report that he refuted almost as soon as it came out.

Tony Cloninger
08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
The latest from the Onion......Bart Starr Calmly Approaches Brett Favre, Shoots Him, Tips Hat To Reporters, Walks Away.

mlh1981
08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
"What the hell is Brett Favre doing here?!"

Chip R
09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
From The Onion

http://www.theonion.com/articles/brett-favre-apparently-undecided-if-he-will-return,18147/

Chip R
11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Favre's retiring after this season. No, really. He said so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5794477

Roy Tucker
11-12-2010, 10:50 AM
For some odd reason, I really believe him this time. I never did before but this time I do.

SunDeck
11-12-2010, 03:51 PM
There has to be a reality show at some point, right?

Razor Shines
11-19-2010, 02:10 PM
The Onion is pretty funny and its probably true.
http://mobile.theonion.com/articles/brett-favre-claims-hes-one-loss-away-from-careeren,18491/?mobile=true

Chip R
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Stop me if you've heard this before.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981171

MWM
01-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I've got to believe it's for real this time.

KronoRed
01-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Give him a few months to tape himself back together and I bet we see the same old story in August.

Sea Ray
01-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Give him a few months to tape himself back together and I bet we see the same old story in August.

I understand why you'd say that but I think he's really done this time. He'll sign a one day contract with GB and retire as a Packer and that'll be it

RedsBaron
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I understand why you'd say that but I think he's really done this time. He'll sign a one day contract with GB and retire as a Packer and that'll be it

At this point I don't know why Green Bay would want to give him a one day contract. Favre burned his bridge.
Favre has also now been sued by two other women who claim he made unwanted advances.

Sea Ray
01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
At this point I don't know why Green Bay would want to give him a one day contract. Favre burned his bridge.
Favre has also now been sued by two other women who claim he made unwanted advances.

I think you'll see Favre and the Packers kiss and make up. I could be wrong

RedsBaron
01-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I think you'll see Favre and the Packers kiss and make up. I could be wrong

If the allegations are true I will concede that Favre does appear to have a desire to engage in some kissing and related activities.....

Sea Ray
01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Well there's been a lot of smoke and Favre has yet to deny any of it